Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hello everyone in the world, I'm having trouble with slideshows, probably a simple answer...........
Stig Of The Dump
Newbie Location: Derbyshire, UK. Joined: Oct 29, 2015 16:15 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
....but I do not know for the life of me what is happening.

I put all my edited pictures on the timeline that have been adited in Lightroom 5.7

Pictures are from a Sony A6000 and are as sharp as a new pin.

I then go to CREATE DISC.

Click DVD VIDEO, 2D, AVCHD, BEST QUALITY, MPEG 2 and then burn.

Playback through a normal DVD player and the pictures are pixelate and not sharp at all, playing through a Blue Ray the results are the same, terrible.

Tried it through a Panasonic TV and my Mums very expensive Sony TV also through a normal DVD player and also a Blue Ray player and I get the same result, aweful.

I've burnt in every format and size and all the results are the same, terrible.

I must be doing something wrong somehwere but I do not know where.

Can anyone help me please and huge thanks in advance.

Thank you and peace to you all.

Rob
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The standard dvd resolution is 720 x 576/50i. You need to produce the slideshow to 4k or uhd resolution like 3840 x 2160/25p mp4 to a usb flash drive to see it much sharper on your 4k tv.
Stig Of The Dump
[Post New]
Quote The standard dvd resolution is 720 x 576/50i. You need to produce the slideshow to 4k or uhd resolution like 3840 x 2160/25p mp4 to a usb flash drive to see it much sharper on your 4k tv.

Thank you for the quick response Tom but the TVs are not 4k but just normal HD and played either through a normal DVD player or a Blue Ray player, if I save it and plug the PC into the TV the quality is bang on and pin sharp, onlt after burning to DVD the quality drop big time terrible, I don't understand.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob -

It's probably not a simple answer, but it's an age-old question.

Your Sony A6000 is 24MP, so your photos start out at 6000x4000. They're being downscaled severely, even if you produce to UHD - 3840x2160... even more when you produce to 1920x1080 or burn to BR... and extremely when you produce or burn to DVD standard.

The original sized image above is attached.

So - you're scaling them down in production/burning & the player has to upscale them for your TV. You'd just never expect DVD standard to look good! It's a terrible thing (I think) to do to your "sharp as a new pin" photos.

Just for comparison, here are 3 slide shows (zipped) made using original images from an A6000. 1. produced to UHD 2. produced to FHD 3. produced to DVD standard.

All that said, you should get quite a decent result out of 1080p production or BR burning.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - A6000 Image Resolution.jpg]
 Filename
A6000 Image Resolution.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10294 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Stig Of The Dump
[Post New]
First of all I'd like to thank you very much for taking the trouble and the time to reply to my problem and my word it's a problem.

Crikey this digital world is a pain in the bum mate it really is.

From what I can gather from your answer the computer when rendering squezzes the living day lights of a big images, burns them to a DVD and the the player blows them up again and buggers them up, arghhhhhh.

So would it be better to make the images smaller before burning to a DVD if that makes sense or........................

........would it be better to buy a Blue Ray burner and leave the images as taken straight out the camera and burn to 1080p 2 mts.

Stone the crows this is doing my flipping head in mate it really is.

Many thanks once again Tony.

Rob
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob -

Sounds like you've been brushing up on Aussie bush vernacular! or are "Crikey" & "Stone the Crows" midlands-speak too?

Absolutely BR burning would be superior to DVD. Even better, unless a disc is required, is to produced your slideshow to 1920x1080, pop it on a USB drive & play it directly on your HD TV. That's what I do, though I produce to 3840x2160 because my source material is generally UHD or better.

A couple of years back, I (along with forum member, Nina) did some pretty extensive testing with downscaling higher resolution images. Many photo editors were compared for PQ, along with allowing PDR to downscale in production. Even though I was certain that resizing in Photoshop (or similar) would yield a better result than letting PDR do it, I wasn't able to conclude that after weeks of playing with it. My conclusion was that it made very little difference to the final output.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Stig Of The Dump
[Post New]
Quote Hi Rob -

Sounds like you've been brushing up on Aussie bush vernacular! or are "Crikey" & "Stone the Crows" midlands-speak too?

I reckon Aussie and Brit lingo is pretty similar mate. Here's another for you.

Her hair(use anything here) is as long as a yard of pump water.

Absolutely BR burning would be superior to DVD. Even better, unless a disc is required, is to produced your slideshow to 1920x1080, pop it on a USB drive & play it directly on your HD TV. That's what I do, though I produce to 3840x2160 because my source material is generally UHD or better.

I knew this was going to be the case, I knew it, I flippin' well knew it, I must have burnt 3 million DVD discs in the last couple of week, incat Verbatin have had to build a new factory just to make blank discs, just for me.embarassed

A couple of years back, I (along with forum member, Nina) did some pretty extensive testing with downscaling higher resolution images. Many photo editors were compared for PQ, along with allowing PDR to downscale in production. Even though I was certain that resizing in Photoshop (or similar) would yield a better result than letting PDR do it, I wasn't able to conclude that after weeks of playing with it. My conclusion was that it made very little difference to the final output.

Would you and Nina like to buy some Verbatin shares as I have some for sale now.coolcool

Cheers - Tony

My utmost appologies for not getting back to you sooner, I went away for a couple of weeks and then I spent 14 years trying to find my original post, I hate it when people don't reply and I'm very sorry for that me old cock sparrow.

Amazing in this modern world that your pictures get squashed so you can stuff them on a plastic disc for a crappy slideshow but you can burn an image to a CD and have it printed with no loss of quality as big as the house, crazy ole world Tony.

Righto, I'm off to the shops to buy a memory stick, no doubt it will be 18 feet long which will mean I will have to sell the car and buy a lorry to get it home, then knock the outside wall out of my house to get it inside, re-enforse the computer desk with scaffold poles, get it all set up to find out they have changed the USB socket to the new 4kUHD Mark 4, which means I'll have to knock the house wall out again, get my lorry out and go and buy the new version for $18,000 + tax @ 25%. Take it home, set it up again, re-build the wall, then some company will bring out a new programme which will allow you to burn full UHD slideshows on a C90 Cassette tape for 30 pennys.

Thank you for the help Tony, the worlds gone jockin' mad mate.

Yours most lovingly and a big tonguey kiss.

Rob

Xxx.

Hope my Mrs never sees this. laughinglaughing