Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video-Audio sync problem related to MP4 files
Joao [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2008 11:53 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone [[[]]]]

First of all, my sincere apologies if this is a repost or if I'm posting my problem in the wrong section.

I have a problem in PowerDirector, in which my MP4 videos recorded by a Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD1 have a audio-video delay; in other words, the audio is not in sync with the video. Although, in some of the previews, like when I'm choosing the media I want to import to the workspace, it has no sync problems at all. But when I'm working with them in the workspace, it has all those sync problems, a few seconds of delay.

Can anyone lend me some help in this situation?
A 'many thanks' in advance. [[[[]]]]

P.S.: It's probably good to inform that viewing these MP4 videos on some players like WMP or MPC, these sync problems also appear. I have to use VLC Media Player to watch them without any issues.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Alabama Joined: Dec 31, 2007 11:49 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Joao,

What are your computers specs?

Just for fun, have you tried to create the disc and view it in a DVD player?
Through Christ,
Chris
Joao [Avatar]
[Post New]
My computer specs are:

Windows XP Professional SP2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IDX
Pentium 4, 2.20GHz 1GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 - 64Mb
HDD 50GB

As a matter of fact, I haven't tried to create the disc, just because I haven't got a whole video made yet. I am trying to edit the MP4 video files I have so I could create one.

thanks. [[[[]]]]
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Alabama Joined: Dec 31, 2007 11:49 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Joao,
Your specs meet the minimum requirements. However, I would suggest hooking yourself up with some more ram. Make sure that PD is the only thing running when you are editing. Check your processes to really make sure.

Even if you are not finished just cerate disc and make sure that the sync problem is still there. Make sure you save it as another name(test) so you do not mess up your original project. Hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2008 07:29

Through Christ,
Chris
Joao [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the help, Chris!

I'm planning to buy a laptop this summer, and its specs are more suitable to work with videos like the ones I have, so I'll be trying when I get it.

Meanwhile, I'll try to create a disc just to test the sync issues, as you said.
I'll keep in touch.

Stay cool [[[[[]]]]
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Have you a friend locally that you can test your video files with - to see if the same issue occurs? Because you're getting this audio delay on players and the video is captured onto a HD video camera... it could be yourPC. However... I'd like you to have a friend try an play your video (raw footage) and then see what the situation is.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2008 09:10

Joao [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sure, thanks for the tip.
I'll try it on one of my friend's PC as soon as I have the chance.

Many thanks!

[[[[[]]]]]
Rick [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cuba via Miami now Living in L.A. Joined: Mar 07, 2008 17:03 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the help, Chris!

I'm planning to buy a laptop this summer, and its specs are more suitable to work with videos like the ones I have, so I'll be trying when I get it.
You might want to rethink that. MPEG4 and AVCHD are the most demanding video formats currently. Editing them demands a high-end computer. Unfortunately, most laptops, even ones with fast processors and a lot of RAM, choke on such formats because their often integrated video subsystems can't handle them. I would do as much research as possible before I invested in a laptop system for editing either of these formats on, especially since you are already complaining about sync problems.
Joao [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmm, I see...
And is there any way I can convert those videos to a more suitable format so I can work with them?

Thanks once again
[[[[]]]]

Edit: I've been told that I should think about buying a Macbook because it is more suitable and adequate to work with videos then Windows. Is this right?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2008 17:15

Rick [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cuba via Miami now Living in L.A. Joined: Mar 07, 2008 17:03 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hmm, I see...
And is there any way I can convert those videos to a more suitable format so I can work with them?
Those of us who do a lot of editing stick with MiniDV cameras. The output quality is better and capturing is less perilous. DVD and HDD cameras are more about convenience than quality or ease of editing. They are mainly aimed at people who simply want to view their recorded footage as-is on a TV and who may only occasionally want to edit them. While they are easier to download to computer (You can usually just drag-and-drop files inside an Explorer window) than MiniDV (which requires real-time capture) the resulting files are harder to work with in an editor and require lots of computer power to deal with. MiniDV can be captured to AVI or MPEG2 format, which is much easier to work with. The MPEG4 and AVCHD files are highly compressed formats and converting them will likely result in a noticeable loss of video quality, not to mention adding another step to the whole process. There are a lot more reasons to stick with tape if editing videos is your goal. If you choose a DVD or HDD camera for getting editable footage, then plan on spending on a very high-end PC to edit on. Also, many of the budget editors like Video Studio or PD may handle these other formats, but don't expect them to do it well on a budget computer.

Edit: I've been told that I should think about buying a Macbook because it is more suitable and adequate to work with videos then Windows. Is this right?
Personally, I'm not a Mac fan. The people that use them for video editing tend to be more pro-level and willing to spend not only more for a computer, but hundreds more for good editing software. I prefer the PC platform simply because it gives me more choices in not only commercial software, but free and shareware than a Mac.
Joao [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the advices.

So, in conclusion, would you recommend a MiniDV cam for digital video editing?

Thank you.
Stay cool [[[[]]]]
Rick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the advices.

So, in conclusion, would you recommend a MiniDV cam for digital video editing?

Thank you.
Stay cool [[[[]]]]
If you're goal is to keep it easy, cheap and simple, yes. I shoot for money and it is the best all-around solution for me. Not the most convenient, mind you, but definitely the easiest.