Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CD info
Rasco [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2011 20:03 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
What is the difference between regular CDs and those labeled 'Music' or 'Audio'.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I did a search and the difference is that music or audio CD store the information as a music format Mp3 , wav extension etc and usually have a track reference rather than a folder reference, regular cd store as data.
ant way that is what I can gather from my search.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Rasco [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the fast reply. I am putting some of my old LP's on CD's and I assume the 'music/audio' discs give better sound quality.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
This is a complex subject and I am sure some one more familiar than I will elaborate more. The method of transfer from your collection to the New format will depend a lot on the encoders you will use, from what I understand. Don't forget that the records will have some background noise and some quality issues (due to the source material click, hisses etc that records make).
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Hello Rasco,

The most common form of the CD is the audio/music CD so, to me, that's a "regular" CD. That is, it plays music in a compatible player (CD, DVD, BR).

CDs can also be used to store data, photos, video, and music in formats like WAV or MP3 - these are generally formatted & accessed on a PC.

Perhaps you're referring to blank CDs (belated AHA moment). The are some blank CDs specifically labelled "Audio". These are audio only. They are required when you use a standalone CD burner. I've just recalled I have such a beast, though it's rarely used any more (!)

Without getting into too much technical information, does that help to clarify?

Ah - Jim has shot in a response while I was writing. Thank you Jim.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Rasco [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

It would probably help if you knew what I am doing.

I am putting my LP collection on CDs. I see that some blank CDs are labeled
'Music', some 'Audio' and others not labeled at all.

Also I am using the white printable CDs. How do these compare with the silver printable CDs.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Curious,

How are you copying your LPs ?
What setup / hardware / software are you using?

I used to dabble in burning all manner of CDRs and DVDRs for archival backups.

ISO, vob, bin & cue ... and so on.

I find that it really depends on what you are going to be re-playing the music CD on.

If you want to throw your CD into a player and have it play as a normal music disc you need to rip the music files and burn them to a specific format. If you are just ripping to mp3 then you can just burn them to a CD and play them back on your computer or modern player that can read mp3 music files. (You can even transfer them to a USB key drive which is much more portable.)

For archival backup and good sound quality forget mp3 and go with .WAV or even .FLAC format.
These formats are lossless- mp3 is lossy, you will be missing sound quality.

Btw- commercial Audio / Music CDs are burnt specifically to play in stand alone CD players.
You need to test to make sure that your blank CDRs can be played in whatever player you are going to be playing them on. Some blank CDs work great in some players, some won't.

You also need a decent Audio CD burning prgm if you want to burn your music files to a CD to play in a standalone player. There are free ones out there that do a good job.

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Are you talking about the actual media, or the format of its content?

When burning CDs first became possible, there were two distinct ways to do it: with a dedicated disk writers, or with a computer. The assumption was that the dedicated copiers would be used for music, and that computers would be used for data.

The RIAA (an industry group) and music publishers were afraid that people would copy their music, therefore depriving them of revenue. In order to make that a little less painful, it was decreed that there would be two types of media: audio CDs and data CDs. The audio CDs were priced a little higher, and the vigorish was supposed to compensate the music publishers for lost royalties. The stand-alone disk writers would only use the music CD media, and would reject the rest.

I don't know if computer drives were ever picky about which kind of media they used, but I doubt it. I'm a little surprised that you can still buy music CDs. Jerry Schwartz
Rasco [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies.

I have been using ROXIO to make the CDs of my old LPs. If there is too much noise I can clean them up.

I was curious as to what the physical difference is between CDs labeled 'audio/music' or those with no label. It is getting harder to find the 'audio/music' discs.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the replies.

I have been using ROXIO to make the CDs of my old LPs. If there is too much noise I can clean them up.

I was curious as to what the physical difference is between CDs labeled 'audio/music' or those with no label. It is getting harder to find the 'audio/music' discs.

Now you know.

Use the regular ones. Jerry Schwartz