CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote A message similar to this was displayed on my screen.
Just bought a LG GP65NB60 which is fully capable of double layer (8.7 GB) writing
Inserted a brand new 8.7 GB dvd blank
Power2Go insists it's 4.5 GB
What the heck?bubq
This seems to be an issue better suited to the SUPPORT staff.
This is starting to sound like a cap issue. Open your vcr and inspect it for leaking bulging swollen capacitors.
Did you copy the PDS project file or an actual video?
Does your tape match the region/VCR you are in? PAL? NTSC? SECAM?
Quote So the bottom line is that there is no way to automatically stop the capture when it hits blank tape. Correct ?
Correct.
You can, however, set capture time or size limit, but you'd need to know the length beforehand.
VHS capture requires babysitting.
Not only for time, but also to be sure the old tape in an old machine does not get destroyed.
Use your VCR to determine the time of capture.
Pop your tape in, set time on Vcr to zero, and fast forward till the counter stops. That is your timeline.
Since trying PDMobile the first time I was limited on how many timelines could contain video, one, and two image timelines.
This was disappointing but seemed to be a limit of my processor or version of Android.
My tablet is a lowly Samsung T290 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 429 and 2gig RAM.
The 429 is not yet listed on the PD Mobile support page.
Well, something, some update changed either by Samsung, Android, or Cyberlink, thank you.
I now can have THREE overlay video timelines, it is a much more capable and more fun app.
If you were unable to use multiple video layers last time you tried PDM, check again
Sonic is correct, you need a double-layer disc to get anything watchable.
Some people to still use DVDs, though the group is being whittled down for sure.
May I ask what the source file is? Is it originally from a tape?
Is it interlaced or not?
I have never been happy with PD deinterlacing if going to a streaming file from tape capture.
Quote The video bitrate is very low. It could make the video looks like broken or has moasic on it. That is probably the ghost you mentioned. Try recode your video in higher bitrate but the video file size will grow significantly.
You can't make something from nothing. Increasing the bit rate will only bloat the file size.
Does PD 16 claim to import M4v?
Perhaps an install of a codec pack may help.
I did find a file, altered the extension and it was fine in PD13 and 17.
The file had no apparent audio track.
I am looking for an authentic m4v to test. If one of my programs can make one I'll share it.
If you have purchased tracks/albums you'll need to copy them to the new installation.
I do not have PD19 but I imagine it would still work.
You need to go to SmartSound support and download/install the components.
smartsound.com/support
Screen recorder?
I do not have version 19, but you should be capturing from the capture card.
What is your capture hardware? What name shows up in the analog capture interface?
When you attach your capture dongle and enter the CAPTURE mode, do you see anything?
Are you using RCA or S-video connections?
Quote I just upgraded to version 19.2 and when I launched ......help or suggestions. Thank you, Eddie.

Ed, your issues are unrelated to this thread. You should ask in your own topic/thread.
In my humble (no laughing) opinion, I think you would be best served by getting your hands on a JVC with S-VHS ability.
Beware of Ebay. Buy with caution everywhere.
Get a Panasonic ES-10 or 15 as a pass-thru device.
Those 2 pieces together, maybe $200-250.
A decent dongle. $50 or so.
After you are done you can resell and get much of your money back.
A little bragging here...
you see in the previous post...the Elite BVP-4plus? Professional-level stuff.
You see those refurbished for upwards of $500.
I bought that one MINT for $106 off Goodwill auction site.
Yes, you heard me, Goodwill.
No kidding.
I mean, who but a nutjob would go hunting at Goodwill for good stuff?
Me I guess.
What a great score.
The MINT JVC on the bottom was $10 at SAVERS. TEN bucks. Friggin SAVERS! Nothing good is ever at SAVERS. Just this one time!
SCORE!
Linda,
welcome to the forum.
Sorry but Dazzle is a pig of a card.
Get a Hauppage USB Live 2, or a Diamond VC-500. Neither is a "top" card, but they are decent and will work in Windows 10.
Your VCR should have S-video out for better capture quality. Harder to come by these days. It starts with a good solid VCR.
If you must settle for RCA connections, so be it.
VHS is interlaced, so I prefer, if using Powerdirector, to capture using MPEG2, but I bump up the bitrate to 12,000, because I will inevitably need to render once more after fixing colors, and masking the cruddy edges, then use a normal HQ setting.

Prepare for eye-rolls...

I always capture lossless AVI, with a HuffYUV codec, using VirtualDub freeware. It makes huuuge files, but it's exactly what is on the tape, with litttle to no compression loss. Then after fixes in PD, I can THEN render to a proper video file for TV, web, whatever.

Whatever you use, you should place a Time Base Corrector in your workflow. But unless you have 2K lying around you can't find one anymore.
Workflow
I would suggest getting an old Panasonic ES-10 or ES-15 DVD recorder to act like a poor man's TBC.
You do NOT record to DVD with it, just pass the signal through. It will reduce or eliminate dropped frames and wobbles.
It will also eliminate the tearing (bend at the top of the video) you sometimes see at the top of VHS tapes while viewing. It's miraculous in that respect.
You need the remote to shut off the overzealous Noise Reduction to avoid "clay face". Too much NR causes smearing and loss of detail, hence clay face.

Yes, a lot to digest, but you want to do a better job, right? A windows 7 or XP computer is actually best for capture.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. I will gladly spurt out more if you ask.
The premier resource for analog capture and restore world is DigitalFAQ.com.
Go to: