CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote I have just downloaded the action pack however i cant see this in powerdirector? how do i locate what has been downloaded??

Different packs contain different items, like titles, PiP objects and particles. The Action Pack contains all 3, and you will find the pack's content in each "room" as shown below for PiP Objects:

I haven't ever used that feature, but it appears that the only options in PhD11 are to use colored labels. I found two ways to do that, from the Photo menu (below) and by right-clicking on the clip from the image tray:

If you'd like to see the ability to use a file name as a label, I think you should use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions from the Help menu.
There's info on the latest Studio driver download page that explains the difference:

NVIDIA Studio Drivers provide artists, creators and 3D developers the best performance and reliability when working with creative applications. To achieve the highest level of reliability, Studio Drivers undergo extensive testing against multi-app creator workflows and multiple revisions of the top creative applications from Adobe to Autodesk and beyond.

There's no mention of PD in the apps, but Studio drivers have been suggested by PDM here. Only newer nVidia cards are supported, though.
Quote Same thing here. I can reproduce by taking a small clip, splitting it, and then adding a transition. I sent my DxDiag file to customer support.

That's really puzzling. PD has certainly had bugs like that in the past, where performing a basic task caused a crash or completely unexpected results, but those typically occured for all users (or at least for all users with the same type of hardware or GPU).

I haven't had any issues like what you're describing, and a simple edit with transition works as expected:

If you'd like to help determine if this particular issue is occurring solely within PD, or is instead due to a combination of PD and your particular system, you can tryb a couple of things.

First, make a simple project with just the one clip, place it on the timeline, and save the project. Now try splitting the clip, then save the project and close PD. Reopen PD and the project and see if placing the transition still causes the crash.

Another thing you can do is to use File > Pack Project Materials and upload the packed project to a folder on Google Drive or OneDrive and paste the link to it here so other people can see if anything odd happens when they try to split the clip and place a transition.

This is completely optional, but it may provide more clues as to what's going on.
I recently made a clean and simple timer icon for a client. The project called for several countdown lengths ranging from 15 minutes to over an hour, and I didn't want to have to create a custom one each time. This solution will actually work for periods as short as 1 second, and for as long as you want to have someone watch a video for

Here's what the finished project looks like when set up for a 1 minute countdown:

While my original project was made with PD365, this sample packed project was made in PD13, so anyone with that version or newer will be able to download and play around with it. Note that the digital timer on the right requires the NewBlueFX Video Essentials IV pack, but the project and timer will still open and work without it (you'll probably want to update the Timer Start and Timer End snapshots on track 2 to remove the digital timer images, though).

To understand how it works, take a look at these panels. There's a transparent semicircle that starts out with the solid yellow section on the right side of the circle, and it then smoothly rotates through 360 degrees over the duration of the clip. For the first half, there's also a static image of the same semicircle fixed on the left side:

To complete the effect, the static left semicircle is swapped at the exact midpoint with a flipped version that's been changed to the background color to mask the unwanted right edge of the rotating image:

That's all there is to it!

However, apparently "simple" projects like this often have little editing details that have to be just right to pull off the intended effect, and if you want to change the timer's duration, you'll need to perform all of the following steps.

To increase the timer duration:

1. Change the duration of the 360 degree rotation clip to the new length.

2. Go to Keyframes and delete the original ending Rotation keyframe that's now in the middle. A new ending keyframe will already be set to 360, so you have to delete the middle one to reset the full rotation to be the same as the clip duration

3. Change the duration of the Static 1st half semicircle clip to be exactly half of the new timer length.

4. Change the duration of the Static 2nd half semicircle (background color) clip to be exactly half of the new timer length. There are two Position keyframes here to slightly change the position over the clip's duration so the starting and ending points look perfect, and you'll want to create a new Position keyframe at the end of the clip and set the X value to 0.337 (Y remains unchanged and should be 0.482)

5. Set the duration and starting values for the NewBlue Time Clock FX to match. Take a new beginning snapshot to match the new timer duration and replace the Timer Start clip on track 2.

6. Change the duration of the background clip on track 1 to match, and move the End Timer and ending Bell clips to the new ending location

To decrease the timer duration:

1. Change the duration of the 360 degree rotation clip to the new length.

2. Go to Keyframes and create a new ending Rotation keyframe set to 360 to cause the full rotation to be the same as the clip duration

3. Change the duration of the Static 1st half semicircle clip to be exactly half of the new timer length.

4. Change the duration of the Static 2nd half semicircle (background color) clip to be exactly half of the new timer length. There are two Position keyframes here to slightly change the position over the clip's duration so the starting and ending points look perfect, so you have to delete the original end keyframe that's now in the middle

5. Set the duration and starting values for the NewBlue Time Clock FX to match. Take a new beginning snapshot to match the new timer duration and replace the Timer Start clip on track 2.

6. Change the duration of the background clip on track 1 to match, and move the End Timer and ending Bell clips to the new ending location

The clips are transparent PNGs I created using Paint.net, so the timer will appear over any background, including video. You'll have to do some extra work though if you want the "empty" section of the timer to show video rather than simply be a duller color like the background here.

So go ahead and download the project and play around with it to see how it works. I just added the two full size images as attachments to show the details that might be too hard to read on the embedded images above, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Enjoy! laughing
I imagine it's related to this issue. Hopefully the next update will resolve it.
Briefly, the way you're trying to get work done will certainly lead to degredation. Unless you're using SVRT, every time you produce you're going to lose some quality. If you've run various clips through several times, your finished product isn't going to look or sound very good.

Saving the project often is good practice, and it's perfectly fine to produce different sections of your project at different times. However, your goal should be to limit the number of producing passes you subject any clips to, to two.

So for you, once all of your produced sections are ready, you can string them all together on the timeline and finish the project with a very fast SVRT pass, which will essentially join all the clips together without producing every frame again.

At this point, you'll need to go back and pull together each clip from the first time it was produced and substitue that for the version that's in your final project. I don't know how many clips there are in your project, or what kinds of edits you've made to them since they were produced, but that's the best idea I have for keeping as much of your original quality as possible.
Quote Interesting that the Oddyessy, the Iliad, the Bible, etc. weren't licensed under IP.

That's because they're ancient and were in the public domain long before IP became a concept.

Try using any audio or video of MLK's "I have a Dream" speech and see how long it takes YouTube to flag it for copyright infringement. The King family owns all of the rights to it and will only allow use if you pay for a license. You can also buy an official DVD to watch, but obviously aren't allowed to use its content anywhere else.
You can't directly include any media on the forum. You need to use the Attachments button (below the forum's text box) for clips under 5MB in size:

For larger clips, you'll need to upload them to a cloud folder on OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. and paste the link here so that others can download and view it.

You can also upload the clip to YouTube (as you've already done), and next time, please paste the URL to the clip (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDcN96KflQg) so that others can more easily find and watch it. You can even use this forum tool to place the live video in the text:

Like this:

As to your audio question, I assume that the audio on your original clip is fine, but something has gone wrong with the produced version. Does the audio sound normal when you preview the clip on PD's timeline? If not, you may want to use the mixing room, or click on the green audio level line on the audio section of the clip and drag it downward to lower the volume and reduce the clipping.

If the timeline preview audio is fine, please post a screenshot of the Produce screen showing the settings you used to produce the clip.
I don't think there's any reason that PD would crash repeatedly just because it's running on sub-optimal hardware. There have occasionally been specific edits that caused crashes in the past, but they're generally repeatable and not something I'd expect to see when generally working with clips.

In your case, PD should simply run slowly. It might tax your patience while editing, and it will likely take quite a long time to produce your projects, but multiple crashes usually point to more significant issues with your video drivers, or occasionally with core Windows files.

You pasted some preliminary details about your system, but to really understand how it's configured, we'd need you to attach the full DxDiag results as described in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread.

You may also want to look at this post with 2 very simple steps to check and repair Windows crucial system files. Post back if you have the results, and please also include the full version number of PD365 so we know if you're running the most recent update.
FYI The current subscription version of PD(365) is 18.1.2405.0 and CD is 8.0.2409.0. Those versions were released near the end of last month. There's also a new version of the App Manager dated Jan 9 2020, which is v1.6.2510.0.
There are actually several different viewing angles on that cam (or at least there are on the Action+ version). They range from moderate to wide to ultra wide, and they're available under the settings (gear) icon. Not all resolutions/frame rates offer different fields of view, however.

Here's a set of images I made last year from a static position to test out how the different field of view settings look:

As you can see there are differing amounts of fisheye distortion, depending on how wide your field of view setting is.

If you'd like to correct for this in PD, I suggest trying out the various available presets until you find one that's close, then try tweaking the settings a step or two in each direction to see which gives you the best look.
I'm happy to try out the H.265 clips if you want to pack the project and upload it.

You can easily set a lower bitrate by creating a custom profile from PD's Produce page, then closing PD and manually editing the Profile.ini file to put in a lower bitrate for the new profile than PD's profile tool will allow.

See this thread for details, and set the <Video BitRate> (the average), <Min BitRate> and <Max BitRate> values as desired. Be sure to specify the full number in bits per second without any commas, so 5000kbps = 5000000 bps.
Thanks for the new details and for attaching the DxDiag results. Nothing in there stands out as a significant driver issue. However, the end of the file shows the last 10 significant crashes, and besides CD4, there are two from Explorer.exe.

You may want to try the two numbered steps in this post to see if there are any issues with your Windows installation that can be easily found and repaired. You might be surprised at how many times OS deep issues are the root causes of crashes with Cyberlink editing tools.
Thanks for the PM with your packed project. I've downloaded it and done some testing, and I have bad news, good news, then more bad news and a little more good news for you.

While I can produce your project using SVRT in a ridiculously short amount of time (and without it freezing), the output is total garbage. That's the main bad news, because it means that you can't use SVRT at all with clips like this until Cyberlink fixes the issue.

The main good news is that on a modern, (very) powerful machine built specifically for editing, I can produce your video in a little over 14 minutes!

For it to take 27.5 hours (115x longer!) tells you a whole lot about the capabilities of your tired old i3 system. That's the other bad news, because it really looks like you're going to need a new system for editing if SVRT isn't an option.

The other good thing is that literally any used system from the past couple of years that you can get your hands on will run circles around your current machine, and I can't emphasize how much of an improvement you'd see with even a minor investment in new hardware. You'd also be able to deal with H.265 clips a whole lot easier than where you're at right now.

Also, the producing time is actually the same whether I used my i9's built-in UHD Graphics 630 or when I used the $500 nVidia RTX 2070. Usually there's a pretty noticeable speed improvement in using nVidia over Intel's built in encoder, but in this case, there's no need to spend any extra money at all on a heavy duty GPU (unless you'd also use it for gaming).

Here are the production stats for the 3 different runs:

The two successful files sizes are different because the QuickSync version had a bitrate of 15.0Mbps, while the nVidia version was only 13.6Mbps. I don't see any difference in the video quality, so maybe the nVidia hardware did the job more efficiently as far as compression goes.

I hope this gives you a better sense of what's going on, and maybe an option or two for going forward.
Sure. Just right-click on the clip in the timeline and select Edit Audio. You'll then see one of those options (it was WaveEditor in earlier PD versions, and I believe the change to Audio Editor occurred in in PD17).

There should be tutorials on the forum and on YouTube and in the Cyberlink Learning Center if you need more assistance on how to use it.
Quote So, to embed tags to photos means exporting, therefore duplicating each and every photo. How do you suggest manageing those photos?

It's best to think of PhD as an app for creating new content from existing images - including editing/revising and saving new copies of them - rather than as an image management tool.

I think the many utilities (and the Windows metadata editing method) that PIX has mentioned are better suited for that task.
There are plenty of ways of doing that, but in my experience, the best way may depend a great deal on what your two different streams/images look like. If you wanted to post a couple of screenshots of your streams here, and/or actual short sample clips, maybe people here on the forum can provide specific suggestions.

One thing you may want to experiment with is PD's timeline Blending Mode. Right click on one of the clips and try changing this:

You may also have to setup a mask or two to make it work. You may also need to flip the vertical order of the clips to get the best effect.

You can also try the NewBlue Luma Key FX to try and remove content based on how bright it is. That may work better than chroma keying if there's a large lighting difference. Any (or all) of these in step with one or two chroma keys may also be needed.

Although you'll definitely have to put in some work upfront to find the right combination, once you've got that all set, you should be able to apply those settings to future videos and not have to work on removing the background again.
If I were in your situation I'd do one of two things, depending on whether or not the clips you need to lower the volume on are overlaid on other audio.

1) If the audio for each clip is clean (and doesn't play along with any other audio), simply produce the whole project as-is, then clear out the timeline and then reduce the audio in the produced clip wherever needed. You may want to place timeline markers at the start of each section, and then use Ctrl + A to highlight all existing project timeline content and then delete it. When you place the produced clip on the clean timeline, the markers will show you exactly where to lower the sound, and you can use keyframes to create the reduced volume there.

2) If you have other audio running in the video and your problematic clips are "on top" of that, I would use Range Produce (maybe after copying each clip to an unused timeline section first) and then substitute each problematic clip with the produced version. That may allow you to change the volume.

Both of these steps assume that the volume issue is related to the specific source clips you're working with. If instead the problem is with PD somehow being unable to adjust the volume at all, try using the built-in WaveEditor/Audio Editor first. If that also doesn't work, look at using a 3rd party tool like Audacity, Handbrake or Virtual Dub2, depending on your preference.
You didn't post (or actually, attach) the entire DxDiag results, but the Acer website also shows updated nVidia drivers for your system.

You can also try unchecking this box in CD4:

Otherwise, since you've already uninstalled/resinstalled, there may not be a whole lot of other options.

You know that CD8 works, so you at least have a path forward. It's also possible that if you attached your entire DxDiag results, there might be something in there that stands out to someone here on the forum.
Try File > New Project.
Go to: