Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lens correction washes out image
tl098711 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2019 10:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings,
I am using PowerDirector17, and whenver I use lens correction, the image gets washed out with too much light. Blue skies turn white, especially around the edges. My camera is a GoProHero6 Black. It's a pain to have to go and try to manually adjust color, contrast, and exposure after doing lens correction every time. Any suggestions? See example below. Many thanks.

Without Lens Correction:
No Lens Correction

With Lens Correction:
With Lens Correction

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2019 15:21

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Greetings,
I am using PowerDirector17, and whenver I use lens correction, the image gets washed out with too much light. Blue skies turn white, especially around the edges. My camera is a GoProHero6 Black. It's a pain to have to go and try to manually adjust color, contrast, and exposure after doing lens correction every time. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the sample images! I downloaded the first one and applied various corrections and didn't really see any issues. Take a look at this brief screen recording:

Maybe try unchecking each of the Hardware Acceleration options one at a time and see if either makes a difference:

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Looks like too much vignetting applied, probably worth a try playing around with the vignette controls.
Using your raw image, on a purely visual comparison it looks like the same "washed out" effect can be generated by increasing the vignette amount, but I might be on the wrong path??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
As per the OP and the PDM their findings reflect what I have found. The GoPro Lens Correction profile works on the jpg in correcting the barrel distortion without applying the Vignette correction. This is also shown in optodata's YT video lihk.

The same profile applies too much vignette correction to the GoPro Hero6 wide video. Switch to an earlier profile like the GoPro Hero 5, 3,2, etc. and the barrel correction is done without that excessive vignette correction. See the attached screen recording.

The vignette controls are active only when you don’t select a lens correction profile and do it manually.
 Filename
20190311090730.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Excessive vignette correction in the GoPro Hero 6 wide profile.
 Filesize
4870 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
253 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 11. 2019 10:44

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all -

I agree with tomasc here, though the degree of over-correction varies greatly with different photos & videos. If I was able to create a screen capture that showed some sort of pattern, I'd do so.

Results are variable in PhotoDirector too.

If I had any idea how to go about creating or modifying a lens profile I'd give it a shot... but I'm pretty sure I'd get the same variation I'm seeing here.

About manually adjusting vignette after the GoPro Hero6 Black (Wide) lens profile is applied: the manual slider is already set to minimum! The only adjustment possible is to make it worse surprised

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Tony, for looking into this. I used to think that the Lens profiles were created by Users. Once the vignette correction is applied and uploaded as a lens profile then the end user can only apply more and not less vignette correction. This may be a bug that needs to be reported to Cyberlink as I believe this same issue has been reported here in the forums many times.

The lens correction/Vignette removal should default to the + and not the – side for DZ downloaded so that users can remove excessive vignette correction created by the Cyberlink lens profile creator. It should be on the – side for users who do the correction manually.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Doing a little research reveal that those Lens Profiles in the DZ are created by users and uploaded to DZ for all to share. I haven’t done enough research yet to see why and how zoom lenses got to be on the list as I believe normally they have barrel distortion and vignetting at widest opening that is no longer there once the aperture is closed 2-F stops down at the wide angle setting only and only get pincushion distortion at the telephoto end: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=20933 . How would the person creating the lens profile determine it is for wide aperture which normally has vignetting and normal aperture which has no vignetting. This one size fits all is bad.

Yes, you are allowed to create lens profile and share them in the DZ. See this information: https://directorzone.cyberlink.com/MemberCreation/web/phd5/LensProfileGenerator_UserGuide.pdf . I believe a GoPro hero 6 lens profile with no vignette correction is needed when the lens aperture is small when used in outdoor shooting in sunlight.

Hope that someone who have an interest can pursue this. There may be many lens profile created for wide aperture indoor use and outdoor use lens profile are needed. Tony you may have the resources to do this one lens profile. I can supply the photos and videos for this particular GoPro.