Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How does PD 10 upgrade work?
BobG65 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Dorset, UK Joined: Mar 16, 2011 14:26 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone, I want to upgrade from PD9 Ultra to PD 10 Ultra but I can't find info on the method. It seems I have two options Buy an Upgrade download or purchase the full retail pack.

1. If I go for the download do I Run or Save the software and if I can save it will it act as a backup i.e. if I saved it to a DVD could I use it to restore PD 10 in the event of a crash?
2. If I buy the retail pack will it be easy to upgrade or will I need to uninstall PD 9? I've read about the CL-Cleaner and assume this may be needed. This option is actualy cheaper than the upgrade version.

3. Finally will my existing projects be usable in PD 10, I need to keep them but I wo'nt mind importing them into the new package if I have to.

Thanks

Bob

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Bob,

If you buy the upgrade version it will upgrade your PD9 to PD10. It removes PD9 and then instaalls PD10. The downloaded files can be saved to reinstall in case of a crash, but you will have to install PD9 first.

If you buy the retail (full) version you can install PD10 while maintaining PD9 on the same computer. This is what I did. These files can also be saved for future installations if necessary.

Which ever method you choose above, it is best practice to copy your installation files, original invoice and a text file with your CD Key to DVD for safe storage.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
[Post New]
Whenever you download software you should save the files in case you need to reinstall - preferably backed up on a CD or another hard drive.

In the event of a crash (or a new computer) you can reinstall using the upgrade version files without installing PD9 first, but the installer will recognize that it is the upgrade version and ask you to provide your PD9 license key (in addition to the PD10 key) before it will install.
PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: you can reinstall using the upgrade version files without installing PD9 first, but the installer will recognize that it is the upgrade version and ask you to provide your PD9 license key (in addition to the PD10 key) before it will install.

Word of caution, that surely has not been my experience with PD, you need to have the actual product installed if your newer verison you are installing is an upgrade.

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: you can reinstall using the upgrade version files without installing PD9 first, but the installer will recognize that it is the upgrade version and ask you to provide your PD9 license key (in addition to the PD10 key) before it will install.

Word of caution, that surely has not been my experience with PD, you need to have the actual product installed if your newer verison you are installing is an upgrade.

Jeff

Maybe this is a change, then, because I just purchased a new computer 2 weeks ago and installed my PD10 upgrade on it without installing 9 first. All it asked for was the 9 key to verify that I owned the previous version.

In any case, it's good practice to keep old installers & licenses around just in case. I have all my files and codes going back to PD7.
PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The difference could be what file you really got when you upgraded, there was about 4 different versions floating around early on. To make the issue more complicated, for like the first week the "upgrade" from PD9 to PD10 was a full PD10 package and key from apparently a wrong file hosted on the website, a few enjoyed that freebie. These users had their PD9 and PD10 coexist after the upgrade while others later on that purchased the same upgrade got PD9 removed during the PD10 install process.

Others report they had to reinstall PD9 for PD10 upgrade.
Quote: That's one of those things that has always got to me. Also with the upgrade I have already found out that you must install PD9 AND enter the key before PD10 upgrade will start the install process.... so I would have been better off buying the full package and will probably have to...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19558.page#102723

As with many things PD related, everyone has a "unique" experience, that is why I echoed a word of caution.

Jeff
BobG65 [Avatar]
[Post New]
HalCon, SkullyHB and JL_JL,
Thanks for your advice. I'm going for the retail pack to be "safe". I may return!

Cheers

Bob
[Post New]
Per Cyberlink FAQ

If you purchased the upgrade version of CyberLink PowerDirector:

To install an upgrade version of CyberLink PowerDirector, a previous version of the program must be installed.

But if you have the Ultra or Deluxe version of PowerDirector 8, 9, you will be asked to enter your original Ultra/Deluxe serial number (activation key) during installation if you don’t have it installed.
amandasmith [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 03:30 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Check the following information http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19597.page#102954

Hope this information helps you.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Yep... on a clean Window 7 32 to 64 bit install I had to install PD9 before it would install the PD10 upgrade therefore I recommend paying the extra for the full blown version not the upgrade.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
BobG65 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you all for the responses,

I went for the full retail version. I used the 4 CL cleaners and the installation went without a hitch. I feel the extra £10.00 was worth every penny. I only used PD 9 Ultra for about 6 months but allready I can see the improvements in PD 10 are worth the upgrade even if I don't use 3D, but I bet I do

Thanks for all your advice it helped a lot.

Bob