Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
USB to SATA adapter
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using one of these for years to hot swap SATA hard drives. Mine is a little different but works the same. Good article... saved my bacon more than once. DO NOT depend on the cloud or any online storage for data backup of things you simply can not live without.

The two I have are like docking stations and will let me swap IDE drives as well....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2036718/why-its-a-good-idea-to-own-a-usb-to-sata-adapter.html#tk.rss_all

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2013 17:28

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Microsoft has been trying to force us into the clouds since vista. I'm not going along. I also like having my backups in my own possession.

Where in central Texas are you, if you don't mind saying?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2013 22:16

Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting Bubba, I still haven't gotten around to getting one of these gizmo's, and I should do. Having experienced HDD failures in the past, I need a recovery backup tool.
Thanks for the reminder (Bubba told me to get one already!).
Dafydd
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
I have one of those for my older SATA drives and two of the following that can do SATA I /II / III drives:

Simply drop in the HDs and plug in.
One is the older dual HD docking station a USB2.0 / eSATA connection that can take both smaller 2.5" & larger 3.5" HDs
(It now comes with a USB3.0 for the newer version, this link is for my older one. So be aware of the differences.)
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001574

And the other one I got recently is a single HD Dock that has the newer USB3.0 connection.
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001642

I can swap external drives with ease. I have one docking station hooked up in my living room to my HTPC and the other in my office.
The quickest easiest way- other than streaming everything from a central NAS server. (But I prefer portability.)

Also for piece of mind I picked up an external 1 TB 2.5" travel USB3.0 HD for my laptop that works like a champ to backup all my files when I am traveling. (After multiple HD crashes over the years I have 3 backups of everything !)

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I keep an image backup of all my computers on one old SATA drive. The backup is done every two weeks so I am never more than two weeks away from a computer refresh, not to mention I use MS Synctoy to keep all my files backed up across all my different drives... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...not to mention I use MS Synctoy to keep all my files backed up across all my different drives

Bubba introduced me to MS SyncToy quite a while back. Absolutely love it!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2013 12:41

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Amen

My two main computer drives are plugin, cages typically cost around $25. Plus a external USB to SATA plugin unit.
Make clones once a month and use Acronis 2010 to make a full backups once a week to two external separate drives used for that purpose only and not connected unless for B ups. In fact the clone is sitting in a fireproof safe.

This has saved my hide more than once, but more important it allows me to try other software without fear, for example during the last 8 month I tested close to 10 different editing software's. After testing I can then restore the computer to its previous pristine state.

Problem, few people make even backups, I try to preach this to my friends, but they become religious only after a disaster. But I too had to learn the hard way, luckily over 10 years ago

Good point Bubba to bring this up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2013 20:34

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A