Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
YouTube audio quiet | remove audio compression
Chris Peacock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2018 16:02 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

1. When editing the PD17 (365 subscriber) the audio is great. When I upload to YouTube the audio is quiet, almost inaudible! Why is this?

2. In trying to improve the volume I went through each clip and added a 10db increase in the volume (dynamic range compression). Some clips are now clipping so need to work on the levels. When trying to undo it would only undo 20 or so, so the remaining are now stuck with the audio compression change. I've saved so can't even revert. Any thoughts? Can you remove the compression somehow? It's showing the "i" on the clip and a "Audio Editor" message so it knows I've made the change.

Thanks
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77190.page#post_box_315914 and attach a screenshot of your timeline. This will help in determining the audio level you have. You probably did not need to adjust the audio volume.

Listen to other user submitted clips and let us know if the volume is about the same as yours without adjusting the volume controls on your pc or laptop.
Chris Peacock [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote See this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77190.page#post_box_315914 and attach a screenshot of your timeline. This will help in determining the audio level you have. You probably did not need to adjust the audio volume.

Listen to other user submitted clips and let us know if the volume is about the same as yours without adjusting the volume controls on your pc or laptop.

Thanks. Attached as requested. The bottom timeline is from YouTube studio.

Can you remove the "Audio Editor: dynamic range compression" once it's been applied? It doesn't seem the same as an effect where you can remove it or reset it.
[Thumb - audio.png]
 Filename
audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
timeline audio
 Filesize
436 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the screenshots. The audio in track 1 can be adjusted in the audio mixing room as well as any audio tracks. You can easily restore the audio volume to the original volume via a right mouse click dialog. You can revert the audio settings after using Audio Editor by using undo. After saving changes, undo in PD17 also worked. After you save and open the project I have found no way to revert.

I found a problem with the audio editor that I don’t have with the previous WaveEditor on the previous versions of PD. 5.1 settings in pref. and timeline. Use of WaveEditor is fine.

In PD17 5.1 settings in pref. and timeline. Use of Audio Editor causes the audio to be silent and you will get a flat line instead of a waveform. This new Audio Editor show All available track or single track buttons on the top right. Neither one worked for 5.1 audio.

The Audio Editor works fine if the pref. is set to stereo and the clip is stereo too.

If someone who uses 5.1 audio can confirm my findings on the PD17 Audio Editor I do appreciate it.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have recently updated PD17 to version 2514.2. The same problem exists with 5.1 audio. Created support Ticket ID: CS001990065.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi tomasc -

Even though we've strayed from the original question, I confirm your findings with Audio Editor & 5.1 audio. EEK! surprised

Same thing occurs with 7.1 audio too, whether it's part of a video or a separate audio clip.

Screen capture shows difference between Audio Editor & AudioDirector.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Tony, for your confirmation and YouTube video showing the problem with 5.1 and 7.1 audio. I sent them the requested screenshots where the audio is silent with a flat line, screenshot of version window, etc. I included a link to this OP thread with your YT link showing the same problem.

Got a message that they have reproduced a similar issue and the case is escalated to engineering team.
Chris Peacock [Avatar]
[Post New]
Has anyone got a real solution to this yet?

The volume of my videos compared to many other well edited videos on YouTube is a lot quieter.

I can't increase the volume of each track higher than 12dB as that's the max. If I use the compressor tool in PD17 any higher the audio clips. It seems that when the production goes from PD17 edit to YouTube the overall volume of the video is reduced.

Latest video...compare my audio to another channel to see what I mean...

https://youtu.be/ZVuH_xdaDmo