Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video Format, Canon EOS 5D MK IV
Ulf Henriksen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2019 13:43 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Does anyone know if this version of Power Director supports Canon EOS 5D MK IV video formats? I recieve an error message when trying to import all my existing video clips from my Canon EOS 5D MK IV.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Does anyone know if this version of Power Director supports Canon EOS 5D MK IV video formats? I recieve an error message when trying to import all my existing video clips from my Canon EOS 5D MK IV.
Canon EOS cameras shoot .MOV movies.

PowerDirector will handle some MOV formats, you may have to install Qucktime lite to decode MOV formats.

Powerdirector 17 live does my Canon EOS T6 camera with no problem. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If Carl's suggestion of installing the free QuickTime Lite program doesn't work, please upload a short sample clip. If it's smaller than 5MB, you can attach it to your reply using this button:

Otherwise, upload it to cloud folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, DopBox, etc and paste the link here. Either way we can see the exact details of the codec and test it out with PD.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ulf Henriksen -

That error message is almost certainly the result of lack of QuickTime on your system, assuming they're .MOV files you're importing. The Canon 5D MkVI records in both .MOV & .MP4, depending on which mode you have selected. Reference

My PCs all have a version of QT (Lite or Full) installed, & I have no issue importing the sample files I have from that camera... BUT WAIT! I just uninstalled QT-Lite from one PC and both .MOVs & .MP4s imported perfectly. surprised Have to do a bit more digging there...

This thread doesn't discuss the same issue, but you may be interested as it's about the Canon 5D MkVI.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

You didn't say the actual format.
The full DCI 4K (4096x2160 with a 17:9 ratio) video on the 5D Mark IV is recorded in Motion JPEG at about 500 Mbps. It can’t record in an UHD 16x9 ratio, which is what most people think “4K” is. This MJPEG is "packaged" in a MOV file (container), but is not trully a MOV format.

This is a stupidly high bitrate (low compression rate), very few cards can record at that speed, they require minimum 100MB/s cards.

The HD format (1920x1080) can be "packaged" in both MOV and MP4 files. The difference is minimal, about the compression to the sound:
MOV: MPEG4 AVC/H.264*; Audio: Linear PCM
MP4: MPEG4 AVC/H.264*; Audio: AAC

For HD I would switch to MP4 format.

Source: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-5d-mark-iv

[Thumb - Canon_5D.PNG]
 Filename
Canon_5D.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
166 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Mar 10. 2019 04:43

Ulf Henriksen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2019 13:43 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have installed QT lite and nothing happend. Then this morning when I started my computer there was an update coming in and then it worked.
The only thing is taht the ''shadow'' function wont work. It comes with an message '' shadow file is broken'' everytime I try to use this function.

I have used a lot of different settings when shooting movie, 4K and HD, MOV and MP4. Most seems to be MOV files. Also all mye previous files are MOV files.

Thanks a lot for your help.

UH
Norway

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2019 12:14

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The only thing is taht the ''shadow'' function wont work. It comes with an message '' shadow file is broken'' everytime I try to use this function.

I'm glad you've managed to get things working better. For the shadow files issue, turn them off and try manually clearing the temporary files from the Preferences menu (gear icon). Then try changing the resolution of the shadow files and re-enable them.
[Post New]
Quote I have installed QT lite and nothing happend.

This is because, from that camera, the 4K .MOV is not really a QT format, it just uses the .MOV termination.
Uninstall QT, Windows variant it is a known security risk and is not updated by Apple anymore.
In future shoot HD in MP4.