Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SmartSound with PowerDirector 14
dustyknobs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2016 19:09 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Nube here with PD. Came from Vegas... Sony, that is, not Las.

I have owned SmartSound for a few years, so I had some preassumptions about how SS would interface with PD. I've only played with it for a short period, but I think I have figured out that the capabilites within PD's interaction with SS are limited to basically the selection of songs to bring into a sound track.

Am I correct in that assumption?

In other words, if I am correct, then all the scoring power that is possible in the SonicFire Pro application is still only done in there.

It's okay if that is true. It's what I used to have to do with Vegas anyway. I'd get the video to where I was happy, then move it to SonicFire and do the formal score there. Then I would go back to Vegas and import the score and render the audio video together.

So I just want to be sure I am not missing something like the nube bonehead I feel right now.

Another question: Curiously, when I go into the Magic Music window and bring up my songs. it shows the ones I own, as it should. But what is puzzling is that it acutally shows MORE variations of some songs than are represented in my Sonicfire track tool.

For instance, I have a song that in the SS Sonicfire application indicates there are 5 variations. Whereas, in Magic Music window, the same song shows 2 more variations.

I have not been through every song I have to see how many have a similar result, so I don't know how widespread it is. Just thought I would quickly ask if anyone else noticed that.

Thanks in advance for input.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi dustyknobs -

Your assumptions are correct. When you're using SmartSound music in PDR (only), you can make track/variant selections and set duration.

If you want to do any remixing or modifications, you need to use SonicFire Pro or SmartSound Express Track. Just as you've been used to with Vegas.

The number of variants available for each track depends completely on the duration/length you've set. The same thing applies in PDR or SFP or Express Track.

e.g. Select the track: "Julie's Place" in PDR, SFP or ET

► Duration set to 30 secs = 3 variants, 45 secs = 4 variants, 1 min = 6 variants, 2 min = 7 variants

The difference you're seeing is probably because you have the duration set differently in each.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
dustyknobs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Tony...

I knew I would learn something if I asked. In the time I have spent futzing about with SonicFire, I never even noticed I get different variations depending on the length I set on the track. I guess by the time I am working in it, my video length is already determined, so I just get what I get.

I love it when I learn something new.

And on that note, might I say I feel like a kid who opened a box of Cracker Jacks and just found the Secret Decoder Ring... (you might need to be pretty old to understand that thrill as a kid)

Your signature with "Linked Tutorial Catalog" is a gold mine!

Thanks again,

Bill
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
You might check these out as well. I find them somewhat easier to follow, but these and PDToots are all helpful. Welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/user/vigor2001/videos Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
dustyknobs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow! Another great source to bookmark.

I feel myself getting smarter already...

Thank you, Dan!