Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3rd time unlucky!!
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Thought I'd cracked it earlier this eve, but no!!

Tried disabling just about everything on my PC - Internet connection, anti virus, added higher priority to PD10, slowed the burn process down to x4' and then tried another BD burn.

Having made the disc, I watched a whole 15 mins without a single video freeze, and thought, 'yes,this is it!'

But blow me down, I ended up with three freezes which weren't quick freezes, so not useable.

Strange thing is, the freezes occur at places that were previously freeze free, and previous freezer areas were clean as a whistle.

I have to therefore ask if it's a memory thing - do I need to upgrade to 8mb of memory?? Will it solve my problem?? Is my PC simply running out of resources at different times??

I'm going to burn a QuickTime file overnight to see if I have the same probs. first 'produce' file attempted.

Frustrating this, cos I have something spectacularly good in edit mode, and am let down by the burn process.

Any thoughts on memory upgrade welcome plus any other suggestions!! Feel it's so close to being right, but can't live with long video freezes! The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
There are those in the forum that burn projects to a folder instead then use anothe disc burning software to burn the disc like imgburn, just google it. It's free and seems to work.

When you select "Burn" in power director, select the "burn to folder" option, and deselect the " burn to disc" option. Then use this created DVD folder in "imgburn".

See if this works for you.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I for one never burn to disc until I have rendered to file first and watched the video...... costs nothing but a little bit of your time.... then if I like it I just put that in the timeline and use it.... And I seldom use PD to burn my project anyway..... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for these tips folks, much appreciated.

I produced a QuickTime version overnight, and had a couple of freezups again, mostly close to scene changes/titles.

Is there a need to play the whole edited video through in the 'Edit' window before any further file/disc burning??

If not, what else could be causing these freezups??

Many thanks again for your input. The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Loveclose -

I had a look through some of your previous posts to see whether you'd posted a DxDiag report, giving the details of your system. Couldn't find one. It'd be a good idea to post one, since you're running into some issues.

Instructions (if you need them): http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page#32766 Part B

If there was a single simple answer to your freeze-up question, members would be happy to provide it, I'm sure. PD seems to be ridiculously finicky & appears to misbehave for a plethora of reasons. If it was your child, you'd devote some time to teaching it some resilience! Unfortunately, its Mummy & Daddy haven't been able to do that yet.

By turning off this & that on your PC, you've tried to rule out possibilities & give it the best chance of processing in a stable fashion. These forum pages provide solid evidence that the cause(s) could be just about anything from drivers to codecs to background processes to hardware to other software to PC maintenance... blah blah blah.

NO - there is no need to preview the production prior to rendering or disc burning. Of course, many editors would, just to make sure everything is "in the right spot". Nor is it necessary to produce the video before burning - except to relieve your PC of some workload.

Why are you producing to QuickTime MOV format? Is it because that's what your original clips are? How are your produced videos going to be viewed, apart from via DVD/BR disc?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Knew that one might come up!! So please find my DxDiag attached and let me know if it's readable....

In answer to your questions Tony, I tried the Quicktime burn because I've just come back from a Switzerland trip with three mates and wanted to share the video with them. Being unable so far to create a BD that doesn't freeze up somewhere, I thought I'd try a Quicktime file....

My main desire is to produce BD discs. Once done, I can save the original cam files and clear space on the cam. A blu ray disc is the preferred method of viewing and sharing for this particular project.

The original cam clips appear on my system as MTS files and are the highest quality my cam is capable of. Been burning using the 24mps profile as this definitely clears up one of my earlier issues with chopping panning bits. My file properties appear to indicate that the bitrate is just under 24mps.

Hope this helps and should any further info be needed, I'd only be too happy to provide it.

Many thanks again for your time and patience.
 Filename
LovecloseDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
281 time(s)
The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again -

On your PC, the GPU is the weakest link. Radeon HD 5450 http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Mobility+Radeon+HD+5450 - if you were ever considering an upgrade, that would be a good place to start.

On that subject, it'd be a good idea to update your GPU driver http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.36.3.4&lang=us&rev=&ostype=Windows%207%20-%2032-Bit%20Edition

If your original camera files are .mts, I'd leave out the .MOV rendering & stick with H.264 encoding for BR burning. More experienced BR makers would be able to advise you better on that question, but going from one format to another does have an impact on quality, workload & production time.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
There was me thinkin' I had a decent graphics card.....

Ah well, time to save up I suppose!!

Having said that, I've updated the graphics card driver just a little while ago(ie, this eve!) I haven't used hardware acceleration anywhere within PD10, so given the fact that my card is so low on the list, it's probably just as well I haven't done so!

Going to try a file only 'burn' this eve.

Many thanks again for your input Tony.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2012 16:19

Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: There are those in the forum that burn projects to a folder instead then use anothe disc burning software to burn the disc like imgburn, just google it. It's free and seems to work.

When you select "Burn" in power director, select the "burn to folder" option, and deselect the " burn to disc" option. Then use this created DVD folder in "imgburn".

See if this works for you.

Kevin

Thanks for this Kevin. Am creating an image file, and will try both this imgburn prog and if all else fails the disc burning part of my Cyberlink suite. Like the look of imgburn though..... The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just as an update to the previous, I've found that PowerProduce burns the produced files from PD10 direct to Blu Ray just fine.