CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Knowing your PD version helps. There have been 5 updates that you haven't applied, so please select PowerDirector 15 from this page and download and install the latest patch (3929), which includes all of the previous updates.

Please let us know if that solves the issue.
You didn't mention which PD version you have, or what version of SR you're running. If you have the original installer for PD, you may want to run that again to freshen the installation. I don't think you'd need to uninstall PD first.

I have the original SR installed from PD14. It's dated 1/20/2016 and is at version #1.0.0.1320. I also have the newer SR2 that comes with PD365. It's dated 11/27/2019 and is version #2.1.0.7615
What's your project aspect ratio set to? If it's 1:1 for example, no 16:9 or 4:3 content will appear in the PiP Objects room.
Quote However, your screen cap shows the incorrect icon for a transition, the icon shown is for a DVD Menu, at least when downloaded and installed on my system...

So I wonder how that icon change has come about and how has that affected your file associations and is this the root of the issue?

I'm sure that's the issue. I didn't look closely at the icons, but thanks to your "icon reference chart" it's clear that the file association for transitions is incorrect on OP's system. Reinstalling PD16 should fix that, as would manually changing Win7's file association for .dztr files to Effect Extractor
Since you're able to extract other kinds of DZ objects, it appears that Effect Extractor is doing its job when you try to install them. Your video also shows that the Effect Extractor icon is used for the .dztr file you've downloaded, however, it doesn't appear when you right-click on the icon and hover the cursor over the Open With option:

On my Win10 system with 3 versions of PD installed, none of them appear in the Open With option; only Effect Extractor. I also don't have anything called "Direct Zone Menu"

If you have the original PD16 installer, I would uninstall and reinstall PD16 and see if that clears up the issue. If you don't have the installer file, you'll need to contact CL customer service and have them send you a new copy.

There are other threads on the forum describing issues with Effect Extractor, and reviewing them may possibly help you if reinstalling doesn't resolve the issue.
You haven't given us much info to work with. I assume you're describing PD's timeline preview behavior, and there are many posts on the forum regarding ways to improve that. Search for "lag" and you'll see what I mean.

You can produce the clip, or select that section and use Render Preview and see if the issue is still present.

If you need more assistance, please provide some details about the clips you're working with, like resolution, frame rate and encoding format, and maybe even a screen recording showing us what's on your timeline and how PD is responding.
Thanks for the DxDiag, and I'm sorry that neither of the system utilities had any impact. I'm concerned that the last section of the report shows PDR crashes along with many crashes of Dell.D3.WinSvc.exe along with two LiveKernelEvents.

This page is basically an ad for an uninstaller app, but it lists some details on the Dell app. You can try uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the Dell/Alienware webpage, although the official updates seem to be limited to Win7, 8 & 8.1.

The LiveKernelEvents might be caused by a problem with the video driver. One thing you can do is to uninstall the 441.87 nVidia driver completely, and then reboot. Run the installer again, and do a custom installation without the GEForce Experience, and uncheck everything except for the video driver itself. You'd probably want to reboot even if you're not prompted to. See if that allows PD to fully start.

If you're a gamer and need other options, run the nVidia installer again and try adding one component at a time while confirming that PD still works.
What you're describing sounds a lot like PD is trying to open a problematic project. Although reinstalling seems like it would reset the option to always load the previous project (assuming it was checked before the problem happened), it's possible that the personalized settings were kept in place and it's still getting stuck.

An easy way to test this is to download the attached empty project and save it anywhere you can easily find it. Double-click on it to have PD launch and open it, and see if there's any change in behavior.

If it still gets stuck, please attach the DxDiag file that you sent to support. Maybe there's a clue or two in there.

It's also possible that a recent Windows update didn't go perfectly. The quick and easy way to check your system's health is to run sfc /scannow from an Admin-level command prompt (Google for more details if needed). That will check Windows' crucial system files and will repair many kinds of errors if they're present. You should run it again if it reports that it found errors, but couldn't repair them the first time through.

You also might want to try running dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth in the same window. This goes beyond the checks & repairs that sfc can perform.

Please post back with your findings.
That's an interesting situation. All of the Set Aspect Ratio options look like they involve stretching, so none of those will do what you're looking for. It also doesn't matter if the project AR is set before clips are added to the timeline or if that's done afterward.

The apparently hard-coded default is for PD to preserve the full content of the clip, so it will always give you black bars at the top and bottom when using 16:9 clips in any other AR.

While I can see why that makes sense, you might want to use the Rate Us & Provide Suggestions option under the File menu to bring the option to switch the default "fill" dimension to the developers' attention.

In the meantime, I'm not sure if you're aware that your very effective Copy Keyframe Attributes technique can be applied (pasted) to all timeline clips in one shot by using Ctrl + A first. That's as minimal as it can get short of a default option.

Also please know that the keyframe attributes are stored in a separate buffer than the main clipboard, so you can do regular editing and copying/pasting of text or other timeline content and still paste the existing keyframe attributes if you have to bring in a new clip.
Thanks very much for the sample image. I have the latest version of PhD 11, and I actually see the full image for a couple of seconds after importing it, but then it becomes the same useless pinkish mess of pixels that you've described.

The top half of the following composite image was taken moments after importing the RW2 clip, and the bottom half is what's dsiplayed after the import "processing" is completed, and how it remains afterwards.

I think it would help to have more info. Are you using the App Manager to download the packs (if you have the subscription version), or are you downloading the pack separately? Packs often have a minimum version requirement, as editro versions before the date they were released will not have the necessary functionality, but I don't know of any situations where a newer version of PD is incompatible.

You've said that you've "downloaded" the pack, and I'd like to confirm that you've actually installed it as well. Usually the content will show up in PD right away, but there have been some cases where you have to close PD and reopen it to see the new items. Rebooting shouldn't be needed, though.

It's also possible that you have the project aspect ratio set on a value that the downloaded content doesn't support, such as 1:1. Try changing it to 16:9 and see if the content then appears.
I can't answer the part about saving outside the app, but I can say that unless Cyberlink has stated somewhere that the iOS app's project files are 100% compatible with PD, there's likely no way to use them other than within the mobile app.

As far as I'm aware, projects made by the mobile apps are completely incompatible with PowerDirector.
Quote Yes we all know it is a user forum and we all know how to send in a question to the tech team - however, when you want answers to a problem that suddenly appears looking on the forum page is the 1st option - to see if others are also having same issues. Clearly there was a problem and, after checking a few moments ago, it has been resolved. So firstly have a bit of respect and secondly Cyberlink themselves suggest that we look on the user forum 1st to see if there is an answer to any question or problem.

I'm sorry you took issue with my post. While you clearly understand, many people do think that the forum is related to tech support. Also, not all users know how to contact them directly, which is why I made those two statements.

There was no disrespect intended, nor was there any thought of dismissing the forum's usefulness. I'm glad to hear that the server issue has been resolved for you as well.
Quote The PhD Version is 11.1.2418.0 (64bit); Version Type - 365; SR Number190918-02

That's the version I have, but I'm not seeing any obvious issues saving to PHI. Could you possible make a screen recording showing the exact editing steps you're making and when you're saving the PHI file?

Getting a clear look at everything you're doing can help other people replicate the p[roblem or possibly suggest changes to the workflow that might avoid (or reduce the occurance of) the issues altogether.

You can upload the video to YouTube (or Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.) and paste the link to it here.
Two things: First, this is a user forum, and it's not a direct way for getting technical support from Cyberlink. To do that, please submit a request for support here.

Second, there may be an issue with the server that's required to access this content. I typically don't have issues downloading content, but I'm currently seeing the same error message. It seems like it's due to a problem reaching this server: mx2.twmail.cyberlink.com

As I was typing this, the error went away on my system and all of the expected content appeared. Maybe things will work for other people now as well...

If this was actually a server problem, it would be more helpful if the message went from saying "you're not connected to the internet" to something more like "PD can't connect to the server. Try again later"
Quote I have just downloaded the action pack however i cant see this in powerdirector? how do i locate what has been downloaded??

Different packs contain different items, like titles, PiP objects and particles. The Action Pack contains all 3, and you will find the pack's content in each "room" as shown below for PiP Objects:

I haven't ever used that feature, but it appears that the only options in PhD11 are to use colored labels. I found two ways to do that, from the Photo menu (below) and by right-clicking on the clip from the image tray:

If you'd like to see the ability to use a file name as a label, I think you should use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions from the Help menu.
There's info on the latest Studio driver download page that explains the difference:

NVIDIA Studio Drivers provide artists, creators and 3D developers the best performance and reliability when working with creative applications. To achieve the highest level of reliability, Studio Drivers undergo extensive testing against multi-app creator workflows and multiple revisions of the top creative applications from Adobe to Autodesk and beyond.

There's no mention of PD in the apps, but Studio drivers have been suggested by PDM here. Only newer nVidia cards are supported, though.
Quote Same thing here. I can reproduce by taking a small clip, splitting it, and then adding a transition. I sent my DxDiag file to customer support.

That's really puzzling. PD has certainly had bugs like that in the past, where performing a basic task caused a crash or completely unexpected results, but those typically occured for all users (or at least for all users with the same type of hardware or GPU).

I haven't had any issues like what you're describing, and a simple edit with transition works as expected:

If you'd like to help determine if this particular issue is occurring solely within PD, or is instead due to a combination of PD and your particular system, you can tryb a couple of things.

First, make a simple project with just the one clip, place it on the timeline, and save the project. Now try splitting the clip, then save the project and close PD. Reopen PD and the project and see if placing the transition still causes the crash.

Another thing you can do is to use File > Pack Project Materials and upload the packed project to a folder on Google Drive or OneDrive and paste the link to it here so other people can see if anything odd happens when they try to split the clip and place a transition.

This is completely optional, but it may provide more clues as to what's going on.
I recently made a clean and simple timer icon for a client. The project called for several countdown lengths ranging from 15 minutes to over an hour, and I didn't want to have to create a custom one each time. This solution will actually work for periods as short as 1 second, and for as long as you want to have someone watch a video for

Here's what the finished project looks like when set up for a 1 minute countdown:

While my original project was made with PD365, this sample packed project was made in PD13, so anyone with that version or newer will be able to download and play around with it. Note that the digital timer on the right requires the NewBlueFX Video Essentials IV pack, but the project and timer will still open and work without it (you'll probably want to update the Timer Start and Timer End snapshots on track 2 to remove the digital timer images, though).

To understand how it works, take a look at these panels. There's a transparent semicircle that starts out with the solid yellow section on the right side of the circle, and it then smoothly rotates through 360 degrees over the duration of the clip. For the first half, there's also a static image of the same semicircle fixed on the left side:

To complete the effect, the static left semicircle is swapped at the exact midpoint with a flipped version that's been changed to the background color to mask the unwanted right edge of the rotating image:

That's all there is to it!

However, apparently "simple" projects like this often have little editing details that have to be just right to pull off the intended effect, and if you want to change the timer's duration, you'll need to perform all of the following steps.

To increase the timer duration:

1. Change the duration of the 360 degree rotation clip to the new length.

2. Go to Keyframes and delete the original ending Rotation keyframe that's now in the middle. A new ending keyframe will already be set to 360, so you have to delete the middle one to reset the full rotation to be the same as the clip duration

3. Change the duration of the Static 1st half semicircle clip to be exactly half of the new timer length.

4. Change the duration of the Static 2nd half semicircle (background color) clip to be exactly half of the new timer length. There are two Position keyframes here to slightly change the position over the clip's duration so the starting and ending points look perfect, and you'll want to create a new Position keyframe at the end of the clip and set the X value to 0.337 (Y remains unchanged and should be 0.482)

5. Set the duration and starting values for the NewBlue Time Clock FX to match. Take a new beginning snapshot to match the new timer duration and replace the Timer Start clip on track 2.

6. Change the duration of the background clip on track 1 to match, and move the End Timer and ending Bell clips to the new ending location

To decrease the timer duration:

1. Change the duration of the 360 degree rotation clip to the new length.

2. Go to Keyframes and create a new ending Rotation keyframe set to 360 to cause the full rotation to be the same as the clip duration

3. Change the duration of the Static 1st half semicircle clip to be exactly half of the new timer length.

4. Change the duration of the Static 2nd half semicircle (background color) clip to be exactly half of the new timer length. There are two Position keyframes here to slightly change the position over the clip's duration so the starting and ending points look perfect, so you have to delete the original end keyframe that's now in the middle

5. Set the duration and starting values for the NewBlue Time Clock FX to match. Take a new beginning snapshot to match the new timer duration and replace the Timer Start clip on track 2.

6. Change the duration of the background clip on track 1 to match, and move the End Timer and ending Bell clips to the new ending location

The clips are transparent PNGs I created using Paint.net, so the timer will appear over any background, including video. You'll have to do some extra work though if you want the "empty" section of the timer to show video rather than simply be a duller color like the background here.

So go ahead and download the project and play around with it to see how it works. I just added the two full size images as attachments to show the details that might be too hard to read on the embedded images above, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Enjoy! laughing
Go to: