Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

I think tomasc and Warry response might be missing the main point wlammert post.

I think the main crux of the post is, will CL offer a perpetual version of PD22 or go the way of ColorDirector and no longer offer a perpetual purchase option. So wlammert would like to buy PD21 now so at least they have the most recent perpetual version to bridge them 2 years for another purchase decision. I guess the assumption would be that one can't buy PD21 perpetual once PD22 is released if PD22 has no perpetual purchase option. I don't see this as really a valid assumption, there are ways, at least in the past. As such, to be safe, wlammert idea to purchase PD21 perpetual within a 30 day window of PD22 release as a hedge is potentially viable.

Jeff

Jeff is right of course. It is very well possible that CL surprises us with such a move. Would Amazon.com also immediately stop selling boxes with 21 ultimate?
My idea: don't go for 21. It will take a few days or weeks given history before a new version will be released. I would then wait even a bit longer until there are no severe issues mentioned with this new release. And you may want to check the differences between 20 and 22, and look carefully whether it is worth your while to obtain the new version. Likely there will be a special upgrade price. Or even a discount in a few months. If you were patient enough to wait for 22, and you are still able to do everything you need with 20, it will only in the benefits of CL that you go for 22 soon, so... why not wait a bit longer.
There are many reasons why “saved title” can "disappear". Maybe you find your reason below, else please share more details so that we may be able to help.
Note that saved titles appear in the title room when CUSTOM is selected
  • If a title made for a specific aspect ratio (say 16:9) it will not appear in the custom title list when another aspect ratio (say 9:16) has been set;
  • PD has been re-installed and the “delete all user information” (or words to that effect) has been selected. In the user\documents\cyberlink\powerdirector\vv.vv folder custom stuff, including the saved titles will be deleted during uninstall. So, do save this folder before re-installation, and after installation move back what you want to keep
  • The above is also applicable when moving to a new PC or after reinstallation of the operating system. Then also you should make a backup of the mentioned folder(s) and restore them after installation of PD, and
  • The above may also happen (it has sometimes been reported) when moving to a new version of PD.
  • The installation software should leave the (previous) custom folders alone, AND recognise them when opening the new version. That has not always happened. Or the mentioned folders have been deleted (moved) by some other process or human.
--> Many of this is also true for other saved features.
  • From the above we have learned that it is always a good idea to have a backup of the CyberLink folders.
Hope this helps.
Otherwise, let us know what you situation is.
One could submit to CL support, I'd doubt any real resolution would be forthcoming. Probably best to stick with PD16 or accept the fact you need to encode the entire timeline for acceptable results is my view of your issue.

If I was a CL employee (and I was allowed to read this forum) I would be very appalled and upset reading this. Users apparently have given up hope that there will be any repairs for bugs and flaws that are obviously already around for 3 or more versions.

Or, I would be very satisfied and pleased. Bugs are accepted, let’s continue adding stickers and fonts.

So far, I have seen that CL support very responsive, and sometimes they listen. I would certainly report the problem and see what happens.
Maybe I can chime in:

A *.PDS file is a file in which PD stores all project relevant information. You make this file by saving the project (that is all information from the media room, all clips in the timeline, and all changes and effects applied in the timeline).
This allows you to stop working at a project and also to get it back into PD (load project). The beauty is that PD saves everything and you are ready to rebegin the project work. Mind you, when you expect to save the project for a longer time, and also expect that the original media files may be moving to other folders, it is (always) very wise to PACK the project. Packing a project does the same as saving a project, but the packed project will also contain all and every single media file used in the project. It will all be saved in the folder you assign during the packing.
A PDF file is only of use for PowerDirector.

It is good to know that saving a project is something very different from exporting to a video file, like the MP4 you mention. PDS and MP4 files are different beasts: PDS is project, MP4 is video file.
These files can have the same name. E.q. test.pds (the project) and test.mp4 (the video). They can live happily next to each other.
The MP4 file (and any other media file, like MP2, AVI, etc) will be made by PD when you select the export function. There you can also select the video type (like MP4), the resolution (the higher the better picture and the more storage required).
A MP4 file can be played by a wide range of apps, and online services like YouTube.

Hope this makes sense to you.
Hi,
At the end of the Slideshow creation, make sure to select Advance Editing. The result will be added to the timeline, so that it can be part of a larger production.
You can always change the slide show select the show and select from just above the timeline: “Slideshow” to edit the show, or Customize to go straight into the customization of the slideshow creator, alternatively select the show in the timeline and right click and select Edit in Slideshow creator, or remove slide show effect.

This is what the manual writes:
https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/365/win/enu/06_07_00_creating_slideshows.html?q=slideshow

FAQ #7 a little dated for PD21, this statement:
"- Run on a higher-end computer with more memory and 64-bit OS for editing complex HD projects."
PD has not run on a 32-bit platform since PD17, that's a 5 year old product!

Jeff

I think that there is something wrong with the marketing and communication in general. Look at the announcement for the new forum, with changed wording, the communication around the various products and their version number. I received an email from CL yesterday about the August release, mentioning the 2023 July release in the top and referring to odd versions of the various products. The communication around the stuff in the Director Zone etc. It looks like both the sales, documentation, the development and test departments need to be addressed.
Thanks Jeff, very helpful.
Much appreciated!
And when you use the upload feature of YouTube itself, and/or use the YouTube content editor, you always have the option to edit and change the title of you video. The filename that is used for the upload cannot be changed on the YouTube platform.
And for completness sake: after the export/production from PD, you can of course always change the filename of the produced video.
Thanks Jeff, for this good overview. The conclusion is very clear.
Looking back at the communications we had a few weeks ago on performance, please allow me the following questions for clarification. Mainly about the Windows and PD settings, I am wondering whether these settings make any difference on the results of your comparison?
  • Which driver do you use: Studio or Gaming, and would it make any difference?
  • Did you use any of the windows (System, Display, Graphics) settings? They can be defined per app individually: 1) let Windows decide, 2) Power saving GPU: intel (in my case), 3) High performance, GPU is NVIDIA…., and 4) Don’t use optimisations for windowed games…..
  • And the PD-settings for hardware acceleration, did you use either or both the Enable OpenCL technology, and/or Enable hardware decoding (I am assuming that the latter has been used😊)
Thanks
Quote Is this only when using the touchscreen? Are there settings to change the behavior of the touchscreen? I can't imagine trying to use PD with a touchscreen only -- the interface is enough of a nightmare with the mouse and keyboard.

i
meant the keyboard I don't think there will be many users using a touchscreen
THAT is the question many of us have, and many other questions. It is good that PD tells us that it uses that source clip rather than the clip with alterarions, but indeed, there shouls be smoe way to swithc the message off.

Suggest you tall CL directly using the Rate us & provide suggestions in the PD file menu. It likely will be too late for the next PD version, but who knows......
Well, I think that many, if not most, users will agree with you that the interface is slow-ish and not fit for the fast and more experienced editors with large workloads. Add to that the PD has a number of flaws in its operation. CL has over the last year made changes to the interface, which sometimes drove the 365 users, who got these changes in their monthly updates without any warning. These changes caused delays in the usage not only because users had to discover how the new contraption would work (if at all), but moreover the changes were not always for the benefit of the fast editors with large workloads. More for the occasional users, who were also in need of a number of the many stickers released every month. Cyberlink apparently expects much from these occasional users, the more demanding users will find their way to other more professional editors. Which is a shame, because PD has a lot of potential.
If you have questions, complaints and suggestions for the CL sales department and the developers, I suggest you use the Rate us & provide suggestion option in the PD file menu, to tell that to Cyberlink directly.
Although strange behavior of and in the timeline has been reported, in most cases PD will produce what is in the timeline. Sometime there are leftovers from the editing process somewhere in the timeline that can only be found when zooming in.
what I can think of without seeing the actual timeline are the following suggestions:
  • start looking around this 34 secs mark as you mention, are there in any track any clips left.
  • Try to delete the empty tracks to see whether there are more tracks than the 3 that are usually left
  • check the original clip that plays around the 34 sec mark to see whether it has the expected audio and nothing else
  • I guess that you have tried saving the project, closing and restarting PD and loading the project again
  • Try to mute the audio tracks and produce to see whether the audio is still there
  • or even add some audio deliberately around the 34 spot and see what happens
  • and as a last resort, nu install and reinstall PD, checking whether you have the most recent version
  • if that does not work, you might consider sharing the project in the forum, or with customer support of CL to seee whether they can help out.
I understand that you need to cut off a part of the top that not equal to the part at the bottom that need to be cut off?

Maybe you can use the mask function which allows you to select precisely that part of the video you need.
However, because, when cropping the clip will "automatically" fill the screen, after the masking you may need to zoom in in order have the clip filling the screen again.
Given the announcement that CL is launching a new Feedback Forum

The positive thing is that CL is calling the new Forum a FEEDBACK forum; indicating that all what is written there, is considered feedback and will be looked at by CL staff.

Given the huge amount of very usefull information, collected from the feedback of users over the many years, I hope and trust that all what is written on the current community forum will be copied and made available in the new forum too.

Some of the small file size changes are to be expected as output is variable bitrate vs constant. A tall order going from ~4.5Mbps sample files to 37 and/or 50Mbps output.
The large 38% difference for your MPEG2 case is odd indeed, but nothing GPU related there, as it is not supported. Output obviously didn't achieve 25Mbps avg setting.
I couldn't decode your naming convention, for instance hevc-4k-27-37-fast-gpu to me seems like the 27 should be 25 for 25fps perhaps, similar with avc-m2tsxxxxx names.

Jeff

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I have included more clear format specs below and also reran the test. I used all the PD sample files, images, sound etc. , selected them all and dragged them to the time line. The clip is 00:05:36:16 long, using PAL 50 FPS.
The yellow % are the times faster between PD20 and PD21. The green % is the difference between pd21.3 and previous PC, and PD21.5 and current PC.
What strikes me when I compare the export times with previous 21 versions, 21.5..3125.1 is overall a bit faster. I know that these results are only valid for comparison within my own environment.
For what it is worth:

This is very interesting. When moving between PD versions and PC versions, I did some testing too.
I used from the sample files: The mountainbiker.mp4 and the Skateboard 01.mp4 and put a transition: Overlapping shape 02 inbetween
In took a number of output formats (working with PAL).
For my system it gave me the impression that it would take me less time to get the work done.
I am a bit puzzled about the file sizes, but I always get different file size when I rerun the export with same parameters.

look here
https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software/1182/adding-transitions-between-two-clips

and here
https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/365/win/enu/15_01_00_adding_transitions_to.html
If you want a black screen and title appearing and disappearing on it, you should start putting a black color board in track 1 and put title(s) in track 2.
Make the color board 10 sec long.

Colors boards are in the media room:
https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/365/win/enu/03_02_01_media_rooms.html

Then add titles as the moderator explained.
It also helps looking for tutorials (there are plenty) like here:
https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/powerdirector-video-editing-software?category=1

have fun

Interesting, I'm not sure why double clicking a file name was even associated with using the command line in this thread as it is not. There is no "double mouse click" equivalent in command line interface as the double click is in fact a combination of a file picker and a list of registered file types. Command line interface is only interaction from a form of lines of text, typed, passed, or from an input files.

But I guess I agree with CL's easy out statement of launching PD from a Windows command line/arguments via text input is not supported. Namely from a command window cmd with C:\> prompt is not supported, like C:\>PDR.exe test.pds which in no way is equivalent to double clicking a file!

Jeff

Indeed! I mentioned (I think) the double clicking only, as from the command line and double clicking are different things.
PDR(.exe) is not even recognized in command line mode as a command. In the windows default apps list there are a number of extensions coupled to PDR, including PDS, PDL (library) and PDM (menu). In my system PDM and PDL work fine: PDR is started when files with that extention are double clicked. As mentioned the PDS (project) files sometimes open correctly.
At least we have confirmation from CL :
Go to: