Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why should I upgrade from v12
[Post New]
I just DL'd an upgrade to v12 and discovered that there is a v13 now. I watched the video but I didn't learn much about v13 compared to 12.

I wonder what the real advantages are and if it's worth the cost; which seems rather steep for an upgrade.

The only thing that stuck in my mind from the video was the ref to 64bit, but I was under the impression that v12 was 64 bit.

I am running v12 on two Windows computers; 7 and 8, which are both 64 bit.

I'm guessing that may not be the case and if v13 is it would be much faster. Is that so? That's about the only thing that would make me fork of so much money for an upgrade.

Are there other significant editing features that would make paying that kind of money for an upgrade? I'm mean editing, not transitions, of titles, etc. but editing features that would improve workflow efficiency, productivity and improved results Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

Maybe give this thread a read?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40262.page
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Mike,

If PD12 does what you need than stick with it. I have found the "enhanced" stabilizer alone in PD13 worth the upgrade price since I handle various cameras that do not do a good job of stability. Win 10, i7
fkaMikeB
Senior Member Location: Ohio, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2014 23:22 Messages: 217 Offline
[Post New]
The only thing that stuck in my mind from the video was the ref to 64bit, but I was under the impression that v12 was 64 bit.
"v12" is 64-bit.

Click here for a comparison chart of versions 13, 12 and 11.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2014 23:31

Mike B.
|>>PowerSpecG311 PC(2014)<<||>>Windows®7Pro 64-bit OS<<|
|MB:AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+|CPU:AMD A10-7850KQuad 3.7GHz|RAM:8GB DDR3|GPU:MSI Radeon™R7 250 1GD5OC|
|HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB|HDD:WD Red 2TBx2|RAID:SansDigital TR5M+B 2TBx3|BD-R:LG BE14NU40 Ext|
|Camera:Canon Ultura miniDV|WebCam:Logitech C910|ADVC110 Analog/Digital Converter|
|PowerDirector12Ultra.2930|PhotoDirector5Ultra.5424|AudioDirector4Ultra.3522|Cyberlink MediaSuite10 OEM|
BigEric
Newbie Location: Standish, England Joined: May 15, 2010 13:57 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I wonder what the real advantages are and if it's worth the cost; which seems rather steep for an upgrade.

Are there other significant editing features that would make paying that kind of money for an upgrade? I'm mean editing, not transitions, of titles, etc. but editing features that would improve workflow efficiency, productivity and improved results

I think we may have a similar outlook on editing: all the fades, dissolves, pip effects and jiggery-pokery leave me cold. An ideally-edited video should have totally absorbing content (i.e a structured blend of sound and vision that concentrates the mind rather than whitewashing over the content.)

I always think two good signs of when I've hit the spot are when people don't want to chatter through a video, and... well, if they mention any effects I feel like a conjurer who is told that "I loved the way you made it seem as if the rabbit disappeared" rather than the gasped "where on Earth did you make that rabbit go to!"

I resent spending money. Full stop. But this upgrade is worth it for me.

I particularly like the multi-camera syncing, the advanced image stabiliser and lots of little refinements that litter the new version. HD rendering is slick and fast and artifact-free, I love the way Menu Designer has evolved for my producing DVDs and I think the quality enhancement operations are a lot less clunky. I reckon this development way well be good enough for me (no more learning new software: hooray!).

I reckon I'm a very tough audience. I don't regret this (final) expenditure. I didn't "try before you buy" but I believe you can if you're unsure.

All the Best from England. Good Luck with your decision. BigEric
(Like any complex skill, good videography gets easier with practice. And talent. And planning. And a love of the process)
OldBuck [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lake Mills, IA Joined: Oct 07, 2014 12:40 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I got an e-mail on August 8th regarding upgrading to v12 which I did for $49.99. Then on October 3rd I got an e-mail about upgrading to v13 for 69.99 ($10.00 off) and that upgrade price is from v11 or v12. When I go to the website I find that I can buy a complete version for $129.99. So to sum it up I will have spent $119.98 to get to v13 within 2 months when I could buy the complete version for $129.99. Something is wrong with this picture. Surely they knew that the v13 release was imminent when they sent me the upgrade e-mail to v12. Seems like a sneaky way to get more money from their current customers. Doesn't speak well for their interest in keeping their current customers. I wrote to customer support regarding this and was basically told tough bounce....we don't have any pricing options for your situation but we feel bad about it.

Based on my experience I would recommend you wait until v14 to upgrade.
[Post New]
Thanks for all your responses; I will check out the links but it sounds good to me; especially after what Big Eric had to say. Guess I'll go for it. Especially since the upgrade price; on the comparison link is $80.00, not $145.00; which is the price I saw.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2014 13:15

Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
[Post New]
Just started using the trial of PD13. Will likely get it because of the multi cam feature.

Question: Since when can you just drag and drop a PowerPoint into PD and it turns it into images?

This feature is SO useful to me. Website
YouTube