Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: It's a bit surprising that the Expanded Project mode also doesn't work

BUT

Quote: All is well if it's inserted as an Expanded Project

When I say "All is well", I mean the same black screen issue doen't occur. The title/particle/overlay behaves as it should.

Cheers - Tony
Hi optodata et al -

I'll just chime in to say that exactly the same thing occurs when you insert a nested project that consists of a Particle or Video Overlay/PiP Object.

All is well if it's inserted as an Expanded Project.

I can't think why I'd ever have a project that contained only titles, particles or overlays.

Cheers - Tony
Hi all -

I agree with tomasc here, though the degree of over-correction varies greatly with different photos & videos. If I was able to create a screen capture that showed some sort of pattern, I'd do so.

Results are variable in PhotoDirector too.

If I had any idea how to go about creating or modifying a lens profile I'd give it a shot... but I'm pretty sure I'd get the same variation I'm seeing here.

About manually adjusting vignette after the GoPro Hero6 Black (Wide) lens profile is applied: the manual slider is already set to minimum! The only adjustment possible is to make it worse surprised

Cheers - Tony
Hi Ulf Henriksen -

That error message is almost certainly the result of lack of QuickTime on your system, assuming they're .MOV files you're importing. The Canon 5D MkVI records in both .MOV & .MP4, depending on which mode you have selected. Reference

My PCs all have a version of QT (Lite or Full) installed, & I have no issue importing the sample files I have from that camera... BUT WAIT! I just uninstalled QT-Lite from one PC and both .MOVs & .MP4s imported perfectly. surprised Have to do a bit more digging there...

This thread doesn't discuss the same issue, but you may be interested as it's about the Canon 5D MkVI.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Geepstar -

You're right - it's not too hard. In fact it's w-a-a-a-y easier that trying to sync scolling text for karaoke!

With your main video in Track 1 & your scrolling text in Track 2, all you need to insert a duplicate of the T1 video in Track 3, then apply a rectangle mask to it.

That way, the text will keep scrolling up the screen but it'll be covered by the duplicate video.

Hopefully, this screen shot will illustrate well enough.

P.S. Personally I'd ditch the idea of scrolling text and just pop each line up as a separate title. You'll get much better control over syncing.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Philippina -

I'd never used the automatic captions in YouTube, though I've used subtitles in PDR. I just tried it out & my conclusion, after only limited testing, would be to use one or the other! Trying to get the two (YT & PDR) to interact correctly has issues!

To me, using PDR's subtitles allows greater precision with timing.

The issues I've come across:

Yes - PDR can export your subtitles as an .srt file which can be uploaded to YouTube in the Subtitles/CC module... BUT all the text formatting marks are displayed on screen. Instead of seeing "Click Modify & we're in Title Designer", you get...

Not very helpful, even though that can all be edited out on YT.

For YouTube, it works much better if you upload a simple text file of the transcript, then allow YT to set the timings.

Yes - the caption.srt file can be downloaded from YT & imported into PDR... & that works pretty well. By default, YouTube lets captions linger till the next one starts, but that can be edited both on YT & in PDR.

I haven't tried any translations yet - just the way YT & PDR interact with subtitles.

Cheers - Tony
Hi optodata -

I was one of the few dozen who read your post and watched your screen capture. My delay in responding was partly because I'd never ever considered changing the alias of a colour board. I can see from your recent post how it would be useful.

Yes - like Dave - I found exactly what you did:

1. Colour board aliases are lost after closing & re-opening PDR.

2. Custom colours aren't save from one session to the next.

The custom colours thing has been that way since I started with PD7.

I suspect the lost aliases with colour boards is related to the fact that "colour boards" in PDR aren't real media. As I understand it they're generated dynamically (???). Someone clever help me out here!

Case in point - if you make a real colour board, a 1920x1080 image, and change the alias as shown in the video... the alias is retained no matter how many times PDR is closed or opened. I have a set of colour boards I use for various purposes, lovingly labelled by the RGB code. I just took one "80, 75, 3" and changed the alias to "Yukky Green"... & it'll stay that way till I click "Reset Alias".

Cheers - Tony
Hi FROMNOW -

First up, I've dabbled with Titler Pro over the years but there's no way I'd profess to having it under control.

As far as I can see, keyframes cannot be used to modify the timing in that Fade in Word by Word transition. 5 seconds ÷ 5 words = 1 second for each word. Adding keyframes and shifting them has no impact.

[I'm very happy to be wrong about the above statement]

In PDR's Title Designer, I can see how you could do that precisely by making each word a separate title, so that the timing of each can be completely controlled.

There's a little packed project attached with the same title done a few different ways... first with NewBlue Titler Pro, then with Title Designer. You'll see in the 3rd example how each word's timing can be manipulated.

Cheers - Tony

A few years back, I mucked around with using Title Designer as a karaoke prompter. In those experiments, I was using the pop-up transitions,which act a bit like NB's word-by-word. The duration is evenly divided by the number of characters.

Hi rogerio -

If I understand what you're saying correctly, I don't think that's right... unless you mean something different by "split screen" than my interpretation of it.

I set up some split screens then applied colour adjustments and LUTs to each & there was no issue.

Here are the screen shots: Colour Adjustment - LUTs

The one thing I did notice was that (after the split screen was set up), checking Colour Enhancement had NO effect.

Cheers - Tony
Update on Dance Party & Inspiration tracks on YouTube...

ALL CLEAR!

Of the 20 tracks from the two collections, 9 were flagged by YouTube as "including copyrighted content". The claims were disputed, of course, and 7 were released immediately. The other 2 have now lapsed after 30 days, so the are no outstanding disputes.

P.S. optodata - I did eventually manage to download that miscreant "Nice Going" track. Not sure how or why surprised

Cheers - Tony
I should also note, my video files I recently moved from my old external hard drive, to a new external hard drive.

I understand you moved the video files because you thought the project wouldn't need further editing. When you received the prompt shown in your screenshot, did you browse to locate the file?

Is your "old" external hard drive still connected? If so, why not move your video files back there to their original location?

The suggestion tomasc made could well be the most effective option, but I've never tried to do it that way myself.

Cheers - Tony
Hi zephyr98 -

With your video clip in the Media Library, you can right click on it and select Extract Audio, just as with previous versions of PDR.

Unlike previous versions, PDR17 has "Audio Editor" instead of "Wave Editor". They have some similar features, but not identical.

One point of difference is that Wave Editor extracts the audio as a .WAV file before editing. In PDR17, you could replicate that by extracting the audio in the Media Library, insert the .WAV in the timeline, then edit it in Audio Editor,

Cheers - Tony
Agreed optodata. Looking at the actual project would be more helpful than trying to replicate & second-guessing the details.

I also agree with Jeff's thinking here, that the issue could well be related to frame rate.

I fabricated an "original" file produced to 23.976 progressive, dropped it in a 24fps timeline and followed the split, remove, shuffle process, so my timeline resembled yours, with the audio track left intact.

I have been unable to replicate the snapshot issue you showed in your second screen capture, not any errors in the produced file. So - there's something different about what you're doing.

I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that the speed changes (slo-mo) sections were part of the original "Feel Invincible" clip. If this is the clip you're using, that's true.

That particular clip is indeed 23.976fps (variable). MediaInfo report attached.

Cheers - Tony
So - just to clarify... (I'm not sure I understood the issue completely before)

1. You've removed segments of the video track & left the audio track intact.
2. You've taken timeline snapshots in the remaining segments, but the snapshots sometimes appear as one of the previously deleted frames

I'm trying to replicate that, but haven't been able to yet.

One suggestion might be to clear out your temporary files. You can do that in Preferences > General, or go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache & delete the contents of the folder.

While you're in there you might also empty the WaveForms folder at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0\Cache\WaveForms (unrelated to the issue you're having)

Perhaps that will help.

Cheers - Tony
Totally correct assumption, Jeff.

And you're right. When I repeated the test using both MPEG-2 & WMV, the frame glitch didn't occur.

Perhaps that's the answer you're looking for FROMNOW (?).

Cheers - Tony
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope it's warranted!

I had to rebuild the project, as it was in a bit of a shambles after I'd saved it before. It's only a 5 second version, but enough to play with.

I've included the original 30 second produced video as well.

One thing I noticed with the produced files - they start with 2x red frames, not 1... maybe that's related to the issue (???)

You'll see what I was trying to do when you open the packed project.

Cheers - Tony
I'm probably about to embarrass myself here, but...

To test FROMNOW's reported issue, I set up a 30fps project made of 30 numbered (1-30) colour boards, each set to 00:00:00:01 duration = 1 second. That was repeated 30 times = 30 seconds.

The frames are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... 30

I next produced the project to 1920x1080/30p. It was, as you'd expect, 30 seconds in duration.

With the original colour boards still in Track 1, I inserted the produced video in Track 2, the split it as shown below:

The purpose was to remove Frames 1, 2, 3. 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, & 23 (i.e. all red, orange & yellow frames).

After removing the images in Track 1, I produced again... & this may verify what I think FROMNOW has reported:

The produced file started with a yellow frame & included every subsequent yellow frame numbered 3, 13, & 23, even though I'd deleted those frames from the project.

Please show me the flaws in my thinking, because I'm quite sure there are some!

Cheers - Tony
Hi Philippina -

In PD 16 I could insert these previously edited intro sequence and closing sequence to a new project and could also edit those sequences, because these projects were inserted with all their tracks and individual shots visible.

If you want PDR17 to behave just as PDR16 does, all you need to do is set your preferences to "Expanded", as shown in Nigel's screenshot.

In PD 17 when I try to insert a PD project (an opening intro sequence) PD inserts this PD project as one "video": a produced/mixed pdf file on 2 tracks only (sound and video). No waveform is visible on this audio track and no individual shots used in the intro sequence is visible. Only one sound track and one video track.

When you import a project as "Nested", it appears on a single track. If you double click it, all the tracks will be visible & you can edit as you wish.

Cheers - Tony
Hi nedrob -

To add a custom thumbnail on YouTube, the first thing you need to do is to make sure your account is verified.

1. Open your channel & go to Creator Studio or Studio Beta (whichever you use)

2. Under Settings > Channel > Status & Features, check whether it says "Verify" or "Verified"

3. For "Verify" clcick it to prompt an SMS with a verification code

4. For "Verified", you're good to go

5. On the Status & Features page, just make sure "Custom Thumbnails" says Enabled.

When you upload a video to your channel, you'll have the option to select a custom thumbnail. Upload it & save your video.

Cheers - Tony
Hi tomasc -

Even though we've strayed from the original question, I confirm your findings with Audio Editor & 5.1 audio. EEK! surprised

Same thing occurs with 7.1 audio too, whether it's part of a video or a separate audio clip.

Screen capture shows difference between Audio Editor & AudioDirector.

Cheers - Tony
Hi FROMNOW -

You're right.

If you select multiple clips, you can go to Power Tools > Video Speed & change the speed of the clips...

BUT - if you want to use the "Selected Range" option, then it needs to be done one clip at a time.

PDR cannot select different ranges from multiple clips.

Cheers - Tony
Go to: