CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I don't have access to a laptop with a dedicated GPU card so I can't test this out, but I agree that it does sound promising and it might make a huge difference for some users with the right hardware.

It's certainly easy to try, and I would encourage anyone who's been frustrated by PD not being able to use their laptop's nVidia GPU to give it a go and see if it works. Thanks for posting this!
Whenever you have time to go through the steps and share the project is fine. We're all volunteers here, and we have lives outside of the forum too!
CL has reponded that they've been able to confirm this issue, and have now escalated it to their engineering team.
Update: CL has confirmed the issue and has escalated it to their engineering team.
Take a look at this thread. As this is a user forum, the best way to reach the developers is shown in my last post there.
Quote (I didn't uninstall the free version, assuming the application manager would prompt me to do so, if need be.)

Unlike with other programs, it seems like it's generally better to completely uninstall the free/trial version of PD before installing the full version. You may even want to uninstall both versions (using the standard Windows uninstaller) and then use the App Manager to reinstall PD365. I think you can choose to keep your personal settings if you're prompted to do so during the uninstall process.

Another glitch that has appeared after the purchase is after closing the Power Director program, I have to reboot the computer in order to reopen the Power Direct program from either the desktop shortcut or the start up menu.

I'm not sure how long you're waiting after closing PD before tyrying to launch it again, but you may need to wait 5-10 seconds for the background processes to shut down after closing PD before you'll be able to launch it again. If you're using shadow files and PD is still creating them when it's closed, it may take significantly longer for a new session to become available.

The situation can also occur if PD crashes, rather than being closed normally. You can also try the steps listed here (up to and including the EDIT line) to clear the running processes and be able to run PD again.

Thanks for the detailed notes on what you've tried. The note about waiting for waveforms to appear was meant to convey that it takes time for PD to generate them, especially in large projects with lots of timeline clips. If you literally have 2 short clips on the timeline, the waveforms should appear within 5-10 seconds.

In previous versions of PD, those steps were found to be reliable ways of clearing the issue, so what you're experiencing now may look identical but have a completely different underlying cause. While you're waiting to hear back from tech support (which make take several days), it would be very helpful if you could follow the steps I just wrote up for a different thread (although you don't need to attach a screenshot if the audio level is a straight line).

That reminds me of one other thing that's come up recently - by any chance is the audio volume of these clips very low, meaning they're fairly quiet recordings? OP in this thread was frustrated that the waveforms were too small, even with the audio track at max height, and I'd like to determine if the clips audio levels are part of the issue or not.
As you seem to be the only person experiencing this difficulty, it's likely that there's a compatibility issue between PD17 and those specific clips, and a lesser chance that something particular to your computer is what's causing the problem.

If you are comfortable sharing the source files here on the forum, it would be very helpful if you could do the following:

1. Under PD's File menu, there's an option to Pack Project Materials. Please use that and save the project to a cloud folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc. and then paste the link to it here. Other people will then be able to download your project exactly as is and will be able to check what the waveforms look like on their systems.

2. It would also be very helpful if you followed the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attached the DxDiag results, as that will give us critical driver and system details.

3. Finally, please take and attach a screenshot or two of the clip and waveform that doesn't match the audio. You can use this forum button for both the DxDiag text file and the screenshot JPG/PNG images

If you're not comfortable sharing these clips, see if you can recreate the issue with other clips that don't contain sensitive content, or submit a tech support request directly from Cyberlink here.
There isn't anything in the tutorials because other than this enabling this single setting, there isn't anything else you should need to do to get PD to display audio waveforms:

With that said, however, many previous versions of PD did have problems displaying audio waveforms but the specific conditions had been very difficult to reliably recreate, until last year when some forum members finally found a reliable way to both cause the problem and clear it, and that led Cyberlink to finally resolve the issue in PD17.

Here's the post with the 3 steps to solve the original issue, and there's a chance that it will work for your PD18 project.

I'd actually like to have you save a copy of the existing project before you try the above steps, because it would be very valuable to send that project to Cyberlink if PD isn't displaying waveforms.

Please let us know what happens, and I can help with packing and sending your copied project to tech support if needed.
Wow, you've certainly put in more than you're fair share of effort trying to get a usable system. I don't see any red flags in the DxDiag results for PD-related settings and drivers, although the StoreAgentScanForUpdatesFailure0 crashes at the end of the file imply that Windows Update isn't working correctly.

As JL_JL and I each have PD18 running on Win10 systems and both of us are able to import and work with the sample ProRes files, I can't see this issue as related to that combination, although that's the situation you've experienced on multiple platforms.

As I wrote in my last post, I think CL's tech support should be called in as the higher level techs have remote diagnostics and critical inside tech knowledge that may point exactly to why you've been unable to work with the ProRes clips, despite the wide range of installations and hardware you've tried.

I hope they can get this figured out for you!
You have a couple of options.

That suggestion to use shadow files is to help PD handle high resolution clips on less-than top-notch hardware. If you have a reasonably new and powerful PC, you may not need shadow files at all, especially if you're working with HD clips and not 4K.

You can easily try working with shadow files disabled and see if your PC can preview your projects at a usable speed. You will likely need to set the preview resolution to HD, instead of Ultra HD or Full HD, though.

If it turns out that you do need to use shadow files, you can set the auto delete setting for temporary files to something shorter than the 30 days default setting, and/or manually delete them when you finish each project to free up SSD space.
Quote ...But this would be a nice feature to add in future versions where you can have the same timeline media clip to loop when extended.

Then you should let Cyberlink know by using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu. That's the best way to reach them with this kind of feedback.
That's helpful, but packed projects are meant to be universal and should work anywhere. Unfortunately, unless OP had already packed all existing projects before reinstalling Windows, I think it's more likely that they'll encounter the same situation as in my video.

Have you tried just copying the original (unpacked) project over and opening it? I think that'll be closer to OP's situation.
So I did a quick test, and the behavior is mostly as I described, but you actually can't even get the project loaded on the 2nd PC if any of the downloaded objects have uniquely named images. PD will immediately bring up the Browse/Ignore dialog box because the images aren't in the same numbered folder as they were on the original computer.

To create this video, I downloaded the first 3 PIP objects I found on DirectorZone, and even installed them on the 2nd computer, but in a different order. As you can see, PD can't find the expected content because the installation order (and therefore, folder numbers) are different.

There might be a bright side, however, because you can at least copy the image name that PD is looking for and use a fast search utility like Everything to find the exact folder it's located in, and then PD will update the project with the correct location and will automatically load the other images stored there. The downside is that you still have to manually track down the folder for every single downloaded item.

In my video, there were only a few PiP objects, and I could just play "Memory" and track the right folders down. With hundreds or thousands of folders, there's no way other than to search.

One other issue is that many items have generic names, like "Thumb.jpg," and if those are the only files names associated with an item in your original project and there happens to be an image with the identical name in the same numbered folder on the new machine, then PD will load the current (but incorrect) content of that folder and there won't be any message box that anything is different or missing.

In one case, it was only when a client pointed out that we'd used a different kind of confetti particle in the previous version (before the Win10 rebuild) that I realized what had happened. This situation is a real nightmare and one of the main reasons I always make regular system image backups these days.

Have you validated this is in fact the operation. I don't use anything from directorzone so never looked into myself. However, the menu system is somewhat the same in its construct, Menu_XXX for instance. But that XXX number is of little consequence as a html index is used with a menu alias name. So Menu_123 on one system can be Menu_987 on another system yet they will function the same because of xml index and alias name.

Jeff

I wrote this from the experience of having gone through this more than once, and that's exactly what I've seen when I've had to reinstall Windows and PD from the ground up. The existing projects almost always have the wrong transitions, titles, etc.

I believe the impact can be duplicated by opening up a project that includes DZ content on another machine without packing the project first. I expect that the problem will show up even if the same content is downloaded to the 2nd machine, because it likely won't be in the same order as the first PC.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, and the xml/html indices do point to the correct items. I'll do some testing and report back.
I'm afraid that reinstalling thousands of templates is the least of your concerns cry

First, though, the "good" news: If any of the templates were included in past content packs, they're all available from the App Manager (assuming you have the subscription version), and they can be installed in one fell swoop. If you don't have the subscription version, the content pack installers should be stored wherever your downloaded programs are kept. You will need to contact Cyberlink's customer service if you need to get new copies.

Now, I can't imagine that you'd actually use more than a tiny fraction of those 3000 previously downloaded templates, but if they're not in a content pack, you'd need to download/install them one at a time. You can save literally thousands of steps by choosing Run rather than Save or Save As from your browser, and this post may help make browsing the DirectorZone website less of a headache.

The real problem though, is that PD assigns each downloaded item a numbered folder, based on the order each title, frame, PIP, particle, etc. was installed.

When you save a project using any downloaded item, PD simply records the numbered folder where the effect is stored, like C:\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0\MyPinPs\PiP_086.

When you reopen the project on the original machine (and haven't made making any significant changes to the system), everything works as expected. Same if PD is uninstalled and then reinstalled, and also no worries if you're only going to be using the downloaded content in new projects from now on. If the majority of these downloaded effects came from content packs, then reinstalling them should restore the same content/folder arrangement as before, and again you're in the clear.

However, if you've had to reinstall Windows from scratch, then unless you can install every downloaded item in the exact same order as before, your existing projects will almost certainly have the wrong downloaded content applied when you reopen them.

That's because the content of the original "Title_267" folder might now refer to a title that used to be in the "Title_003" folder, for example. The timeline will be always be filled with the current content of each referenced folder, and unfortunately, I don't know of any way to determine what the original contents of those folders were other than by looking at the original videos that were produced.

If you need to edit an existing project, you'd then have to preview all of the relevent choices and then update each project with the correct content before making your new edits. It's a royal PITA

The best possible outcome is if you happened to have made a backup system image of your entire C: drive before you reinstalled Windows, because you'll be able to copy all of the relevent folders to the new installation, and PD will show the correct content whenever you reopen your old projects.

I hope you did that; OR that the vast majority of your downloaded content came from content packs; OR at least that you aren't going to have to go back and update too many old projects...
You'll need to place a second copy of the clip without the Action Center edits on a track above the AC clip, or on a lower, otherwise unused, track with the video track disabled.

You may also need to split the extra clip so that the beginning plays in sync with the AC clip, then starts again after the reverse, unless the revrse happens at the very end and you can simply continue on with normal video from there.
Yeah, this PC was built especially to be my main editing machine. Here's a quick article on the steps needed to create a transparent image on GIMP. A simple internet search will turn up more links (for GIMP and/or Paint.net), if needed.
You have to create the transparent .PNG image outside of PD first.

GIMP and Paint.net are great free programs that will let you do that, and then you can import the image into the Motion Tracker tool and it will work the way you want:

Thanks for confirming. I'll post back once I hear back from tech support.
Thank you for checking. Do you have the subscription version?
Go to: