Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hear tips for creating large projects
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
I’m editing about 30GB of video recorder on this last vacation. It’s about 15 days of 600mb to 1 GB of videos each and the estimate total movie time will be about 1.5 hours, planed to be recorded in a BD media. Each day project has subtitles and comments.

When I finish all 15 projects, what do I do?

1. Produce a BD mpeg2 file for each and the create a master project with all of them them?. That will be a first solution, but there will be two problems: a) I lose quality b) I have to recreate all subtitles again

2. Import all 15 projects in one. But I think there will be one major problem: it will be too much for PD9

Any suggestions?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nicolas,

My first tip would be to cut your video down to a max of 20 minutes. Honestly it has been the bane of families subjected to home movies since time began, too long, too boring.

Keep it short, keep it interesting. If you really need it longer make a second video for a later second sitting.

Cheers

Robert My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
hi Nicholas,

Robert is correct, the main object of making home DVD's, is to keep the "punters" happy, keep it neat, short and sweet.
Any school teacher will tell you, the attention span of a child is only a few minutes, then their minds begin to wander and you've lost them. Same with adults, too long and they lose interest. A 20 minute video is likely to be watched, but if they know it's going to run for an hour or more, they will put off viewing as long as possible.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, thanks for the advice. The video I’m making is not just a family movie. It’s has history and a it’s a full production movie. A normal heavy movie takes from 90 to 120 minutes in the cinema. Please answer my question if I produce 15 mpeg files or ….? Or just go to Sony Vegas?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
good luck My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: A normal heavy movie takes from 90 to 120 minutes in the cinema.

I suspect they have a slightly bigger budget and a script writer involved Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
Good luck with Sony Vegas. I pulled all my hair out with that program. PD 9 is much easier to use for me.
I am happier than a fat lady in a pastry shop!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2011 11:40

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Twincitybulldog, I just mention Sony Vegas just to mention it, because I hate that program and PD9 is up today my favorite. That’s why I’m asking if somebody have mad a long play movie for blu-ray and is better to create single projects and then joined together without losing quality.

PJC3, there are 3 people involved in the movie and editor7writer, a especial effects composer and the producer/director. They all family so its not a big budget.

Cheers,
Nicolas
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
With both PD8 and PD9 I find that making several short (<15 min) segments and then stitching them together in a final edit saves a lot of time when one has to make make changes later. This way if a problem occurs in the production phase the corrective action takes little effort. Win 10, i7
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

PJC3, there are 3 people involved in the movie and editor7writer, a especial effects composer and the producer/director. They all family so its not a big budget.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Then I await the release in anticipation! Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Quote: With both PD8 and PD9 I find that making several short (<15 min) segments and then stitching them together in a final edit saves a lot of time when one has to make make changes later. This way if a problem occurs in the production phase the corrective action takes little effort.
Thank you! . Thats an advice!. Im will create the 15 projects (from 5 to 15 minutes each). For each, I will produce a HD BD MPEG just in case. Then join all 15 projects in one and try to create a final BD folder. If that doesnt work, i willl have to use tha MPEGS to create a final project editing allsubtitles again. Lets see what is the results. Thank you.

Quote: Then I await the release in anticipation!
The movie is about "La Gran Sabana" in Venezuela and if you behave yourself, I send the blu-ray end on your next birthday.!

---------------------Edited--------------------
I have another question about my final Blu-Ray. In "Create Disc" you have two video encoding formats: H.264 and MPEG2, since I’m using full HD, the following are the available quality’s:

H.264
========
HD 1920x1080i
HD 1920x1080p
HD 1920x1080i (24 mps)

or

MEPG2
========
HD 1920x1080i (no progressive available)

Which format, quality, interlace or progressive may i use or suggest?. Doing some test, I found that MPEG2 have sharper image than H.264 but takes more space.

Thanks in advance.Cheers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2011 08:55

NicolasNY
[Post New]
I just figured out myself. I’m write it down my own conclusions and any other comments are welcome:
In order to create a big Blu-Ray project, I follow these simple rules:

1. Always create sub-projects. Divide your movie idea in small projects about 10 to 15 minutes each. You can add “subtitles” but don’t waste your time adding “chapters”, because you are going to lose them in the next step. The “subtitles” can be exported or saved in a produced clip, depends on how you are going to assemble the final project (see 2.2.b).

2. Assemble one final project with the sub-projects. At this point, you may have two routes to go. Both have pros and cons:

2.1. Importing the PD9 sub-projects into one big project
PROS
-Save time. Add chapters and create your disc with the same profile of your original footage
CONS
-You may have a fast and very stable system to prevent PD9 crash and have a fast editing performance in large projects

2.2. Importing sub-projects video clips and assembles a one final project.
PROS
-Much more stable
-Easer to edit and view your entire project in the time line
CONS
- Slower:
a) Need to produce a video clip of each sub-project (you may use a bigger sample rate in order to not lose original footage quality)
b) You may need to add “subtitles” if you want your BD menu have the subtitle option or just produce your sub-projects videos with subtitles included.
c) Add chapters
d) Create your disc with the same profile of your sub-projects footage

In both cases, use the following rules:
- Always use the same profile of your original footage.
- Always use the same or bigger sample rate if you don’t want to lose quality
- Always use the same pixel of your original footage. Example: if your original video is 1440x1080 don’t waste your time in create a 1920x1080 BD because it just consumes more space in your disc and you will not notice the difference.
-What I’m not really sure, it’s about if you decide to create a Interlace or Progressive disc, but there are not much options in PD9 and maybe depends in where are you going to watch the movie.

============= EDITED =============
I still have not decided what route to take, but for now, we're just doing the sub-projects. So I'am still in time to hear more Suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2011 12:27

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
AVC (H264) is a more compressed video format than mpeg2, thus it takes longer to render, but takes up less space. Which is why it is used by most camcorders today. On a large screen I've found it difficult to determine much difference between the two formats. The exception is on video footage that involves fast action - meg2 appears better. AVC 1080i seems to be better than AVC 1080p for action shots. Note that BD 1920x1080 produces a 1080p video while HD mpeg2 is a 1080i version. Also note that some older BD players may not be able to play 1080p formats.
In the end you have to determine which format best suits your needs. If all of your projects are mpeg2 you can always re-render them to AVC (h264) with no noticeable difference. The reverse is not always as successful. Win 10, i7
NicolasNY
[Post New]
HDedit,

I will follow your suggestions about formats. All My original footage is AVCHD 1080i, so I will try to stay and create all in H.264. In those cases were fast transitions and movements are involved, I will produce them in MPEG2 1080i, but the final work will be in AVCHD 1080i. I already have made some test on it. Thanks.

I will definitively go to method 2.2. Importing sub-projects video clips and assembles a one final project. I made some test and the quality its practically the same (no visible changes in quality using produced files from sub-projects). Method 2 produces the same final movie result, with better performance in the edition.

Regards,
Nicolas
NicolasNY
[Post New]
I reconsidered and thought it better to create all sub-projects 1080i 24Mbps MPEG2 format before importing the final bill. So I make sure of 2 things: 1) Improvement in fast actions 2) Improvement in quality. The BD disc you create with the same MPEG2 format. What do you think?
All vodi
[Post New]
Your projects will always produce faster if you keep all your videos in the same format (PD does not have to re-render that way). Win 10, i7
NicolasNY
[Post New]
But if you want a final nice release, use MPEG2 if you add fast actions PIP’s or transitions. Doesn’t matter the time it will spend to render.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Suggestion to CL next generation PD for Importing Subtitles

There is an option button to import subtitles from a SRT or TXT file. Well, the bad think is that the subtitles that you import, will replace all subtitles that you have create in a main project, starting from time 00:00:00:00.

It will be a nice suggestion, that imported subtitles will be placed starting at the timeline cursor position, so you can import subtitles from other subprojects. This way you don’t have to rewrite all subtitles, if you would like to assemble a big project from subprojects.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Would be nice but in the meantime maybe try this workaround.

.srt files are text based and can be edited.
Produce separate .srt files for each sub project.
Therefore it is possible to combine .srt files "manually" in notepad or other plain txt editor.

However, each subproject .srt will start at time 0 so timings would have to be manually edited, or use search and replace etc etc which becomes hard work.

Alternatively, insert a spacer (or move the project start) to "artificially" set the sub-project to the "correct" time (equal to it's start position in the main project), enter the subtitles, save the .srt for the sub-project, ready for incorporating into the "main" full project .srt

Repeat for each sub-project.

Edit the main .srt by using all the individual sub-project .srts (in the right order ) and then import this main project .srt to the main project.

I've tested it but I've never done it on a big project but it might be worth a try??

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Whooo .. Rider,

You have me ahead on the curve. That's what I thought and if at the end the project, I will make a Visual Basic script to change the entry time of each subtitle SRT file imported.

I see that we all agree and we know what the Bugs of PD and for that we are all here, to bring some ideas for the future.

Course, would be simpler if CL integrated into the program. Of course, there are many things you can create a script to modify various parameters of PD projects, since the file. PDS is nothing more than a file. XML

Cheers