Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Title effects not showing in production
homevideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2010 11:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
On the Edit page in PowerDirector (9.0.0.2330a, trial version) I'm able to put my video in a video track, and then add titles in the title track (one at the beginning with a fade in over the video, and one at the end with credits after video clip ends).

When I'm in the title editing window and press the 'play' button, the title does what I want and appears as expected over the section of the video clip it overlaps on the timeline).

However, when I exit the title editor window and view what should be the combination of the clip and titles (clip and its audio in track 1, added titles in the "T" track), they don't appear when pressing the preview play button. Only the video clip plays. The timeline marker runs over them, including the one that extends beyond the end of the video clip, but they don't appear in the preview viewer window, or in the final product burned to disk.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Select movie mode instead of clip mode below the preview window.

Jeff
homevideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried switching between clip/movie, but unfortunately it makes no difference. Also, you'd still expect the title to appear on the final disk burn wouldn't you? Looks like something else is going on ...

Brian
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, they should have shown during the Create disc operation. The clip/movie mode only controls the preview viewer and does not affect production or create disc operations. Can you attach a screenshot of your project timeline, this might give us some clues.

Jeff
homevideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I ran into another problem that I just posted (regarding libguide40.lib). Looks like there may be some underlying software/library conflicts on this particular machine as PD9 works as expected on a 2nd test machine I just installed on. I've been evaluating several NLEs (Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Studio HD, Nero Platnium Suite HD) and they may have installed something that conflicts with PowerDirector. Looks like I'll be doing a rebuild to get a clean install and see if that fixes the problem.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
You know homevideo I could save you a lot of work.

I have trialled virtually all of the video editing programs including the very expensive ones and I will give you one guess which one I chose.

One thing you won't find though in just trying out the programs, you won't find out how good their forums are for those inevitable questions. The PD forum is the icing on the cake for me, it is full of very knowledgeable people who are willing to help, not something you will find in many other video editing forums. One of the programs I tried and actually liked took 2 months to receive a reply to my question and their email support was just as useful.

Have fun and hope to see you back here after your trials.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
You should be able to insert titles on a video - however - at the end of the video you may want to insert a coloured board. This gives it more stability.

Too many video editing programs on one computer can have an adverse effect on all of them.

I've used may programs in the past (Sony Vegas - iMovie - Final Cut Express to name a few) but by far the best 'bang for your bucks' and the easiest to use is Power Director.

I totally agree with Robert's comments too. Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

homevideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the comments. At the end of the day the two most important things to me were a) final product playback quality and b) speed. While there were some things I liked on other products better in either the editing interface, hot keys, or additional encoder setting controls, for end product playback quality PD and Adobe Premiere Elements 9 came out on top. Sony Vegas 10 tied on quality without menus, but adding menus required a 2nd encoding which tossed it out of the running. Nero was in the 2nd tier in terms of quality. For speed, it wasn't even close. Only PD used my GPU (after a registry tweak:http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14156.page#71894) to accelerate the encoding process so that a 50m 1920x1080i uncompressed video AVI source file (360GB) rendered to 24Mbps H264 blu-ray in two hours (vs. days for some of the other products). Absent that speed difference it would have been a toss-up (for me) between PD and Adobe. I hope PD expands the out-of-the-box supported GPU list so that more folks can take advantage of that capability without having to discover undocumented tricks to enable their GPU.

As soon as I can verify on the rebuilt machine that the crash quirks go away, I'll make the PD purchase. I look forward to learning from forum members and the hospitality demonstrated to a newbie. Thanks for the warm welcome.

LFMOON217 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Baraboo, WI Joined: Dec 30, 2010 14:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the exact same problem, after spending about 12 hours creating a movie with video and title. In the last 15 minutes, though everything looks exactly the same, the titles are not appearing when the movie is played! I have no other similar programs loaded and am a complete newbie. What could possible have stopped them showing, and how do I reverse that???? I have a deadline of 6 pm to get this delivered...it's 1:18 now. HELP!!!!
LFMOON217 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Baraboo, WI Joined: Dec 30, 2010 14:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Good grief, I just figured this out myself, amazingly....when I took a screen shot to send you, I noticed there was a little red X in the title row. Clicked on that, it changed to an eyeball which I guess means they will be seen. It works!

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Yep, That's what I thought was the problem when I started reading this topic, the button is actually quite useful when producing to a disc or uploading the project to YouTube....Your project can have copyright free music on one track(used for producing project to YouTube) and on another music track you can have music from your CD collection. All you have to do is select that button to turn off the music track you don't want...but without a screenshot it is hard to tell. Glad you noticed it though.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Repelsteel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2011 15:45 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm a newby too and i have the same problem with the titles. They work in edit mode but dissapear in production. I also noticed that the title track in the timeline has no enable/disable icon (the eye/X) most of the time. When I open a new workspace the icon is there but as soon as i open a room the icon dissapears.

I assume that the dissapearance of the icon and the not showing of the titles in production are related, but have no clue how to solve this. Like homevideo I installed some other video editing software for evaluation too (pinnacle and powerdirector express in my case). Ive added a screenshot and a directX diagnostic.

Has anyone found a solution that works?

Thanks, Repel
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
328 time(s)
 Filename
PW_screen.doc
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
166 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
292 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 09. 2011 07:41

homevideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Reinstall didn't resolve anything. I finally solved the problem by moving the title to another video track. It worked fine after that (which makes me think a disabled title track, as suggested above, might have been the problem).
homevideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just went back in and looked at Title track (has a "T" and no audio). It doesn't have an eye that can be changed to a red 'X', so it would seem moving the title to a regular video track is the solution for now .....
deklerkt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2011 06:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I installed PD9 trial yesterday and it seems to be a lot more stable than PD8. So I retried adding titles to a project.
Initially it allowed adding them and previewing them both in title window as well as playing the movie.
After adding the third title suddenly no title shows anymore and the eye/cross icon next to the T symbol at the left margin disappeared. No titles anymore and not possible to re-enable either.

The editing of the titles and adding effects in the title track works.

From this thread, it seems there is definitely a programming problem with PD9 here.

Moving the titles to a movie track indeed reshows them and makes them useful. But there is definitely something wrong.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I installed PD9 trial yesterday and it seems to be a lot more stable than PD8. So I retried adding titles to a project.
Initially it allowed adding them and previewing them both in title window as well as playing the movie.
After adding the third title suddenly no title shows anymore and the eye/cross icon next to the T symbol at the left margin disappeared. No titles anymore and not possible to re-enable either.

Could you attach a screenshot showing the Title Track on the timeline where the "eye" has disappeared? The screenshot might be helpful to see your project's contents to see if anyone else might be able to reproduce it. If it isn't possible to reproduce it on other systems consistently then the problem may indicate something is on your unique PC causing this to happen. It might have occurred during installation or be hardware related...Windows update...Software on your system....it could be many things.

Posting a DxDiag file would also be helpful.

Kevin
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
As requested - both captures show title in title bar as well as moved to a movie bar (where it shows)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDiag.txt
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
354 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2011 09:58

deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Looking at the two pics - in both the preview window is black probably due to the direct video control of that part of the screen. But the "eye" is definitely gone in the title bar.

I've experimented also a little with one of the short movies that came with the installation - the same problem. Any new project, any restart of the program PD9 keeps the eye/cross removed from the title bar.
So it was briefly there after the installation and starting to use it, but at some point it disappeared and remains gone.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Thanks for providing the screen shot....VERY helpful. I am not an expert on mkv files. But that is what you are using.....Does it happen to have "subtitles" associated with it? I know from reading about these files that mkv video files can have subtitles associated with it and the video that you have imported is a copyrighted movie from the looks of it and that may be causing the problem. I don't know what exactly, but that would be my guess, is that the mkv file is causing the "Title" track to not work correctly. Again...simply a guess.

We would have to import the same video file to see if we could duplicate it on our systems.

Do you have this problem you described when you use any other video file type? Or just this mkv video file.

Regards,

Kevin

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
You answered my question with your next post! I was curious if it was happening with other video clips and apparently it does.

If I can find it....I will have to dig...but I swear that someone had posted a similar problem....if not the exact same one...of the "eye" vanishing from the track. But I can't seem to find it using the search function. It might be buried in another topic.

KEvin