Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fade in Fade out shortcut
[Post New]
I'm looking for a Fade in/Fade out shortcut. In Premiere Elements there's a fade in/fade out option on the main drop down; when you right click a clip, where you can select Audio, Video or both.

I don't want to have to open Transitions every time I want to fade in or out, but since I didn't find the option when I right clicked on a clip I went to the Transitions but couldn't find it there either.

I'm guessing it's right under my nose; somewhere. Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
For video, double-click a clip to open PIP designer. Scroll down the left side to the bottom and checkmark the boxes.
(You can also set a transition as a FAVORITE, which makes it more readily accessible.)

For audio, left-click and drag the horizontal line that's in the middle of the audio track, to set keyframes.

No keyboard shortcuts to fades that I'm aware of...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2014 23:52

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Michael -

Once you've set up one clip to fade in and out the way you want, you can use the Copy/Paste Keyframe attributes feature to apply the same thing to multiple clips.

If the clips are lined up end-to-end, that will result in a fade to & from black between each clip.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote: I'm looking for a Fade in/Fade out shortcut. In Premiere Elements there's a fade in/fade out option on the main drop down; when you right click a clip, where you can select Audio, Video or both.

I don't want to have to open Transitions every time I want to fade in or out, but since I didn't find the option when I right clicked on a clip I went to the Transitions but couldn't find it there either.

I'm guessing it's right under my nose; somewhere.

A quick way to apply fade transition (Overlap) drag one clip over the other, in the menu that appears, select crossfade. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
[Post New]
For fading out audio, there are little triangle buttons in the audio mixer section. Just click on the clip, press END to get to the end and click the fade out triangle.

For video I just grab a black colour box and you place it on top of the end of a video clip. So half is covering the end of the video, the other half is sticking out to the right, or you can move it further to the left so it doesn't stick out the right. A menu will appear > crossfade.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2014 03:41

Website
YouTube
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for all these suggestions. I've just upgraded to v13, and am hoping someone recognized the need for a one click shortcut fade option in that version. PrE had such a shortcut and it 's the one thing I miss most in PD. Michael
bushfilm
Newbie Location: Louisiana Joined: Oct 10, 2014 15:03 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Alll,

I am new to PowerDirector 12, though I have been editing for many years on other systems, mostly Avid Media Composer. I like PDR12, has a lot of neat features, once you figure them out. I, too, need a quick easy way to fade in and out, but mostly for titles. My question is: must I place all titles on the title track or can I put them on other video tracks. When I add a title to the title track, then try to place a fade effect on the end, it won't let me do that. Can someone help me out here, I checked the manual but didn't find any explanation about fading titles in and out, though I did find a title that fades, but I couldn't figure out how to modify it to do what I want, which is just a simple, slow fade away. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Charles Emon Bush
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Titles can be placed in any video track. When you go to edit the text, Title Designer opens. Click the motion tab. The fades in and fade out are locating under starting and ending effects that you can choose. See page 174 in the user manual.
bushfilm
Newbie Location: Louisiana Joined: Oct 10, 2014 15:03 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I'll give that a shot! Thanks so much! Charles Emon Bush
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
[Post New]
Quote: For video, double-click a clip to open PIP designer. Scroll down the left side to the bottom and checkmark the boxes.
(You can also set a transition as a FAVORITE, which makes it more readily accessible.)
Finally getting back to the question; I read the answer when the came in but haven't yet actually tried them.

First thanks for taking to time to offer your help.

I have several clips grouped, which is why this may not be working for me; or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

When I double click on a grouped clip nothing happens; except the grouped clip gets highlighted and the cursor turns into a hand.
If I left click the context menu pops up but there is no PIP option there.

I went to the PIP options room; F9, but I didn't find any fade options there. But I wonder why the fade option would be there; it wouldn't occur to me to look there for the fade option.

Have I misunderstood something? Am I doing it wrong? Michael
[Post New]
Hi Tony, thanks for taking the time to help.
Quote:
you can use the Copy/Paste Keyframe attributes feature to apply the same thing to multiple clips.
As soon as I figure out how to create the Fade I will be sure to save it; no sense reinventing the wheel.

If the clips are lined up end-to-end, that will result in a fade to & from black between each clip.

I have several clips "grouped", I'm assuming this will, never the less, still apply. Michael
[Post New]
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Quote: A quick way to apply fade transition (Overlap) drag one clip over the other, in the menu that appears, select crossfade.
That is simple; thanks.

But what I'm trying to accomplish is a fade in/out at the beginning and end of a serious of clips. In the editor I came from there was a simple option on the Right click context menu for Fade In/Out; which produced a context menu with options to fade sound, video or both. I sure miss having that simple option here. Michael
[Post New]
Thanks for taking the time to help
Quote: For fading out audio, there are little triangle buttons in the audio mixer section. Just click on the clip, press END to get to the end and click the fade out triangle.
I can't seem to find the triangle buttons.

for video I just grab a black colour box and you place it on top of the end of a video clip.
Yes, this is in line with what Tony suggested. But where do I find a black box?

Michael
fkaMikeB
Senior Member Location: Ohio, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2014 23:22 Messages: 217 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, this is in line with what Tony suggested. But where do I find a black box?

In the "Media Room," Click the Media Content dropdown and select Color Boards.
I can't seem to find the triangle buttons.

Try the "Audio Mixing Room" Keyboard shortcut F9.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 13. 2014 15:55

Mike B.
|>>PowerSpecG311 PC(2014)<<||>>Windows®7Pro 64-bit OS<<|
|MB:AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+|CPU:AMD A10-7850KQuad 3.7GHz|RAM:8GB DDR3|GPU:MSI Radeon™R7 250 1GD5OC|
|HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB|HDD:WD Red 2TBx2|RAID:SansDigital TR5M+B 2TBx3|BD-R:LG BE14NU40 Ext|
|Camera:Canon Ultura miniDV|WebCam:Logitech C910|ADVC110 Analog/Digital Converter|
|PowerDirector12Ultra.2930|PhotoDirector5Ultra.5424|AudioDirector4Ultra.3522|Cyberlink MediaSuite10 OEM|
fkaMikeB
Senior Member Location: Ohio, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2014 23:22 Messages: 217 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to apply a fade transition to all clips, do this:

1. Click the button with the lightning bolt icon (opens "Transition Room") Keyboard shortcut F8.
You'll notice a row of buttons appear directly above the timeline. (Note: if you select anything on the timeline at this point, those buttons will be hidden again, so don't click anything)
2. Click the third button from the left "Apply fading transition to all videos." A dropdown will appear with four types of fades.
3. Click one of the four choices and it will apply the fade* to all video+audio clips on the timeline.

EDIT: *The fade duration is dependent on the default setting which you can change in preferences. Edit>Preferences>Editing or click the "gear" icon.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 13. 2014 15:52

Mike B.
|>>PowerSpecG311 PC(2014)<<||>>Windows®7Pro 64-bit OS<<|
|MB:AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+|CPU:AMD A10-7850KQuad 3.7GHz|RAM:8GB DDR3|GPU:MSI Radeon™R7 250 1GD5OC|
|HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB|HDD:WD Red 2TBx2|RAID:SansDigital TR5M+B 2TBx3|BD-R:LG BE14NU40 Ext|
|Camera:Canon Ultura miniDV|WebCam:Logitech C910|ADVC110 Analog/Digital Converter|
|PowerDirector12Ultra.2930|PhotoDirector5Ultra.5424|AudioDirector4Ultra.3522|Cyberlink MediaSuite10 OEM|
[Post New]
I made a screenshot of the way that I use the most, to add Fade (audio and video) in PD12, for videos, but it has other options.

http://youtu.be/hePH_TcWU68 AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate