Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi Tony,

Deleted clips that had previously been worked with, and replaced them with fresh copies from the cam. I just wondered if somehow I had corrupted any of the video files somehow.

I did do a burn to file only on the previous project, but the freeze frames appeared in that, too.

But will go that way from scratch this time....!

Thanks Tony
Hi gang,

After four attempts to clear erratic video freezes in first BD production (and subsequent file only burns), I'm erasing the project, and going to restitch it all from scratch to see if I clear anything I did previously that caused the problems.

I'm going to give the following info which I'd like comments on in case there's something I'm unaware of. Comments like 'don't do this' are helpful if you can also explain why!! Here goes...

1) Production has MTS video files
2) Production also has still camera shots between MTS files
3) Using audio from my iTunes library as complement to still shots
4) Trying to cut down on some trasitions in case they are the cause of video freezing post transition
5) Am using some basic transitions between still shot and next video clip
6) Manual audio fade ins and outs on both video and audio clips
7) Reloaded previous video clips that had the freeze frames in them post production
Will burn to file first.
Quote: There are those in the forum that burn projects to a folder instead then use anothe disc burning software to burn the disc like imgburn, just google it. It's free and seems to work.

When you select "Burn" in power director, select the "burn to folder" option, and deselect the " burn to disc" option. Then use this created DVD folder in "imgburn".

See if this works for you.

Kevin

Thanks for this Kevin. Am creating an image file, and will try both this imgburn prog and if all else fails the disc burning part of my Cyberlink suite. Like the look of imgburn though.....
I still have freezing issues with my bd burn, but managed to overcome choppy video frames by selecting an output that closely matched the nitrate of the original video files.

My video was an hd file just under 24mbts. Selecting the profile that specifically makes reference to 24mbts made all the difference to the smoothness of the final video.

Still workin' on the freezes though....
For the record, I found the character map info here most enlightening!! Think I learnt something here too!
Quote:
And you Bubba in NV, evidently you must read the question very, very, VERY slowly.
Start thinking with your own head and stop answering with this prepared answer.

Woh! Steady on!! Whilst it may not be my place to say so, I don't think Bubba had a 'prepared' answer here. May simply have not got what you were after!

You got an answer to your problem from two regular posters here. No need to trounce the other guy surely!!

Sorry mods if I'm out of turn here.......
There was me thinkin' I had a decent graphics card.....

Ah well, time to save up I suppose!!

Having said that, I've updated the graphics card driver just a little while ago(ie, this eve!) I haven't used hardware acceleration anywhere within PD10, so given the fact that my card is so low on the list, it's probably just as well I haven't done so!

Going to try a file only 'burn' this eve.

Many thanks again for your input Tony.
Knew that one might come up!! So please find my DxDiag attached and let me know if it's readable....

In answer to your questions Tony, I tried the Quicktime burn because I've just come back from a Switzerland trip with three mates and wanted to share the video with them. Being unable so far to create a BD that doesn't freeze up somewhere, I thought I'd try a Quicktime file....

My main desire is to produce BD discs. Once done, I can save the original cam files and clear space on the cam. A blu ray disc is the preferred method of viewing and sharing for this particular project.

The original cam clips appear on my system as MTS files and are the highest quality my cam is capable of. Been burning using the 24mps profile as this definitely clears up one of my earlier issues with chopping panning bits. My file properties appear to indicate that the bitrate is just under 24mps.

Hope this helps and should any further info be needed, I'd only be too happy to provide it.

Many thanks again for your time and patience.
Thanks for these tips folks, much appreciated.

I produced a QuickTime version overnight, and had a couple of freezups again, mostly close to scene changes/titles.

Is there a need to play the whole edited video through in the 'Edit' window before any further file/disc burning??

If not, what else could be causing these freezups??

Many thanks again for your input.
Thought I'd cracked it earlier this eve, but no!!

Tried disabling just about everything on my PC - Internet connection, anti virus, added higher priority to PD10, slowed the burn process down to x4' and then tried another BD burn.

Having made the disc, I watched a whole 15 mins without a single video freeze, and thought, 'yes,this is it!'

But blow me down, I ended up with three freezes which weren't quick freezes, so not useable.

Strange thing is, the freezes occur at places that were previously freeze free, and previous freezer areas were clean as a whistle.

I have to therefore ask if it's a memory thing - do I need to upgrade to 8mb of memory?? Will it solve my problem?? Is my PC simply running out of resources at different times??

I'm going to burn a QuickTime file overnight to see if I have the same probs. first 'produce' file attempted.

Frustrating this, cos I have something spectacularly good in edit mode, and am let down by the burn process.

Any thoughts on memory upgrade welcome plus any other suggestions!! Feel it's so close to being right, but can't live with long video freezes!
I'd also welcome any help with this - getting the same problems with disc burning where video freezes randomly each burn.
My pleasure and thanks also for your suggestions.

Never posted a diagnostic file - now would be a good time to learn.

FTR, I don't use the shadow files option.

I'm hoping against hope that it's not a memory issue - only using 4Mb Ram, but the Video card is a 1gig HD card.
Update....

Went back to the edit stage and played one of the offending clips.

And yep, it stalled and rendered. Played on, stalled again and rendered.

Now, in order to correct whatever I've done, is it necessary to playback the entire edit in order for the correcting rendering to take place, or is there another way to check??

Apologies if I'm asking the obvious.....!!

As an update to the above, I've also played another segment that freezes on disc playback, but plays perfectly on the edit screen.....

Gettin' confused where to look next!!
I've burnt my second attempt at my first BD project - so nearly perfect.

Different output settings corrected the playback quality and stopped the image flicker everytime the camera panned left and right.

Output looks perfect and sound is good, titles great and transistions great.....

Except....

I'm now getting frequent video freeze on playback. The audio continues, the picture flickers, then depending on the issue, the video picks up again. So frustrating, because it's so nearly there.

I had this happen before on the first disc - interestingly enough, the scene where I had video freeze in the first disc did not occur in the second disc - happened at different places.

I read on another thread in the forum that you can 'stabalize' the video in the editing procedure. The video freezes were erratic - mostly occured away from scene transitions, although one freeze does occur right on top of one.

Any assistance on rectifying this woudl be so greatly apprectiated - as you can tell, I feel I'm nearly there, so to speak!!
Burn finished

Mixed results, but I'm not getting the image flicker that you are getting.

Mine's not perfect yet, but the resolution I used this time got rid of the motion distortion everytime the camera panned left or right.
Quote:

I found that rendering 25fps/50fps to 24fps gave a jerky stop start effect to any smooth movement.
However if you have 24fps native source files then they should give good results.

Not too much enlightenment, just my 2 cents worth.

Patrick

Without wishing to lift this thread too much, that description is precisely what I am experiencing with my first bd effort. If you have any setting tips to avoid this jerky stop-start scenario, I'd be keen to hear of them. PM me if so, if you feel this question interfere's with bolda's thread. I've just checked my frame rate on the original footage and it's reported as 25fps

Cheers!
Having watched your movie top of screen (which I should have done first), I'm not getting flickering to that degree.

My apologies - my symptoms are more image blur when camera pans which is not present on originals. I did get one scene where the video freezes and the audio continues.

Will be watching your thread to see if anyone or either of us comes up with any answers that benefit us both!

I also note that I didn't choose the 24mbps choice of the two higher profiles.

I am burning a disc now on your settings. To see if my issue is resolved, but will also see if your issue is replicated here.

Ermmmm, yes, this morning!!

I'm not one to scream about software not working, particularly when it's only my first disc I've burnt with any Cyberlink programme.

However, your symptoms were perfectly replicated when I checked a blu ray disc I burnt overnight.

However, I believe I used the Mpeg4 profile, so am about to experiment with the H2.64 profile.

It's the image quality that doesn't yet sit still on the eyes. Anything other than dead slow panning causes blurring which is not present on the original footage.

I am also mindful that I did not switch off the stabilising anti-shake bizz on my camera. In previous attempts to burn blu rays, I always found I had image issues with the anti shake left ON when trying to burn discs.

Am going to try different profiles during the next couple of days.

Interestingly enough, I played my blu ray on PC and TV this morning. PC was unwatchable and the TV had the issues you described in your post.

All titles, still shots were in perfect focus.
Ok, I'm 25 mins into disc authoring, and am a back breaking 2% into the rendering process.

BD disc being prepared @ meg2 output.

Guess it's going to take most of the night??

Would enable hardware video encoder have speeded things up? It looks greyed out anyway.....
I'll let you know!!
Rhighto, cheers

Am three quarters through patching in scenes, pics and transistions.

Then adding music and we'll see how it goes.

The only off-putting thing I'm finding at the mo is the image quality of photographs in the preview screen. The video doesn't look too bad (and I've adjusted the preview quality) but pics look a bit grainy by comparison to the original stills.

Here's where I'm hoping all the reassurance of 'it'll look just great' on the final cut to disc kicks in!!
Go to: