Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crop/rotate
Sharpo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2020 06:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Just started using this new version after many years of having PowerDirector.

In the old version if I was going to rotate a video by 1 degree, I would be able to get the image to fit by moving in one of the corners, but with this new version if I move the bottom right corner inwards the opposite corner does not also move inwards and I also have to move in the top left corner.

I found a tutorial, but it is not the same as how the 2024 version works.

Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software/1185/how-to-stabilize-video-footage-and-use-the-crop-zoom-pan-tools
Sharpo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just started using this new version after many years of having PowerDirector.

In the old version if I was going to rotate a video by 1 degree, I would be able to get the image to fit by moving in one of the corners, but with this new version if I move the bottom right corner inwards the opposite corner does not also move inwards and I also have to move in the top left corner.

I found a tutorial, but it is not the same as how the 2024 version works.

Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software/1185/how-to-stabilize-video-footage-and-use-the-crop-zoom-pan-tools

After many hours this topic has not appeared in the forum, I bookmarked this page and that is how I find it again. Wonder if it will actually appear if I reply to it, here goes.

YES, I replied and the topic is now showing!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2023 18:06

Sharpo [Avatar]
[Post New]

After many hours this topic has not appeared in the forum, I bookmarked this page and that is how I find it again. Wonder if it will actually appear if I reply to it, here goes.

YES, I replied and the topic is now showing!!

This is totally wasting my time now, looks as if I have to mess around with keyframes etc.

With the old version the "keyframe" settings seemed to be automatic, you just used to work your way through, just doing a bit more crop or rotate where it was needed and in next to no time it was finished.

It might look good "in theory" but when you come to use it in this latest version it's just not practical, total time-waster.

Making absolutely no progress, with the old version it would've been finished ages ago.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure what the "old" version is you are referring to, but it sounds like you might be struggling with the anchor point concept which was added several versions prior. Select the video, then go to Edit (above timeline), then click on "Advanced", near the bottom of the "Object Settings" area is Anchor point. click the checkmark to display. Now when you move one corner all will size as the anchor point is at 0.5 X and 0.5 Y which is the center.

Jeff
Sharpo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure what the "old" version is you are referring to, but it sounds like you might be struggling with the anchor point concept which was added several versions prior. Select the video, then go to Edit (above timeline), then click on "Advanced", near the bottom of the "Object Settings" area is Anchor point. click the checkmark to display. Now when you move one corner all will size as the anchor point is at 0.5 X and 0.5 Y which is the center.

Jeff

My previous version was 21.0.2214.0

I still have that on my old computer.

I've never used the anchor point concept, whatever that is, but I will give it a go.

I also posted another topic which does not show in the list of topics, this one only appeared after I had sent a reply. In the other topic I asked how to go back to the previous version I was using, as that worked well for me. Upgrading to this version seems to be a big mistake.

First thing I did try with this new version was reducing wind noise, that has never worked for me in previous versions & it doesn't in this new version either.
Sharpo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure what the "old" version is you are referring to, but it sounds like you might be struggling with the anchor point concept which was added several versions prior. Select the video, then go to Edit (above timeline), then click on "Advanced", near the bottom of the "Object Settings" area is Anchor point. click the checkmark to display. Now when you move one corner all will size as the anchor point is at 0.5 X and 0.5 Y which is the center.

Jeff

Just tried what you suggested above and that works, not very simple as in version 21.

Then I find another problem. With version 21 I could start with a full frame, then I find 10 seconds into the video I need to rotate by 1 degree to keep the picture level, as I had been filming a moving object and tipped the camcorder slightly. What I tried doing was putting an anchor point 10 seconds in and following what you suggested above. That got my picture level as I wanted, but the 1 degree rotation also replaced the original 0 degree setting at the start of the clip.

With version 21 it could be done in a second or two, just move to 10 seconds, rotate 1 degree & move in a corner until it all fitted within the frame. Then play the clip & it would be exactly what I wanted.

This new version is a nightmare to try & use!!
Tommy G [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2021 11:56 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]

Just tried what you suggested above and that works, not very simple as in version 21.

Then I find another problem. With version 21 I could start with a full frame, then I find 10 seconds into the video I need to rotate by 1 degree to keep the picture level, as I had been filming a moving object and tipped the camcorder slightly. What I tried doing was putting an anchor point 10 seconds in and following what you suggested above. That got my picture level as I wanted, but the 1 degree rotation also replaced the original 0 degree setting at the start of the clip.

With version 21 it could be done in a second or two, just move to 10 seconds, rotate 1 degree & move in a corner until it all fitted within the frame. Then play the clip & it would be exactly what I wanted.

This new version is a nightmare to try & use!!

Yes! I'm having the exact same problem! I have a lot of videos that are crooked, so in the old version I would just go to Rotate a degree or two and then I could "snap" the newly levelled image to display full screen for the entire length of the clip. It was very quick and easy. I'm now having the exact problem you are. I tried the anchor point thing and that helped a little, but now it's showing the black areas where the image has been rotatated! This is no good!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... I tried the anchor point thing and that helped a little, but now it's showing the black areas where the image has been rotatated! This is no good!

Any rotation is going to do that, so you'll have to zoom in slightly to move the black areas completely out of the frame
Sharpo [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes! I'm having the exact same problem! I have a lot of videos that are crooked, so in the old version I would just go to Rotate a degree or two and then I could "snap" the newly levelled image to display full screen for the entire length of the clip. It was very quick and easy. I'm now having the exact problem you are. I tried the anchor point thing and that helped a little, but now it's showing the black areas where the image has been rotatated! This is no good!

I have been using Cyberlink PowerDirector for 7 years. This subject was my first post after joining this forum a week or so ago after downloading 2024 - which I did not like. My problem is now solved, I've gone back to version 21 after contacting Cyberlink support.