Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: If there is time for argument there is time to fix the problems presented

The BEST WAY to fix problems presented is to eliminate them before they become a problem

2nd best is to fix them quickly when they do become a problem

technical talent and customer appreciation should not be on different sides of the ball

no one wins that way

Fully agree - which is why I re-issued the question. It is not a problem yet but in communication there are always 2 parties to tango... so I'll wait again for a response which hopefully is forthcoming.
Some weeks back I asked customer services what to do in my situation: I have a PD7 OEM version pre-installed on my pc. This was completely removed upon installation of the PD9 trial version. If want to buy PD9, do I need the full price version or an upgrade (from PD7). The latter might want to check there is/was a previous version and currently PD7 is gone and I cannot restore it without going back to a "factory install" which is not what I want to do.

No answer was given upto now. I re-issued the same question yesterday so I hope an answer is forthcoming. I am a little surprised the first time round got no reply. But if someone here knows the answer, I'd be happy to hear.
Just a guess: would it work if you can combine 5-10 clips and produce a file in the final format. Then create a new project using this one produced file as the first entry and then adding 10 more clips and repeat the process. Instead of 10 you might try 20 or any number that works.

Usually if too much won't work, ten times 1/10th of too much might just do the trick. Agreed: a workaround, but at least you can continu to work.
I agree - PD9 is far more stable than PD8 which I tried and rejected. And it does most of what I need/want.
But the output features for disc / folders on hard drive leave lots to be desired. But I can work around part of it (with lots of extra steps and time) until Cyberlink gets this sorted out.
Quote: By the way...have you try my program?.

No I haven't because for my test runs I already had German, Dutch and English audio and subtitles (synced with Jubler) created for the entire program using another tool for DVD output. So the test run for PD is to attempt to do the same with PD for AVCHD output.

Good to know that the utility is consistent with PD input/output - I would not have expected anything else ;

I'm in my final days of the trial period but cannot tryout AVCHD disc output using multiple subtitles and audiostreams (to see if that works allowing selection of either one) as "Disc" doesn't work (complaining about no space left although there is plenty - a known/reported issue - and refusing Harddrive output on BluRay or AVCHD if it doesn't fit DVD9) and "produce" mixes all into a single stream which won't do of course.
All the editing/adjusting features of PD9 are great sofar, but in the end useless if one cannot output stuff properly and without hassle.
Quote: Have you tried to use Jubler whit SRT files exported by PD?. PD use UCS-2LE and UTF-16LE Unicode format and not simple text.

UTF-16LE it understands, UCS-2LE not. So the result is that importing srt from Jubler to PD9 works fine, but output from PD9 results in rubbish (see attachment).

In my experiments I seem to encounter more problems with other tools not understanding what PD outputs. E.g. AVCHD m2ts output is not understood by tsmuxer. I need to wrap it into a mkv file first (mkvtoolnix) before it does. With that many standards I don't know who bends the rules of the standards, but it is annoying. (All this because disc production doesn't allow smart fit to DVD9)
Am I right in assuming one can only add one subtitle track to the movie?

If so, it looks like a tool to sync titles with everything else in place and then export it into a srt file and repeat steps with other subtitle streams. In the end you then need a proper tool to author DVDs or AVCHD or BluRay discs to include all those subtitles. Of course the entire subtitling can be done using another tool - open source Jubler comes to mind. But I do like an "All-in-1" tool to do all video, audio and subtitle editing if possible. And a working disc producing part allowing to smart-fit the disctype selected.

Apart from (ex) Ulead's DVD Workshop V2 and AVCHDCoder I am not aware of any sofar.
There is a very handy open source subtitle tool called Jubler (google for it) that amongst its many features has Tools > Synchronize to sync subtitles to a movie but also has Tools > Shift time where all selected titles are moved by an offset time.
This way you might have multiple film entries (each say 30 minutes duration) with subtitles all starting at 0:00 . The first you keep that way, the second you start at the offset of the end of part 1 + 0:30:00, the second at 1:00:00, the third on 1:30:00 etc. Then with the same Jubler or Notepad you can append all files together into a single subtitle file that has all subtitle parts neatly synced.
I second that! Smartfit AVCHD to 8.5 or 4.7 GB DVDs.

I got a movie that is produced as 6 GB m2ts file (AVC custom profile 10,000 bits). Reloaded it into a new project, but unfortunately the "Create Disc" for AVCHD 8.5 GB still claims it wants to make it 12 GB.
I don't see/understand why Create Disc wants to upscale/uprate rather than simply take the m2ts as-is (no changes made to it) and not re-render it. It should simply fit...
Yes it does. In Edit mode you can stretch or shrink your image as well as set the center of the picture (your own pan and scan). If your image is letterbox then obviously making it 4:3 you will loose some information on the side.
It is a good workaround - especially if you want to do more customization than is possible within PD9, and therefore used by many.
But the fact remains that given PD9 offers a DVD creation facility, and if you want it fast and simple, it should work rather than saying it ran out of disc space when there is still plenty left. The error message doesn't specify any details on where it thinks it ran out of space.
I may not have expressed myself clearly. In the end result no menu appears - as wanted.
However, selecting the Disc creation option and within it on the tab "Menu" the "No menu" option, the main screen still shows a rudimentary Bluray or AVCHD menu. Which is confusing, because it won't be in the end result.
See picture of this menu shown before you actually go to burning.
[quote=J
Perhaps the single menu visual you see in PD9 is the blue splash background and DVD wording at the top, this is not actually burnt to the disc.

Jeff

Yes, it showed like that when I used it. The appearance of this splash background and an entry you could text-edit made it confusing. Another program, Nero Vision, in those cases shows a red bar with "no menu" which is a more re-assuring splash. (This is all before suddenly PD9 decided that DVD burning could not be done at all by an "Error code:e8007000E. Not enough storage" message although there is plenty of space. But this is another post/thread).
I suddenly run into this problem too. After several succesful DVD 4 GB to folder burns of a project (making minor edits in between and re-create the DVD afterwards) suddenly it claims, almost immediately after starting the DVD creation process that it has insufficient room. Which cannot be true - the C drive containing temp files is 65 GB empty, the drive to contain the result even 280 GB.
Swapping from 4 to 8 GB DVD's, Best Quality or Smart Fit, it continues to issue the same error message.

Upto then I used "No menu" as option. Reverting to "Template 1" seems to make a difference.
It started to work upto 20% and then crashed. Restart and redo works again - to 20% before crashing.

Then I tried the Produce version for an MPEG2 file with preview during rendering. That completed without problems.
I haven't tried a VCD as it requires disc burning (no folder on hard dive).
Creating a AVCHD folder for 8.5GB also went without problems.

With some reservations, it seems the errors are related to the DVD production.
I was also looking for a way to create a DVD that would start playing with no menu whatsoever. The "no menu" option seemed the way to go, but in my case, the trail PD9 makes all entries in the "no menu" unavailable except for "Apply to all pages" or "Cancel". Using "Apply" however, does not entirely remove the menu - it gives another menu with a single icon/button to start the movie.

Is there a way to really eliminate any and all menus?
Just for academic interest, I restored my older system configuration (unmodified OEM Nvidia GeForce GT230 drivers) and re-installed PD9. It shows the eye/cross icon while it starts up and loads the library entries available as a sofar unused system. As soon as control is given to the user, the eye/cross icon disappears.
I've installed PD9 yesterday and it seems a lot more stable than PD8 and has more HD options for input and output that I was looking for. So I gave it a swirl and as exercise tried to add titles to an existing 720p movie. Initially that worked fine and the titles showed in the title window as well as previewing the entire movie.
But after a few titles suddenly the titles did not show anymore in the preview window when playing the movie.
I noticed the eye/cross icon at the left side of the title track had gone (or was never there to start with - I did not paid attention to it at the start).

Other people have also run into this problem and it is indeed solved if the title blocks are moved to another movie track. But that is obviously not the intention. Also, it doesn't allow to make a production with or without those titles (the function of the eye/cross icon).

I've removed/reinstalled PD9 but that seems to make no difference. The eye/cross icon remains absent.
Opening the original project with the invisible titles showed them still invisible. And new ones added were also invisible.
Removing the movie and replacing it by the one that came with installation (nature.mpg) made no difference. Titles not shown.

However, the odd thing is that starting an entirely new movie and using nature.mpg again, I could add titles in the title track and they do show - but the eye/cross still missing. The only way now not to show them is physically remove them entirely. Re-importing the 720p movie I started with initially, also showed the titles while the eye/cross is missing.

I'm puzzled to say the least. The screen capture enclosed is of the new project (where the titles show) but the eye icon still missing.
Back to the main topic: I've found a OEM update of the NVIDIA drivers and installed it (see dxdiag - a difference with the earlier one shows changes only in the driver area). Then ran PD9 again and saw the eye briefly appeared in the title track (but perhaps it did before too, I didn't notice) but with only the provided files at installation, it disappeared again before one gets control.

I removed the program installation, rebooted and installed PD9 again. Starting it showed no change: a brief appearance of the eye but removal before you get control. Pity.
No it is not a ripped commercial movie as it has not been released commercially - otherwise I'd have bought it (but I would still try to add the credit titles to it that seem to have gone lost in the film originals that remain). It is a HD TV broadcast.
The NVIDIA driver is on a OEM videocard GeForce GT230 that came as an "out of the box" media-pc that seems to have no update (as far as I could find sofar). GT230 is unknown to NVIDIA at least.

Re-installing might be a temporary solution but who guarantees that the same event won't happen again? You cannot keep reinstalling repeatedly to be taken seriously.

I could extract the movie from its mkv file as mt2s file (which is the only thing inside the mkv file) and see if it makes a difference. I was already pleasantly surprised that PD9 did recognize mkv. Unfortunately not my SD or HD .trp files from the satellite receiver. But that's another topic.
I'll have a look for newer NVDIA drivers, although I'm quite happy with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.
Fortunately I can restore a previous configuration if needed. It seems odd though that this one eye icon is affected by the drivers whilst others are not.

The mkv file doesn't have any subtitles of its own. But as I said later, any example movie shows the same problem. In fact opening PD9 without any movie initially on the timeline already shows the title track without eye/cross.
Looking at the two pics - in both the preview window is black probably due to the direct video control of that part of the screen. But the "eye" is definitely gone in the title bar.

I've experimented also a little with one of the short movies that came with the installation - the same problem. Any new project, any restart of the program PD9 keeps the eye/cross removed from the title bar.
So it was briefly there after the installation and starting to use it, but at some point it disappeared and remains gone.
Go to: