Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 16 Video Collage - synchronization
JeffK.Boston [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2010 05:40 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I viewed all the training related to the PowerDirector 16 Video Collage feature and it looks really cool. This new feature is going to determine if I buy PowerDirector 16.

The question is since you pulling clips in from the library directly how do you time synchronize the clips by audio?

One of PowerDirector’s most useful features is working with multiple clips on the timeline after they have PowerDirector has synchronized by audio. Today in version 15 assembling multiple synchronized clips into a collage means having to take time to set up all the frame windows on the video canvas. Having presetup canvases like shown in the PowerDirector 16 Video Collage feature would be a significant improvement - but only if the clips are synchronized.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff -

I haven't used the Video Collage feature extensively, but enough to see how it functions. I don't think it's intended to be an extension or alternative to MultiCam Designer, even though the two could be used side by side in a project.

There's no facility, within the plug-in module, to sync audio if (say) the clips are all from a multi-cam shoot of a single event.

I've not attempted to use it as an alternative to MC Designer, but (with a bit of fiddling & pre-trimming) it could be done.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JeffK.Boston [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff -

I haven't used the Video Collage feature extensively, but enough to see how it functions. I don't think it's intended to be an extension or alternative to MultiCam Designer, even though the two could be used side by side in a project.

There's no facility, within the plug-in module, to sync audio if (say) the clips are all from a multi-cam shoot of a single event.

I've not attempted to use it as an alternative to MC Designer, but (with a bit of fiddling & pre-trimming) it could be done.

Cheers - Tony

To my knowledge MultiCam Designer can't create a Video Collage. MC is designed to take up to 4 sources and create 1 output. Using MC you keep clicking between the 4 sources and the output is then switched to the source you clicked on. It is like being a director with live cameras.

A Video Collage is taking 2-X sources and simultaneously display each at the same time in the output. A set of boxes it you will on the screen. An example of that concept is when a cable news channel puts talking heads at 3 different locations each it their own box on the screen.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

As Tony indicates there is no facility for synching in the Video Colloge plugin. There are some trimming facilities available within the plugin but, as far as I can see, the easiest way is to produce your videos to give a "synchronised set" and pull them into the plugin so that they all have the same synchronised start point.

Using the plugin for any detailed editing seems to me to be quite a lot of work, which is easier done elsewhere in PD.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JeffK.Boston [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

As Tony indicates there is no facility for synching in the Video Colloge plugin. There are some trimming facilities available within the plugin but, as far as I can see, the easiest way is to produce your videos to give a "synchronised set" and pull them into the plugin so that they all have the same synchronised start point.

Using the plugin for any detailed editing seems to me to be quite a lot of work, which is easier done elsewhere in PD.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

That is the conclusion I came to - if I wanted to use this I would need to do 2 passes. First pass to create a set of files that had been synchronized - then a second pass to use Video Collage feature.

That is likely more work than what I am doing today to create Video Collages in PD

BTW I was NOT looking to edit them in the Video Collage feature - only have then clips stay synchronised

The PD 15 to 16 upgrade likely isn't worth for me - it would have been for sure if Video Colloge plugin had audio synchronization

FYI - You could easily enhance Video Collage feature by simply allowing it to pull in tracks from the video time line rather than only the Library. That would solve the issue plus (which I had not thought of) allow editing. It is reall pain in the neck to have write something out to use an edited track in a plug-in