Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Interesting, I'm not sure why double clicking a file name was even associated with using the command line in this thread as it is not. There is no "double mouse click" equivalent in command line interface as the double click is in fact a combination of a file picker and a list of registered file types. Command line interface is only interaction from a form of lines of text, typed, passed, or from an input files.

But I guess I agree with CL's easy out statement of launching PD from a Windows command line/arguments via text input is not supported. Namely from a command window cmd with C:\> prompt is not supported, like C:\>PDR.exe test.pds which in no way is equivalent to double clicking a file!

Jeff

Indeed! I mentioned (I think) the double clicking only, as from the command line and double clicking are different things.
PDR(.exe) is not even recognized in command line mode as a command. In the windows default apps list there are a number of extensions coupled to PDR, including PDS, PDL (library) and PDM (menu). In my system PDM and PDL work fine: PDR is started when files with that extention are double clicked. As mentioned the PDS (project) files sometimes open correctly.
At least we have confirmation from CL :
There is no option available to reverse Chroma key.
If it is that you want is to single out one object (not a colour) then maybe masking it is best way to get it done. Depending on how much this objects moves around the screen, you may define a custom selection mask, and with keyframes, move the mask along with the object movements.
FYI
I received a reaction from CL product support with confirmation that starting PD by clicking on a PDS file is not supported.

With reference to your concerns, please be advised that after further checking with the engineering team, PowerDirector does not support the operation via the Windows command line/arguments. The normal software functionality of using the command line is not guaranteed nor offered in CyberLink software.
Well, I have checked, in some not all clips I have a black border too. I don’t know why and how, but when i open the clip in the crop/zoom/pan designer, it becomes very clear that the scale of the clip is smaller than it should/might be. When I adjust the scaling from 1.000 to 0.990 the border is gone.

Maybe an expert can tell us what is happening here.

original:

after zoom 0.990
When I upload videos to YouTube, I never use the PD built-in option.
I export / produce the video to my local disk, check it out, and then manually upload it to YouTube.
The advantage of this approach is, that you are able to check whether the export is all okay and can be uploaded. Another advantage when using the YouTube upload is that it enables you to directly get the settings right: thumbnails, title, description, visibility, restrictions etc.
Have a look at the file format specification YouTube advises. If you use those when producing your video, it may overall take less time to get the video online.

If you want to use the PD upload, (after all, that is why it is there), others may be able help you getting to the right procedure.
Neither can I.
Maybe share a bit of this file with the border here (if you feel confortable sharing), so that we can see the same for ourselves?
The masking or zooming is for now the solution I would say
Thanks for the testing.
In my project the samples files were both in the CL sample directory and later also in packed project folder.
I received a reaction from CL, telling me to complete uninstall PD21, which I did.
After installation is created a small project with 2 images in the timeline, saved it and closed PD and started PD by clicking on the project file. PD opened the image files in the mediaroom and hung with the message Update timeline data 60%
I have shared the project and the information from the Windows Hang reports (before and after reinstallation) with CL.
It is not a big deal, since I still can open the project from with PD, but apparently there is something wrong with my Windows installation or with the PD installation, which I'd like to have resolved.
The editing workflow -as you say- depends on the type of project and the material available.
If the music is leading, e.g. you want the clips to change with the beat of the music, then it make sense to start with that music, put it in the timeline, think about the length of the total video and whether you need to extend the music or add more pieces. Maybe put the music in track 3 leaving space in track 1 and 2 for clips; or in 4, 5 of course depending on the amount of video tracks you may need.
If it is the beat that leads you to add clips, then it make sense to set markers using music beat marker. With these markers it is easier to define the start and end of the clips.
Depending on the nature and amount of video clips, you can either drag the directly into the timeline, or use the precut tool. It will help if you have timed the beat and know how many frames or seconds sits between the markers. You can define the (multi) trim pieces with the same length. Putting these precut pieces into the timeline would be faster and easier.
Testing the result and adjusting where you have missed a beat, always makes sense. I would also save the project in between, just to make sure that you don’t have to redo everything when something happens.
I would then look at the various video clips and check whether they need adjustments, like colours, stabilisation, maybe colour matching and LUTS.
The transitions always come last. Looking at professionals works you will see that they use transitions too often and only when it improves the results. And when music is leading you may not undo the effect by using a (long) transition. But if you apply a transition, use cross. The overlap will make the video shorter and your beats out of sync.

When the video is leading, depending on the amount and length of source clips available it may make sense to use the precut tool and so also remove the pieces you done want to use. It might also make selecting the right clip for the right moment on the time line a bit easier, when you use alias instead of precut0001 etc. the clips are sorted by alias so if you find a clever scheme for the names it will help you finding the right clips.
Remember to save the project regularly or to set the auto save with a useful low interval.
Do the colour and other corrections, as described.
The music can be added later and made to the right length if need be. The voice over can be added.
And again transitions come last.

The above is an approach that has worked for me. But it strongly depends on the nature of the material, the product and also your preferences😊
Hope this helps.
Hmm. Does this clip have a border when positioned in track 1? Or the put it differently: does the clip itself have this black border? Does a border show when you play the clip in a media player? It looks like it does have a border, because masking it will remove it.
V12 and V16 do not show a border for this very same clip? IF so, that is a bit weird, right? But not unlikely because PD has it flaws and bugs. If V12 and V16 do not and v21 (or the up-to-date V365) show the border, can you share a bit of that clip with us?

The other option is to zoom in a bit so that the border is not visible, the picture will become a little larger.
This is about PD version: 21.5.3125.1
Triggered by a question on this forum about the file references in a project files, I have had a close look at how that currently (in the latest version) is done. While testing I noticed the following:
  1. While opening a project, with media files missing. These missing files are resolved with the browse. The new project file (when saved) contains the new folder/file names. But not all filenames are changed. There are still references in the project file to the old file location
  2. Opening a project from within PD with file references resolved works fine
  3. Opening a project from the command line (hence by clicking on the project icon in a folder, when nothing has happened with the media file references in the project file, will most of the times open PD correctly, sometimes it hangs with update time line data.
  4. Opening a project from the command line, with media files missing will result in pd opening and reporting that a file is missing allowing to browse. After clicking browse PD hangs
  5. Opening a project from the command line with a project that has fixed media file references, but still wrong references in the project file, results in PD opening and loading but hanging with the status message: update time line data.
*) hanging is: program not responding.
I am wondering (as always) whether it is me, or whether there is something wrong with the way PD is started from the command line. Maybe some of you have experienced the same, or will be able to reproduce as I did this by:
  • Creating a small project, say with 2 sample media files in the timeline.
  • Saving the project to a separate folder (project TESTA in folder TESTA)
  • Closing PD
  • Renaming the folder. (folder TESTA becomes TESTB)
  • Opening PD and the project (TESTA), and browse to the new folder (TESTB) where the files are found
  • After the project has been loaded, saving it with a different project name (project TESTB)
  • Closing PD and try starting both the project TESTA, TESTB and see what happens.
My system is completely up to date, all drivers, etc.

I have reported this issue to technical support. I will forget about the whole thing if they come back asking for more information (which is totally unnecessary), or with the statement that users are not supposed to start the program by clicking on a project file name, because it is not fully supported.
Try browsing YouTube for ' green screen rain in window' and see whether there is something that you like
The are several methods available:
Go to the frame you want to freeze (press “end” key to go to last frame) and
press the snapshot icon (camera) under the preview screen; The snapshot will be added to the media room and can be added to the time line and the duration can be adjusted with the pointer on the frame open the menu with the right mouse and select from Edit Video -> Freeze frame; The snapshot will immediately be added to the timeline (and the media room) and the duration can be adjusted.
Ad 1: Has the advantage that you can give the snapshot file a name and point it to a specific folder
Ad 2: Is faster
If you have to add a freeze frame frequently, it makes sense to use option 2 and set a hot-key for freeze frame (I have set it to alt-f). Go to “Edit menu”, select “key board hotkeys” and “customize”, in the “workspace” tab you will find the Freeze hot key not set be default.
PD365 scans your drive at special places for titles, fx, downloads etc, so that it can display them all-in the various rooms. It would be interesting to understand whether you experience the problem only when you open the FX room, or that it happens when you open other rooms too. Given the “time” it need to scan the drive, it is also good to understand what kind of disks you have (to understand whether they are fast or not (freezing may also mean that it is busy scanning).
And… it would be good to understand whether you have uninstalled PD18 or that you still have it in operation and / or whether you did a complete clean installation. I recon that you have updates all drivers etc. You may want to share a DXDiag.txt file here so that we can look with you to see what can be done.
Lastly the remark that by the looks of it your PC may be a little slow to cope wit hall PD365 features.
If you video is more static, then it is possible to use the blur function from the FX-room. Add a number of FX-tracks to the timeline and move the required number of fx blur or mozaic to each of the fx tracks and with modify position the blur on the right spots
If your objects are moving I suggest you open the motion tracker and add a tracker for each of the objects required. You can either apply the blur or a mozaic to each.
CL support came back to me today.
They point to the news page
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/whats-new.html
this is of course a very disappointing reaction. CL does very well know that we know were to find this news page,
pand should know that we are actually are looking for the change log for bugs. And the actual changes to the software.
Now we ar sometimes stumbling and have to run some tests to see whether a reported issue has been tackled or not.
I have explained this again in my reply.
It looks like the scene detection tool works only on one clip at the time. The only likely solution is to drag them all into the timeline, export them into one (long) clip, and do the scene selection from there. A bit of an overkill but if you have a lot of clips and if you can use the SVRT (all the clips the same format specs), then is may be doable?
Or,
Step 1: Drag the image you want to insert to the timeline, such that the image touches the start of the second video clip before which you want to insert the imageand a blue line becomes visible, this indicates that the start of the image is fully aligned with the start of the clip (hence the end of the previous clip)
Step 2: in the menu that is opening select: insert and move all clips
Step 3: by stretching the image, you effectively want to change its duration, so select the image and click on the clock icon above the timeline and change the duration settings. You can probably do that more precisely than by stretching, although stretching as Koen41 and AVPlayVideo write, might be faster
I guess that we are all wondering and trying to guess what it is you are really experiencing? Unless you press the render preview button (all the time), for which there is no reason other than to “quickly” see how a large number of complex changes to the clips will look like when played as a video in the preview screen, the process and displaying of small edits as you state, does not take much time and PD allows -to my experience- a very reasonable fast editing process, even when keyframes are being used and a fair number of effects and other alterations to the clips.
But maybe we overlook something, so can you explain what kind of editing you do, what type of input material, how many tracks and what kind and how many effects and keyframes? It would also be good to understand what kind of computer you use to do this editing? There are many factors that can be of influence of a speedy editing process.
Indeed.

Again, I have asked CL to please publish a change log with each new version/release.

They must have a list for internal purposes, it would help a great deal if we have insight and it helps mitigating much confusion.
It appears that in my version: 21.5.3107.0 the text to the button is visible.
I don’t think it is really necessary to delete the words you don’t want to hear. If you want to replace them by beeps, then it may be sufficient to look for a beep in the audio library, and put it in a track below the video/audio track, and make sure that it sounds hard enough to over-sound the words in the video/Audio track.
In this fashion you don’t have to separate the video and audio, just overlay the words with a loud beep.

Once you have the right beep tone in the lower track, you can simply sopy the sound and place it on the next spot / word that has to be over sounded. You can do this by CTRL-C and CTRL-V, but also by pressing the D key and click the audio-sound and drag it (while keeeping the D pressed) to the new spot.

Ich glaube nicht, dass es wirklich notwendig ist, die Wörter zu löschen, die man nicht hören möchte. Wenn Sie sie durch Signaltöne ersetzen möchten, reicht es möglicherweise aus, in der Audiobibliothek nach einem Signalton zu suchen und ihn in eine Spur unterhalb der Video-/Audiospur einzufügen. Stellen Sie sicher, dass er laut genug klingt, um die Wörter in der Video-/Audiospur zu übertönen.
Auf diese Weise sollen Sie Video und Audio am besten nicht trennen, sondern überlagern die Wörter einfach mit einem lauten Piepton.

Sobald Sie den richtigen Piepton in der unteren Spur haben, können Sie den Ton einfach kopieren und an der nächsten Stelle/Wort platzieren, die übertont werden soll. Sie können dies mit STRG-C und STRG-V tun, aber auch, indem Sie die D-Taste drücken, auf den Audio-Sound klicken und ihn (während Sie die D-Taste gedrückt halten) an die neue Stelle ziehen.
Go to: