Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Starting PD 365 by clicking on the project file does not always work
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
This is about PD version: 21.5.3125.1
Triggered by a question on this forum about the file references in a project files, I have had a close look at how that currently (in the latest version) is done. While testing I noticed the following:
  1. While opening a project, with media files missing. These missing files are resolved with the browse. The new project file (when saved) contains the new folder/file names. But not all filenames are changed. There are still references in the project file to the old file location
  2. Opening a project from within PD with file references resolved works fine
  3. Opening a project from the command line (hence by clicking on the project icon in a folder, when nothing has happened with the media file references in the project file, will most of the times open PD correctly, sometimes it hangs with update time line data.
  4. Opening a project from the command line, with media files missing will result in pd opening and reporting that a file is missing allowing to browse. After clicking browse PD hangs
  5. Opening a project from the command line with a project that has fixed media file references, but still wrong references in the project file, results in PD opening and loading but hanging with the status message: update time line data.
*) hanging is: program not responding.
I am wondering (as always) whether it is me, or whether there is something wrong with the way PD is started from the command line. Maybe some of you have experienced the same, or will be able to reproduce as I did this by:
  • Creating a small project, say with 2 sample media files in the timeline.
  • Saving the project to a separate folder (project TESTA in folder TESTA)
  • Closing PD
  • Renaming the folder. (folder TESTA becomes TESTB)
  • Opening PD and the project (TESTA), and browse to the new folder (TESTB) where the files are found
  • After the project has been loaded, saving it with a different project name (project TESTB)
  • Closing PD and try starting both the project TESTA, TESTB and see what happens.
My system is completely up to date, all drivers, etc.

I have reported this issue to technical support. I will forget about the whole thing if they come back asking for more information (which is totally unnecessary), or with the statement that users are not supposed to start the program by clicking on a project file name, because it is not fully supported.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Warry. I've tried to replicate your results but so far I haven't been able to. Maybe I found a different issue though.

At first I created a Test A project in a Test A folder and used sample clips in the root directory of the same drive. There were no problems opening that project when double clicking it after renaming the Test A folder to Test B, and no issues when opening the new Test B project from the same folder.

I then moved the clips from B:\ to B:\Test B and both projects opened normally even though the file pointers no longer referenced the correct location. I assume it's because PD was able to find them in the same folder as the project. This was true even after I changed the Import folder setting to a different drive.

I then created a new folder called Sample Clips and moved the clips there, and this time PD was unable to locate them. I went through the steps of creating a Test B1 project but again, everything went normally whether I opened the project from within PD or double-clicked on it in File Explorer.

In your tests, what folder are the sample clips located in? TESTA/B or a separate folder?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the testing.
In my project the samples files were both in the CL sample directory and later also in packed project folder.
I received a reaction from CL, telling me to complete uninstall PD21, which I did.
After installation is created a small project with 2 images in the timeline, saved it and closed PD and started PD by clicking on the project file. PD opened the image files in the mediaroom and hung with the message Update timeline data 60%
I have shared the project and the information from the Windows Hang reports (before and after reinstallation) with CL.
It is not a big deal, since I still can open the project from with PD, but apparently there is something wrong with my Windows installation or with the PD installation, which I'd like to have resolved.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 11. 2023 04:09

Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI
I received a reaction from CL product support with confirmation that starting PD by clicking on a PDS file is not supported.

With reference to your concerns, please be advised that after further checking with the engineering team, PowerDirector does not support the operation via the Windows command line/arguments. The normal software functionality of using the command line is not guaranteed nor offered in CyberLink software.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote FYI
I received a reaction from CL product support with confirmation that starting PD by clicking on a PDS file is not supported.

With reference to your concerns, please be advised that after further checking with the engineering team, PowerDirector does not support the operation via the Windows command line/arguments. The normal software functionality of using the command line is not guaranteed nor offered in CyberLink software.

Interesting, I'm not sure why double clicking a file name was even associated with using the command line in this thread as it is not. There is no "double mouse click" equivalent in command line interface as the double click is in fact a combination of a file picker and a list of registered file types. Command line interface is only interaction from a form of lines of text, typed, passed, or from an input files.

But I guess I agree with CL's easy out statement of launching PD from a Windows command line/arguments via text input is not supported. Namely from a command window cmd with C:\> prompt is not supported, like C:\>PDR.exe test.pds which in no way is equivalent to double clicking a file!

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]

Interesting, I'm not sure why double clicking a file name was even associated with using the command line in this thread as it is not. There is no "double mouse click" equivalent in command line interface as the double click is in fact a combination of a file picker and a list of registered file types. Command line interface is only interaction from a form of lines of text, typed, passed, or from an input files.

But I guess I agree with CL's easy out statement of launching PD from a Windows command line/arguments via text input is not supported. Namely from a command window cmd with C:\> prompt is not supported, like C:\>PDR.exe test.pds which in no way is equivalent to double clicking a file!

Jeff

Indeed! I mentioned (I think) the double clicking only, as from the command line and double clicking are different things.
PDR(.exe) is not even recognized in command line mode as a command. In the windows default apps list there are a number of extensions coupled to PDR, including PDS, PDL (library) and PDM (menu). In my system PDM and PDL work fine: PDR is started when files with that extention are double clicked. As mentioned the PDS (project) files sometimes open correctly.
At least we have confirmation from CL :
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Indeed! I mentioned (I think) the double clicking only, as from the command line and double clicking are different things.
PDR(.exe) is not even recognized in command line mode as a command. In the windows default apps list there are a number of extensions coupled to PDR, including PDS, PDL (library) and PDM (menu). In my system PDM and PDL work fine: PDR is started when files with that extention are double clicked. As mentioned the PDS (project) files sometimes open correctly.
At least we have confirmation from CL :

It was given as example syntax only, you'd obviously have to give the proper path for the command, like "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector21\"pdr.exe and then a list of launch arguments or modify your default path. Again, this true CLI it is not the same as double clicking a pds file.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 15. 2023 09:22