Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR11 not responding - then system hangs
Jean65
Newbie Location: Germany (but I am French) Joined: Apr 27, 2013 08:41 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have the following problem with PowerDirector 11:
Once started, it hangs as soon as I try to load a file or to access the menu.
Windows proposes to close or wait. Waiting can last for hours and closing leads to "Windows searches a solution" (my system is in French, so the english message may be slightly different). The only way out is CTRL-ALT-DEL and the result is a frozen computer. Same result if I choose to end Windows or just close the session. It seems that trying to force the program to end just messes up the computer.

Here are more details that could be relevant:

This problem started with PD9 : after some time without using it, I launched it and it produced the issue described above. Since I had not the files to reinstall it, I purchased PD11 (upgrade version from PD9 Ultra to PD11 Ultimate) but it did not solve the problem. I used PD9 in the past without problems.

I have Win7 64 bits. PDR is build 2812 (but same issue before applying the update)
Radeon HD7700 graphical card (see details in attached diagnostic files).

I tried several things without success:
1. Uninstalled all Cyberlink products (had to use CLCLeaner for PD9)
2. Re-installed PD11 on the HDD (it was first installed on a SSD)
3. Updated Catalyst to v13.4
4. Deactivated programs that I suspected to interfere (AVAST, Acronis TrueImageHome, Kies)
5. Checked the recorded events : nothing is recorded (except the unexpected restart)
6. Run chkdsk on all disks
7. Tested my RAM with Memtest86+
8. Reinstalled Quicktime (7.73.80.64)

Initially, the problem was at the very beginning of the start of PDR (directly a frozen system). I removed the files from SampleClips folder and it delayed the problem a little bit : PDR is launched and seems to work until I try to do something with it.

Next step I can think about is to re-install windows, but I really would like to avoid it. Maybe it is a problem with Catalyst (PDR9 was working fine on this computer), but I do not know how to revert back to an outdated version.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jean
 Filename
Jean65DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Diagnostic File
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
366 time(s)
 Filename
Jean6564DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Diagnostic File (64 bits)
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
399 time(s)
Jean
I7 2.8 GHz, Asus P7p55D, RAM 8 G, RADEON HD 7700 2048 Mo.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Jean65 ,

1. Your PC is more than capable to handle PD11, as per the Dxdiag files.
2. If ALL of your other applications run without problems then you should not have to re-load PD11 OR Windows.
3. If this PC was used for PD9 then you should not have had any problems before.

If items 2 and 3 are correct then you need to look at the issue from a different perspective.

I suggest you:
- remove all of PD11 using the control panel
- use CCleaner (free on the web) to clean the registry of your PC
- test your PC to see that it can play back the type of video files that you will be editing
- make sure that you have at least 80 gbytes free on the same disc drive that PD and Windows is running on
- make sure you have internet connection
- re-instal PD11 on the same partition as Windows
- test PD11

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2013 13:41

Win 10, i7
Jean65
Newbie Location: Germany (but I am French) Joined: Apr 27, 2013 08:41 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
HDedit,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

Item 2 :
I did not notice any problem on other applications. Today, I reloaded PD11 following the advice from Cyberlink Hotline (installation with all background software deactivated), without success.

Item 3 :
I used PD9 on this computer without major problems (just some rare instabilities). I did not use it recently, so I have no idea what could be the cause of the problem. But the problem occured first on PD9 and I thought upgrading to PD11 would solve it.

I already used CCleaner and tested the video playback and also tried to install on different partition (first my windows partition, but then on my HDD because I suspected there was not enough space on C: ).
Regarding the disk space, my windows partition is on a 128 GB SSD, with 61 GB free. The windows temp folder is on a second SSD of 64 GB (used only for this purpose). My data are on a HDD (RAID 0, 2 X 1 GB). So, I think the best is to install all PD11 files on the data drive.
Do you think the configuration (PD11 + Windows) on same partition & 80 gbytes free is a must? I have difficulties to try it without re-installing windows.
But since the only solution I can see now is to re-install a clean version of windows, I'd better do it in the best configuration. To keep 80 GB free on C: is feasible but I will have to install most of the SW on the data drive.

What would be your choice?

Except if I find another solution, I will proceed to some back up and will re-install windows from scratch on Wednesday.

Another concern I have is that I purchased an upgrade version and I cannot find the installation files of PD9 (but I have the licence #). It did not seem to be an issue after Item 1 of my first post (CLCleaner removed PD9 from the registry, but the files are still there), but I have a doubt in case of re-install from scratch.

Jean
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Jean,

Re-installing windows is a rather drastic measure since everything else on your computer is working fine.
Can you try the following first:

You already have a license for PD 9 - contact Tech support and ask them to send you a link to PD 9 trial.
Download that version again and reinstall it. Then once you verify it is working you can install your upgrade to PD 11.

In case it is the newer graphics driver that is causing this here is a link to the older drivers for AMD Catalyst (it says Vista64 but click on them and it is for Win 7 x64 also.) http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

I have PD 11 running on my main C: partition with only 30GB free (I edit and save to another dedicated HD that has 60GB free.)

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Trial versions can not be activated with PDR at the present. Only full versions.
Forum Moderator
Jean65
[Post New]
Thanks all,
I have asked Tech Support to provide PD 9. I hope they'll answer positively. Jean
John-hpxref2 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: West Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2012 17:16 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jean65
I have had exactly the same problem as you after buying an AMD/ATI HD 7750 . Prior to this I ran on my internal i7K HD4000 with no problems after upgrading PD11 to latest.
Perhaps my "solution" may be of some use to you?
1. AMD7000 Version 1301 driver (from the cd label) disk would cause PD11 to crash and exit immediately.
2. Downloading the (now 2nd latest) driver would produce same results you have. Edit screen would come up, but any attempt at loading file or project, or slideshow etc would freeze PD11 No Mouse, No keyboard response, need power off PC to reboot.
3. Download the very latest Vista/7/Win8 driver from AMD. and you get exact same as above.
NOTE: Each time a complete Uninstall of "all" AMD drivers was completed and a "cold" boot before each new version was installed.

Now here is where things get weird, but gives me a seemingly working PD11 with the my Radeon HD7750

After final uninstall I was going back to the HD4000 which had worked before, with the HD7750 still inserted, but I always checked out the "System Hardware" listing after each uninstall and reboot. Before the last AMD driver uninstall, the system had showed BOTH the HD4000 AND the AMD7000 series installed and h/ware "working"
But on the last driver install/uninstall the HD4000 had gone , but an AMD sourced driver for the AMD7000 series still remained! Puzzled, I tried running PD11 on this AND IT WORKED and has been working ever since with the HD7750 card.

SO: despite completely uninstalling "ALL AMD" a driver still remained on my system.! And this worked, NO Catalyst remained however.
NOTE 2: Note that WIN8 Pro on my system WILL AUTO INSTALL ITS OWN MICROSOFT driver for a 7000 series card if its inserted. but the Microsoft driver also does not work.
I don't know how the AMD driver got itself installed on my system, but its there now and it works. Maybe its still in the registry somewhere despite uninstalls
It seems the Catalyst part is the problem and that the raw driver alone may work OK.
Jean, I think it highly likely the issue is with the Radeon 7000 Catalyst drivers.
I don't know your hardware, but try uninstalling your cards software, rebooting to see if its gone from SYSTEM hardware info.or if a MICROSOFT 7000 driver had been put in instead
If is and not working, install to the latest AMD driver, boot up , run PD11 and it will fail. Uninstall, reboot and then check if you have the AMD driver put magically in system hardware list like I did
Reboot and maybe your AMD card will then work for you too
Jean, Good luck and Bon Chance
John

Jean65
[Post New]
Thanks John
I will try it. Jean
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Jean65 ,

I can confirm that the scenario that John-hpxref2 detailed so well can occur.

In the past I had accidentally updated my AMD Catalyst and found that an older AMD app was not removed by the AMD updater. I believe that they do that for the sake of legacy AMD stuff. HOWEVER, if you remove all of the AMD app using the control panel instead then EVERYTHING gets erased. This would explain why John-hpxref2's solution works for him - he installed OLD apps first then updated using AMD updater which left the older files intact.

So I suggest you re-install an older version of AMD Catalyst (13.1 for example) and see how things work out. Win 10, i7
Jean65
[Post New]
I tried John's solution.
1. with last driver AMD 12.104.0.0 : PDR11 fails
2. uninstall all AMD driver - reboot - driver Microsoft 9.12.0.0 : PDR fails but differently. It crashes and proposes to send a feedback to Cyberlink.
3. reinstall latest AMD driver : PDR11 fails
4. uninstalled all AMD Drivers : fails as on 2.

I will try now to install an old version of AMD Drivers. If it does not work, I will probably re-install windows. Jean
All vodi
[Post New]
Jean65 ,

This is unbelievably frustrating for any user ! Version 12.104 is the current driver.

I suggest you go look at the legacy drivers found at :
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Catalyst Version 12.6 was very stable. Win 10, i7
Jean65
[Post New]
Starting from windows driver (9.12.0.0), I did the following:

1. Installed Catalyst 12.8 : it did not update the driver. I suppose it is because it is dated 15/8/2012 and the microsoft one is from 19/12/2012
2. Installed Catalyst 12.10 : idem (dated 22/10/2012)
3. Installed Catalyst 13.4, selecting the components one by one (this option did not appear with the previous versions) - I have the items in French, so the translation may not be like the AMD one. I choose to end with the driver because I suspected it to be the problem.
3.1 AMD Installation Manager 8.0.911.0 --> no reboot required and PDR crashes and want to report to Cyberlink.
3.2 Audio HDMI Drivers 7.12.0.7714 : idem
3.3 Transcoder AMD media 1.0.80328.2204 : idem
3.4 Catalyst Control Center 2013.0328.2218... : idem
3.5 AMD Accelerated video TR 12.10.100.30328 : idem
3.6 Display driver AMD 12.104.0.000 : no reboot required (???) and PDR starts and then hangs (with hard reset needed).

It proves that there is a problem with this driver, but does not help since all tried configurations fail one way or the other.

The only way now to be sure is to try on a clean Windows (I am tired of all these trials and I prefer the radical solution). I'll do it tonight after dinner. I'll install PDR 9 first and try. Then PDR 11. Jean
Jean65
[Post New]
Quote: Jean65 ,

This is unbelievably frustrating for any user ! Version 12.104 is the current driver.

I suggest you go look at the legacy drivers found at :
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Catalyst Version 12.6 was very stable.

As explained in my previous post, I could not install the drivers 12.x. The installation goes on, a pop up windows states that all components are up-to-date and no driver is installed. Jean
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I could not install the drivers 12.x. The installation goes on, a pop up windows states that all components are up-to-date and no driver is installed.

Jean, It isn't clear to me what methodology you are using to install the new driver...

If you have not already done so I suggest using the AMD uninstaller...
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

When you reboot Windows will likely install the basic MS driver.

Have the latest AMD driver at hand and install it by double-clicking. (Do not go via the Device Manager update route.)
See http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GraphicsDriverInstallationInstructionforMicrosoftWindows7.aspx

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2013 18:03

John-hpxref2 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: West Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2012 17:16 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Jean and others
I should have mentioned the HD 7750 Driver Version
taken from my System/Hardware is AMD Version 12 100 17.0
I have now been working solidly for 14 hours with this driver installed and its working reliably (MPEG2 and WMV)
John
System: i3770K CPU, Asus P8Z77Pro mbrd, 16GB matched RAM, 2TB and dual 1TB 6GB.sec SATA drives, RADEON
HD7750 IdeE3.0 2GB GC, LG Widescreen Monitor
Leadtek PCI DTV/ANALOG IN card for VHS tape input
Jean65
[Post New]
Dear all,

I installed windows 7 (with formatting c. I installed all the latest drivers for my MB. After long hours of updating, the system is now up-to-date. I installed the latest Quiktime.

I installed PD9 using the recommendations of Cyberlink technical support (with all background SW de-activated).
PD 9 does not start : it keeps charging and any attempt to stop it leads to a system hang.
I then tried with PD11 and have the usual problem : it starts to load the samples and blocks at 88 %.

At least, now I am sure that there is a real issue. I thought a lot about the issue. I believed it was due to a corrupted system file following a system recovery (a few months ago, I had to recover the windows partition using back-ups. The back up could have been corrupted. Now I am sure this is not the source of the problem.

I will contact the technical support.

@ Borgus1 : I will try to install an old version using you links. But in the last days, I have tried a complete unsinstal using AMD uninstaller, plus some manual deletions (directions found on the net). It did not help but I did it to clean-install the lates version, so it may help to install an old one.
The method I used to try reproducing John's solution was :
- uninstall using the windows uninstaller (conf panel/programs/AMD Catalyst Install Manager)
- re-install catalyst using the catalyst executable.
Jean
Jean65
[Post New]
I removed catalyst and the system reverted to the standard VGA driver. This is a different behaviour than yesterday (I had a driver which was quoted AMD).
With this driver, PD 11 works fine. I could produce and save a video. But no possibility to benefit from hardware acceleration and I am limited to one display and I have 2.

I will now try to install an old catalyst. This time, it should be possible...

[Edit]
I tried versions 12-6 and 12-10 : PDR crashes, but this is recoverable (no need to reboot).

I wonder if I should not change for another card, with nvidia GPU ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2013 15:57

Jean
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I removed catalyst and the system reverted to the standard VGA driver. This is a different behaviour than yesterday (I had a driver which was quoted AMD).
With this driver, PD 11 works fine..

I wonder if I should not change for another card, with nvidia GPU ...

It's beginning to look like that's worth trying, Jean.

If you have a shop that will work with you perhaps they will allow testing of a NVidia 650 card, or similar class, before you put out the big bucks ($100 US range). That card plays nicely with PD11 in Win 8. An Asus EN210 did not: trial PD often froze and crashed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2013 16:03

All vodi
[Post New]
Jean et all,

Suggest you read this recent post:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28244.page;jsessionid=0B3B7F34C2A417F9673CEE36F9010786 Win 10, i7
Jean65
[Post New]
Thanks I will try it.

But maybe not immediately. I am working on an important diaporama for a party next week-end. The configuration with the standard VGA driver seems to work, so I will first finish the production.

Thanks to everybody for helping. If I finally solve the issue, I will let you know how. Jean