Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
If using firewire then you will have best results capturing with WinDV or Scenalyzer, both free, and the captured video will be easily ingested into any version of PD.
It is possible you can use S-Video out if your camcorder is so equipped, and using a USB converter dongle, so you can capture lossless in other free programs such as VirtualDub but unless you plan on extensive restoration stick with FireWire.

Yes, I know there is a possibility.
But I want to rip the footage in an uncompressed format (possibly with a lossless codec like UTVideo or lossless H264).
Ripping to AVI gives me that option (I think), but that resolution is missing from the list.
PD will import lossless files but cannot create them. AVI files will be enormous, they can be cleaned up filtered and compressed to lossless in several excellent freeware.
Please, Cyberlink...I know you're watching...add lossless, a MagicYUV plugin would be killer, and fewer fun holiday packs...
No error message attached.
Edit: Duh, now I see it in the title.
What is the file-type you wish to capture? It seems like AVI.
What is your converter, ez-cap, or a similar no-name?
Is it all tapes or just 1 tape?
S-video or RCA?
Do you have any time base correction?
An inexpensive TBC-ish device would be an ES-10 or ES-15 Panasonic DVD recorder used only in pass thru, it may help.
Quote What is the best 3rd party effects software for changing the color scheme and adding some detail/clarity to a video? Im looking into trying to find one that has a decent amount of options and obviously one that will work with the current version of Powerdirector lol. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Other than ColorDirector, and the in-house "fix enhance" controls, nothing is available.
diddly
squat
zip
nada
New Blue...gone
Boris...gone
Plenty of cheese, nothing of real use.
Quote The VCR I'm using is an old Zenith style. I thought that what I had should work. My way of thinking, I have a vcr that will play the tapes and the PD12 kit hooks up to my vcr and my computer so push play push record and I should be on my way to recording a family vhs tape. At least thats what I thought.
Zenith never made a VCR worth plugging in.
If you have just 1 tape, farm it out if you want a decent capture.
However...
if you are adamant...use a different software to capture, and get a Panasonic ES10 or 15 as a pass-thru image stabilizer because your Zenith will treat your tape like it's got the after-the-party shakies.
What is your entire workflow? I know PD12 is the software.

VCR? It all starts with a decent VCR.
S-video?

Fenman is correct, it's a dirty signal mistakenly seen as Macrovision.
Other software, free, might ignore it and you can then use ANCIENT V12 for editing.
In some cases you'll only be able capture using Frame Time Base Correction to clean and rebuild the nasty signal.
Thats another thing altogether.
Happy New Year, Mista Fenman!
Quote I had this problem when I try using any of the bcc effect it would give me a message saying that the boris fx product is in trial mode. Well, I came across a post here on this forum telling me to reinstall the effect by uninstalling it and then the program will prompt me to install the effect when it doesn't find it.

So far so good, I went to the add/remove programs in my Windows settings and found the Boris FX continuum thing and uninstalled it and when I went to PowerDirector 365 it gave me an error that I clicked ok on and when I went to the fx tab it prompted me to install boris fx which I did.

Well, after installation and a reboot I can't find any of the bcc effects which used to be in the 3rd party effects tab. Any help in locating the effects that it installed and having the powerdirector 365 display it?

Version of my powerdirector 365 is 21.1.2401.0
Maybe System Restore? Except for the old SmartSound plug-in (still available) the 3rd party items, sigh, just a headache.
Thank you, Jeff.
I am just beginning use of V20 and not entirely thrilled so far. Maybe I'll get used to it...
In previous iterations of PD I always was able to pull from the top/bottom/sides and maintain aspect ratio.
Now, in V20, I must use the corners and that adds the task of re-centering the mask.
Not sure if bug or improvement!
Place a video in the 4:3 timeline.
Add a mask.
Be sure "keep aspect ratio" is ticked.
Adjust mask.
Fail, it squishes and squeezes as it pleases.
Please test.
I tried it again with a color board and it is the same behavior.
Please post results.
I just installed PD20 and it has been a mess.
After 20 versions it still ruins previous installations of New Blue and BorisFX.
I should have known better, Cyberlink NEVER got this right, and it seems lots of people have a different experience with the same issues. Some get a prompt to reinstall Boris, I did not.
My other New Blue installations are a mess, double icons, unregistered, 1/3 of them no longer work in my other PD versions.
It's great when a new installation can ruin previous versions.
Why did I not listen to the little voice that said DON'T DO IT!!!?
My PD17 was just fine, except for the inability to capture more than 4.1Gb of video (idiotic bug at this point).
I will submit a ticket but I'm just here to bitch in public, because CL earned it.
Well...I'm very pleased to have received a reply from Support.
They reproduced the error and are escalating to troubleshoot it (my words).
Support was clear and friendly and so we shall see if they can issue a patch.
Good for them if they issue an update for an older product version.
Quote Registry hack or not, these problems need to be reported to Cyberlink support as forum users are not allowed to reverse engineer or hack the program. I would not ask any user to spend the time to fix it without being paid to do so.
Maybe registry repair/fix is the better term.
I bet it is a simple registry hack, but maybe not so simple to me!
Something is corrupted, that's my guess.
The C: drive is NTFS, no surprise there, capturing to my desktop.
Ill try my external, and maybe install PD14 to try.
This, if I recall is only a 17 problem as it happens on my other machine.
EDIT: A ticket has been submitted. I do not expect much, honestly, it is after all version 17,
however... better functionality and fewer sticker packs would be a better use of resources.
Im running PD17, capturing VHS to MP4, but I keep hitting an obstacle, it says I have insufficient disk space, free up some space, but I've got plenty of free space.
My workaround is of course to join the several captured files later, but that is unacceptable.
So, has anyone had this happen?
Did you find a solution?
It only happens in the capture module, all my other capture programs have no issue, so it IS A PD issue!
I'd like some input before I contact Support.
Opto has the right idea.
2 images of the same image, one reversed, or it actually be anything the same size (just for visual smoothness).
Key the first image to shrink bringing the left and right sides together till they all but disappear and then, after previously keying the second image to near-nothing expand the left and right sides to the size you intend.
It will appear to be rotating.
I've used transitions, also.
Please provide the exact version/build of PD17.
A dxdiag file of your pc, attached, may provide additional clues.
Good capture requires a good playback device whether camcorder or VHS deck.
Preferred is the s-video for a cleaner image, using a well-running clean device such as a JVC or Mitsubishi.
If you can find a machine with TBC you'll be far better off. As a poor man's TBC you can try the Euro version of Panasonic ES-10 or ES-15 DVD recorder.
Do not use the ES to record to DVD, just use it as a pass-thru to stabilize the image, and only if the image needs it, as the pass-thru can have some small degredation of the image. It's always a trade-off with tape.
Go to: