CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote I use chroma key with a green screen video clip and a png file for the background. everything goes fine until I try to resize my chromakey image. The left hand side of the chroma key box then becomes a hard vertical line right over the image. I would add a screen shot fr ouy to all see, but it doesn't seem possible.

and I am having problems syncing my audio and video. I go through and snyc up the changes of background with the narrative, but when I play it back they go out of sync. Sometimes it works to go right to the beginning of a video and start again but that is an extremely slow process compared with just going to the beginning of the last clip if I could do that. Going back to the last clip even woth a marker in place, the narrative is not synced up any more.

These are two separate issues, but they may be related if they're caused by an outdated video driver. You haven't provided any information at all about your PC, which is why the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread at the top of the forum index lists the steps to run the DxDiag test and then attach the results.

You can hold down the <Alt> + <Print Screen> buttons to take a screenshot of the PD timeline, or hold down the <Win> + <Shift> + <S> keys to activate the screen snipping tool and draw a box around the area you want to capture. Open up Paint (or any other image editor) and paste the screenshot there, then save the image where you can find it. You can then use the Attachments button when you reply.

Once you've shared those details, it'll be easier for people to help.
posted to the wrong thread - sorry!
This is a known issue. Please have him read this post and either download and install the appropriate patch or uninstall the Intel video driver and install an older version. The video driver approach is recommended if the patch version is lower than the installed version of PD.
Quote hey thanks. that kind of worked. gave me some more ideas.
so far i see no way to set these keyframes with a preview. your method gives a preview (great) but no keyframes to edit and no rotation options. my method has keyframes and rotation but no preview.

I don't think you did much more than look at my approach with the timeline preview window

When you open up the PiP Designer, you have all keyframe options available for the track 2 overlaid clip (the partially transparent motorcycle in my attached image), which is clearly aligned over the track 1 clip (the skydiver). If you make the designer full screen, you'll have the best view and you can even zoom in from there if needed (usong the Fit drop-down list at the window's upper right).

Please give this a try because it sounds like it will do everything you're looking for!
Use the forums' Search function and look for 21:9

There are many posts discussing this issue already, along with various answers and workarounds.
In essence you're actually talking about the PDS file itself, which stands for PowerDirectorScript.

It's written in XML, and it contains all of the details about the content and the exact edits you've perfomed on the timeline. Once you've got a project defined, the PDS file is your master script.

To do the same thing to 1k different sets of clips, you could write an app or script to open the master PDS file and swap out every reference to a particular media clip with another one, then save the file with an incremental file name and then keep repeating the process.

To actually produce the clips, you'll have to manually queue up some number at any one time using the Batch Produce function, and unfortunately, you'll also have to manually set the output (produce) profile for every.single.project. unless you happen to want to produce them all to the default profile, which is DVD HQ 720 x 480/60i (8 Mbps).

So yes. PD can do this (with plenty of prep and external support).
Wow - that's really strange! First we don't know where the mystery .png came from, then when I delete it the mask disappeared from the project despite there not being any reference to it in the PDS file! Even worse is that the keyframes don't contain the right details anymore, so you can't simply pick a new mask in the Mask Designer. You have to start all over frown

Tomasc, I see the exact same thing as you when I opened the project just now, so I've recreated the mask (using PD's standard rectangular mask) and packed the project to a new folder.

Sure enough, there's a new "01.png" file, and even though the new PDS project also doesn't contain any code to acces it, it's a critical media piece. Also, it doesn't ever show up in my media library, so I'm not sure why browniee112 saw it in my PD14 project.

Try opening the Rev2 project here. Hopefully everything will be working and then maybe you can copy the timeline and save it in PD16.
Baffling. I wonder if maybe YT had a processing issue this one time. Trying again with the same clip would probably tell you if that's the case or not.

However, YT won't let you upload two identical videos to the same account (even with a name change) so you'll have to use another account - like Tess Ting's.

Changing the audio settings wouldn't seem to be needed since you haven't had problems like this with other vids, and if it really was a processing issue, you might draw the wrong conclusion if changing the audio format worked with the next upload.
There's actually a very straightforward way to accomplish this. Although I was describing the process for a different subject, the key is to use Copy Keyframe Attributes, as described in detail in the middle 2 paragraphs in this post.

Note that if you've done any resizing, rotational, etc. changes to the first clip, those settings will also be applied to the clip you're copying the keyframes to. That's normally what you'd want, but you can always reset or change the settings after you've gotten the main attributes copied.
A search for "music" on the forum gave me 732 hits, several of which are directly related to your question. Here's a very thorough recent discussion that should address your concerns.
The limitations on the demo version clearly state that 2k/4k content is not supported. If you decide to buy PD17, all of those limitations are removed and you'll be able to work with those files. This post has more info.

Although the demo is prompting you to buy the subscription version, you're free to choose whichever version of PD17 should you decide to purchase it.

Back to your 4k iPhone files. The only way I know of to test them with PD is to go ahead and purchase the version you're interested in and try it out. You would then use their 30 day money back guarantee if you're not satisfied, so there isn't any risk in buying the full version upfront.
So here's what I came up with using a mask with just 4 keyframes:

It's much closer than the wipe transition, but you'll need to manually add a few more keyframes to sync it better when the camera motion sped up and slowed down.

The easiest way to do that is to find the frame where the deviation is greatest (like when the biggest section of the pole is accidentally masked) and just align the edge there. PD will automatically recalculate the shift between the new position and the ones set in the keyframes before and after, which should give you a smoother wipe.

The camera also tilted a bit from side to side but you can't adjust the angles in PD's Mask Designer. If you have the NewBlueFX Essentials 6 effects pack installed, you'd be better off using their Garbage Matte effect since you can easily adjust the shape to exactly match the pole's angle.

The downside is that PD14 doesn't allow keyframes on masks, so I had to do this in PD17. I've packed the project and have incuded the PDS file here (which you won't be able to open), so hopefully somebody who has both PD17 and 16 installed could copy the timeline contents and paste them in PD16 and then save and share that project file.

I also think you'd have a much easier time going with a simple shot like this rather than the "red pants" example where you'll have to be matching the person's constantly changing leg angles.
Nothing. I have no idea what that is. It's not in my original project nor in the packed one I linked to (see attached screenshot) and I don't know why it's in your media library. Just ignore it, and see if you can use the mask designer to cut out a section of the Track 2 video clip (with the text) and left the synced clean section of the Track 1 video show through.

Also, thanks for sharing your attempt. One thing to note when sharing a project is to use the File, Pack Project Materials feature. If you simply copy the files to a folder, PD tries to open them in their original locations on your computer. Since the files won't be there on a different computer, the person you've shared the project with has to locate them and point PD to them.

When you pack a project, PD automatically copies all the files to the specified folder AND updates the .pds file to point to the media there. That's why you could open my project and everythig was right there (alongwith that bizzare 02.png file, for some reason).

In your project, using a wipe transition with a straight object like a pole is a wonderful idea, but since you can't change anything about a transition except its duration, you'd have to have a clip that exactly and smoothly matches the wipe speed.

Keyframes and a solid mask would be very easy to work with in your sample, and I thought you'd been using them to get that effect. I'll get your project set up for that and you'll just need to adjust the keyframes along the way because your camera motion isn't perfectly smooth. You practicing with my project will help you become more familiar with the process.
OK. Your YouTube friend didn't give us a clear, full screen view of the opening shot, but he did show it at the beginning and at the end - each with different overlays for his channel. In order to use it in your videos, we'll have to remove all of his graphics.

I've taken the time to sync the two versions and have already masked both of the lower overlays - including placing and adjusting a very picky and time-consuming masked screenshot to cover his social media tags. That one was extra hard because the lower graphics in the first and second full-screen clips occur in that same area and also overlap a little bit time-wise.

Now, your task is to finish masking the remaining text in this project.

Hint: There's a reason I've synced the two clips and placed them on the timeline exactly this way, and it should be a simple step to completely remove the graphics. You can use keyframes to time it, or cut the clip and only apply the mask to the affected section. Use the track enable/disable checkboxes and to help understand all the edits I've done so far.

When you're finished, go ahead and produce it and attach it here since it should be a small enough file.

Have fun!
Highlight the two clips, then right-click and choose Link/Unlink Video and Audio, then click elsewhere to deselect them. You're now free to add/delete/change the duration of the audio and video transitions separately.

The one exception to this is if you've already placed the second transition, then changing the duration of one also changes the other. The solution is to move the audio tracks a bit to the left/right or to another track so there's no connection between them and the video clips, then you can move the tracks back once the transition durations are set.

When you're completely done with the transitions, you can select each A/V section as a pair and use Link/Unlink Video and Audio again to fully restore their connection.
So you're looking to use the same red pants clip as in the tutorial, right?

Also, I have PD13, 14 and 17 on my machine, but not 16. If I make the mask in PD17 you won't be able to open it on your end, so I'll have to do it in PD14 to get you a usable a project with the clip set up.

The down side to that is that some of the features I thought of using are only in 17, so if I go that route I'd have to give you a produced clip with a black (or green) mask that you could chroma-key out on your end.

Let me test out my ideas and see what's going to make the most sense.
Hi Karolyn

I can think of a couple of reasons for your situation. One is that there is sometimes more than one folder with the same name on a computer. For example there may be two or more different folders called "My Videos," and unless you are looking in the same one as where the iPad files were sent, PD won't see them.

There's a great, free tool called Everything which is very fast and will locate literally everything on your laptop in seconds, and all you'll need to do is start typing in the first letters of the name of any of the clips and it will find them. You can download it from here - although as I'm writing this the website appears to be down. Try this CNET link as a backup.

Everything will point you to the exact folder location and you should be able to open them directly in PD.

The other possibility is that the video files that came from your iPad may not be named in a way that Windows can identify them as media files.

For example they would need to end in a recognizable media extension, like .MP4 or .MOV for Windows to "know" they're videos. If they aren't named like that, PD won't see them even if you're looking in the right folder, so you can try changing the All Media Files setting to All Files, like this:

When you import them, PD will try to open them as video files and you should be all set.
Quote I tried with CDR but the motion tracking mask isn't very smooth.

What is the best way to achieve this effect with a 1080/120p footage?

There are a couple ways I can think of that would be easier than going through 120 frames by hand to set the mask.

I'd be willing to try them out on your front clip if you could upload it to the cloud and post a link to it here
A quick workaround is to move the slideshow to another track, and then drag it back into place. You'll be prompted for the appropriate action:

This is clearly a bug and I think you should contact tech support. Copy and paste the link to this thread in your description so they can see how you and Tony have documented the issue. Paste the CS# here once you've submitted your request to close the loop.
Depending on how often you plan on doing this, I can think of a few ways to go although none of them are as simple as layers:

One possible workaround would be to make a copy of the clips in question and paste them on lower tracks and disable the A/V checkboxes on the left end. Disable all of the effects there so you'll have a "clean" copy, but you won't ever risk losing your original changes. You'd need to disable the checkmarks for the main track(s) and enable them on the "clean" one(s) to preview them.

An alternate version would be to paste them in a new project, which you can even insert at the end of your main project and not have to worry about enabling/disabling tracks.

Another idea would be to produce the original timeline and keep a copy in the media library (or disabled on the timeline).

All of these would be appropriate if your timeline content is basically set and you're mostly looking to compare your recent additions to it. You'd have to make a new copy or make the same changes to your existing copy every time you made a content change, which would probably be a lot more work.

Finally, don't forget about project saving and the Undo function. Both of those will protect you from losing things like Color Match which gets reset if you uncheck the box.
Go to: