Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video puts frames I deleted
FROMNOW [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 26, 2018 18:46 Messages: 73 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

I am editing a movie clip.
I keep all the audio but removed parts of the video.
As a test I produced 30 seconds of it but in the output file, frames are shown that I deleted in the edit.

I did notice that powerdirector doesn't totally remove deleted frames because I am selecting a very short clip (both before and after have been deleted). I play the short clip and it automatically goes back to the beginning just as I want BUT the image/frame it shows is one I removed.

Let's say I there are 9 frames.

a1 a2 a3 b1 b2 b3 c1 c2 c3

I keep only b1 b2 b3

When clicking on this clip and playing it, it goes back to the beginning but it doesnt show b1 but a3.
Maybe this is linked to my problem, it does show that powerdirector saves frames on the timeline that have been deleted even though they can't be seen on the timelin..

Any help is appreciated
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a little confused about what you're describing, since you're mixing in things that happen after you've produced the clip with what you're seeing on the timeline when previewing.

One thing that would help tremendously is to make a screen recording of your timeline and the behavior you see when you do various things.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are truly working with an extemely short clip of just 9 frames is that most video clips are encoded, and there is an occasional reference frame followed by many "changes-only" frames, and PD may have trouble showing the correct frame when a clip stops with so few frames available.

You may actually be better off taking 3 screen shots of each successive frame and dealing with stand-alone images rather than video frames.

A thrid option would be to manually delete the temp files PD may have created (under Preferences, General) to see if they are conflicting with your timeline edits. You may need to start a new project to remove the files in use by your current one.
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello

I recorded it.

I'm showing a part of the edited music video clip between second 48-52

3 deleted frames pop up

https://youtu.be/M9I9aekzESs

At the end I show the settings I put for the produce and the mediainfo of the original file.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
YT video is not available.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I'm probably about to embarrass myself here, but...

To test FROMNOW's reported issue, I set up a 30fps project made of 30 numbered (1-30) colour boards, each set to 00:00:00:01 duration = 1 second. That was repeated 30 times = 30 seconds.

The frames are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... 30

I next produced the project to 1920x1080/30p. It was, as you'd expect, 30 seconds in duration.

With the original colour boards still in Track 1, I inserted the produced video in Track 2, the split it as shown below:

The purpose was to remove Frames 1, 2, 3. 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, & 23 (i.e. all red, orange & yellow frames).

After removing the images in Track 1, I produced again... & this may verify what I think FROMNOW has reported:

The produced file started with a yellow frame & included every subsequent yellow frame numbered 3, 13, & 23, even though I'd deleted those frames from the project.

Please show me the flaws in my thinking, because I'm quite sure there are some!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After removing the images in Track 1, I produced again... & this may verify what I think FROMNOW has reported:

The produced file started with a yellow frame & included every subsequent yellow frame numbered 3, 13, & 23, even though I'd deleted those frames from the project.

Please show me the flaws in my thinking, because I'm quite sure there are some!

Cheers - Tony
Tony, I doubt there are any flaws in your thinking, but I'm not following why the produced clip as shown on Track 2 has a missing orange 2nd frame and also has the 3rd yellow frame from the timeline clips starting as the 4th frame in the produced clip.

Can you please pack the project and share it? There appear to be quite a few unexpected results here...

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope it's warranted!

I had to rebuild the project, as it was in a bit of a shambles after I'd saved it before. It's only a 5 second version, but enough to play with.

I've included the original 30 second produced video as well.

One thing I noticed with the produced files - they start with 2x red frames, not 1... maybe that's related to the issue (???)

You'll see what I was trying to do when you open the packed project.

Cheers - Tony
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Please show me the flaws in my thinking, because I'm quite sure there are some!

For a test like that, to be frame accurate, simply produce to WMV, MPEG2, or DVI and you should have it. Probably the easiest way to compare is to shrink video track2 when you import it back in and toggle through timeline and original colorboard timeline (background clip) and shrunk track 2 (say a corner clip) will always have matching colors.

I'd simply assume you used H.264 and/or H.265.

Jeff
ynotfish
[Post New]
Totally correct assumption, Jeff.

And you're right. When I repeated the test using both MPEG-2 & WMV, the frame glitch didn't occur.

Perhaps that's the answer you're looking for FROMNOW (?).

Cheers - Tony
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Totally correct assumption, Jeff.

And you're right. When I repeated the test using both MPEG-2 & WMV, the frame glitch didn't occur.

Perhaps that's the answer you're looking for FROMNOW (?).

Cheers - Tony

Or, simply adjust your pref produce settings if you want H.26x.

EDIT: I think my statement above is false, the setting I thought existed in pref produce is not there.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2019 21:42

FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
You could see the youtube video ?

With h264 this is to be expected with modified short clips ?

I need to produce to WMV, MPEG2, or DVI ?
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You could see the youtube video ?

I produced it to WMV and MPEG2 (is DVI DV-AVI ?) and the same mistakes came up..

By the way my end goal is to upload it to youtube.

Obviously first I would want there to be no mistakes and then the quality of the end video on youtube itself is my second concern.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 20. 2019 22:30

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You could see the youtube video ?

You are the only one that can see your YouTube video. See the screenshot.
[Thumb - YT unavailable.jpg]
 Filename
YT unavailable.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Only the author can see his video.
 Filesize
134 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]

You are the only one that can see your YouTube video. See the screenshot.

Oh I put it on now.

https://youtu.be/M9I9aekzESs
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I produced it to WMV and MPEG2 (is DVI DV-AVI ?) and the same mistakes came up..

Not necessarily, I had written "For a test like that" referring to Tony's test trying to replicate your issue since no one could see your video post. My view, its' basically a fps issue. Tony was trying to create a true 30fps with colorboards.

What is your source fps, how is your timeline fps set in pref, and what exact produce settings did you use may provide a few clues. However, what Youtube will do to it can be another issue as I believe Youtube end encode is always common whole number fps.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2019 22:48

FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not necessarily, I had written "For a test like that" referring to Tony's test trying to replicate your issue since no one could see your video post. My view, its' basically a fps issue. Tony was trying to create a true 30fps with colorboards.

What is your source fps, how is your timeline fps set in pref, and what exact produce settings did you use may provide a few clues. However, what Youtube will do to it can be another issue as I believe Youtube end encode is always common whole number fps.

Jeff

The original file is 23.976 fps.

The timeline is set to 24 fps.

As produce settings I used a custom profile with 23.976 fps. Frame type progressive. High profile. CABAC.
Average bitrate 15500 (I didn't know what to use and it was set to 15500; also I don't know how to find the average bitrate of the original file with mediaInfo). Quality mode. Use deblocking.

I produced 15-20 different clips from second 47-52 where 3 deleted frames popped up (there are many others in the modified music video clip) and all gave the same result.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2019 08:58

FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Another thing to keep in mind if you are truly working with an extemely short clip of just 9 frames is that most video clips are encoded, and there is an occasional reference frame followed by many "changes-only" frames, and PD may have trouble showing the correct frame when a clip stops with so few frames available.

You may actually be better off taking 3 screen shots of each successive frame and dealing with stand-alone images rather than video frames.

It does seem to bug more often with shorter clips and/or clips that are short next to each other and/or that have been dragged/copied from somewhere else on the timeline and so on.

I took snapshots.

This time the video is a little over 1 minute and it shows clearly what happens

https://youtu.be/yLrQUZr7zgA
ynotfish
[Post New]
So - just to clarify... (I'm not sure I understood the issue completely before)

1. You've removed segments of the video track & left the audio track intact.
2. You've taken timeline snapshots in the remaining segments, but the snapshots sometimes appear as one of the previously deleted frames

I'm trying to replicate that, but haven't been able to yet.

One suggestion might be to clear out your temporary files. You can do that in Preferences > General, or go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache & delete the contents of the folder.

While you're in there you might also empty the WaveForms folder at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0\Cache\WaveForms (unrelated to the issue you're having)

Perhaps that will help.

Cheers - Tony
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So - just to clarify... (I'm not sure I understood the issue completely before)

1. You've removed segments of the video track & left the audio track intact.
2. You've taken timeline snapshots in the remaining segments, but the snapshots sometimes appear as one of the previously deleted frames

I'm trying to replicate that, but haven't been able to yet.

One suggestion might be to clear out your temporary files. You can do that in Preferences > General, or go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache & delete the contents of the folder.

While you're in there you might also empty the WaveForms folder at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0\Cache\WaveForms (unrelated to the issue you're having)

Perhaps that will help.

Cheers - Tony

1. Yes. I'v removed segments and also copied some and put them at multiple places.[/list]
2. Yes. I took snapshots to try and find a solution (as suggested by someone) and to my surprise at the exact places where the produced video was showing these flashes of the frames that I had deleted, there these deleted frames were revealed to be instead of the ones that are shown in the preview.

If I delete the temporary files do I have to restart the project ? Are the temporary files the same as the shadow files ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2019 17:14

optodata
[Post New]
Quote If I delete the temporary files do I have to restart the project ? Are the temporary files the same as the shadow files ?

PD will re-create any temp files after you've deleted any existing ones, and ideally that would solve the "ghosting" issue here. You do not have to abandon your project, but you would want to close and restart PD. If you use the Manually Delete option in PD, you'll have to start a new project or open another one to free up the in-use files so they can be deleted. If you want to clear out the cache folders directly as Tony has suggested, just make sure PD is closed.

Shadow files are temporary files, but for a different purpose. If you have them enabled and nothing else is solving the problem, you can try deleting those as well. Nothing in your project (edits, etc) will be affected.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°