CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Wow, thanks very much for the detailed answers and for both clips showing the issue.

That's quite surprising and not anything I've seen before in a directly produced clip. The issue has come up on YouTube when the produced video's bitrate was not at a high-enough value. There's a long PD18 thread where that was a secondary issue, but you can see the YT-only artifact here.

That issue seemed to be related to producing with SVRT.

Can you share the producing profile you're using and whether it makes a difference to produce using SVRT, with the hardware video encoder/Quick Sync, or using only the CPU (no Produce options checked, and Hardware decode unchecked from the Prefernces | Hardware Acceleration settings?

Since it seems related to your specific GoPro clips, can you share a few of them via OneDrive? You can also take one of your projects and trim a few clips so they're only 1 or 2 sec long. My guess is that if they're shorter than the time the artifact lasts, the "lightness" will remain for teh entire time until 2 seconds past a transition on a longer clip.
Being a newbie isn't anything to be ashamed of, and there are many discussions already here on the forum with questions & answers to this.

To best answer your question, it would help to know if you're actually talking about PowerDirector or Color Director, as you mention PD but posted in the CD forum. It will also make a difference to know which version of either app you're using, as the locations of various tools and presets have changed in the latest versions.

One the to start with is that you didn't mention installing (running) the downloaded files, but if you saw a message that they're ready to use then it sounds like you did that already.
I'm not sure what to tell you. I definitely see the issue you're having, yet snap to clip works as expected on my end even when zoomed out a fair ways.

In my video I see what you see when I've disabled snap to clip, yet when I enable it I get the clear "snag" as I pass over the clip edge and the vertical blue line shows up:

Thre are several posts about this already on the forum.

Oftentimes users aren't zoomed in enough for PD to accurately place the moved clip. Use the "+" key on the numeric keypad or click on the white circle with a "+" in it at the far lower left of the screen to see if that helps.
I imagine there are many factors involved, and the possible solution(s) will depend on which ones are actually happening. While you've provided some details on when you see the issue, it would help immensely if you could tell us more:

Are you seeing the issue when previewing on PD's timeline, in the finished (produced) video, or both?

If it's present in the produced video, are you seeing it on a Windows player (Windows Media Player, VLC, Movies & TV) or online (YouTube, IG, FB) or both?

Does it matter how long the first clip is before the cut or transition? In other words, does the issue happen with a 1 second clip or does it need to be 10 seconds or longer to occur?

Do you have any CLUTS or presets applied to any involved clips? Any editing changes to brightness/contrast/saturation, etc.?

Are any of the clips overlaid (like picture-in-picture)? Are any titles used immediately before, during, or immediately after the cut or transition?

It would also help to see a screen recording showing us exactly what you see. You can post it online and share a link or upload it to a cloud folder on Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a shareable link to it here.
I haven't spent much time with the new CDR, but I don't see any delay at all after placing a clip on the storyboard and clicking Play.

In all fairness I have a new and very powerful 16 core CPU so my experience may not be typical, and so I wonder if the duration or encoding of your particular clips might play a role. Trying out different source clips might allow you to determine if there are any particular clips that CDR has more difficulty processing.

I haven't used the scope/waveform tool before, but it seems to accurately reflect the dynamic changes as made by each control. I'm glad the window is detachable so I can set it big enough to see all the details:

As for CD9 being "integrated" into PDR (obviously CD9 is fully integrated with itself ), this is the same approach used with ADR and I'd suggest that the ability to call up CDR, make the change and return to PDR without having to produce the clip first is actually a timesaver.

On the other hand, if you're going to be working with many clips at once, I agree that building the timeline in CDR and producing there is probably quicker, especially if you're dealing with entire clips rather than small sections like you'd likely be working with in PDR.
That might be nice, especially with vertical clips; although the full screen preview is a single click away:

I agree and I've added Ctrl+Alt+S for the Freeze Frame command.

When typed, PD will take a screenshot at the playhead location, split the existing clip on the selected track and insert the new image with the default duration while pushing the downstream tracks to the right automatically.

That one hotkey saves 4-5 manual steps, depending on whether you have the "don't prompt" to confirm the screenshot's file name option checked or not.

If you make any custom hotkeys, be sure to save the .pdh file so you can import it into newer versions of PD when they're released. I just noticed that PD19 didn't automatically load my "May 2019" hot key set so I had to import it to get my custom keys working again.
I don't think so, but the best way to let CL know that you'd like to see that option is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under the File menu.

As the subscription version seems to have several update cycles per year now, it seems like there's a decent chance of seeing these kinds of requests fairly quickly if CL decides to implement them.
OK. I just checked in the new ColorDirector and it doesn't have any controls on adjusting the strength of the LUT either. I honestly don't know if that's even possible. I think you have to create it the way you want and then apply the whole thing.

Something else to try if you've got several clips to edit is to get everything with your first clip tweaked just right, then right click on it and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. Then select all the other clips and use Paste Keyframe Attributes.

That will copy everything but the CLUT so you'll have to apply that to each one individually - but all the other adjustments can be applied in one fell swoop.
I haven't spent much time with the new LUTs but I do see what you're saying. A few thoughts:

Use Undo/Redo (Ctrl+Z/Ctrl+Y) after applying a CLUT while previewing the clip to instantly see the difference. This also works if you've tried various CLUTs as only one can be applied at a time, so Undo/Redo will cycle through them all.

For a more muted impact, you can place 2 copies of the clip on the timeline and apply the desireed CLUT to one. Select the second copy as well and use the Color Match tool to copy the color of the "overcolored" clip to the second copy, then use the Level, Hue, Saturation and Brightness controls as needed to get just the right look.

Finally, I guess I'm not quite clear on what you're referring to as a time-shifted clip, but the quick answer for any effects that are hard/impossible to apply when other edits have been made is to produce the clip first so the edits are "baked in." You then have a plain, new clip with all the hard-to-process changes already made, so you're free to do anything else with it on the timeline.
Thanks for the screenshot and the additional description. The Express Project feature was actually introduced way back in PD14 although the new Project Room location icon was just added in PD19

As mentioned in the linked article above, Express Projects are a way of importing an entire project as a single, top-level "clip" that can easily be used in other projects. The imported project is visibly identified by the ͏ pds ͏ logo at the leading edge, and you can double-click on it if you want to expand the project and see (or make changes to) the specific clips within.

Please note that any changes you make to this copy will not affect the original project, so if you do want to make permanent changes you should open the original project directly to edit it.
That actually sounds like you have continuous thumbnails turned off and are looking at a zoomed in version of just one clip rather than seeing the entire timeline. Click on the white "-" circle at the far bottom left or use the number keypad "-" to zoom out.

If you still don't see the individual clips, please take a screenshot, save it as a PNG or JPG and use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to share it here.

Also, you're right that once you create or save a project in PD19, you cannot open it in PD18. However, PD19 should be able to open older projects with few or no changes needed.
Quote Is there any way to go back to the previous version if I have the 365 subscription. I do not see a download available for PD 18.

Not unless you made a system image of your C: drive before updating. If you did you can go back and choose not to update, otherwise you'll need to ask customer service to provide you with a PD18 installer.

Also please know that any projects you've created or saved in PD19 cannot be opened if you reinstall PD18.

The biggest issue I've seen so far is with trying to produce videos with scrolling titles, like in this discussion and the one outlined here. Since it may be days or weeks before an update is released, the cleanest option would be to not use scrolling titles if at all possible.

If they are needed, it may be easier on everyone's sanity to disable the title tracks and produce the rest of the project first to confirm that you've got everything else looking the way you want, then add the titles to the produced clip and let PD produce it when you go out to dinner or sleep, like in the old days when running overnight was more or less expected.

This is certainly not an acceptable situation, but overall I think it's on the lower end of problems as far as 2020 is concerned.
I converted the clip in Handbrake to progressive, contant bitrate from the original interlaced, variable bitrate and PD365 is able to work with it. Here's a copy if anyone needs it.

I've also reported the issue to CL on ticket CS002227243
Quote PS - I have the bad file, but it is too large to append to this message. Is there another way to get it to you?

The max attachment size is only 5MB so you'd have to upload to a shared cloud folder like OneDive or Google Drive and post the link here.

However your screenshot allowed me to easily track down that clip (thanks for doing that!) I get the same error as soon as the clip finished downloading, even though my system has no trouble with QT clips:

I checked the clip with MediaInfo and it isn't encoded with QT at all. In fact I don't see anything in the details that should be a problem for PD other than maybe a variable bitrate, and yet it won't import. I've attached the details in a .txt file.

I was able to open the clip in PD14, but there was no content at all when I played it back (not even empty black), so there is clearly something specific about this clip.

Every now and then something like this pops up, and usually CL will issue a patch once they're notified of the issue. In the meantime, converting the clip seems to be the best way to deal with this until PD19/365 can be updated, so I'm very glad you got that part taken care of 👍
There should be other, usually older versions of the .PhD file in nearby folders. You can use the search box in File Explorer if needed.

Once you locate a file, double-click on it as before, but this time, go to File | New Project to start over from scratch. You will have to import your clips again but there may be corruption in the existing databases and this is the surest way to move forward.
So vintage! Thanks for sharing these 👍
No. MP4 files can be encoded in Quicktime, which is what CL's own ScreenRecorder app does.

I can't download the clip to check based on its file nam and I'd need to know what it looks like to search for it using the PD browser. If you open the original clip in the VLC player (Videolan.org) you can use Ctrl+I to see the codec info. You can also download the free MediaInfo app, which is where I got the details shown in the linked post.
Most Shutterstock videos are .MOV and use Apple's Quicktime codec, which Apple no longer supports on Windows machines.

Your best bet is to use a free converter like Handbrake, VLC or VirtualDub2 to convert the clips into a non-Quicktime format MP4, or to install the free QT Lite codec as descibed in this post so that PD can work with them directly.
Go to: