Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dolby Audio MP4 production
RickMcKC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2014 15:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
On the plus side, it's great that PD16 has added an additional option on the audio render of an MP4 - Dolby. It actually sounds better to my ears than AAC. Thank you CL. Furthermore, I think the AAC option is improved over PD15 though it still has a slight level of scratchiness compared to Dolby.

On the other hand, it would have been nice to have had a LPCM option. WAV files are produced in this format ... but I digress.

My real issue is that when I produce an MP4 video with the Dolby sound option and upload it for a friend to finish off (with music, titles, etc), it imports to Vegas as an audio file instead of video! However, if I produce the exact same file with AAC, it imports on his end just fine.

Bug? Limitation? Feature?
[Post New]
I believe it's Vegas Pro's bug.

My produced mp4 video w/ Dolby audio works fine with other software. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rick -

I don't have Vegas, but I can confirm what the King has posted. MP4s produced in PDR16 with Dolby Digital audio import correctly into other software I tested.

Did you select stereo or 5.1?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RickMcKC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Rick -

I don't have Vegas, but I can confirm what the King has posted. MP4s produced in PDR16 with Dolby Digital audio import correctly into other software I tested.

Did you select stereo or 5.1?

Cheers - Tony

Stereo.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Rick -

I'm digging into this, but haven't come up with a clear answer yet.

Downloaded the trial version of VEGAS Pro for testing. MP4s produced in PDR16 with Dolby audio do not import into VEGAS as audio only files, but the audio is scrambled on playback. Screenshot attached.

AVC H.264 M2TS files produced with either Dolby or LPCM audio import & playback correctly in VEGAS Pro.

That said, there's something weird going on at the PDR end too. surprised

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - VEGAS Pro MP4 import.png]
 Filename
VEGAS Pro MP4 import.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
485 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
24 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2017 17:53

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RickMcKC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Rick -

Downloaded the trial version of VEGAS Pro for testing. MP4s produced in PDR16 with Dolby audio do not import into VEGAS as audio only files, but the audio is scrambled on playback. Screenshot attached.

AVC H.264 M2TS files produced with either Dolby or LPCM audio import & playback correctly in VEGAS Pro.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for looking into this!
Art Martin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2015 08:11 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased PD16 for the express purpose of importing video files captured from my home security system that have sound. They are HVEC files saved with the .265 mp4 format and other software clearly sees the sound. The import seems to not understand the sound format.

PD16 shows no audio information for the file. What a waste of 70 dollars. The reason I bought it is because it said it would import these files. Without sound they are worthless.
[Post New]
Quote I just purchased PD16 for the express purpose of importing video files captured from my home security system that have sound. They are HVEC files saved with the .265 mp4 format and other software clearly sees the sound. The import seems to not understand the sound format.

PD16 shows no audio information for the file. What a waste of 70 dollars. The reason I bought it is because it said it would import these files. Without sound they are worthless.

I guess you mean HEVC video.
First, the video codec and audio codec are 2 different things, PowerDirector supports HEVC (aka H.265), no problem.
But what audio codec is it? If it is ADPCM, install QuickTime then PowerDirector can support it.
My dashboard camera has that codec and QuickTime really helps. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
borntalent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2014 14:32 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Rick -

Cheers - Tony

I know this is old.. but came across it. It's not a Vegas problem, its a PD issue. I have PD14 on 3 laptops and PD9 on 2 computers.
If I tape transfer to PD14, it saves the audio in Dolby. The file will not work in PD9, Adobe Premier Pro, etc... and gives the error about the dolby. If I do the same transfer into PD9 first, the audio is LPCM and that file will play on PD!4, Adobe Premier Pro, etc...

It's the Dolby Audio on the import in PD14 that causes the issue.