Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi,
Sounds like you disc drive firmware may need updating, as this and your GPU driver need to be updated to play Blu-rays conitnually. See this as example:

http://eng.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17381/~/how-do-i-update-the-firmware-on-my-blu-ray-player%3F

Dave
Hi,

Just move the mouse to the left or right side of the window.

Dave
Hello,

First thing...if you can't provide a proof of purchase for PowerDVD 13, you can't complain that you can't get the key updated. This is normal for every software company. Every company actually. No one gives away their product based on an "explanation" of "I lost it".

Second, if you bought PowerDVD 15, what is the problem? Why not use the more recent version?

Dave
Hello,

It is referring to 4K video support, which is known as Ultra HD video. If you are looking to play Ultra HD Blu-ray, you need the Ultra version of PowerDVD 17 or 18. You also need to ensure your computer meets the system requirements. They are quite particular.

Dave
Hello,

Well what exact version did you buy? Only the Ultra version supports Blu-ray playback. Sounds like you purchased the Deluxe version maybe.

Dave
Hello,
So many people keep making this assumption, that it is just about HDCP 2.2. The DRM protection for UHD BDs is different and more complex, because it is a different media format and technology, one that is known for being compromised, i.e. ripping. The UHD BD playback on a PC requires CPU level content protection, on top of the HDCP 2.2 for the output connections. An extra level of DRM protection in the hardware. It isn't CyberLink that created that security requirement, by the way.

FYI, PowerDVD already supports the same HDR video playback over HDCP 2.2 that Netflix does: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=21821&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=hdr

Dave
Hello,

No, NVIDIA cards do not support UHD playback yet. It is not "locked out" as you suggest though. See this thread and join his voice to make the request.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76081.page

Dave
Hello,

Well, I believe you are right that it is not CyberLink's choice/fault (they would not want to reduce their market), so it should be obvious who you should talk to to request the feature. I fear they are not interested though, as the technology required is quite strict and I'm sure they are making most of their money from gaming PCs support. I doubt there is much appetite for it. Streaming is the future.

Dave
Hi,

You're ridiculous and your lack of understanding of technology is obvious, not to mention your flawed logic. It is an issue with your computer, most likely Windows and how it is dealing with the updated technology in version 18. Thinking that customer support would lie to you privately that no one else has experienced the same issue illustrates the colour of the sky it your world.

Go ahead and take advantage of the 30 money back guarantee. It is obvious you are posting about every little problem with your computer to get much needed attention. Later

David
Hi.

It doesn't. No one gets the same results you do, so what does that mean? It is more likely an issue with your specific computer.

From what I saw in both your other threads, it really sounds like you need to update your drivers. Those are telltale signs that they are out of date, since PowerDVD 18 is running all the latest codecs, etc.

If that fails to work, try contacting technical support so they can figure out what is wrong. You should also provide you DXDiag file.

Dave
Hi Kilroy,

All movie and TV show names load fine in my PowerDVD 18. It looks like PowerDVD is having issue accessing information over your network for some reason.

Dave

Seems like they want you to either make a mini HTPC or force you to buy an standalone ultra HD player. Having to plug your monitor or tv directly into your motherboard just to playback ultra HD content seems a bit rediculous and only that it suppirts 7th gen or higher Intel. This doesn't seem well thought out lol

Yeah...the movie studios try to make it difficult. I am sure CyberLink wishes it was easier, so they can sell more copies of PowerDVD.
Hello,

This was added in PowerDirector 15, i.e. 9:16 aspect ratio. So unfortunately it is not available in version 14.

Dave
Hello,

You need to contact CyberLink Customer Service and provide a copy of your invoice and probably a picture of your disc.

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Dave
Hello,

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. From what I have read elsewhere, there is no appetite from other hardware manufacturers to integrate the required DRM required for UHD BD playback. They focus more on gaming and Netflix 4K HDR, which doesn't require the same security technology.

If you want to play UHD BDs on a PC, currently you have to follow this spec: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19860

Dave
Hello,

It is not PowerDVD, it is more likely your PC, especially your graphics card. Makes all the difference. PowerDVD is capable of playing at the best resolution and picture, so if it is not, then it is your hardware.

Dave
Hello,
There is no video quality limitation in the trial version of PowerDVD. But if you are playing a UHD Blu-ray on a stand alone player, and Blu-ray with PowerDVD on your computer, of course the quality will be reduced. UHD has a resolution 2 to 4 times higher.

Dave
Quote Add me to the list of people that desperately want the ability to play 4K Blu-Ray disks with an Nvidia card. I have all the other specs (including a Coffee Lake processor and the Pioneer 4K drive) but PowerDVD won't play any of my 4K disks. It's not like I'm going to enable and re-configure my whole system to use the built-in Intel graphics for one thing.

I'm not going to be getting PowerDVD 18 (which we all know is due any day) unless this is resolved.

Hello,

I wouldn't hold your breath. You for some reason think it is CyberLink's decision to not support specific hardware for UHD disc playback. That, from a business perpective, makes no sense. If the hardware support was available, PowerDVD would of course support it. Think about it. Why would the company want to be the target for all the hate?

Playing 4K HDR video on Netflix and on an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc are not the same. The security requirements (see SGX) for UHD Blu-rays that people want to rip, is a lot more complex and the standards are defined by the Blu-ray Disc Association. i.e. more complex hardware required. It is a lot easier to just design your hardware for gaming and Netflix video, and let another company take all the blame for not supporting UHD BD disc playback. That is what makes clear sense.

Dave

Don't simply ask why support does not continue on a free bundle software for your ASUS device.
You paid all the bucks to ASUS to buy an ASUS device but not cyberlink. "at CYBERLINKs nagging (continual CYBERLINK, not ASUS, nagscreens every time player is used. CYBERLINK was the company who required me to go to a link at CYBERLINKs website to download CYBERLINK software. Not sure how much simpler I can make this for you, but that puts CYBERLINK as the vendor at the first required upgrade.

Do you know what a retail license is and hardware bundle license for a digital software? (if some software has commcercial license (not powerdvd), the pricse will raise more.) Yes, I understand the difference in licenses, this makes no difference as will be explained in the next reply.

If you know the price of a powerdvd retail license, you will understand what you got with an ASUS device is not a retail or full version software. It's just a free bundle for your "convenience". Whereas the software provided by CYBERLINK to "update" my software was full version software -it was the same software provided to Full Licensed users of versions 9 and 10.

Hello,
The original quote from the moderator was about the retail full version that users paid for, so you should not try and compare.

You received an OEM version, which is not a full version. You paid probably $1 for it (at most) and it has lasted you probably 4 or 5 years. Maybe more?

The reason the software is nagging you to update, is because the AACS keys have expired, and new ones were issued, which was done by the movie studios, not by CyberLink.

PowerDVD is looking for the new keys, but they are not available because the OEM license from your drive manufacturer has ended. This is what it is telling you. You are aiming the blame at CyberLink (understand why, but it is misguided) but it was your drive manufacturer's decision to stop providing the new keys. You should ask them for a newer OEM version of PowerDVD that they give when buying a new drive. You got an update from 10 to 12 previously.

I agree that this should be clearer in the update wording, but it is what it is. The movie studios and the Blu-ray Disc Association really do a lot to try and protect their content, and the hardware and software vendors are left being the bad guys.

Dave
Hi,

I noticed that too that not all the original YouTube resolutions are available sometimes. Though, why in this day and age would you be worried about 480p, when better resolutions are available? Personal choice I guess.

Anyway...can you share which YouTube video you were trying and only received 360p and 720p?

Dave
Hello,

What message did you receive? Try sharing a screenshot of the message.

Dave
Go to: