Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
When CL integrated Audio Director (I use it a lot- really like it,) and Color Director I thought that was a great move. Adds a lot more flexibility. I thought Photo Director would be a good addition for integration too. (Heck gimme full SmartSound SonicFire PRO integration via a plugin and I would be ecstatic !)

As it stands the Paint Designer is too beginner and extremely limited for me. It would take too much time and workaround to get it to do some of the anim and things I want to do.

I always use external prgms and then add them to the timeline of PD. Much quicker.

Paint Designer- good initial concept.
But very lacking otherwise.

Rob
FYI-

For Win8 you can also move the mouse to lower left (where the Start button used to be.)
Then Right Click and select "Search"
Type in dxdiag and hit enter.

Follow Dafydd's advice above to link the file.

Rob
Nicola,

First thing is to define your price. How much are you willing to spend?

Btw- even if you are not a gamer- such systems are for the most part, are perfect for other work such as video editing and everyday tasks. So don't ignore such components just because it has a "gamer" designation to them.

For graphics cards- my personal preference are for Nvidia ones. The prices have come down a lot since last year and with the new 700 series being released you can pick up a 600 series for a real good deal. (In that range my personal pick woukd be the 650 for a budget build.)

As for MB again lots of choices- Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI etc. all have good boards at various price points.
Also be aware your old case might not fit the new MB -so check the specs on both.

The i7 is a good chip. The 3770K is solid. (Video editing relies heavily on the CPU. More so than the GPU graphics card. (No matter what the software marketing people try to tell you.)

Power supply, fans, CPU heat sink, SATA II / III cables etc.- the motherboard specs should tell you some of the requirements.

Rob
I agree with you Barry.

I was hoping for simple tools such as the straight line tool- like my Picture editor and a vector drawing type feature would be great.
That way we can zoom in and move the points around to our hearts content.

Anyone using CL Photo Director ?
Can you add such lines and precise circles etc by calling Photo Director from inside Power Director and then flip back and forth til you get what you want? Is this even possible?

Just curious....

Rob
When you guys say "severely downgraded" are you viewing the imported clip you added to the timeline in the Preview window or did you produce it in a video and then see the degradation?

If you are viewing it in the Preview window then change the settings to a higher preview rate.
Look below the window and you will see a little camera icon. Besides that there is a little window icon.
Click on window icon and select a higher Preview Quality such as High or HD etc. (Note it may be choppy depending on how fast your CPU is.)

Also you can set your preferences TV Format to 30fps to match the clip rates you are working with.

I just ignore the warning since I have mine set to 60fps NTSC and when adding 29.97fps clips it pops up.
I do not find any discernible degradation when setting my Preview Quality to high / HD and when doing a final Produce video.

Rob
Okay- just did my testing.

For those following this thread there are two services one 32 bit & one 64 bit.

Go to your Task Manager and you will see:
Rich Video Module (32bit) & Rich Video Modules running.
They also known as RichVideo & RichVideo64 service and also show up as
Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) & Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS)
They just different names of the same two services: a 32 bit and a 64 bit Rich Video.exe

Here is my test.

1. Stopped both the 32 & 64 bit .exe files in Task Manager.

2. Edited the registry to disable the "enablerichvideo" registry setting to 00 00 00 00 which is OFF (instead of 01 00 00 00 which is default ON)

3. Used Msconfig to stop the Richvideo (CRVS) from starting. Then rebooted.

Opened Task Manager to find Richvideo.exe (32 bit) did NOT start-
BUT Richvideo64.exe started. Hmmm... further testing:

Stopped the Richvideo64.exe in Task Manager- Services tab and fired up Power Director 11 and did some editing and mucking about.
Richvideo.exe still not started- however Richvideo64.exe always restarted itself.

Okay- quit PD 11 and went to the directory C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared Files and renamed Richvideo64.exe to "Richvideo64.exe.bak"

Tried to start PD 11 - no go. Cyberlink popup warns me that the Richvideo Service is not installed.
Renamed "Richvideo64.exe.bak" to Richvideo64.exe and all is good agian. PD starts and works.

Further testing to see what effects disabling the 32 bit .exe service has if any.
Used Color Director, used PowerDVD 11 and started PD 11 several more times and used those- still no 32 bit.exe being started or called.
(Note the richvideo.exe might not be used for those prgms, I was just opening all the Cyberlink prgms I had installed and throwing them at the system to see what would happen. This was a short term test however.)

So I re-enabled the registry setting to 01 00 00 00 which is ON and and reverted all disabling procedures.

Anyone who tries to disable these services make sure both and not just one is disabled- then try PD and see if it will work. Let us know.

Rob

Have you tried the PDtoots site for How to and more advanced tutorials?
https://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots

Each of the effects you describe can be achieved in PD with a little creativity & experimentation.

Rob
Another little quirk that CL needs to fix.
I noticed this too and forgot about it since I use shorter ending titles for my vids.

I'll add this to my next Issues compilation.

Rob
Hey Chas-

I was going to start a thread with the subject: Disabling / Trouble shooting Richvideo service.

This one is going quite nicely. You wouldn't mind adding or updating the title on this thread so if there are any future issues like this we can just link to it?

Or should I just go ahead and start a new thread? What does everyone think?

Adrian-

I will give the registry tweak a shot and see.
What you say makes sense. I am just concerned the service has taken on more and become a bigger part of CL software since its initial release. But a testing I will go to see what issues if any pops up. (I already tried various combinations like the Msconfig disable and renamed / deleted the service etc. with no luck. PD squawks and goes crazy on me.)

Rob
Awesome news- I would not even have thought about that at all.

Rob
I have one of those for my older SATA drives and two of the following that can do SATA I /II / III drives:

Simply drop in the HDs and plug in.
One is the older dual HD docking station a USB2.0 / eSATA connection that can take both smaller 2.5" & larger 3.5" HDs
(It now comes with a USB3.0 for the newer version, this link is for my older one. So be aware of the differences.)
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001574

And the other one I got recently is a single HD Dock that has the newer USB3.0 connection.
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001642

I can swap external drives with ease. I have one docking station hooked up in my living room to my HTPC and the other in my office.
The quickest easiest way- other than streaming everything from a central NAS server. (But I prefer portability.)

Also for piece of mind I picked up an external 1 TB 2.5" travel USB3.0 HD for my laptop that works like a champ to backup all my files when I am traveling. (After multiple HD crashes over the years I have 3 backups of everything !)

Rob
Have you already tried opening Task Manager and ending the Richvideo services ?

(Also clicking on the "Services" tab and highlighting Richvideo.exe & Richvideo64.exe and Right click select "Stop")

Rob
Jean,

Re-installing windows is a rather drastic measure since everything else on your computer is working fine.
Can you try the following first:

You already have a license for PD 9 - contact Tech support and ask them to send you a link to PD 9 trial.
Download that version again and reinstall it. Then once you verify it is working you can install your upgrade to PD 11.

In case it is the newer graphics driver that is causing this here is a link to the older drivers for AMD Catalyst (it says Vista64 but click on them and it is for Win 7 x64 also.) http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

I have PD 11 running on my main C: partition with only 30GB free (I edit and save to another dedicated HD that has 60GB free.)

Rob
heh- yep we are all on the same page.

I have learnt to save after almost everything I do in PD.
I also have my auto save set to every 5 mins.

Lately though I have noticed I hardly have any hangs and unexplained crashes since the 2707 update.
(Knock on wood.) I also tweaked a whole bunch of PD settings to make it smoother and less taxing on the computer system to try and eliminate these unexplained glitches. So far so good.

Of course the more complex and lengthy the project I am working on is the more often I click save out of force of habit.

Also it doesn't hurt to be one with the keyboard: the shortcut Ctrl + S is every ones friend- use it or lose it !

Rob
Ziggy,

Don't uninstall yet- in this case I prefer the method doing the least amount of work to get things running as they should.

Since Rich video is not showing up in your Task Manager then let's kickstart it and get it running to see the results.

Go to your Task Manager select the "Services" tab
Scroll down to RichVideo & RichVideo64
Verify one or both is listed as "Stopped" in the Status Column to the right

If they are then:
Left Click each one and then Right Click
Select "Start"

Look at the Status Column again - they both should now have the "Running" indicator

Now start your Power Director and see what happens.

Rob
Leaving those checked are fine.

If you go to "Produce" and enable Fast video rendering technology :
select Hardware video encoder then that is the setting some of us do not use.

If you do use that setting and you are happy with the outcome then no need to worry about it.

Rob
Adrian,

Interesting read. Thanks for quotes.

For me, I tested out whether it was needed by disabling the .exe services and just tried to use PD as is- no Magic cuts etc. I also do not use the other functions. I had no end of problems with PD not functioning as normal and giving errors. I restarted the services and PD functioned normally.

The same thing with PD 10 before I upgraded. (I haven't started editing until PD version 11- but always do a scan of any program to see what it does in the background.) In PD 10 the Richvideo services instantly got my attention since it was running when it shouldn't be.

I noticed these services are always running on my system in the background. Even though no Cyberlink products are started or auto updates enabled. I have my system locked down so when a service like this fails to terminate and starts up every time I shut down and start up, when there is no need for it, I then classify it as a type of DRM.

I contacted CL about this and other issues and am still waiting for an official response as to why this is the case.

Rob.
Just so I understand- rephrased a different way:

PD is cutting off the last frame of a clip and repeating that frame at the beginning of the next clip after the transition?

Not sure if PD is some how merging the clips that are already open, thus the repeating.

You wouldn't happen to have a screen shot or better yet a small video sample of the repetitions before you re-edited and fixed the timeline?

Rob
Ziggy,

there seems to be a number of issues going here at the same time.

1.) Rich Video is an integral part of Cyberlink software. It will not work properly without it. See this link, scroll to the bottom for my full explanation: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28134.page

I'll re-quote part of the relevant bits here- do the following and let us know:

After you have installed Power Director 11-

Go to your Task Manager and make sure one or both
Rich Video Module (32bit) & Rich Video Modules are running.
They also known as RichVideo & RichVideo64 service and also show up as
Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) & Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS) - which can get confusing, but they just different names of the same two services: a 32 bit and a 64 bit Rich Video.exe

Also go to Msconfig and make sure they have not been disabled for some reason.

2.) UAC - this should not be causing these issues by itself. The yellow / blue shield icon usually shows up when you are running as Admin or give a program elevated system rights- or for some reason Windows flags the program as requiring such rights. You should not have to give Power Director Admin rights or run in safe mode.

For now try to run in normal mode until we can narrow things down a bit - then later we can turn it off and do more trouble shooting. (FYI- on all my systems I usually turn UAC off- but do not recommend that for people who are not tech savvy around computer systems.)

3. Direct3d - which can cause all sorts of issues. Your diag .txt files all look like it is working- but missing info from parts of the file concerning your video card. so I am thinking there is some sort of conflict going on here. Are all your games running okay? No tearing, choppiness or weirdness ? When did you install your video card- did you experience any graphics conflicts when you did with any of your software? (Your Internet Explorer acting funny is not normal either.)

Is there an update patch for your BattleField 3 that needs to be installed ?

Rob
Open your Nvidia Control Panel (right click anywhere on desktop and select it for those of you who don't know.)

Click on the Help menu and select "System Information."
Click "Save" and then upload that saved .txt file here

Rob
Tony,

Just to clarify: the Rich Video services are for Cyberlink software. They just constantly run in the background merrily about their way. You won't see any process or memory jumps when using the CL software. I basically think they are just a type of DRM for Cyberlink.

If the software has errors then other add ons like Smartsound more than likely will be affected too- hence my strong inclination to get the Rich video services back up and running then see if that does the trick.

Rob
Go to: