Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Have you tried Real Player Downloader? It's bundled in the latest versions of Real Player. Most sites I've tried it on it works, and can pull down in full quality.

I don't often have a need for it and I uninstalled it after upgrading to Win 8.1, but it's worth taking a look at.
I had a similar problem once. When you import an image into PD, it resizes the image to fit within the boundries of the video screen (1920x1080, for instance). If you attempt to zoom in, you are zooming in on the already resized image, causing it to look bitty.

I finally found a free utility called WPanorama that takes a panoramic image and converts it to an AVI video which pans the image. I was able to bring that into PD and work with it from there. You might want to give that a look.
I do a lot of work with .TS files, and I occasionally get this issue. I'm not sure what causes it, but in most cases the video won't play in Windows Medai Player either - but often will in Media Player Classic. Probably about 5% of the .TS files I deal with have this problem.

Haven't figured out how to deal with them directly in PD yet - I just use Handbrake to convert them to regular MPEG (Format Factory will not work - it just creates a distored version of the video).
Just a thought, but rather than trying to simulate a moving mouth as Barry has suggested, you could use an actual person's mouth instead.

Try covering a person's face in a chromakey friendly makeup, then film their mouth closeup. Drop the image of the orange on the first track, and the mouth video on the second. Then modify the mouth video and enable chroma keying, using the makeup color.

I can't say I've tried it, but it might be something to experiment with.
Sounds like a security issue. Since you're viewing the video on one site (Director Zone or the forum) and the video is actually coming from another site (YouTube), your security settings may not allow playing video from another domain.

Norton is often heavy handed with security, to the point of being crippling. Try disabling it temporarilly and see if that helps. You may also want to try resetting the security settings on your browswer back to the default settings.
Quote: I'm going to try the suggestions of Skully and try to edit the individual clips and then reinsert them into a master project. Perhaps that will work. But how terrible is it that you have to massage a program because it can't perform as it was marketed.

For Carl's suggestions, who appears to be a senior contributor, what a terrible idea. Find the spot in your video where you made edits, where you spent your time using the software for the exact reason you purchased it, and delete that section! What? Maybe people actually want that section in their video. Perhaps that's a key section of the video. Or perhaps for a billion other reasons cetain sections of the video should not or cannot be removed. Brilliant idea Carl!

When I originally had that problem, I was able to pinpoint the exact clip that was causing the problem by noting the time the produce stage hung up on, and matching it to my timeline. Rather than trying to fiddle with the settings on the clip, pre-rendering it seemed the simplest solution, and as I mentioned, a good workflow practice anyways. I could have taken more time to diagnose the actual root of the problem, but this seemed the quicker and easier solution.

Carl's suggestion was only as a diagnostic method to determine the cause of your problem. Carl is very methodical in his approach to solving these issues, and a great resource on this forum, and I doubt he would suggest that you avoid using the effects that the software was intended to be used for. I know you're frustrated, but I have no doubt that his suggestion was only intended to help you isolate the problem.

I should also note that since my original reply I have produced quite a few videos, and have not experienced a similar problem. That just reinforces my belief that the issue was a specific set of circumstances on that specific clip, not a general shortcoming of the software. All software likes to claim to be everything to everyone, but the reality is that there are far too many variables between hardware & software configurations, and source materials, for PD - or any editor software - to handle everything perfectly everytime. PD is a good program. Any little issues I've run across I have always found an easy enough workaround for that are at worst minor inconveniences compared to what I can get out of the software.
Quote: It means your monitor is upside-down!

This, coming from someone who walks sideways
Is it an exclamation point, or an orange 'i'? The 'i' mark simply means that you've applied an enhancement to the clip - in this case, the video denoise.

And because you've applied denoise to the clip, it will take longer to render, as your system has to apply the effect to each frame as it produces.
I've had similar results when I've used too much image enhancement. Did you apply any lighting adjustment or video enhancement to the original video? If so, try reducing it and produce again. See if that has any effect on the output file.
Quote: Well count me in as another problem child. I installed it on my desktop with the same freezing issues a few times. With is a PhenomX4 with 8 gig's and 1T HDD and Radeon 6970 X2.

Then i installed it on my I3 Notebook with a completely lower spec and it done the same thing.

This is the second product i buy from this company that is giving problems. I am definately thinking of getting a refund.

Jayson -

There are many people here who run PD on computers with a wide range of specs without any significant problems, myself included. There are also people, like those in this thread, who seem plagued by them.

Since you've installed the software on two machines you own with wildly different specs, my first question would be - what is similar between your two machines? Are you running the same anti-virus software? Any utilities or other background applications? What other software do the two machines have in common?

Just a hunch, but if we assume that PD isn't the root cause of your problem, then some other similarity between the two systems may provide a clue as to what is.
Do you mean you want it to look like it's letterboxed, without actually distorting the video? You can do this with the mask feature.

If you double-click the clip on your timeline, the PiP Designer will open up. The right-most tab will allow you pick a shape which acts as a window through which the video is seen. If you uncheck the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' option, you can adjust the length and width independantly.

This won't distort the video, but it will hide the parts outside of the mask, basically cutting them off.
Fraps may be based on DivX, but it is its own codec - Fraps FPS1.

See their FAQ for more info - http://www.fraps.com/faq.php

It appears that your file was a video capture using Fraps. Fraps has a proprietary codec. My guess is that PD does not support that codec directly. Can't say for sure because I've never worked with anything recorded using the Fraps codec.

Try opening the file in another video editing program and producing the file to another format, then pull that into PD. According to the Fraps website, Windows Movie Maker should be able to do it (as long as it's on the same computer that Fraps is installed on). That should also reduce the file size.

http://www.fraps.com/faq.php
Quote: Thanks Skully for the help..sorry didn't get on yesterday alittle under the weather. One question, if ones computer gets hit with a virus or something..doesn't that still effect both drives?
I don't think i would have a problem putting in a drive myself..i have had to disconnect one before and take one out and put it back in...but beyond buying one and putting it in...from there i am lost on what i do from there. gonna try and do some reading today on what that involves exactly. I have heard mixed things in reading about HP computers and the lack of quality in some areas with their computers...still really wanting to go with the dell

Most modern viruses attack system areas, not data files. That being said, a virus could attach itself to files anywhere on your system - on data drives, USB drives, network drives, etc. The RAID array only provides protection against physical failure of your hard drive, as it uses 1 drive as an exact copy of the other in real time. If one drive fails, it switches over to the other. If you get a virus on your system drive with a RAID array, the RAID will make an exact copy of the virus on the second drive, so it provides no protection against that at all. Plus, while RAID 0 is the simplest type of array to implement, and BY FAR the easiest to recover in the event of catastrophic drive failure, it's also the slowest, and will actually cause the machine to run at less than optimal performance.

Your best configuration for performance and protection in my experience is regular non-RAID drives, frequent backups, basic virus protection (not full blown 'internet security' apps), and being cautious and alert on the internet.
Quote:
Quote: you can reinstall using the upgrade version files without installing PD9 first, but the installer will recognize that it is the upgrade version and ask you to provide your PD9 license key (in addition to the PD10 key) before it will install.

Word of caution, that surely has not been my experience with PD, you need to have the actual product installed if your newer verison you are installing is an upgrade.

Jeff

Maybe this is a change, then, because I just purchased a new computer 2 weeks ago and installed my PD10 upgrade on it without installing 9 first. All it asked for was the 9 key to verify that I owned the previous version.

In any case, it's good practice to keep old installers & licenses around just in case. I have all my files and codes going back to PD7.
Whenever you download software you should save the files in case you need to reinstall - preferably backed up on a CD or another hard drive.

In the event of a crash (or a new computer) you can reinstall using the upgrade version files without installing PD9 first, but the installer will recognize that it is the upgrade version and ask you to provide your PD9 license key (in addition to the PD10 key) before it will install.
Quote:
Just a suggestion, to help sync audio. If you film a person at the beginning of the video that claps their hands one time.
You will have a sharp sound and a visual that you can sync.

Of course the pros use a clapper board.

Clapping seems like a good idea, but I don't think it's very precise and sadly I lack the ear or reflexes to match it up properly. Working with audio is always more of a chalange for me than video. I do need to get some sort of clapper board, as that would make it much easier.
DeAnna -

There is slightly more to it than just running the OS install disk. It's not that hard, but if you don't have an aptitude for it, or are uncomfortable with it, then it may be best not to go that route (I use the same logic as to why I don't change my own oil in my car).

Brand preference is a personal thing, but I would lean towards the Dell based on past history, in spite of the HP's slightly upgraded spec - but that's just me. If you do go with the Dell I would still suggest just getting the single hard drive as well as an aftermarket one of a larger size. The physical installation of the drive is simple and pretty much fool-proof, unlike reloading the whole OS. You can still use the 500GBer as your system drive, but I would store all your stuff on the larger 'D:' drive. PD requires at least 100GB of free space on the C: drive to function properly, and any drive will start to fill up quickly when you're storing a lot of video clips.
I use this method myself. My camera doesn't have a mic input, and I like the flexibility of not having my subjects tethered to my camera anyways.

I bought an Olympus WM-400s on Amazon for around $60 US. It's got 1GB of storage (which is plenty for me), and records in Windows Media format in full stereo. I primarily use it with a Tascam ts-st1 stereo mic that I picked up for about $30. Together they give a nice clear sound in a small, portable package. I don't claim to be an expert, but this configuration works for me.

The fun part is syncing the audio with the video. But I use the ambient sound from the camera's built-in mic and fiddle with the secondary audio until the echo goes away, then mute the camera audio.
Quote: I am currently looking for a new computer and want to make sure my specs matchup with Powerdirector 10 and HD video editing needs. I am looking at a

XPS 8300
Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 4 Dimms
1TB Performance RAID O ( 2 x 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)
AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB DDR3 or (with the option on the Dell website to UPGRADE card to Nvidia Geforce GT 530 or AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 or HD 6770)

CPU Processor requirements?

***PowerDirector 10 is optimized for CPUs with MMX/SSE/SSE2/3DNow!/3DNow! Extension/HyperThreading technology.
• AVI Capture/Producer: Profiles: Pentium II 450 MHz or AMD Athlon 500 MHz
• DVD Quality (MPEG-2) Profiles: Pentium 4 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2200+
• High Quality MPEG-4 and Streaming WMV, QuickTime) Profiles: Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2
• Full-HD quality H.264 and MPEG2 Profiles: Intel Corei5/7 or AMD Phenom II X4
• AVCHD and BD burning Profiles: Pentium Core 2 Duo E6400, or AMD Phenom II X2
•3D Video Editing Profile: Intel Core i7 or AMD Phenom II X4

They show different systems for different things?? I am confused? Given i will be doing blu-ray buring does that mean i need one of the two systems under "AVCHD and BD Buring profiles"? again i am confused.

Also, what about the card options above for the i7 and feedback on which one would be the best to go with? I don't expect to be doing any 3d requiring glasses and stuff. Aside from questioning the card and upgrading it and question about the cpu processor..does the rest of this system seem acceptable for hd editing and software requirements?

DeAnna -

I just purchased the exact same system a few weeks ago. I don't typically do HD editing, but PD works very smoothly on it. As far as the video card goes, when I purchased mine the Nvidia GT 530 was the standard card, and the Radeon 6670 was the upgrade (which I took primarilly because it would ship faster). Looking at the ratings on the cards, it seems the Radeon is a significantly faster card than the Nvidia offered.

One suggestion though - the '1TB Performace' doesn't look like a good deal. There is only room for 2 internal hard drives. Since this option is a raid array, you only get 500 GB of disk space, and no room for expansion (plus, Dell's pricing on hard drives is a bit high, even considering the current hard drive market), unless you prefer the raid array, of course. I would go with the stock 500 GB drive, and purchase a 1 or 2 TB drive (aftermarket). Make sure you purchase the OS media with the machine (they don't include a Windows disk by default). Do a clean install of Windows on the TB drive, then wipe the 500 GBer and use it for backups. You're better off with a clean install of Windows than with Dell's bloatware anyways.
Go to: