Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
External Recording of Sound - PD9
[Post New]
I'd like to purchase an external vocal recorder to pick up vocals away from the camera position, there appear to be many on the market, ebay has loads, prices from £16 upwards ... but where to begin. I dont need top end! but I do want a good clear recording that I can then transfer to PD9 ...

This one caught my eye HERE

Any help or suggestions welcome, Many thanks in advance.

Mark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2012 15:28

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark -

I'm no expert on these things, but I know someone who is! He's given me some great advice on microphones & video production. He's carried out a lot of testing of video/microphone gear & loves sharing his knowledge & experience.

You could contact him by PM through his YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BigEric42 - he's also a DZ forum member where you can send him a PM http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/user/list/6300.page

For some reason, I can't locate the member listing for this forum.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Cheers Tony, will have a look, Many thanks :
[Post New]
I use this method myself. My camera doesn't have a mic input, and I like the flexibility of not having my subjects tethered to my camera anyways.

I bought an Olympus WM-400s on Amazon for around $60 US. It's got 1GB of storage (which is plenty for me), and records in Windows Media format in full stereo. I primarily use it with a Tascam ts-st1 stereo mic that I picked up for about $30. Together they give a nice clear sound in a small, portable package. I don't claim to be an expert, but this configuration works for me.

The fun part is syncing the audio with the video. But I use the ambient sound from the camera's built-in mic and fiddle with the secondary audio until the echo goes away, then mute the camera audio. PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The fun part is syncing the audio with the video. But I use the ambient sound from the camera's built-in mic and fiddle with the secondary audio until the echo goes away, then mute the camera audio.

Just a suggestion, to help sync audio. If you film a person at the beginning of the video that claps their hands one time.
You will have a sharp sound and a visual that you can sync.

Of course the pros use a clapper board.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote:
Just a suggestion, to help sync audio. If you film a person at the beginning of the video that claps their hands one time.
You will have a sharp sound and a visual that you can sync.

Of course the pros use a clapper board.

Clapping seems like a good idea, but I don't think it's very precise and sadly I lack the ear or reflexes to match it up properly. Working with audio is always more of a chalange for me than video. I do need to get some sort of clapper board, as that would make it much easier. PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Today, I am awaiting a used Zoom H2, $75 US. Very good reviews and can be used for music, as well as voice. I wanted a steady sound source, rather than a camera in front of a bass guitar, then in front of the drummer, you can hear the sound mix from the cameras wandering. And yes, syncing the A with the V is time-consuming. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT