Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi again -

Here's a little packed project you can download & explore.

It shows the way the videos & titles in the opening sequence have been masked. Hopefully, it will help you with what you're trying to do.

Cheers - Tony
Hi topcat53 -

It's a little bit complicated but that can be achieved with masking each clip & title screen so that only 1/3 is visible. Have you had a play with Mask Designer?

The elements are:

1. a title screen (graphic)

2. three short video clips (about 2 secs)

3. the main video

Your timeline would look something like:

When masking each of the clips & title screens, I used the standard rectangle mask & uncheck "Maintain Aspect Ratio".

That timeline, produced, looks like the video opening you linked:

Cheers - Tony
Hi tiko2 -

What's the aspect ratio for your project? 16:9? 360?

If it's 360, & you've selected your 360 video or a 360 photo, you'll need to switch to 16:9 to get into View Designer.

If you've selected a regular 16:9 clip or photo, View Designer would be greyed out anyway.

Cheers - Tony
I'm afraid I got a bit carried away making custom blend effects, but it may be of some interest.

Since these can't be shared via DirectorZone, I zipped up the ones I've made. You can download them here. Just drop the set of sub-folders into the BlendEffect folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates\PowerDirector Content Pack Premium 2\BlendEffect

Here's a short sampler. Each blend is set at 50% opacity. There's no way I'm suggesting this is an appropriate thing to do to The Great Escape!

Cheers - Tony
Quote So far as I know, PowerDirector does yet support the addition of hyperlinks to video productions

Phil is spot on here. Hyperlinks cannot be embedded in a video production.

On YouTube, you can add links but that may not be what you're after.

Cheers - Tony
Can't help you with that as I'm not an AE user. Whatever software was used must be able to generate animation... or the user may have used a combination of different software.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Barry -

I'm not sure whether you want to use Magic Motion or PiP Designer to do that.

It sounds like you've used the presets in Magic Motion and some of them aren't exactly what you want. If that's the case, just:

1. Select the photo you want to modify

2. Go back to Magic Motion

3. Select User Defined and set/change the keyframes so you get the motion you want.

Cheers - Tony
H Axwack -

As Carl suggests, you can build up layers of visuals in PDR by using different tracks for each layer.

The animated graphics you describe as a "PowerPoint like presentation" is the most challenging, but it's possible in PDR. As far as replicating that exact thing - the overlaid graph, animated over a blurred video - would involve many steps because PDR isn't set up to generate that sort of presentation instantly.

Some time back, I started working on a tutorial related to the question you've put. It didn't make it to the finished stage embarassed but if you look at this screen capture of some examples I shared at the time, you can see that it involves multiple layers masking.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Mr E -

You can, but not in PDR. Check out the suggestions here.

Cheers - Tony
Another interesting and well-assembled collection of good stuff for PDR users. Congratulations and thank you to all involved in publication, especially Adrian.

Even though I've spent lots of hours hacking into PDR's secret folders over the years, it had never occurred to me to mess with the Blend Effects folder... so thanks for the pointers on making customised blend effects available in PDR.

I followed the instructions in PDNews Issue 5 & was partially successful. They each showed up in PDR & worked as expected, except one.

As you can see "Light Leak 02" displays with no thumbnail & has no impact on the video when applied. I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to the error of my ways.

DOH! I just went to zip the folder to post here and realised the problem. It was an extra space in the file name in the XML file.

Oh well - my blunder may help anyone else is attempting this. I'll attach a couple I made.

Cheers - Tony
BVR is right, and maybe that's the issue here.

Once you insert an Adorage or Vitascene effect from either FX or Transitions, you need to click Modify > Standalone Effect to access everything and adjust it.

camhops360 - if you follow the steps shown in this screen capture, which parts are different? which parts are missing? which part's not working?

Cheers - Tony
Here's one thing I do, though you could just as well use masking.

Say I have a screen capture of a login page and I don't want viewers to see personal login details...

At that point in the screen capture, I take a snapshot of the screen & use that to create an overlay that covers/masks the part I don't want shown, by making the rest of the snapshot transparent (attached overlay).

Next I drop the overlay in a higher numbered track and adjust its position & duration (snapshot of timeline attached).

There are alternative ways to achieve the same thing e.g. applying a blur to the overlay or using duplicate vieos with masking, but for most of my purposes the overlay works fine.

Cheers - Tony
Hi daddymadethis1971 -

PDR hasn't changed that much in 12 months, or even longer.

To set up a controlled pan on a photo, you'd use either Magic Motion or PiP Designer. The panning speed will be set by (a) the photo duration & (b) the keyframes you set.

This was made using PDR10, & it's still done pretty much the same way in current versions.

Robert - for some reason I can't get to that link you posted. It keeps timing out.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Shore Patrol -

I've done that thing you're doing many times - masking out personal details in screen captures - & I've never even considered using Motion Tracker for that purpose.

Are the things you're trying to cover up seriously moving that much, throughout the video? or do they appear briefly and remain fairly static?

To answer your actual question: If you mean can you increase the % view in the Motion Tracker preview, No.

I think you might be using the wrong tool for your purposes. Could you upload a short sample of the capture you're trying to edit? That would give members a clearer idea.

Cheers - Tony
This will be about as much help as an ashtray on a motorbike, but... I had just the same issue on one PC with PDR13.

Whatever I did, or whatever advice I followed from others, made zero difference. It remained a mystery for a long time. That PC no longer has PDR13 installed!

Sorry - I knew my post would be useless to you - except to know that it happens.

Under you Preview window, does the speaker icon have a cross-out? That's what mine used to do, involuntarily!

Cheers - Tony
Hi Artemis123 -

There is indeed a standard transition called "Slide Spin Horizontal", listed in Transitions under the "Stripe" tag (and "All" of course).

I've never heard of a transition disappearing like that! surprised

I don't mean to doubt your word, but what happens if you close PDR15 then re-open your project? Is it still gone? How many transitions are listed under the "Stripe" tag? There are 4 here.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Rob -

Sounds like you've been brushing up on Aussie bush vernacular! or are "Crikey" & "Stone the Crows" midlands-speak too?

Absolutely BR burning would be superior to DVD. Even better, unless a disc is required, is to produced your slideshow to 1920x1080, pop it on a USB drive & play it directly on your HD TV. That's what I do, though I produce to 3840x2160 because my source material is generally UHD or better.

A couple of years back, I (along with forum member, Nina) did some pretty extensive testing with downscaling higher resolution images. Many photo editors were compared for PQ, along with allowing PDR to downscale in production. Even though I was certain that resizing in Photoshop (or similar) would yield a better result than letting PDR do it, I wasn't able to conclude that after weeks of playing with it. My conclusion was that it made very little difference to the final output.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Bill -

In PDR (at least), the number of variations available for a particular SmartSound track is dependant on the duration you've set. Here's an example

I don't use the Roxio app you mentioned, but I suspect that the same would apply. Try setting the same duration in both apps & see if you get the same number of variations.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Rob -

It's probably not a simple answer, but it's an age-old question.

Your Sony A6000 is 24MP, so your photos start out at 6000x4000. They're being downscaled severely, even if you produce to UHD - 3840x2160... even more when you produce to 1920x1080 or burn to BR... and extremely when you produce or burn to DVD standard.

The original sized image above is attached.

So - you're scaling them down in production/burning & the player has to upscale them for your TV. You'd just never expect DVD standard to look good! It's a terrible thing (I think) to do to your "sharp as a new pin" photos.

Just for comparison, here are 3 slide shows (zipped) made using original images from an A6000. 1. produced to UHD 2. produced to FHD 3. produced to DVD standard.

All that said, you should get quite a decent result out of 1080p production or BR burning.

Cheers - Tony
That's because I hid it down here embarassed
Hi Jeam -

It's quite impossible to burn a DVD without losing quality, unless your original MP4 is standard definition (not HD) or you burn an AVCHD DVD (which requires a BR player).

If your souce MP4 is 1920x1080, you'd be able to burn a BR disc without sacrificing too much.

I rarely burn discs, preferring to play the videos directly to my 4K TV or monitor, via USB stick or external hard drive.

Cheers - Tony
Go to: