Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD appears to be buffering keystrocks because, at some point, things appear to freeze up, by which I mean there is still activety on the screen but nothing is happening from keyboard input. Like, when I hit the spacebar, thinking the screen action will stop, but it doesn't.

So I wait, and do nothing, and then, apparent, bufferig catches up and stops and, if the video is still playing at this point the space bar stops it.

This happens when I hold the period or the coma, to fast forward.

speaking of FF I seem to remember hearing that Ctrl-F was FF but that's not working for me.
I'm not sure why I get a Ping every time I hit the period and coma key. It's like a Chinese Water Torture.
I'm guessing it has something to do with graphics but why, when i'm only stepping from frame to frame.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I haven't been able to find any graphic setting in PD, but maybe I didn't look in the right place
Thanks Fenman, great comments!

Quote: Hi Michael,

I can't give you chapter and verse on the comparison but for what it's worth I tried out Premiere Elements in the hope of finding a better DVD/Blu-ray authoring experience.
I haven't tried to do this, yet, but I'm sure that one day I will want to. At this point my greatest, publish, concern is the size of my files. The, "extinct" wmv format produces the smallest files but tend to act up down the line. I've created many wmv formated clips and put the on the SD card of my tablet. Recently 2 of them stopped working and PrE wouldn't let me import them again for editing. I had to go to a converting program, convert them to mp4, load them back into PrE elements and republish them as wmv files. I now keep a backup mp4 copy of all my wmv files.

switched back to Power Director.
That's the sort of thing I'm interested in hearing. Did you start with PrE?

I've even considered mortgaging my house and buying the full version of Premiere but in addition to the cost, which is hard to justify for the amount of work I do, I also fear the horrendous learning curve.

I feel exactly the same way, and have told Adobe as much! If my only option was to "rent" Pr Pro I'd switch in a heartbeat!

I suspect that Pr Pro may have the edge on PD but since, like you, I don't intend to morgage my home, I've gone with PrE. I'm thinking that it's only logical that PD would have the edge on Elements simlysimply because Elements is a stripped down version of the Pro version, and PD is a "full version".

This wasn't anything to do with the learning curve -

Would you say PD has a lower learning curve? Is it more intuitive, or more reational?

the design of GUI very poorly thought out. Things like pop-up menus obscuring the timeline and a very strange approach to handling transitions with clips being extended by the repetition of frozen frames for dissolves are two that come to mind.
These are the kinds of things I want to hear, examples of how features compair, etc. thanks

There are many things I continue to grouse about with Power Director but I'd say that in it's market sector it's probably among the best.
I've hear that too, but I wanted to make sure it was just hype.

I interested enough to have actually purchased it, I just don't have the time to invested in learning how these two editors compair; I'm always running behind in my projects as it is!
Thanks for you comments Theolilou,

Quote: Dear Michael The question is what are you currently doing with PE and what do you expect and intend to do with PD14 ?
I simply edit video clips that I've taken with my 2 cameras. I spend a lot of time key framing, I create slideshows using pan and zoom function then editing the result by adjusting the keyframes. I work a lot with transitions and titles. But I am still a relative novice when it comes to the more advanced features so before I get too invested I want to make sure I'm working with the editor that gets the best results with the least amount of effort; that has the lowest learning curve.
Are you interest in particular features ? (4k, fast rendering, action cam....)
Not sure what the "4k" and "action cam..." features are. I'm particularly interested in are the only ones I know, like Rendering, which is a very time consuming process and has to been done way too often. What I have learned in PrE is that I can constrain the area of the timeline I want to render so rendering, for that area, can be accomplished in about 30 seconds. Speed mapping, key framing, pan and zoom, tracking, etc. most any feature that PrE has and that I've tried to impliment.
I consider that you will find good added value if you update to director suite with color director and audio director.
That would certainly be something I'd consider, if I decide to switch, but before I do that I need to figure out if switching is a good direction to go in or if I'd be better advised to stay with PrE.I could spend a lot of time learning how to use PD but I couln't possibly evaluate all the options of each progream on my own, I don't even know all the available options in PrE, because I'm still learning! I have the basics down but I couldn't really make an informed decision based on what I can do with the features I know. I need to hear from people who have advanced experience with both programs. What would be ideal is a side-by-side review of all the features of both programs, done by an advanced user, who knows and understands all the features of both programs and can compair them and make a recommendation.
Quote: There is a trial version, but severely limited. There is a 30? day money-back warranty on the actual full program.
I already own v13 but there is a learning curve that I do not have the time to invest in, just keeping up with PrE curve is enough. That's why I posted this question, to get feedback from anyone who has used PrE or has switched and why.
I have been using PrE for several years. Can anyone tell me how it compairs with PD? I've heard good things about PD but I wonder if it would make sense to switch to PD. I'm wondering what the pros and cons are.
How can I get crossfade to work when I overlap 2 clips; it always seems to be greyed out when I try it.
Thanks for taking the time to help
Quote: For fading out audio, there are little triangle buttons in the audio mixer section. Just click on the clip, press END to get to the end and click the fade out triangle.
I can't seem to find the triangle buttons.

for video I just grab a black colour box and you place it on top of the end of a video clip.
Yes, this is in line with what Tony suggested. But where do I find a black box?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Quote: A quick way to apply fade transition (Overlap) drag one clip over the other, in the menu that appears, select crossfade.
That is simple; thanks.

But what I'm trying to accomplish is a fade in/out at the beginning and end of a serious of clips. In the editor I came from there was a simple option on the Right click context menu for Fade In/Out; which produced a context menu with options to fade sound, video or both. I sure miss having that simple option here.
Hi Tony, thanks for taking the time to help.
Quote:
you can use the Copy/Paste Keyframe attributes feature to apply the same thing to multiple clips.
As soon as I figure out how to create the Fade I will be sure to save it; no sense reinventing the wheel.

If the clips are lined up end-to-end, that will result in a fade to & from black between each clip.

I have several clips "grouped", I'm assuming this will, never the less, still apply.
Quote: For video, double-click a clip to open PIP designer. Scroll down the left side to the bottom and checkmark the boxes.
(You can also set a transition as a FAVORITE, which makes it more readily accessible.)
Finally getting back to the question; I read the answer when the came in but haven't yet actually tried them.

First thanks for taking to time to offer your help.

I have several clips grouped, which is why this may not be working for me; or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

When I double click on a grouped clip nothing happens; except the grouped clip gets highlighted and the cursor turns into a hand.
If I left click the context menu pops up but there is no PIP option there.

I went to the PIP options room; F9, but I didn't find any fade options there. But I wonder why the fade option would be there; it wouldn't occur to me to look there for the fade option.

Have I misunderstood something? Am I doing it wrong?
Thanks everyone for all these suggestions. I've just upgraded to v13, and am hoping someone recognized the need for a one click shortcut fade option in that version. PrE had such a shortcut and it 's the one thing I miss most in PD.
I'm looking for a Fade in/Fade out shortcut. In Premiere Elements there's a fade in/fade out option on the main drop down; when you right click a clip, where you can select Audio, Video or both.

I don't want to have to open Transitions every time I want to fade in or out, but since I didn't find the option when I right clicked on a clip I went to the Transitions but couldn't find it there either.

I'm guessing it's right under my nose; somewhere.
Thanks for all your responses; I will check out the links but it sounds good to me; especially after what Big Eric had to say. Guess I'll go for it. Especially since the upgrade price; on the comparison link is $80.00, not $145.00; which is the price I saw.
I just DL'd an upgrade to v12 and discovered that there is a v13 now. I watched the video but I didn't learn much about v13 compared to 12.

I wonder what the real advantages are and if it's worth the cost; which seems rather steep for an upgrade.

The only thing that stuck in my mind from the video was the ref to 64bit, but I was under the impression that v12 was 64 bit.

I am running v12 on two Windows computers; 7 and 8, which are both 64 bit.

I'm guessing that may not be the case and if v13 is it would be much faster. Is that so? That's about the only thing that would make me fork of so much money for an upgrade.

Are there other significant editing features that would make paying that kind of money for an upgrade? I'm mean editing, not transitions, of titles, etc. but editing features that would improve workflow efficiency, productivity and improved results
Great, thanks I'll get right on it.
Right now I see two icons above the timeline "Use Magic tools" and "Split". Mod/trim etc have disappeared but seem to come back at some point.

I was thinking that if I moved the timeline a little; off the spot where I did the "clip", they would come back; but they didn't.

Can someone explain how this works? Why do those options drop off when clip is selected and why are they kept until the track is clicked on?

Also, is there a quick way to add fades to clips; without going into the "Transition room"? In Adobe Premiere the context menu includes a fad option for video and sound.
I recently tried putting the preview monitor on my second screen. That worked just fine until I went to full screen.

As soon as I went full screen my mouse becomes inert; I can move it around but nothing happens when I click the buttons and the clock; with the double headed horizontal arrow, icon does not appear when I hover over the TL ruler. As soon as I hit Esc everything returns to normal.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but the "snap" feature is very sensitive;

Hi Mike

You can disable the "Snap" in the Preferences area

Thanks for your response but that option would only made matters worse.

The problem I am experiencing with snap is that it isn't strong enough; not that it is active. I would like to see an option that would make it stickier; as it were, so that it wasn't so easy to push past the snap point; into the the next clip.

The only suggestion I have is go slow with dragging the clip on the timeline.

PD does show a black line (on timeline) when you are in contact with the start or end of the clip. When you see the black line release the left mouse button.

You can even line up a clip on another track using the black line.

I made a short demo. Yes, I used images, works the same with videos.

Thanks for taking the to make the tutorial. It was very helpful I will watch for that line.
Quote:
Yes, but the "snap" feature is very sensitive;

Hi Mike

You can disable the "Snap" in the Preferences area

Thanks for your response but that option would only made matters worse.

The problem I am experiencing with snap is that it isn't strong enough; not that it is active. I would like to see an option that would make it stickier; as it were, so that it wasn't so easy to push past the snap point; into the the next clip.
Quote:
mikecox

I use the method of dragging and I think quite easy to fit the clip where I want, expanding the timeline is quite easy.
The clip fits the self join, start or end of the clip.
If you want to drag first and then fit, drag to another track and then set the drag to the right place.
Note: If you click on a clip and STOP the CTI goes to the beginning of this clip, need a way to insert new clip in the exact position.

Not sure I understand completely, but it sounds like what your saying is that if I expand the timeline the snap option will work better.

I installed PD on my laptop because it is more powerful than my desktop, but I am using a pen tablet on that machine. Maybe that is part of the problem. The new track ball; which is what I have on my other computer, arrived today so I'm going to switch to that and see if the snap problem improves.
Go to: