Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Support for Nvidia/AMD 4K?
AndrewR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2015 16:29 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

Can anyone confirm whether I'll be able to play UHD blu-rays with an AMD Ryzen 1700 and a GTX 1080? It looks like it's still locked down to Intel hardware, which seems a bit bonkers in this day and age...

Thanks!
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

No, NVIDIA cards do not support UHD playback yet. It is not "locked out" as you suggest though. See this thread and join his voice to make the request.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76081.page

Dave
AndrewR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

No, NVIDIA cards do not support UHD playback yet. It is not "locked out" as you suggest though. See this thread and join his voice to make the request.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76081.page

Dave

Has Cyberlink ever confirmed that the problem is at Nvidia's end? The reason I ask is Nvidia and AMD both support UHD playback on Netflix over hdcp 2.2. My understanding is that Cyberlink only supports Intel's SGX hardware, drm for uhd, so it seems a little odd to ask Nvidia and AMD to add Intel's proprietary solution when both brands have their own similar solution and this is clearly acceptable to the big studios...
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
No offense, here is my thought for your reference as I worked in IT industry for several years.
I may probably know software development not much but a bit more than normal users.

Per the 4k BD requirement, I saw there are many players (e.g. Intel, Pioneer, asrock, asus, etc.) in this 4K blu-ray game to give users the hardware solutions to play the movies on PC.

All those hardware/software/driver companies, which have already participated this game, must handle if any bugs/compatibility issues found for HDCP2.2, Intel SGX function, etc. because Windows, hardware drivers, or any related software/hardware always alternates and updates as time goes by.

All those technologies I just mentioned might probably be just part of current 4K blu-ray requirements.

Unfortunately powerdvd is the only certified PC player we know to play the 4K movies so far.
Then, all users come here hold them to take all the responsibilities.

I don't think cyberlink may announce or confirm it's any specific company's responsibility that UHD-BD is not supported on their hardware.
I think this kind of conclusion is not right because there are always many compatibility issues found when I am coding a software. Either I have to wait for bug fixed by others or I have to work around it (only if I am able to work around it.). Not everything can be worked around.

From a software development point of view, all those players (companies) need to have their plan and resouce to support the feature, develop compatibility, and resolve any newly discovered bugs and issues in the future if they join this 4k blu-ray game.

My question would be:
Do all the companies or any specific company we mentioned above have the plan for 4k blu-ray support, or 4k blu-ray must follow those companys solution to change the specification?

Does cyberlink want this then not to support NVIDIA?

Of course, hold cyberlink for all responsibilities is the easiest way for users.
But, I think nothing you expect will come true if we do like this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2018 07:13

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
So many people keep making this assumption, that it is just about HDCP 2.2. The DRM protection for UHD BDs is different and more complex, because it is a different media format and technology, one that is known for being compromised, i.e. ripping. The UHD BD playback on a PC requires CPU level content protection, on top of the HDCP 2.2 for the output connections. An extra level of DRM protection in the hardware. It isn't CyberLink that created that security requirement, by the way.

FYI, PowerDVD already supports the same HDR video playback over HDCP 2.2 that Netflix does: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=21821&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=hdr

Dave
markvergin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2016 08:40 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
this may help

Windows 10 Insider Preview builds- HEVC video codec

scroll down to Improving HEIC support and download link via Windows Store
AndrewR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,
So many people keep making this assumption, that it is just about HDCP 2.2. The DRM protection for UHD BDs is different and more complex, because it is a different media format and technology, one that is known for being compromised, i.e. ripping. The UHD BD playback on a PC requires CPU level content protection, on top of the HDCP 2.2 for the output connections. An extra level of DRM protection in the hardware. It isn't CyberLink that created that security requirement, by the way.

FYI, PowerDVD already supports the same HDR video playback over HDCP 2.2 that Netflix does: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=21821&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=hdr

Dave

I think it's more about PlayReady 3.0 support than hdcp2.2. As I understand it, you need a combination of an end to end hdcp2.2 handshake and PlayReady 3.0 hardware drm. Intel's implementation of PlayReady 3 is SGX (built into Kaby Lake onwards), which is supported by PowerDVD. However, AMD and Nvidia also have their own implementations (SME for Ryzen), which haven't made it into PowerDVD yet.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]

I think it's more about PlayReady 3.0 support than hdcp2.2. As I understand it, you need a combination of an end to end hdcp2.2 handshake and PlayReady 3.0 hardware drm. Intel's implementation of PlayReady 3 is SGX (built into Kaby Lake onwards), which is supported by PowerDVD. However, AMD and Nvidia also have their own implementations (SME for Ryzen), which haven't made it into PowerDVD yet.

All your description is about the Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 DRM compatibility between Intel, NVIDIA, and amd hardware,.

But, are there any public info or offical document says Ultra HD Blu-ray applies exactly PlayReady 3.0 framework to implement all of its content protection?

Ultra HD Blu-ray is Ultra HD Blu-ray.
PlayReady 3.0 is PlayReady 3.0 that a company: "Netflix" applied it for its 4k content playback on Windows.

PlayReady 3.0 is supported by NVIDIA/AMD hardware should not be the reason to ask cyberlink to support nvidia or amd gpu for 4k blu-ray playback. Then, nvidia or amd DOES NOT need to do anything just because they already support PlayReady 3.0.

nvidia or amd claim support PlayReady 3.0 and Netflix content specifically, but they never claim that they support Ultra HD Blu-ray at this moment.

The most important fact is:
Ultra HD Blu-ray is NOT cyberlink's "proprietary" nor Microsoft (which defines PlayReady 3.0), and it is not designed for Windows PC to play since the very begining.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2018 06:54

AndrewR [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you follow that logic through, uhd bluray isn't viable on pc...