CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Most Shutterstock videos are .MOV and use Apple's Quicktime codec, which Apple no longer supports on Windows machines.

Your best bet is to use a free converter like Handbrake, VLC or VirtualDub2 to convert the clips into a non-Quicktime format MP4, or to install the free QT Lite codec as descibed in this post so that PD can work with them directly.
There are only 4 versions of ScreenRecorder, the unnumbered original then 2, 3 & 4. If you have PD16, that should have come with SR2.

In any event, try unchecking the Enable hardware encoding box under Preferences (gear icon) Video:

In addition to what PIX posted, sometimes PhD has an issue when trying to convert the previous version's database file after an upgrade.

Once you've reinstalled it, instead of launching the app directly, use File Explorer and navigate to the \Pictures\PhotoDirector\11.0 folder where you should see a file with your Windows user name and maybe some other numbers that will end in .phd, like UserName_11.04_1.phd.

Double click on that and see if that will let PhD12 launch.
OK I got something up and running!

You should now be able to download the contents of that folder and double click on the PDR18 Boundary Overlay project and see what I did. Don't bother watching the FCP video, I only used a small section to overlay boundaries on in blue using PD18.

For your projects, you'd want to take a screenshot of the view you want to mark, then use a free app like GIMP or Paint.net to create lines or the full shape with a transparent background. Use individual lines if your clip has a low flying drone like at the end, or a full shape if the view is mostly from farther away.

Then place the overlay on a lower track so it appears "on top of" your clip. What I did was to align the overlay at the start and place keyframes for Scale, Position, Rotation and Freeform and then go to the end and adjust the image as needed to line up. PD will automatically place ketframes for any setting that gets changed and will automatically interpolate the changes in between.

If the motion is smooth across the clip, that's all you should need to do, but if there are any speed or direction changes (and there are speed changes in both of these shots) you'll have to add more keyframes where the changes occur and/or at the midpoint so that the boundary lines will more closely track the parcel.

As I mentioned in the linked post, you may notice some jiggling when the blue lines are drawn over the white ones, but those kinds of imperfections are much less noticeable if your lines are the only ones on the screen.
Oh wow. The OneDrive folder in my post had the OP's original video and I made a new version showing how PD could overlay new boundaries on top of the original. When I created that post 2 years ago, I packed the PDS project and included it so other people could download it and work with it on their own PC. That's why I referred you to it.

However, something has gone wrong and the PDS file is no longer present in that folder. All the supporting graphics are still there, but without the project file there's no way to share how I did it.

I'm afraid that the best I can do is to try and re-create the project using PD18 so you can work with it, but I don't know how long it'll take me to do that.

I'll post back here as soon as it's ready. So much for cloud storage being a perfect solution to never losing an important file yell
As the topic of this discussion is Issues With The Latest Update and I've built on the testing method you outlined here, it seemed appropriate to add my new findings as well.

I've also now tried out this test on my Surface Book 3, and it took 5 min 10 sec to produce the first 2 seconds of the scrolling title project, so whatever's going on seems to be scaled by the system's processing power. In both of my tests, producing slowed down approximately 100x over a non-scrolling-titled project

I've reported the issue on CS002226952 and since that didn't look like it went through, CS002226953.
It would probably help to see an example of what you're trying to do, like on a website or YouTube video. It also depends on whether you logo has true transparency or if you're planning to make it "transparent" by fading out the opacity. You also mention using a mask but haven't stated where it is or what it's masking.

A screenshot of your timeline showing these kinds of details would also help us understand your situation well enough to give you some suggestions.
The NTSC setting is only needed if you want to select a default profile with a 60p framerate. No need to do that if the Profile Analyer was working properly.

You may also want to convert the iPhone's audio to another format that doesn't use a variable bitrate. MP3s have been known to cause problems, but WAV, AAC and Dolby Digital (assuming a Win10 system) should work with PD.
Thanks for the video. I see what you're trying to do by running ScreenRecorder and PD at the same time, but that's not a good way to handle your situation.

I don't know why you're using the very old, plain SR in the video. SR4 comes with the new PD and it has a built-in option to record a webcam and the screen at the same time. You don't need to use PD at all.
Quote Scrolling titles appear to be my problem as well. Rendering crawls from the point where they start. Didn't have the problem with PD18.

Unfortunately I think there's a serious issue when working with titles in PD19, especially scrolling ones.

I see the same issue as you when using your shared project from the other discussion, but that project has been saved in PD19 and can no longer be opened in PD18 for comparison so I took the PD18 project I created here and added a single scrolling title with the same font and shadow settings as in yours. The new project is in the same shared OneDrive folder.

In PD18, I can produce the Forum Test Project + title clip in 1:54 using the same configuration as the 4th column in my table above, which is about an 85% increase in production time to deal with the animation and shading of the scrolling text. When using the nVidia GPU for encoding and decoding (2nd column) it took 1:36, or about 48% longer then the simple video project.

With PD19, however, the project becomes unusable.

Normally, projects load within a few seconds on my desktop, but this project takes almost a minute to load and about another 30 sec or so to bring up the Produce screen. The only difference is a single title with dozens of lines of text copied from the Falling Down default title with the effect changed to Scroll Up.

Clicking on Start can take another half minute to see PD take action, and when producing finally starts it's at an absolute crawl: 4 min 10 sec to produce the first 3 seconds of the clip to the HD MP4 60p profile used above. That's 3.5 hours to produce a 2.5 min HD clip with scrolling text vs. under 2 min for the same thing in PD18.

During this time, the GPU load is zero because it's only encoding one frame every couple of seconds instead of the dozens or hundreds/sec it's capable of. The CPU is running along at 40% utilization but I have no idea what's its spending all that energy doing. Someone at CL will need to take a deep look at this.

I believe there's been a serious issue with titles since at least PD17 when I wrote the Death By Titles post, but the issue wasn't widespread and it wasn't ever resolved back then. Maybe this project will allow the issue to be explored more fully so the underlying cause(s) can finally be addressed.
A couple thoughts: Did you use the Profile Analyzer from the Produce page to determine which output profile to use? I'm asking specifically because of this issue which is still present in PD19. The recommended profile would be the default MPEG-4 1920 x 1080/60p (40 Mbps) profile with the format set to NTSC.

iPhones are known for using variable frame rates and that has been known to cause problems in PD. Try converting to a constant framerate in Handbrake, VLC or VirtualDub2 and see if that makes a difference.

You can also share one of you problematic clips on OneDrive or Google Drive so I and others can see if it's an issue with more systems that just yours.
Quote With PD, I've specified each GPU, ran the PD optimizer, yet the slower GPU is the only one that continues to be used. It doesn't appear that these setting have much, if any, impact.

PD doesn't use CUDA or 3D, so I'm afraid those settings won't make any difference.

Was sonic67 correct that the Graphics Settings option I suggested doesn't work with discrete GPU cards? I've never had more than one external card but I assumed you would still have that option available. If it's only tied to which GPU is driving that specific monitor, then I can see why it wouldn't work here.

However, that may be your answer. Are you driving a monitor from the higher-performance GPU? Launch PD and place it on that monitor then close it. See if it comes back up on that monitor after relaunching it, then see if PD will use the GPU it's actually running on.
Quote @optodata "AMD VCN2.0 GPU" I haven't found anything on google now - do you have a tip which AMD graphics card would be suitable here?

Sorry, I don't have a clue beyond what CL posted in their promotional materials and the English PDM FAQ
The tool works as expected for me, both audio and video are reversed. Can you try switching OpenCL on/off from the Preferences | Hardware Acceleration menu? You may want to close and reopen PD after changing the setting.
I'm not sure if you might have already tried this or not, but uninstalling PDR (you can keep personalized settings, if prompted), then installing again using the original installer and then applying the final patch may resolve this issue.

If you no longer have the original installer, you'll need to contact CL customer service as described in this FAQ.
It's not silly, but the 8K support they called out is specifically about using an AMD VCN2.0 GPU chip to import 8K files.

That doesn't mean PD can't work with 6/8K files without the chip, there just isn't any hardware support. There are many people who've been using PD (including older versions) to work with and produce videos above 4K, and this recent post is links to a 5.7K example.
Sorry that I didn't notice your response until just now, but the file you'd be "messing with" is a simple text file where you'd only need to change a few settings. You can even simply download the version I've created and save it on your system. There's really nothing to it!

PD is built with specific aspect ratios hardwired in, but the profiles it produces to are limited by the software when you're creating them, which is why you can specify higher pixel sizes outside of PD.

I believe PD's designers want to keep the easily available output profiles within the range of most people's PCs, as higher resolutions generally require more expensive hardware and potentially much longer producing times.
I just tried out this approach on my desktop, and with a 16-core CPU there is no meaningful difference between PD18 and PD19 as far as producing specs are concerned.

Here are my results (with 2 added lines to show actual PD18 + PD19 produce times):

I've also created a test project in PD18 if anyone else wants to try, and you can download it from this OneDrive folder (no need to sign in).

I ran these tests with the latest nVidia Studio Driver (456.38) and I closed/reopened PD after changing the Hardware decode option. Bitrates and file sizes were obtained using MediInfo v20.08.
You should easily be able to do that by choosing to record either Lock to App or Device:

You may need to change some settings (blue square) to make sure you've got SR4 using the correct inputs.
Like PDM and tomasc, I have no trouble importing and playing those m4a files in PDR14, and after reviewing the DxDiag results I'm wondering if you could do a couple things on your PC.

At the end of the report, the last 10 serious app crashes are listed (WER0, etc) and often when I see a wide variety of crashes there it turns out that some of Windows core files are damaged. Not every time, but enough that I'd recommend that you run the commands shown here and see if they can find and/or repair any issues.

The other thing I noticed is that you're running a fairly new nVidia driver for your GTX 960, and normally I'd say you should update it to the latest version. Unfortunately, nVidia removed the interface that older versions of PDR used to access the NVENC hardware 2 years ago, so PDR14 isn't able to use drivers newer than 411.70 if you want to use hardware encoding when producing.

If you want to restore that ability, download the driver here and do a clean install from the custom menu so that the current driver is fully removed before the older one is installed. You'll have to reboot afterwards but you'll have hardware encoding back.
Quote Out of interest, is it possible to manually edit a .pds file and not corrupt it? So if I convert one of the problem m4a files to mp3 and then just open the pds file in notepad++ and change the filepath to mp3, should that be possible?

It's possible to do that, but it's probably easier to simply rename the existing m4a clips (like by adding a space or character) and then open the PDS file in PDR14.

When it can't find the renamed files, it will prompt you to browse to each mp3 version and PD will automatically substitute it. Make sure you save the project (or save it as a different project) even though you won't be prompted to if you want to use the mp3 files next time.

Also an FYI that the PDS file only contains the list of source clip names/locations and all the edits you've made. It doesn't include any actual source clips, and while we don't need all of those video clips to help here, if you ever do need to share an entire project through DropBox you'll actually need to use Pack Project Materials under PDR's File menu to both include all the actual clips and to "flatten" the project so that it will look for them in the same folder that the project is in, rather than, say E:\Pictures\2016...
Go to: