Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can PD 17 create .srt subtitle files that can be exported to YouTube?
Philippina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2016 09:43 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
1) Can PD 17 create .srt subtitle/captions files that can be exported separately wihout embedding it into the project itself?

2) Can I import .srt files from YouTube's transcription page? PD 17 does not seem to recognize .srt files downloaded from YT?

It seems not possible?

Will apprecate help.
[Thumb - Subtitel files that PD 17 does not recognize.PNG]
 Filename
Subtitel files that PD 17 does not recognize.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 1) Can PD 17 create .srt subtitle/captions files that can be exported separately wihout embedding it into the project itself?

2) Can I import .srt files from YouTube's transcription page? PD 17 does not seem to recognize .srt files downloaded from YT?

It seems not possible?

Will apprecate help.

I normally wait like and hour to give youtube time to do the main translation which is english for me. Then I download the file youtube and head over to http://www.syedgakbar.com/projects/dst to make any language I want. Then I submit it to youtube.

Keep in mind if I convert to French I also need to do the title and desciption and keywords in french for that language set which I simply use google translater to do this.

Hope this helps

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2019 06:27

PowerDirector Tutorials Team
Philippina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2016 09:43 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]

I normally wait like and hour to give youtube time to do the main translation which is english for me. Then I download the file youtube and head over to http://www.syedgakbar.com/projects/dst to make any language I want. Then I submit it to youtube.

Keep in mind if I convert to French I also need to do the title and desciption and keywords in french for that language set which I simply use google translater to do this.

Hope this helps

Thank you for this advice. I will visit this out web adress.

However, I still have a problem with my original 2 questions. Do I have to embed the subtitles or can I export .srt separately? And NB why does PD 17 not accept my downloaded YT .srt file?

While I was waiting for an answer I started experimenting on PD 17 with subtitles for a new project. I normally do my YT captions on YT's excellent transcription facility. And I do like their auto timing provided. It certainly eases my work and shortens the time it takes to do the transcriptions.

I noticed that PD 17 do not provide auto suggested timings. A pity.

It therefore seems logical to rather do my subtitles on the YT facility than on PD 17? But that means I have to stay online to do this. For my long YT projects I would have preferred to be able to do it on PD 17 with auto suggested timings and then export the .srt file and upload to YT.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector can export the subtitles in the Subtitle room and Powerdirector can import subtitles from a .srt file that was created in another program.

All that is available in the subtitle room (F12).

If you have subtitles in your project you can export the subtitles to an .srt file, you can then upload that .srt file to Youtube. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Philippina -

I'd never used the automatic captions in YouTube, though I've used subtitles in PDR. I just tried it out & my conclusion, after only limited testing, would be to use one or the other! Trying to get the two (YT & PDR) to interact correctly has issues!

To me, using PDR's subtitles allows greater precision with timing.

The issues I've come across:

Yes - PDR can export your subtitles as an .srt file which can be uploaded to YouTube in the Subtitles/CC module... BUT all the text formatting marks are displayed on screen. Instead of seeing "Click Modify & we're in Title Designer", you get...

Not very helpful, even though that can all be edited out on YT.

For YouTube, it works much better if you upload a simple text file of the transcript, then allow YT to set the timings.

Yes - the caption.srt file can be downloaded from YT & imported into PDR... & that works pretty well. By default, YouTube lets captions linger till the next one starts, but that can be edited both on YT & in PDR.

I haven't tried any translations yet - just the way YT & PDR interact with subtitles.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2019 17:06

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Roland vl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2017 03:44 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you for this advice. I will visit this out web adress.

However, I still have a problem with my original 2 questions. Do I have to embed the subtitles or can I export .srt separately? And NB why does PD 17 not accept my downloaded YT .srt file?

While I was waiting for an answer I started experimenting on PD 17 with subtitles for a new project. I normally do my YT captions on YT's excellent transcription facility. And I do like their auto timing provided. It certainly eases my work and shortens the time it takes to do the transcriptions.

I noticed that PD 17 do not provide auto suggested timings. A pity.

It therefore seems logical to rather do my subtitles on the YT facility than on PD 17? But that means I have to stay online to do this. For my long YT projects I would have preferred to be able to do it on PD 17 with auto suggested timings and then export the .srt file and upload to YT.

I am doing the subtitles always in PD; exporting them in .srt-files an finally uploading to YT. BUT there is a bug in the format of time-indication in the srt-file: see discussion here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78615.page

Embed subtitles in mkv and then uploading them to YT is not working. Also avoid formatting of sub-titles.