Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
missing audio clip feature in pd17?
zephyr98 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 22, 2019 09:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
how can you extract and modify an audio clip in pd17. for up to pd14, the edit audio feature let me set a clip, then do an edit of it. i could make it smaller. even sub a different clip.
but when i try anything in pd17, it only lets me modify the existing clip. no change size. or replace. or extract so i can modify it with a different program.

so my question is. with pd17, how can i import or export an audio clip. im talking about grabbing a piece of music or voice over and using it into a fairly complex project.

can this feature be done in pd16? there used to be a waveditor program installed with pd. and this would let me do this things. so does pd16 install waveditor?

a secondary question is- can i edit the options in pd17 to allow their audiodirector program be active. can i install waveditor from pd14 and use it with p17.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2019 09:39

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi zephyr98 -

With your video clip in the Media Library, you can right click on it and select Extract Audio, just as with previous versions of PDR.

Unlike previous versions, PDR17 has "Audio Editor" instead of "Wave Editor". They have some similar features, but not identical.

One point of difference is that Wave Editor extracts the audio as a .WAV file before editing. In PDR17, you could replicate that by extracting the audio in the Media Library, insert the .WAV in the timeline, then edit it in Audio Editor,

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
zephyr98 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i carefully looked at the extract method and found it not very useful.

the extract is done on the whole item in the library. it is NOT done on a clip in the project. so you could not do, for example, find a small speech in a play video, ie brutus in julius cesear, put clip markers on the start and end, select the speech clip, and extract it to an audio editor or send in an email.

and that is the feature that wave editor could do in a crude but workable fashion.

i woiuld like to use pd17 and above for all my adventures. but not being able to treat audio in a robust way kinda means i have to switch to pd14 for audio.

btw. what is the last version of project director that uses wave editor or even audio director. (ie, allows extract of a clipped file).
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote i carefully looked at the extract method and found it not very useful.

the extract is done on the whole item in the library. it is NOT done on a clip in the project. so you could not do, for example, find a small speech in a play video, ie brutus in julius cesear, put clip markers on the start and end, select the speech clip, and extract it to an audio editor or send in an email.

I think there may be some confusion here regarding the exact steps.

If you want to extract and work with a section of audio, you can indeed do so from the timeline: simply right-click on the desired clip and choose Edit Audio... If you have AudioDirector installed, the existing audio track from that clip will be replaced by a .wav file after the editing is finished and a copy of the produced .wav file will also be placed in the media library. No further action is needed to email that .wav file or open it in another program. It's been fully extracted.

If you select Audio Editor to edit the audio from a timeline clip, the changes will be made directly to the clip and there will not be a separate audio clip at that point.

To get one (or to create an audio-only clip from any timeline clip even without using an audio editor), simply use the Range Select tool to select the entire clip (you may want to move it to the end of the project so it's fully isolated from the other project clips), and then click on Produce Range and choose one of the audio profiles under the music notes icon.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2019 16:02

zephyr98 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ahhh. making progress.

from what you wrote, i can load up the wholel play. find the brutus speech, clip it. select it.
then there is a choice. if audiodirector is installed, then i can get it using the right click. and if its not, i get nada. so wave editor is dropped from pd17.

i looked up a few things and noted that pd16 still has wave editor. so the extract of the speech would work in either audiodirector or wave editor.

so tks for your words. and this one is solved.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ahhh. making progress.

.... if audiodirector is installed, then i can get it using the right click. and if its not, i get nada. so wave editor is dropped from pd17

Yes, but PD17 does have Audio Editor, and remember it's actually fewer steps to directly produce the audio of any timeline clip than it is to open any of the audio apps (as long as you don't need to make any audio changes first).