Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I think it's less to do with PDR13, & more to do with the settings you're applying in the other software... unless there are none.

As an example, in Paint.NET, you can "Fade Edges" on a photo & adjust the width & strength of the feather. A lower strength/intensity setting would leave the edge on the photo (even though it's slightly faded).

If you look at the screenshot you posted from the other photo suite, the edge is still there. Look at the shutters & trees at the top. The visibility of the "edge" will vary depending on the background used.

Perhaps you could attach (a) an original photo & (b) the same photo feathered in that software. That would be helpful.

This little slideshow was made by using that "Fade Edge" effect in Paint.NET, then building & producing in PDR13.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Anna -

It's still there, in the same spot.

When you select a clip & choose Fix/Enhance, you'll see a checkbox for "Compare in split preview":

Cheers - Tony
Hi chetnet -

If you're masking large numbers of photos, I agree that would be a bit tedious.

If your graphics software can batch process the photos to feather the edges, that's the best way to go. For the faded edge (which is a transparent gradient) to be retained, you MUST save the photos in .PNG format.

If you do that, your soft egded photos will be displayed in PDR as you wish.

I assume you're building the slideshow manually. If you're using the slideshow templates, there'd be no guarantee your soft edges would be retained.

Cheers - Tony
Hi teea -

What you've noticed is true. Alpha channel MOV files work correctly in PDR15, but not PDR16. Here. the videos import OK - it's just that what should be transparent is black. Videos that use the PNG codec work correctly. Those that use QTrle or MPEG (JPEG 2000) don't.

I have submitted a report about this & I believe the issue is being worked on.

Cheers - Tony
Hi arttee -

PDR15 (or any other version) is not equipped to handle 10bit video with 4:2:2 subsampling, so you'll probably need to find some workaround. Some other software I use has the same sort of issue.

If you have some time, see what this guy does.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Paddy -

Long time, no hear.

I don't know if this is the problem but sometimes when that happens, unlinking the audio and video (right click) will allow the correct tool options to be available.

Worth a shot, anyway.

Cheers - Tony
Hi pmikep -

I just (kinda) replicated the rendering test in the PCMagazine article, except with a different PC (obviously) & different software.

I used 4 mixed clips, as they did in their test - UHD, 1080p, 720p & SD - with a total duration of 5 min - rendered to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080/30p @ 16Mbps.

Personally, I couldn't care less about rendering speed, but PDR came out a good way ahead.

• PDR16 = 2:25

• Premiere Pro CC 2017 = 3:19

• VEGAS Pro = 4:49

Cheers - Tony
Hi Kivork -

I don't disagree with you about the advantage of being able to paste keyframe attributes to multiple clips... but (here) that function has been absent since PDR14. PDR12 & 13 - yes - but not after that. I'd like to see it back too.

Freeform crop is working here, to a point. I can crop a video to any aspect ratio, so long as the first & last keyframes are the same. It doesn't work if I want to create any zoom or pan with the crop.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jeff -

I haven't used the Video Collage feature extensively, but enough to see how it functions. I don't think it's intended to be an extension or alternative to MultiCam Designer, even though the two could be used side by side in a project.

There's no facility, within the plug-in module, to sync audio if (say) the clips are all from a multi-cam shoot of a single event.

I've not attempted to use it as an alternative to MC Designer, but (with a bit of fiddling & pre-trimming) it could be done.

Cheers - Tony
Hi John -

The shadow files option is still in the same old spot - Preferences > General.

With PDR16, you can select the shadow file resolution. Screenshot attached.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Nigel & Hatti -

I'm no expert on these things, but (from what I can tell) the RocketStock freebies are 3D LUTs, in 3D CUBE format. Hatti's right - they don't work in CDR either.

I converted them to .3dl using a LUT Converter tool & the converted LUTs work in both PDR16 & CDR.

The converted LUTs are attached if you'd like to have a play.

Cheers - Tony
Hi breadbox88 -

Using the Produce > Online method is restricted to WMV, which is compatible with the sites listed, even though it may not be your preferred option. WMV has a file size benefit over other formats.

The profiles can be customised, but not in PDR. They need to be edited in (now unsupported) software - Windows Media Encoder

There's a zip file attached with many customised profiles previously made available. When you unzip, the profiles (not the containing folder) need to be put in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector16\Language\Enu\Profiles

If you wish to use anything but WMV, videos need to be uploaded manually. From the sound of it, WMV would suit most of your purposes anyway.

Cheers - Tony
Rick -

I'm digging into this, but haven't come up with a clear answer yet.

Downloaded the trial version of VEGAS Pro for testing. MP4s produced in PDR16 with Dolby audio do not import into VEGAS as audio only files, but the audio is scrambled on playback. Screenshot attached.

AVC H.264 M2TS files produced with either Dolby or LPCM audio import & playback correctly in VEGAS Pro.

That said, there's something weird going on at the PDR end too. surprised

Cheers - Tony
Hi MarkAuclair -

I can confirm that PDR14 Ultra or Ultimate has no issues importing 2.7K clips shot at 60fps from GoPro Hero 5 Black. Just checked. Is your version Ultimate, Ultra or Deluxe?

Cheers - Tony
Hi Nigel -

I doubt that you've done anything wrongly. Some LUTs will have almost no impact on particular clips, I assume partly because they may have been made for use on video shot with a particular camera on a particular setting.

Were the LUTs you downloaded from RocketStock?

How observant are you? Did you notice in the tutorial video at 2:43 that the LUT selected is not a .CUBE file, but .3dl? It's possible the tutorial maker dropped that file there to show an obvious effect.

Attached are some free LUTs I've downloaded. I'd be surprised if they don't have some impact, even if it's not the look you're after.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers - Tony
Yes alhan -

I can confirm that. PDR14 imports the clips but displays image white. Changing the file extension to .mp4 corrects that.

PDR15 & 16 both import the .MOV clip with no issues. All editing features available, including sending to CDR & ADR for adjustment.

Here, QT & K-Lite codecs installed.

Cheers - Tony
Hi alhan -

No iPhone 8 here, but I can't see any reason why PDR16 wouldn't support it.

1. 4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps or 60 fps

2. 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps

3. 720p HD video recording at 30 fps

4. Video formats recorded: HEVC and H.264

There's only one way to confirm that, but I haven't been able to track down any original iPhone 8 4K clips for download.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Rick -

I don't have Vegas, but I can confirm what the King has posted. MP4s produced in PDR16 with Dolby Digital audio import correctly into other software I tested.

Did you select stereo or 5.1?

Cheers - Tony
Thank you Alberto. I've learned a couple of things.

Firstly, that audio keyframes can be set in the timeline by using the Ctrl key.

Secondly, to check the Help file before providing bad advice! embarassed

Cheers - Tony
Hi Andrew -

That's a strange problem, so it's difficult to isolate the cause.

As tomasc suggested, could you attach a sample of the clips that are somehow "losing their audio" when imported into PDR15? At least then, you'd be able to get confirmation... or we might get closer to a solution.

Since this issue isn't being widely reported, doesn't that tell you your idea that CL has deliberately crippled PDR15 isn't verified?

Cheers - Tony
Quote While it is not natively supported in PowerDirector, you can still easily add a mask that makes your final video have a ultra widescreen, or any aspect ratio. In fact, most video editors don't actually have an ultra wide aspect ratio option (at least for editing). I made a video on my youtube channel on how to do this with a PiP object a couple years ago, but you can do it with a normal png or jpeg too.

Just put this image on the lowest video track that you use:

https://openclipart.org/image/2400px/svg_to_png/254536/HD-to-Cinema-transparent.png

Watch this tutorial if you need more information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyBP-YcJfMI

Attached is a bunch of overlays similar to the one used in Kevin's suggestion/tutorial.

N.B. There is quite a bit of variation in how "cinema" aspect ratios are interpreted. e.g. what's referred to as 21:9 is generally not.

Cheers - Tony
Go to: