Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
It's just a patch / update.

It will install over the existing without you having to do anything except click the install button.

*Note it is a good habit to always create a System Restore point before installing any updates- this way if you have any issues you can restore you system back to the previous state before the new install.

Rob
Quote:

Maybe I read too much into your combined statement above, maybe you intended to simply mean that the lowly Intel GPU can be used to edit projects. You can also produce the projects with SVRT if you want to.

Jeff

Jeff,

This is exactly what I was trying to say
You summed it up nicely.

Rob
Jeff,

"PD SVRT simply does not encode any footage when input and output formats are close enough, hence no GPU, integrated or standalone is even utilized. It's essentially a direct read/write operation which for PD the GPU does not perform. "
-----------------------------

Agreed- not all footage need to be rendered. As shown in the video using the SVRT checking option. Those Red / Green bars really help to visualize what needs to be rendered.

Now when I say "decent" I don't mean it will replace a dedicated graphics card. But if all you have access to is the built in iCore HD4000+ and HD5000+ GPU (and some HD3000+) then you are still able to Produce an SVRT / Hardware accelerated video.

There are a few threads about the SVRT & Hardware acceleration usage and lack thereof- that show quantifiable findings and specs.

The over riding basic conclusion, was that it is only a limited part of video rendering. The CPU is still the one that does the majority of the work. I don't have those links handy, they are in the PD 11 forums. If I find them I will update this thread.

I can verify on a prolonged trip I used the built in Intel HD4000 in my laptop and it worked.
Not the fastest but it did what it was supposed to do with the clips I wanted to Produce.

If the above video- I physically disconnected my Nvidia card to force the Intel HD4000 alone to render, otherwise I would not be able to select some of the Produce SVRT / Hardware acceleration options since they would be locked out and not supported.

Rob
The only way you can find out for sure, if this or any update / patch will work with your system is: if you actually install it on your own machine with it's own unique system configuration.

It works fine for the majority of people. Others have system conflicts.
My system build is more involved than most others and this patch still works fine for me.

Rob

Here are the Official roundup of Intro / Tutorial videos. Have a look and decide:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29795.page

I am watching them right now to learn about the new things added in PD 12.

Rob
Quote:

[...] I was thinking the easiest way to do this would be to split the files, get rid of the part of the scene i didnt want, and then drop the clips into a folder or tag under the players name using the 'tag' function. To this point, i have been having a lot of trouble with this seemingly simple task.

Hi,

Others might have a different more efficient way of doing this- but here is my take on the matter:

I don't think PD allows sub groups after the scene detect splits or the other things you are trying to do. (I could be in error on this though.)

After you scene detect and set you Spit points you can name the newly split files. And then drag each clip to the timeline then Produce to something like "Game1Aug201XPlayerX" or whatever makes sense to you.

Then go back the Edit screen rinse and repeat for other clips. You can now drag the Produced video files into their own folders for further categorization.

Drag the produced clips back to a New blank project timeline and create a Highlight Reel.

You can even have several clips from the same 2 hour video strung together then use that in a master Highlight later on.

just my take on the matter,

Rob
But but ... this looks so shiny and so pretty... !!!

Drool worthy.
re: Histogram in Color Director 2

Brand spanking new requested in the Color Director forum by various users (they listened !)

Yes definitely going in the right direction.
And now some of the basic color presets are included without having to leave PD 12 .. neato.

R
Dafydd,

I never thought about a multicam feature- but I have multi-cam / angle recordings and this will certainly make things easier to edit especially being able to more precisely sync sound. So I can't wait to play with this feature. And with any new feature I fully expect to break it and find the quirks and flaws ... I am just that type of guy. ha

Eugen,

That would be a neat feature re: find scene in album - again never thought about it- but definitely useful.

Rob
Very interesting challenge indeed- I never thought about doing this- but there is so much goodness that can be done playing with this idea.

Now it's got me thinking about using my picture editor to slightly change the pic colors / tint, cutting them out, making them into a .png with transparent background. Then importing them into PD, adding borders and a shadow to give it that 3D floating look. (This can be done in the photo editor before hand also.)

Then dropping them to the timeline and using some magical timing / transitions and keyframes to have them "pop-up" with scrolling moving text boxes showing info. In this case info about real estate population density, border lines etc.

Create the overall packed template project and then use this for future pop-up / tilt projects.

Neato.

(Btw- I do not mean to discourage the OP, you can do this the simple way or add more complexity as needed.)

Rob

Just curious check the following on your systems:

After you have installed Power Director 12 and try to open it-

Go to your Task Manager and make sure one or both
Rich Video Module (32bit) & Rich Video Modules are running.
They also known as RichVideo & RichVideo64 service and also show up as
Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) & Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS) - which can get confusing, but they just different names of the same two services: a 32 bit and a 64 bit Rich Video.exe

Also go to Msconfig and make sure they have not been disabled for some reason.

Rob
Generally when upgrading: it is always best to keep the previous version installed. Some programs will ask you if you want to keep the old version when upgrading. (I find PD doesn't do this so you can have the older version still installed alongside the new version.)

Cyberlink differs in that the trial version cannot be made into a full version. (I thought it could- but you have to d/l and keep the full version as well as upgrade versions just to be safe. And always make sure to register within a couple weeks ! Otherwise you might have issues.)

Once you are a registered user then you can uninstall and re-install whenever.

I had to re-do my main drive a few months ago... and had to figure out the above real fast in order to get my CL prgms working again.

R
Hi,

I always see people with issues who have tried to install the main PD prgm on drives other than the main C drive.
As a fix you can try what you suggest- copy the directory from old to new drive.

I have my main PD installed on C and then use my D as a save / project drive backed up later onto onto drives.
If you haven't already seen this tutorial about Packing and saving your projects have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

The above tutorial will eliminate the missing files / clips / pictures etc. in the future. As long as you keep every thing in its own self tilted Packed Project Directory.

If the copy / paste C drive directory does not work for you then you might have to manually find each missing piece and point PD to them.

Rob
Interesting...

The only times this has happens to me is if I make two splits and then delete the unwanted middle section and drop a transition between the newly created clips. Somehow a few frames is left over after the transition and this causes the flashing.

So I always expand the timeline after I make a split/delete and insert a transition to look for any left over frames that can cause this behaviour.

R
You still have both your drives installed?

Then you can also just relabel the drive from H back to L

I am using Windows 8 but very similar procedure for Win. 7 (Do a search for Disk Management or Computer Management)

For Win 8
Right Click lower left screen corner
Click Disk Management (or Computer Management)

Now select your H drive
Right Click to bring up the "Change Drive Letter and Paths" option.
Click the "Change" tab at the bottom of window
Go ahead and select the letter L and click Ok

Rob

Leave 11 installed for now.
Purchase and then download the 12 upgrade and install using the key/serial CL gives to you.

After you verify everything works as it should, then you can go ahead and uninstall previous version.

R
The best thing I have found is to save multiple Template .pds project files you can use in the future.

It's the same as when you save any final work edit project you have done, except it's an outline or template you want to use in the future for other projects.

Click File>Save Project As

Now enter your location and title- for example "Four Square PIP"
It will be saved as Four Square PIP.pds

You can now open this and add / delete to your hearts content.

For future reference I strongly suggest you have a look at this Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

more can be found here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29377.page

Rob
Ignore it.

You can go to preferences>confirmation
Uncheck "always prompt me when TV formats conflict."
To turn that message off.

No degradation- if what you put in is decent quality then what you get out should be decent quality.

Always Produce / render and do an A /B comparison for yourself to get the best quality output that pleases you.

R
@Szabolcs,

The lowly Intel GPU, especially in the newer iCore chips is really a decent performer when used with SVRT.
I would like to see more options available for the nVidia GPU in future versions of PD.

You can never have enough CPU cores I say... as long as the software actually makes use of it that is.
Which would be nice. I prefer straight CPU usage myself since I actually do not use SVRT when Producing.
(Yes I know the irony is too funny.)

@surfsup1955,

System Restore to the rescue! Good it fixed your issue.

Rob
Just an addition to the above fix for Essentials 4 (IV)
Here is my work around to keep things organized and not drive me crazy.

If you haven't already done so then you can:

Create your own folders and drag the appropriate plugin effects from the "Visual" folder into it.
Here is an example showing the NewBue Essentials package 5.

Rob
Curious,

How are you copying your LPs ?
What setup / hardware / software are you using?

I used to dabble in burning all manner of CDRs and DVDRs for archival backups.

ISO, vob, bin & cue ... and so on.

I find that it really depends on what you are going to be re-playing the music CD on.

If you want to throw your CD into a player and have it play as a normal music disc you need to rip the music files and burn them to a specific format. If you are just ripping to mp3 then you can just burn them to a CD and play them back on your computer or modern player that can read mp3 music files. (You can even transfer them to a USB key drive which is much more portable.)

For archival backup and good sound quality forget mp3 and go with .WAV or even .FLAC format.
These formats are lossless- mp3 is lossy, you will be missing sound quality.

Btw- commercial Audio / Music CDs are burnt specifically to play in stand alone CD players.
You need to test to make sure that your blank CDRs can be played in whatever player you are going to be playing them on. Some blank CDs work great in some players, some won't.

You also need a decent Audio CD burning prgm if you want to burn your music files to a CD to play in a standalone player. There are free ones out there that do a good job.

R
Go to: