Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Draw tool
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Has ANYBODY ever used the drawing tool and made a decent straight line?
How about a path of any kind that does not look like a monkey did it while flinging you-know-what with it's other paw?
I want to use the tool to hilite an area for a medical video, but honestly, it stinks for that purpose.
I need a clean line, and it just won't let you. Useless.
Hopefully the next PD will have sorted out some type of interpolation to make this function better.
Just venting, now it's off to AE to make my own graphics, even if it's not animated, it will still be better.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry,

no idea how PD responds to the following, so maybe I should just hold my tongue....
but, have you tried holding down "Shift" while drawing?
(That usually works with other software).

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
No, Nina,
that did not work any better, no change. It's seems the Drawing feature is just a tool that is for children's playtime, so much potential, but utterly incomplete. It needs interpolation. If it worked better, wow, what a great way to add pizzazz to a video. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with you Barry.

I was hoping for simple tools such as the straight line tool- like my Picture editor and a vector drawing type feature would be great.
That way we can zoom in and move the points around to our hearts content.

Anyone using CL Photo Director ?
Can you add such lines and precise circles etc by calling Photo Director from inside Power Director and then flip back and forth til you get what you want? Is this even possible?

Just curious....

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
How is the Draw tool on a touch-pad? If it's better, I'll buy one just for that. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry, Nina & Rob -

Agree with you all about the tool. Without using a drawing tablet (I haven't), it's nearly impossible to get anything resembling straight or fluent lines. I've read here that it works better with a tablet, but I haven't seen any result yet.

Cranston's workaround might do it for you Barry - http://youtu.be/akUsQvOpbso - at least it's one way of cleaning up the line.

Rob - PhotoDirector & other graphics software can add the line/box/circle BUT what Paint Designer does is animate the drawing of the object.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried running the mouse along a straight edge. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
It's not so much straight lines that are killing me, it's the bumpy ride on everything, friggin' pulse is enough to throw it off. I was just using RouteGenerator, a freeware that makes lines FAR better than PD. Still not quite right, because I have to key out the background, but the quality is superior. I'll most likely just stick with a non-animated graphic, sigh.
Anybody got a tablet???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2013 17:31

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Barry -

In your medical video, what is it you'd like to draw? What shape do you want animated? There may be another way around it... but I agree, it'd be better if the tool provided for the purpose did a decent job.

Cheers - Tony
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Nice circles, reasonably straight lines or swooshes without the irritating wiggles. I'm just trying to outline anatomical parts, tongue, tonsils, wind-pipe, soft palate, etc. I have actually isolated various segments of the illustration and I can treat them as PIP's, that is also presenting it's own set of tedious editing, oy. I'm out of control...!!! Mayday Mayday!!! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Cranston's workaround might do it for you Barry - http://youtu.be/akUsQvOpbso - at least it's one way of cleaning up the line.

OK, I'm missing some basics here...
In the latter part of the demo three screens are saved: map, map with line, map with transparent line.

In PD, the map in the media room is added to the timeline.
In PIP creator, the second graphic that was saved now shows only the line ... how did you get rid of the map?
And in PIP there's the final saved still with the transparent line. Again, how was the map removed?

Finally, how were the lines animated or masked so that they reveal per the trajectory initially drawn?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Borgus1,

- "Original" map in track 1.
- Motion path drawing (created and saved via Paint Designer) in track 2.
- Modified map “mask” with clean transparent straight lines (created in a photo editor), in track 3.

Actually you don’t even really need to put or leave the "Original" map in track 1, after you have completed creating your drawing overlay in Paint Designer.
I just included and showed all elements in the tutorial, to give it all some “context” as to the steps involved, for those who may be new to PowerDirector and creating a custom mask with transparency, in a photo editor.

________________________________________________________________________________

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 06. 2013 01:31

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Barry Said
friggin' pulse is enough to throw it off

You have a detectable pulse when using PD????

And here's me thinking video editing was the creative man's/ woman's yoga - all peace and tranquillity, letting the mind wander whilst the software brings your vision to life at the touch of a button.

CL says
...........enhances the entire footage for the fastest and most effortless video editing experience.

I take it you don't find it so?

Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: And here's me thinking video editing was the creative man's/ woman's yoga -

[Thumb - Crab_Yoga 2.png]
 Filename
Crab_Yoga 2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
377 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 06. 2013 01:16

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ynotfish
[Post New]
Barry -

Here's an alternative you might consider - you prompted this thought by saying you already had isolated the body parts as separate illustrations.

Rough example attached. Just a thought.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Highlight Bits.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
399 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
291 time(s)

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry,
Are you using a drawing tablet or a mouse?
For single monitor set ups (switch off dual monitor) a drawing tablet offers a little more dexterity when using a "pen" rather than a mouse. Drawing tablets are widely available and don't cost a lot if you avoid the big brand names. You might find the tool useful with an image editor as well. Just trying to make you avoid the other type of tablet.
Dafydd
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Seems I've poked a crab's nest with this topic!
Krankston's method is brilliant, but too roundabout, especially when CL should tweak the function.
If I ever managed to draw a few decent shapes I'd upload them to DZone.
Tony's idea is a thought, but rather than change color, I've animated the parts to move and enlarge them.
My method may not be suitable either, as a giant un-attached tongue floating in the air next to the Dr's noggin' is a bit off-putting.
I won't even mention the heinous results of an image search for "uvula". Yuck.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I just included and showed all elements in the tutorial, to give it all some “context” as to the steps involved, for those who may be new to PowerDirector and creating a custom mask with transparency, in a photo editor.

It's apparent that others following this thread embrace the concept shown in part 2 of the TOOT.
Forgive my ignorance, and humor me here. Getting down to basics...

A: A map with a path drawn over it - straight lines - is created in a paint program and saved as a PNG.

B: the lined path alone (no map) is shown in PD's PIP room. And it is animated.

How, precisely, did it morph from form A to B?

I do comprehend part 1 of the tutorial, using Paint Designer (somewhat wavy line). Thanks Cranston. ^
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
borgus1,

Answer to your question B.

PD 11 tutorial on using the Draw tool.
Animated Map Mask Tip - PowerDirector11 Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUsQvOpbso

The original Powerdirector 10 Draw tool tutorial.
PowerDirector 10 - How to use the new Drawing Tool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5h2BtKhbT8 Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi borgus1 -

All the technique shown in the tutorial does is hide the rough edges of the animated line created in Paint Designer... but allows the animation to be displayed. It's just a way of overcoming the weakness in Paint Designer that Barry & others have pointed out.

How, precisely, did it morph from form A to B?

Very precisely, since it's the same animated line with a little disguise. Have you tried it out?

Example attached.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Overlay_Animation.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
318 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
548 time(s)