Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Better Resolution Tweeks
Argonaut [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2012 06:43 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
I've been working with Powerdirector version 21.3.2727.0 for awhile. It is a powerful program, but there is quite a learning curv to master it's many capabilities. I'm not a professional. I'm just tryin g to put together a video tribute to my mother to share with family and friends. She passed away at 107, so I have lots of material to work with; jpegs, video, audio. So far, I am not pleased with the resolution / clarity of the end result when I export to create an MP4 from the project timeline. Seems like a lot of definition is lost. Am I missing some simple tweaks that will produce a better, higher resolution mp4 for burning to a DVD? Thanks.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry about your mother. She lived a long life. The DVD maximum resolution is 720 x 480/ 60i or 640 x 480 from mp4, whereas your computer monitor or tv resolution is at least 1920 x 1080/ 60p. That is 3X higher in horizontal resolution. That is why the DVD doesn’t look sharp.

There are many options. I would produce those on my timeline to 4K. And put the mp4 file on a small usb flash drive to distribute to family members to view on a modern 4K TV or on their pc. If any of the family members have a Blu-ray player, you have the option of creating a BD or AVCHD to distribute to them in 1080/60p or 720/60p on disc or on a usb flash drive. The sharpness is better than what is on a DVD.
Argonaut [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry about your mother. She lived a long life. The DVD maximum resolution is 720 x 480/ 60i or 640 x 480 from mp4, whereas your computer monitor or tv resolution is at least 1920 x 1080/ 60p. That is 3X higher in horizontal resolution. That is why the DVD doesn’t look sharp.

There are many options. I would produce those on my timeline to 4K. And put the mp4 file on a small usb flash drive to distribute to family members to view on a modern 4K TV or on their pc. If any of the family members have a Blu-ray player, you have the option of creating a BD or AVCHD to distribute to them in 1080/60p or 720/60p on disc or on a usb flash drive. The sharpness is better than what is on a DVD.

Tomasc - Thanks for the help. Good advice. - Bob
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The jpegs are compressed images, and your videos likely are too.
If producing to view as a file, then MP4 (progressive).
If producing a disc them MPG2 (interlaced).
Do not use the produced MP4 as your DVD stock because it will be converted/compressed for a third time.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 08. 2023 15:21

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Argonaut [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry about your mother. She lived a long life. The DVD maximum resolution is 720 x 480/ 60i or 640 x 480 from mp4, whereas your computer monitor or tv resolution is at least 1920 x 1080/ 60p. That is 3X higher in horizontal resolution. That is why the DVD doesn’t look sharp.

Tomsac - Thanks again. I found earlier posts from you around this same topic.

"You may want to look into creating an AVCHD Disc on DVD. This is 720/60p and 1080/60p quality on a DVD. No BD drive is needed, just a plain DVD drive. The created disc can be played from any pc with only a DVD drive and on higher end Sony standalone BD players."

Also, to me: "I would produce... to 4K. And put the mp4 file on a small usb flash drive... to view on a modern 4K TV or on their pc... The sharpness is better than what is on a DVD." This seems like my best option. I want the highest resolution possible to play on my 4K 3840X2160 TV. Your advice is much appreciated. Any other thoughts?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I do not believe a DVD player can play an AVCHD disc.
You need a BR disc player.
The alternative is to create an ISO or folder and play it in software.
Pardon me and correct me if I'm wrong. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT