Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Understanding - SVRT Fast Video Rendering Technology & Hardware Acceleration
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
(Click on the "YouTube" logo in the lower right to watch in full screen.)
----------------

Here is a brief look at enabling Hardware Acceleration in Powder Director, as well as a look at the Fast Video Rendering technology.

1.) Hardware Acceleration, which is enabled in the Preferences menu, allows Power Director to utilize your Nvidia, AMD & Intel graphics cards to Speed up Video effect Render / Preview. See this link for more detailed info: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12777&prodId=4

2.) The Fast Rendering Video Technology, located in the Produce Screen,
includes both: SVRT- Smart Video Rendering Technology and Hardware Video Encoder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Not all video clips and formats can use the Fast Video Rendering Technology !*
It also depends on your installed Graphics Card in your computer see below:
----------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­---------

For Nvidia the following is currently supported:

AVC H.264
MPEG-4
MKV

For Intel the following is currently supported:

MPEG-2
AVC H.264
MPEG-4
MKV

For AMD the following is currently supported:

MPEG-2
AVC H.264
WMV
MPEG-4
MKV

Rob

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Feb 28. 2014 22:27

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I am be wrong, but I believe the supported formats actually depends on your graphics card for hardware encoding. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very good point Jaime- I need to update the video to show this.

Intel has MPEG-2 showing as an option- noted above.

Can someone with an AMD card have a look at their Fast video render options and let me know what they find thanks.

Rob
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
PD 11, AMD/ATI Video Card: Catalyst 12.1 driver

Fast video rendering available on 1920x1080 formats:
WMV, MPEG2, AVC H.264, MKV and MP4.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25. 2013 10:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl- really appreciate it.

Rob
Szabolcs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2013 16:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I'm a newbie here.

I'm working with 1080p50 24MBps footage and producing 1080p25 16MBps MKVs.

I bought PD11 a couple of months ago when I had a Core-i5 machine with 8GB RAM and an nVidia GT520MX. I could reach Production times 3x-4x of playback time.
To my surprise it seemed that the production performance was higher with the Intel Graphics than with the dedicated GPU.

Recently I have replaced my machine with a Core-i7, 8GB RAM, GT640M one.
The production times decreased dramatically, they are now about the same as the playback time, using 25% of the CPU (nVidia is switched off). As I see it now, production with the Intel Graphics is still quicker than with nVidia GPU.

The question is now if PD11 could use more CPU in exchange for even quicker production? I wouldn't mind sacrificing another 25-50% to double the production speed.
Unfortunately simply increasing the priority of the process didn't help much.

Thank You for Your advice in advance.

surfsup1955 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2013 16:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all, sorry for this problem being my very first post here but I am in a bind with PD11 over this very discussion & settings.

Looking through all the preferences of my new software, I selected the 'OpenCL technology' option and immediately PD11 locked up. I had to kill the app via Task Manager. Now the program will not start... it executes and immediately shut itself down. Very strange!

So far I have removed and reinstalled the program 3 times using various methods - to include using CLCleaner2-PowerDirector_11.0.exe, running CCleaner to clear the registries, verifying all folders were removed, etc - nothing works?

I am (or was) running PD11 on a Samsung series 7, i7 2.2Ghz, 8Gb RAM, with AMD Radeon HD6490 graphics.

I was actually having a lot of fun building a nice project and still have that PDS file in tact - hoping to finish it!?

Any help would be great = I do plan to get with the technical folks tomorrow to try and resolve or at least get a refund (this being day 1 of my purchase)

thx all/ Alex

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 19:40

surfsup1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
fixed... performed a System Restore and reloaded everything.
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
@Szabolcs,

The lowly Intel GPU, especially in the newer iCore chips is really a decent performer when used with SVRT.
I would like to see more options available for the nVidia GPU in future versions of PD.

You can never have enough CPU cores I say... as long as the software actually makes use of it that is.
Which would be nice. I prefer straight CPU usage myself since I actually do not use SVRT when Producing.
(Yes I know the irony is too funny.)

@surfsup1955,

System Restore to the rescue! Good it fixed your issue.

Rob
surfsup1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
yep, that is certainly one feature I like about current Windows OS.

So then.. I shall now refrain from using the CL function and issue a warning for others who might dare to try it... create your current restore point first!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2013 09:54

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The lowly Intel GPU, especially in the newer iCore chips is really a decent performer when used with SVRT.
I would like to see more options available for the nVidia GPU in future versions of PD.

You can never have enough CPU cores I say... as long as the software actually makes use of it that is.
Which would be nice. I prefer straight CPU usage myself since I actually do not use SVRT when Producing.
(Yes I know the irony is too funny.)

Rob, can you share some data that shows the Intel GPU being a decent performer in a PD SVRT output setting as stated? PD SVRT simply does not encode any footage when input and output formats are close enough, hence no GPU, integrated or standalone is even utilized. It's essentially a direct read/write operation which for PD the GPU does not perform.

Quote: SVRT (Smart Video Rendering Technology) is a proprietary rendering technology
from CyberLink that recognizes which portions of a movie clip were modified (and
therefore require rendering during production), and which portions of a movie
clip were not changed (and thus can be skipped over during the rendering
process).

Please post a timeline which is 100% SVRT compatible and show some results that when using CL "Fast video rendering technology:" with "SVRT" selected in the "Produce" tab that the Intel GPU is really a decent performer. Since you have a Nvidia card, disable the Intel GPU and show the speed changes. It is too funny, and this old dog wants to learn these new tricks on how a Intel GPU helps SVRT.

Jeff
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff,

"PD SVRT simply does not encode any footage when input and output formats are close enough, hence no GPU, integrated or standalone is even utilized. It's essentially a direct read/write operation which for PD the GPU does not perform. "
-----------------------------

Agreed- not all footage need to be rendered. As shown in the video using the SVRT checking option. Those Red / Green bars really help to visualize what needs to be rendered.

Now when I say "decent" I don't mean it will replace a dedicated graphics card. But if all you have access to is the built in iCore HD4000+ and HD5000+ GPU (and some HD3000+) then you are still able to Produce an SVRT / Hardware accelerated video.

There are a few threads about the SVRT & Hardware acceleration usage and lack thereof- that show quantifiable findings and specs.

The over riding basic conclusion, was that it is only a limited part of video rendering. The CPU is still the one that does the majority of the work. I don't have those links handy, they are in the PD 11 forums. If I find them I will update this thread.

I can verify on a prolonged trip I used the built in Intel HD4000 in my laptop and it worked.
Not the fastest but it did what it was supposed to do with the clips I wanted to Produce.

If the above video- I physically disconnected my Nvidia card to force the Intel HD4000 alone to render, otherwise I would not be able to select some of the Produce SVRT / Hardware acceleration options since they would be locked out and not supported.

Rob
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I can verify on a prolonged trip I used the built in Intel HD4000 in my laptop and it worked.
Not the fastest but it did what it was supposed to do with the clips I wanted to Produce.

Rob, I didn't question the ability of the integral Intel HD4000 to edit some project, it can also produce some formats extremely fast too. The statement was made,

Quote: The lowly Intel GPU, especially in the newer iCore chips is really a decent performer when used with SVRT.

and I was looking to learn how the integral GPU was decent when used with SVRT.

My point was, if SVRT is used to produce, the GPU does not play any role for any part of the timeline. The integral GPU performance is independent and not related to SVRT feature used during produce. In fact, timeline areas that need encoding, PD uses CPU encoding, regardless if one has a integral and standalone GPU when SVRT is ticked. One could have a very low tech card and the same CPU and the performance of SVRT would be the same to produce your project, the only time SVRT is used. Editing experience affected by GPU, but not SVRT performance.

Maybe I read too much into your combined statement above, maybe you intended to simply mean that the lowly Intel GPU can be used to edit projects. You can also produce the projects with SVRT if you want to.

Jeff
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Maybe I read too much into your combined statement above, maybe you intended to simply mean that the lowly Intel GPU can be used to edit projects. You can also produce the projects with SVRT if you want to.

Jeff

Jeff,

This is exactly what I was trying to say
You summed it up nicely.

Rob
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I stopped using SVRT since I get occasional glitches when a transition is used. This unfortunate problem has been reproduced by others.

The format I use is AVCHD 1920x1080 60P. On Jmon's advice I now render everything and am amazed about the high Picture quality obtained. Must be a hell of an encoder. I also attribute the high re-encoded PQ to the use of 60P and higher 28Mb bit rate.

Wonder if that has been addressed in PD12?

Eugene

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 11. 2013 15:32

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Wonder if that has been addressed in PD12?

Eugene

It's different, but in my opinion, not correct. I see a lot of the same issues reported since like PD9, sound spikes, dead spots.... just not what it should be.

For just one example, shown in the pic is a simple 400hz constant amplitude sound recorded with a Canon HF G10, 24Mbps. A constant audio gain transition is applied and produced using "Intelligent SVRT" profile. Leading into the transition it looks like PD12 has improved vs PD11, not much of a dead spot, leaving the transition, it appears consistent with PD11, a dead spot. When CPU encoded, no dead spots either leading into a transition or existing.

I really wish some version would simply focus on correcting the many faults rather than thinking of the next "Effect icon" and minor tweaks to UI to give the feeling of "improved".

SVRT could be a big boost, however, for me it's still CPU encoding for any final production.

Jeff
[Thumb - SVRT Audio.png]
 Filename
SVRT Audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
542 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
349 time(s)
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Jeff.
Well that is very disappointing but familiar like the 60P audio problem first noticed in PD9. Fortunately that problem has a fix created by CMONE.

The consoling item is that their CPU encoder is first class and produces excellent PQ.
So some time ago, I too started re-encoding and the time penalty is acceptable.

Thanks for the info.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
Eugen157
[Post New]
Jeff you might consider sending that picture plus some explanation to costumer service. It ought to be readily understood by them.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff you might consider sending that picture plus some explanation to costumer service. It ought to be readily understood by them.

Eugene

Eugene, a fairly complete look at SVRT and audio issues, at least with PD on my system, was provided in this thread http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20483.page in the attached PD10 Audio.pdf file.

Many here associated with CL in one form or another and as CL states these individuals have direct access to CL staff. CL has the info to verify if issue is present and make improvements if desired, detailed information was provided. As I indicated, it looks like they made some changes in PD12, obviously version history shows it's not a priority item for them.

Jeff