Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Frustratration with "insert on selected track"
[Post New]
I am frustrated by the options in the "insert on selected track" menu; when the CTI isn't at the end of the timeline.

I wish there was an option to put the selected clips at the end of the current timeline; because when you move a clip to the timeline the CTI remains where it was when you inserted the clip;it doesn't move to the end of the timeline. That means when you try to add another clip; with the "insert..." option, the drop down appears and offers options to put it where the CTI is; but doesn't offer to put it at the end of the timeline. So every time I insert a clip I have to move the CTI to the end of the timeline, so the next clip will go there when I click "Insert..." Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am frustrated by the options in the "insert on selected track" menu; when the CTI isn't at the end of the timeline.

I wish there was an option to put the selected clips at the end of the current timeline; because when you move a clip to the timeline the CTI remains where it was when you inserted the clip;it doesn't move to the end of the timeline. That means when you try to add another clip; with the "insert..." option, the drop down appears and offers options to put it where the CTI is; but doesn't offer to put it at the end of the timeline. So every time I insert a clip I have to move the CTI to the end of the timeline, so the next clip will go there when I click "Insert..."

Hi mikecox,
I can understand your frustration, you need to click on the end of a clip/track to move the slider before using, Right Click (on clip in Library)>Insert on Selected Track.
I use click and drag to place a clip on any track - have you used that method? Highlight with a left mouse click and drag the clip down to any displayed track. You can also multiple select clips in the library and drag all of them down to a track you want.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I am frustrated by the options in the "insert on selected track" menu; when the CTI isn't at the end of the timeline.

I wish there was an option to put the selected clips at the end of the current timeline; because when you move a clip to the timeline the CTI remains where it was when you inserted the clip;it doesn't move to the end of the timeline. That means when you try to add another clip; with the "insert..." option, the drop down appears and offers options to put it where the CTI is; but doesn't offer to put it at the end of the timeline. So every time I insert a clip I have to move the CTI to the end of the timeline, so the next clip will go there when I click "Insert..."

I use click and drag to place a clip on any track - have you used that method?

Yes, but the "snap" feature is very sensitive; so if I don't sneak up on the CTI and, very gently, nudge the clip into place it overshoots and overlays; and deliver the drop down; which does not include an option to "snap to clip", or allow me to back away and try again.

So I end up having to let go of the clip and starting over; a frustrating and time consuming process, especially if your moving a lot of clips and keeping missing the snap. That's why I prefer the "insert..." option; I just have to remember to move the CTI to the end of the clip; if that's where I want the new clip.

I suppose I could always drop the clip then highlight the gap and delete it; that would cause the clip to, effectively, snap when the gap closed.

btw I've never seen a "DROP" key on a computer keyboard. How do you use the shortcut keys in the "insert..." drop down?

EDIT: I just figured out "DROP"; it isn't a key, it means "drop", and in hold down the Ctrl while you drop it item.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2014 04:30

Michael
[Post New]
mikecox

I use the method of dragging and I think quite easy to fit the clip where I want, expanding the timeline is quite easy.
The clip fits the self join, start or end of the clip.
If you want to drag first and then fit, drag to another track and then set the drag to the right place.
Note: If you click on a clip and STOP the CTI goes to the beginning of this clip, need a way to insert new clip in the exact position. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
[Post New]
Quote:
mikecox

I use the method of dragging and I think quite easy to fit the clip where I want, expanding the timeline is quite easy.
The clip fits the self join, start or end of the clip.
If you want to drag first and then fit, drag to another track and then set the drag to the right place.
Note: If you click on a clip and STOP the CTI goes to the beginning of this clip, need a way to insert new clip in the exact position.

Not sure I understand completely, but it sounds like what your saying is that if I expand the timeline the snap option will work better.

I installed PD on my laptop because it is more powerful than my desktop, but I am using a pen tablet on that machine. Maybe that is part of the problem. The new track ball; which is what I have on my other computer, arrived today so I'm going to switch to that and see if the snap problem improves. Michael
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, but the "snap" feature is very sensitive;

Hi Mike

You can disable the "Snap" in the Preferences area

[Thumb - PD12 Snap.png]
 Filename
PD12 Snap.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
127 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
220 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 12. 2014 01:33

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

[Post New]
Quote:

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response but that option would only made matters worse.

The problem I am experiencing with snap is that it isn't strong enough; not that it is active. I would like to see an option that would make it stickier; as it were, so that it wasn't so easy to push past the snap point; into the the next clip. Michael
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Mike

The problem I am experiencing with snap is that it isn't strong enough; not that it is active. I would like to see an option that would make it stickier; as it were, so that it wasn't so easy to push past the snap point; into the the next clip.

The only suggestion I have is go slow with dragging the clip on the timeline.

PD does show a black line (on timeline) when you are in contact with the start or end of the clip. When you see the black line release the left mouse button.

You can even line up a clip on another track using the black line.

I made a short demo. Yes, I used images, works the same with videos.

Filename
Demo connect two clips.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
Demo showing connecting two clips with black line
 Filesize
2006 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 12. 2014 20:28

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Mike

The problem I am experiencing with snap is that it isn't strong enough; not that it is active. I would like to see an option that would make it stickier; as it were, so that it wasn't so easy to push past the snap point; into the the next clip.

The only suggestion I have is go slow with dragging the clip on the timeline.

PD does show a black line (on timeline) when you are in contact with the start or end of the clip. When you see the black line release the left mouse button.

You can even line up a clip on another track using the black line.

I made a short demo. Yes, I used images, works the same with videos.

Thanks for taking the to make the tutorial. It was very helpful I will watch for that line. Michael