Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR11.exe Has stopped working - New install haven't even used it???
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 27, 2013 18:26 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Please help,

I just purchased this software it will not load past the splash screen where you can pick Editor, Easy Editor or Slideshow. Once I pick one it starts to load and then goes to the Import wizard ( to load sample clips), it crashes shortly after that, even if I cancel the import it still crashes. I have downloaded all updates, Updated my video drivers, I run as Admin... nothing works.

My system has more than enough power for this, and I don't understand why this is so unstable. I really want to use this program and take advantage of the 64 bit processing.

System:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01859884

I have this video card installed

http://www.evga.com/articles/00701/#2652

This PSU:
http://www.corsair.com/enthusiast-series-tx650-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

Direct X 11 is installed

I installed the latest patch..

2013-04-24
Updates PowerDirector 11 to build 2812

I had a video I was looking forward to editing.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Try uninstalling then installing Quicktime.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Part A and Part B so we can do a better diagnosis on your computer system.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thnks Carl, I will do that next. I am currently re-installing PDR, I removed it completely and also ran the CLCleaner as directed b the instructions and deleted the cyberlink folder. I will re-intall QT next.

I can't do Part A because PDr doesn't stay open longe enough.

for Part B, I get an error when running dxdiag tool with 64 bit referring to 3d.
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
re-install of QT and PDR didn't help.

not sure how to fix Direct X error if that is related? I please games that require Hi resolution and don't have issues?
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dirext X file attached....
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
424 time(s)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
you have problems with your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 video card.

The Dxdiag.txt is missing most of the information about the Video card, and there is two instances of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650.
None of the Driver information is present.

If you have a beta driver, remove and install the WHQL driver.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The DxDiag errors, accessing the Direct 3D. I Bypassed the test.... my nvidia drivers are up to date, I went to the site today and used the tool to detect my card and downloaded and installed the latest driver
[Thumb - ScreenShot 04-27-13_003.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot 04-27-13_003.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
169 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
255 time(s)
Carl312
[Post New]
So what happened after the Graphics card software update?

Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
nothing happened, still the same issue.

1. Can't run xdiag tool in normal mode.
2. I could run it in Safemode with 64bit option but Direct3d options are still disabled... not sue if the presence of an external card causes other changes to affect this.
3. My Internet explorer has been acting up also, when I close it it also says it has stopped working... I have no virus... I have a game called battlefield3 that I installed previously that I have a feeling may have caused some issues with the browser, so I am going got uninstall it
also.

I don't know, I haven't had so many issues with an install since Win98 days.

** I added the Icon to launch the rogram, it has the security sheild on it, would that be an issue? I have run it as Admin?

[Thumb - ScreenShot 04-28-13_002.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot 04-28-13_002.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
230 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2013 09:18

RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Open your Nvidia Control Panel (right click anywhere on desktop and select it for those of you who don't know.)

Click on the Help menu and select "System Information."
Click "Save" and then upload that saved .txt file here

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Thanks rob, here is the info.

Note, I also just added...

CrashRpt.xml
miniDump.dmp

incase anyone knows how to interpret it.

Thanks again.
 Filename
NVIDIA System Information 04-28-2013 11-43-53.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
659 time(s)
 Filename
miniDump.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
362 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2013 11:54

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
PD should load and run, to a degree anyway, in safe mode. If it does, it would point to a conflict occurring sometime after. PD will default to asking for RichVideo to be installed during the process, choose yes but I'm not sure it really matters.

I wasn't quite clear if the "load sample files step" was always the issue. Normally it shouldn't matter but.....??

PD defaults to loading the sample files, which can be changed in preferences. But if you cannot get there, as in this case, then you can change the default registry entry to prevent the sample files loading. If you feel confident in doing that let me know and I'll post more detail.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ok, so actually I didn't even think to launch PDR in Safemode while i was in there... so i can launch it that way... it does give me a message saying Rich video needs to be installed, whic is a bit odd, but not sure if that could be related as i don't see the error in regular mode... I still think I have a permission issue on the 64 bit "programs directory, because the Icon for PDR11.exe has the shield on it and always prompts the user account message.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I am aware RichVideo is not a critical part of PD, it is useful in certain processes, such as file import etc. but not otherwise. PD will ask for it in safe mode as the reg key EnableRichVideo defaults to on. Again a direct registry change can alter that default to off.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't have a problem modifying Registry entry's but I think part of the issue has to be the UAC icon.
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ziggy,

there seems to be a number of issues going here at the same time.

1.) Rich Video is an integral part of Cyberlink software. It will not work properly without it. See this link, scroll to the bottom for my full explanation: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28134.page

I'll re-quote part of the relevant bits here- do the following and let us know:

After you have installed Power Director 11-

Go to your Task Manager and make sure one or both
Rich Video Module (32bit) & Rich Video Modules are running.
They also known as RichVideo & RichVideo64 service and also show up as
Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) & Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS) - which can get confusing, but they just different names of the same two services: a 32 bit and a 64 bit Rich Video.exe

Also go to Msconfig and make sure they have not been disabled for some reason.

2.) UAC - this should not be causing these issues by itself. The yellow / blue shield icon usually shows up when you are running as Admin or give a program elevated system rights- or for some reason Windows flags the program as requiring such rights. You should not have to give Power Director Admin rights or run in safe mode.

For now try to run in normal mode until we can narrow things down a bit - then later we can turn it off and do more trouble shooting. (FYI- on all my systems I usually turn UAC off- but do not recommend that for people who are not tech savvy around computer systems.)

3. Direct3d - which can cause all sorts of issues. Your diag .txt files all look like it is working- but missing info from parts of the file concerning your video card. so I am thinking there is some sort of conflict going on here. Are all your games running okay? No tearing, choppiness or weirdness ? When did you install your video card- did you experience any graphics conflicts when you did with any of your software? (Your Internet Explorer acting funny is not normal either.)

Is there an update patch for your BattleField 3 that needs to be installed ?

Rob
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
vn800rider
[Post New]
1.) Rich Video is an integral part of Cyberlink software. It will not work properly without it.

In many releases, I have worked for extended times without RichVideo enabled. As far as I am aware it is an "added value" service, so to speak, that makes scene detect on file import, and a couple of other functions, faster by storing previous "editing" information. Since I never use them, it doesn't seem to make any difference to my PD but, as long as it is not causing an issue, leave it running. Sometimes for troubleshooting, just to make sure that it is not causing an issue, then it's useful to know that PD seems to load and run OK without it.

This is an old bit of info from c.2006 - probably when RichVideo was quite new.

Introduction and Benefits

CyberLink RichVideo is an advanced technology designed to save precious video editing time by storing initial video analysis for future references. For example, the first time you detect scenes or perform Magic Cut, video analysis information will be collected and stored, eliminating the process to be repeated again. Not only is a tremendous amount of time saved, the video information will be stored directly into the video file, and thus available for all users.

RichVideo Technology

Developed by CyberLink, CyberLink RichVideo technology coincides with new product releases enabling it to be utilized by other award-winning CyberLink applications. As we gravitate towards the digital home generation, video analysis will be at the forefront of video editing, with RichVideo playing a vital role in the development of multimedia software by reducing editing time and arduous workload.

CyberLink RichVideo is activated the first time after detecting scenes or performing Magic Cut. Information will be saved from video analysis in a separate data file or write to the file directly. Later, it is retrieved automatically when conducting similar actions.

CyberLink RichVideo in Action

For Magic Cut or in Scene Detection

CyberLink RichVideo will store information on scene differences, zooming and panning, facial features, colors, etc. Video analysis will only be conducted the first time, even if the duration of the scenes/clips have been altered. The next time Magic Cut is performed, everything will be automatic.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Adrian,

Interesting read. Thanks for quotes.

For me, I tested out whether it was needed by disabling the .exe services and just tried to use PD as is- no Magic cuts etc. I also do not use the other functions. I had no end of problems with PD not functioning as normal and giving errors. I restarted the services and PD functioned normally.

The same thing with PD 10 before I upgraded. (I haven't started editing until PD version 11- but always do a scan of any program to see what it does in the background.) In PD 10 the Richvideo services instantly got my attention since it was running when it shouldn't be.

I noticed these services are always running on my system in the background. Even though no Cyberlink products are started or auto updates enabled. I have my system locked down so when a service like this fails to terminate and starts up every time I shut down and start up, when there is no need for it, I then classify it as a type of DRM.

I contacted CL about this and other issues and am still waiting for an official response as to why this is the case.

Rob.
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys,

I see "Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service" in ms config, but not in task manager.

BF3 is up to date, but I plan to uninstall it. even though I can't find articles on it affecting programs, I am pretty sure my browser issues started around the same time. At first I thought it was an update to IE10 ( which I have rolled back).

Are you suggesting I should uninstall again? Let me know recommended steps... I followed the instructions from the site telling me to install the main program first and then the ad on packs ( although currently I did not re-install them the second time.

This program is one of the few true 64 bit programs that I have.

I'm turning in for the night but will take another crack at it tomorrow.

ziggy
vn800rider
[Post New]
For me, I tested out whether it was needed by disabling the .exe services and just tried to use PD as is- no Magic cuts etc. I also do not use the other functions. I had no end of problems with PD not functioning as normal and giving errors. I restarted the services and PD functioned normally.

Probably the difference is that I disable the request for RV in PD, through the registry, so that the program itself does not call for it and runs accordingly, rather than calling for something that is stopped. My memory, such as it is these days, seems to recollect that it used to be a user choice in preferences at some stage.

Cheers
Confucius