Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote:
I've given Rick a different solution.

Dafydd
And I am now back to using ver. 2519. Thanks, Dafydd.

I haven't been brave enough to retry using my digital tuner for capturing, so I have no idea if that problem still exists.
Nothing of any use to my problem, unfortunately. What I did was to remove PD7 and reinstall it. That reset the default capture device to the analog tuner card and fixed the problem.

Now, I have another issue. After reinstalling I tried to reapply the latest update (2519). It asks me if I want to uninstall the previous version. I click yes, but after a few seconds I then get an error message saying: "error 1628: Install not completed" with just an OK button. Clicking it sends me back to the uninstall dialogue box and I'm stuck in a circle jerk unless I click no. PD7 still works, but I can not update it.

I'm going to try the cleanup and reinstall, but I don't hold out much hope. Never had any problem like this when I was beta testing PD7.
I recently upgraded my PC with a Hauppauge 2250 digital tuner for use with Vista Media Center. I still have my ViXS card installed, but it is currently configured as 1 analog and 1 QAM digital tuner. All is working fine in VMC.

I was capturing some VHS-C tapes today using the analog composite inputs on the ViXS card. All was working well until after having captured 3 complete tapes I accidentally clicked on the Digital source in the capture window. It popped up the usual box saying "Detecting digital tuner" except that when it got to 70% the program crashed. Nothing to do but click out of it closing the program.

Now when I open PD7 and click on Capture it immediately tries to initialize that digital tuner and crashes again at 70%. The result is I can no longer access the Capture module in PD7 without crashing the program. Is there an ini file or something I can modify so that it will not try and initialize this tuner so I can get back into the Capture module? The program is worthless without being able to capture. I normally edit in Vegas Pro, but I keep PD7 mainly for its support of analog capture devices, which Vegas does not do. Thanks.
Quote: Dear Rick,
Do you mean it works when import from the folder but fail when import from the file?
Thanks.

Yep.
Some of us prefer to use a program like HDVSplit for capturing video from our HD camcorders. Unfortunately, PD7 does not natively recognize the m2t file format used by some capture programs. But there is a way to import these files into PD7 for editing. One way is to change the file extension from m2t to mpg, but this can be tedious if you have a lot of files to work with. The best way is to capture or move all your m2t files to a folder on your video hard drive (you do have a separate drive for video, right?). Then simply click on the Import Media button and select Import From Folder, navigate to the folder where your m2t files are and select it. Click OK and your m2t files will appear in the Media Library with thumbnails of their content (takes a few seconds to generate so be patient). Edit away as if they were captured within PD7.
I was a beta tester for version 7 and am currently running PD7 on a Vista 64-bit machine. No problems as far as compatibility goes. I am using a Canon HV20 HD camcorder and no problems recognizing the camera in PD7. I have also been able to print back to tape without error.
I am running PD7 on Vista 64 and have had no problems with the program crashing. Was yours a clean install or an upgrade?
I have an HV20 and PD7 and have had no problems wiriting HD videos back to the camcorder.
Quote: Hi mate,

have you tried recording edited footage back to your HV20 in HDV format??

I have the HV30 & PD wont do this correctly, I get a lot of missed footage & gaps.
I did it once while beta testing PD7, but only a short clip. I will have to try it again with a longer one and get back to you.
I own the HV20 and have been using it with PD7 with no problems. One thing I miss from DV is the ability to batch capture. This is not possible with HDV in any NLE I know of.

As far as the camera, if editing is your desire then stick with a MiniDV-based camera. Cameras using the AVCHD format have high computer overhead requirements because the footage is highly compressed. Most NLEs are just catching up with the demand of AVCHD format and still don't handle it as well. The drawbacks to tape are needing to do real-time capture and the vagaries of tape, but the benefits are better picture quality (25mbps vs 17mbps) and an instant backup copy is made as you record (the tape). Once captured you simply archive the tape away for safe-keeping.

The Canon HV30 (HV20 replacement) is an extremely capable camera that has even found its way into movie and film production because of its low price and versatility, and its ability to record in 24p and 30p modes (more film-like). It isn't the greatest low-light performer (no consumer HD cam is), but with decent light it looks stunning. It also has a direct HDMI output so you can capture uncompressed video direct to a deck or see your full HD videos right on your HDTV with HDMI input. Spectacular.
Quote: PS3?
PS3=Sony's Playstation 3 game console, which has a Blu-Ray player built in and is an easy way for people to add that capability to their home DVD viewing system. For much the same price as a dedicated BD player you get a very capable player, game system, and home theatre interface device in one. It also has internet capabilities and can handle AVCHD output.
Quote:
The HDV movies are 1280 X 720 and some are 852X480 - But I can`t import them - WHY ??? It it both AVI and WMV files.

But my Vista Mediaplayers won`t play them either (VLC Player, BSPlayer and Windows Mediaplayer)

Is the Files to new a format to play yet.

1280X720 is a progressive scan format and 852X480 is not an HD format at all. True HD format is 1440X1080 interlaced or progressive. I suspect the files you have may be recorded TV programming perhaps? In any case, any HD-enabled player/editor will have problems with a non-standard format. Windows Media Player has a pretty high fault tolerance so if they won;t play on that then there must be something wrong with them or they have been corrupted somehow.
If you have any custom menus you should back them up as well since they won't automatically be transferred to the newer version.
Bummer. Guess I'll have to make a suggestion for a future release.
Dafydd, I figured that out and created a couple of custom templates. The only problem is that the "add button" feature will only allow a maximum of 6 buttons after which it does nothing. I was hoping to be able to at least create an 8 button per page menu, but I don't understand why the limitation in the first place. Another program I use has no problem with 12 button per page menus. Some of the videos I create have numerous chapters and being limited to just 6 per page makes them unwieldy. Is this a limitation of the current version of PD that I am using?
Is there any way to create a chapter menu with more than 4 buttons per page?
Quote: Does that only work with video clips? I am trying to insert something into the titles, and I can't get it to push everything else back so that it has more time for itself.
Only items on the timeline will be moved. Anything on the overlay, title or audio tracks will have to be moved manually. There is a setting that locks those items to the timeline clip they are associated with, but I think it only works so long as the item doesn't span across 2 or more timeline clips. To lengthen a title item just drag its side in the direction you want to lengthen it or increase its time in the edit box after selecting it.
Quote: Thanks for the advices.

So, in conclusion, would you recommend a MiniDV cam for digital video editing?

Thank you.
Stay cool [[[[]]]]
If you're goal is to keep it easy, cheap and simple, yes. I shoot for money and it is the best all-around solution for me. Not the most convenient, mind you, but definitely the easiest.
Quote: Hmm, I see...
And is there any way I can convert those videos to a more suitable format so I can work with them?
Those of us who do a lot of editing stick with MiniDV cameras. The output quality is better and capturing is less perilous. DVD and HDD cameras are more about convenience than quality or ease of editing. They are mainly aimed at people who simply want to view their recorded footage as-is on a TV and who may only occasionally want to edit them. While they are easier to download to computer (You can usually just drag-and-drop files inside an Explorer window) than MiniDV (which requires real-time capture) the resulting files are harder to work with in an editor and require lots of computer power to deal with. MiniDV can be captured to AVI or MPEG2 format, which is much easier to work with. The MPEG4 and AVCHD files are highly compressed formats and converting them will likely result in a noticeable loss of video quality, not to mention adding another step to the whole process. There are a lot more reasons to stick with tape if editing videos is your goal. If you choose a DVD or HDD camera for getting editable footage, then plan on spending on a very high-end PC to edit on. Also, many of the budget editors like Video Studio or PD may handle these other formats, but don't expect them to do it well on a budget computer.

Edit: I've been told that I should think about buying a Macbook because it is more suitable and adequate to work with videos then Windows. Is this right?
Personally, I'm not a Mac fan. The people that use them for video editing tend to be more pro-level and willing to spend not only more for a computer, but hundreds more for good editing software. I prefer the PC platform simply because it gives me more choices in not only commercial software, but free and shareware than a Mac.
Quote: Is there an easy way to insert some time into the middle of the timeline? I.e, move everything after a certain point forwards, so I have space for something new?
Just insert the something new in between the 2 clips where you want it. You could use a color space as a de facto placeholder, but once you have a clip to go in that space you'd have to remove it.
Go to: