Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi DG -

The difference between the two is how the playhead functions. In PDR it's necessary to either select timeline media to move it or insert other media to have it "ripple". In Camtasia, it's possible to place the playhead at a certain point then move everything to the right of the playhead.

To my knowledge, there's no combination of keys that can make PDR do anything similar.

As Jeff has pointed out, a suggestion that such a feature be incorporated into PDR can be put via File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions.

Cheers - Tony
tomasc -

What you've posted makes sense, & it makes working with freeform keyframes in Motion Designer more predictable.

When using the freeform option in Pan & Zoom:

1. The aspect ratio can be set to any user preference but that AR will remain constant thoughout the motion

2. Panning & zooming are both possible, but only using that AR

3. Aspect ratio will be determined by the most recently set keyframe

What makes "sense" is that AR remains constant if you select 4:3, 16:9 or 9:16, so why wouldn't it if you select "Freeform"? Maybe it should be labelled "Restricted Freeform", "Sorta Freeform" or maybe "Enhanced Freeform" wink

But, PDuser97031B, I maintain what I posted earlier. The behaviour of freeform keyframes in Motion Designer is the same in PDR 17, 16 & 15.

Cheers - Tony
Resolved? Resolved?

tomasc - I think you're onto something with your panorama comment. I've just replicated that: set up panorama with freeform keyframes & use only pan (no zoom) the freeform keyframes don't reset themselves.

Ooops - tried that a few times and it seemed to confirm it, then I somehow managed to create a bit of zoom (without previous keyframes being reset). I'll have to scratch deeper to find out what I actually did!

PDuser97031B - your screen capture shows the issue well.

Cheers - Tony
Yea! First time today someone agreed with me laughing

When I looked at the "Walk in the Desert" video, I couldn't see how freeform keyframes were used at all. To me, it looks like panning and zooming across a single image with other images planted on it.

In honour of Jeff's confirmation of my observations (& CP's birthday), here's a little Pan & Zoom video using images taken (not by me) in Petrified Forest National Park in sunny Arizona. It looks (& sounds) a lot like the one posted by PDuser97-31B, but no freeform - just 16:9 & 4:3.

Cheers - Tony
er - re: Magic Motion not working as in PD15

PDR15 does exactly the same thing using freeform in Magic Motion. surprised Keyframes get reset for no obvious reason.

As I said, I've hardly ever used it, so I'm not speaking with any authority - just what I observe now.

PDR15 Magic Motion Freeform...

Cheers - Tony
Do you really think that the 16/17 behavior is the way it should be for this function? What would be the reasoning behind it?

I agree that how the freeform pan & zoom "functions" is NOT what a user would expect. In fact, in its current state, it's next to useless. Even when you go back and reset the keyframes that have been changed by some other action, that causes other keyframes to reset themselves... so I couldn't possibly attempt to explain the "reasoning behind it".

As optodata says, you can do what you want (I think) in PiP Designer. You can also use keyframed masks to pan across an image.

Cheers - Tony
I have been using PD since about version 7, and have created dozens of videos with magic motion pan and zoom in them.

Me too.

It hasn't changed from PDR16, as far as I can see. I barely ever use freeform Pan & Zoom/Magic Motion so I've never even noticed that the initial keyframes reset themselves like that. The same thing happens in PDR16 when using freeform.

It doesn't happen in PDR16 or 17 when 4:3 or 16:9 are selected. The initial keyframes remain set as expected.

Unlisted screen capture showing PDR16 & 17:

Cheers - Tony
Hi optodata -

Confirmed here, without even a hint of an explanation. I think it's one of those WTF moments.

1. Copied your titles group (00:00:39:58 on a 60fps timeline) - pasted into a new 60fps project - total duration 00:06:29:40 surprised

2. Switched timeline to 30fps - titles duration 00:00:39:29 - copied and pasted to new 30fps project - total duration 00:06:39:20

3. New 30fps project - 1 title 00:00:10:00 = copied & pasted to new 30fps project - duration 00:01:40:00

If it was a bank or the stock exchange, that sort of maths could work quite well for you.

Sorry I can't offer you any consolation, except that it's not just you.

Cheers - Tony
Hi David -

Don't feel too bad about "missing something" because it's not entirely obvious.

That thing labelled "path_000" is actually an animation, composed of 299 separate .png files. On your PC, you'll find them tucked away in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates\Creative Design Pack\Travel Pack 4\ExpressProject\Road Trip-Opening (unless you've placed them elsewhere).

As a side note, if you want to save that animation as a separate PiP Object/Video Overlay it's easy to do:

1. Drop the opening sequence of the Road Trip Express Project in your timelines.

2. Select the PiP object named "pip-01" in Track 2

3. Open it in PiP Designer

4. Click Save As and give it a name... e.g. "Yellow Path"

5. Now it appears in your custom PiPs

... and the animation files are copied to your MyPinPs folder in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0\... in a sub-folder.

Cheers - Tony
DOH! It took me a while to comprehend why anyone was talking about 16:9 video in a 4:3 project produced to a 16:9 profile... it was the OP's screenshots.

Yes, given all that, I can replicate the "issue" of misplaced title backgrounds in the produced file. BUT - it's totally controllable.

16:9 video in a 16:9 project produced to a 16:9 profile - NO ISSUE! (that I've found)
4:3 video in a 4:3 project produced to a 4:3 profile - NO ISSUE! (that I've found)

16:9 video in a 4:3 project produced to a 16:9 profile - issue is easily replicated. To me, personally, no issue because I wouldn't do that.

I could easily have missed something here & I'm sure I'll be corrected if I have. embarassed

Cheers - Tony
Hi Yolanda8701 -

After half a dozen tests, repliacting your steps, I can't replicate the shifting background issue. I formatted the titles/backrounds differently for each test.

Obviously it shouldn't be happening, but could you post a screenshot of your background settings in Title Designer? &/or any other informatin that may e relevant.

Cheers - Tony
Jim - I can agree with it too, on the basis of personal & immediate experience.

I know the OP has resolved the original question, but thought I'd post these here in case anyone else ever has a need for the same sort of thing.

After some hours of "boring myself witless" I fabricated two count up timers to be used as video overlays. I say "fabricated" because one of the initial propositions was to do a screen recording of a count-up timer... that idea ran into a bit of a snag. After producing the cropped & tidied up screen capture, the duration was short by an unnacceptable amount. I jumped through all sorts of hoops trying to test the accuracy of the original timers & find what was going wrong in production. As far as I could tell, the produced video was "losing" about a frame each minute... & because the project was ~100 minutes in duration, the produced file was ~100 frames short (i.e. not much good for a "timer"). The maths part of my brain wasn't up to the task embarassed hence the need for "fabrication".

Anyway, I made two Count-up timer videos. One's done totally with titles on a green screen background, so it can be chroma-keyed. The other was manufactured from a screen cap of the Stadium Score app found by optodata. Shan't bore you with the details. (I still haven't managed to get that thing to go past 45 minutes without jumping columns)

You can download the two (720p) videos here:

Green Screen Titles
Stadium Score Screen Cap

Here's what they (might) look like in situ:

Green Screen Titles...

Stadium Score Screen Cap...

Download links are in the video description too.

And yes - a bit of extra flexibility built into the Time Stamp effect would be very welcome

Cheers - Tony
Hi mrloowee123 -

One way to do that is explained in this post.

Cheers - Tony
OK - I was wrong about the Stadium Score app... took a bit of fiddling before I found that right-clicking led me to the reset/settings. I couldn't get to the options either.

Thinking I had it under control, I set up a screen capture of the count-up timer. All good, I thought, and went off to do other things while it worked its way up to 99 minutes. HA! When I came back a while later, I found this on the screen:

because I'd set it to "Soccer" (45 minute halves). DOH!

optodata - what setting di you use to get it to roll past 60 minutes? Some of them are countdowns (i.e. time left) & I can't modify them.

Cheers - Tony
Useful little app, optodata... if you're on a Surface, tablet etc with a touch screen. Scratching around, I've found dozens of apps like that, but they all have one shortcoming or the other. It leads one to think there must be a Count Up Timer/Stopwatch app that will do the job without the rollover.

Anyway, Mike, doing a screen recording of the timer is a definite possibility.

In the meantime, here's an example of how that Title Timer project might look in situ... the video is FIFA gameplay. Scoreboard in top left corner is just a black box with a hole it in & a few graphics plonked on top.

I'll keep digging opto!

Cheers - Tony
Hi Mike -

That "rollover at 60" is the thing that makes your game timer more challenging.

Yonks ago, before there was a time stamp effect in PDR, PDtoots had requests for ways to create on-screen timers. At the time, the best thing I could come up with was using titles as Jim (Sharper Turtle) showed in his tutorials. Attached is the "how to" doc I made back then. We distributed these as produced videos but the longest one was 20 minutes, which is useless if you have a game that goes for 75!

The simplest things to do - like using the Time Stamp or NewBlue timer FX - even doing a screen recording of an on-screen stopwatch - ALL have that "rollover at 60" limitation.

So - if you want your timer to go... 59:58 - 59:59 - 60:00 - 60:01 - 60:02 etc (to avoid the rollover) you have to make it manually or find a windows stopwatch that can be customised so it counts only minutes & seconds without jumping from 59:59 to 01:00:00

The (sort of) good news is that once you've bored yourself witless copying & pasting titles, you can use it over and over (using the produced file).

Take a look at this packed project - it's only titles - & you'll see how "easy" it is to manufacture once you have the formatting sorted out.

Cheers - Tony
Hi masterdrago -

Jeff's advice about the trial version is spot on. It does limit some users' ability to actually trial the software.

I can tell you that my 11 year-old grandson edits HEVC video from his GoPro7 Black using PDR17 & he would be definitely more of a novice than you!

The paid version of PDR will see you right.

Cheers - Tony
Hi A Bad Password -

I'm sorry. I'm having real trouble understanding what youve described too. It's obviously an issue of great concern if things are jumping "out of whack" on your timeline without any action by you!

As best as I can from your post, I've replicated the steps you described here BUT I don't get "footage completely moving out of place". It goes where I put it, or where is should go after something else I've done.

If you could post a screen capture, or at least some screenshots, that would help clarify what you're saying.

Cheers - Tony
Hi cotsy -

The short answer is, you don't.

After applying a LUT or Preset (a tick appears in the interface to show which has been applied), then clicking out of the Fix/Enhance module, there is no indication (when you return) of which one you previously used.

This is unlike manual adjustments in Fix/Enhance, where the sliders are found just as you left them.

And you're right, the same thing occurs when presets are applied via CDR... when you returnn to CDR, there's no indication of which preset had been applied previously. If you apply a LUT via CDR, when you return & click on the LUT colour wheel, the applied LUT is shown.

I can't offer you an answer beyond that. I agree, if you're using multiple presets & LUTs throughout your project it would be very difficult to keep track of.

Cheers - Tony
Yes - here nested projects like the ones we've been discussing do not display as expected BUT with preferences set to "Expanded", display is correct.

Arguably, it's not an intended purpose of "Insert Project" to create multi-track overlaid projects... rather build up a main project by inserting sub-projects. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers - Tony
Quote: It's a bit surprising that the Expanded Project mode also doesn't work

BUT

Quote: All is well if it's inserted as an Expanded Project

When I say "All is well", I mean the same black screen issue doen't occur. The title/particle/overlay behaves as it should.

Cheers - Tony
Go to: