Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I stuck with PD14 when I saw the early pains of PD15. I might stick with PD14, again, this time until I see:

• Some positive performance benchmarks on PD16

• Some indication of a better integration with AMD/ATI video cards; I know Nvidia rules, but still

• Some reassurance that, beyond flashy new features, the developpers have stabilized code that's already there

Quote:
Quote: Does anyone have PD15 and both GPU cards to make a comparison? I don't even use PD for editign much. I load a HDTV MPEG2 file, trim the ends and produce to MP4. So I'm literally just interested in how fast PD15 can transcode using nVidia vs AMD. Over the years, it seems that Cyberlink favored nVidia with better CUDA code and didn't really optimize code for ATI/AMD.

So is there anyone out there that can do a realistic comparison?

These 2 link might help you in your quest to choose a video card. You may want to purchase PD15 first to test your amd card for hevc (h.265) encoding. There is a 30 day money back guarantee. See this link : http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49020.page#257400 . Third thread down link has a hardware encoding speed test comparing a nvidia with a amd graphics card.

I don’t see how you can go wrong with either card. Most users would probably choose the nvidia for speed. You can always switch to the Intel graphics in situations where you want hardware encoding and maybe have the best of both world.

The referenced benchmark seems to me pretty skewed to gaming performance, nothing to do with encoding IMO. And then there's JL_JL's posts on how HA can deteriorate your encoded output.

In my mind, if one GPU let me encode 2x or 3x faster than the other, without artifacts, I would consider a video card upgrade.

If I have a short 10 minute clip that I could produce in ½ the time, then that becomes interesting, because I'll most likely be sitting at my PC until completion. My reality is that I produce stuff that's 1-2 hours long, so I'll kick it off, go to bed and see the results in the morning. Now, if a GPU let me do that in 30-60 seconds... but that's way off.
Quote: May not help much since that is a different app. I thought PD14/15 now uses NVENC only. Now that new GPU cards are available and prices have come down to something more realistic, I'm looking to purchase soon. All benchmarks are for gaming only and I don't think that translates to video rendering.

I've stuck with ATI over the years. It seems all the posts here are about Nvidia. ATI has historically aligned with gaming, but ATI's marketting keeps promoting the rendering value of their product. So I googled to see some benchmarks. Although I did find benchmarks, for example this one, they vary according to what application is in use.

So, to your point, are there any benchmarks for PD, Nvidia -vs- ATI (AMD) and using which profile?
Isn't that what Color Director does?
I understand the logic of opening a new suggestion forum, but at the same time I'm afraid CL won't pay much attention to the suggestions in the PowerDirector13 forum, most of which after haven't been implemented in PD14.

What would be nice also is for CL to post some statement as to suggestions being potential features or definite rejects.
Quote: Hello all,

"Not returning to chapter menu when chapter has ended" problem.

I think I've lost count of the number of posts regarding "not returning to chapter menu when chapter has ended" problem. It's clearly confusing many people and I think part of the reason for this is the unclear distinction between "Titles", "Scenes", "Projects" and "Chapters". A simple glossary explaining these elements would be useful and informative. I think another reason for users being confused by the "not returning to chapter menu when chapter has ended" problem is that many, many DVD authoring packages allow users to set how the program behaves after a chapter has been played. For example, Pinnacle Studio allows you to return to the menu after each chapter, if required. Using PD 13, if you want to return to the menu after each of your current Chapters you would need to have each of your current Chapters as a separate pds project, not simply chapters in a one project. Since so many users seem to want have the option to be able to return to the menu after a chapter has played, it'd be great if Cyberlink issued an update to enable this. Best wishes, Kevin

+1+1+1
Quote: Click first where you want the fade to start. Then drag it down to create the fade.

First, select the clip to focus on by clicking on it. On the audio gain line of that clip, click where you want the fade to start: this will create a new dot on the audio track, THEN grab the dot that automatically shows up at the end of the audio clip and drag it down to zero.
I've had a similar but not identical situation (described in other thread). Your experience just adds to my suspicion that there's an internal bottleneck in PD13. It's somewhat unclear why PD13 struggles so much on systems with ample resources (see my signature).

The first thing many will jump on is you running W10. It may be worth it to try, although time consuming, to run in a W7 virtual partition (or other system) or ask another PD user to run your project and see the difference.

Regardless, I would suggest you officially submit a problem to CL, offering to upload your clip and project. The more issues documented, better the visibility of this issue.
Given some functions in Edit mode (ex: stabilizer, speedup...) appear to be very heavy in processing, sometimes making the preview unusable, is there anyway to get assistance from the video card acceleration in performing those?

P.S. I meant, once HA is back on course in PD13
And still no Hardware acceleration, with AMD anyway.
Quote: Hi CV27,
Take a look at the latest patch: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44734.page
In the patch, CyberLink have enhanced the stability of applying OpenCL2.0 effects in AMD/NV VGA.
I had referred your post to CyberLink.
Dafydd

See my post in thread here
Quote: ***** PowerDirector13 patch (v3130) **** 2015-08-10
Release note:
1. Implements the latest DailyMotion API that adopts the modified DailyMotion sign in mechanism.
2. Enhances the stability of OpenCL video effect acceleration technology on NVIDIA and AMD platforms.
3. Fix Win10 compatibility issues

I'm not entirely sure what the highlighted stability enhancement means, but if it relates to accelerated clips, I'm still seeing in Edit mode the video freeze, then jump forward. Using Normal resolution display, with and without shadow files. Had opened a bug ticket on this, issue being acknowledged by CL support.
Totally agree. I've asked for it in the "Cyberlink, listen to this suggestion" thread. Wouldn't hurt if you +1 overthere
Quote: ... Does "PowerDirector 13 Content Pack Essential" (4.6GB) contains the same content +more compared to "PowerDirector 12 Content Pack Essential"? (2.9GB)? In other words, can I safely delete the "PowerDirector 12 Content Pack Essential", or are parts of it still in use in PDR 13? Being able to delete it would safe me almost 3GB space on my (only) 128GB SSD ...

If you do a directory/file compare between the two, you'll find a few elements in the PD12 'Essential' directories not in the PD13 ones:

• Menus: Interactive, Memory, Petal

• Styles: Beach, Interactive

• Titles: references to PD11 titles

I've tried the above and, in my opinion: not worth hanging on to.

Then there's the premium packs: here it gets a bit more complicated.

One thing you could do is go into each of [Pip, Particle, Title] within Edit as well as [Menu] in Create and detect which is not a duplicate, then decide if you really want that element; if negative then remove the PD12 directories which you can do by: Control Panel / Programs & features and look for "Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 Content Pack Essential" (and Premium)

Your question made me realize the reason why I was seing double everything, since PD12 and PD13 have identically named elements under "Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates\..." which all show up in PD13. I'm removing the PD12 packs and getting 5GB back, so thanks for your post!

EDIT: Just realized after doing the Control Panel remove that the PD12 directories are still there but they now weight 1.8GB instead of 5GB. I finally hand deleted the directories.
Paul1945,

As I've written in other posts, when these situations occur, there are ample resources left (mem, IO, CPU), so no system level bottleneck in my opiniion. I suspect an issue with PD internal architecture (badly managed waits or badly synchonized multi-threading ?).

And there is no way those 2 small clips I was testing with were all that demanding.
Quote: ... Video preview will play for a few seconds, then the video jumps ahead and freezes. The audio continues to play normally

When audio catches up to where the video froze, the playback continues in sync. After a few more seconds, the video jumps forward again ...

I've had a very similar issue (video freeze and pick up again later while audio keeps going). In my case though, I was using video speed up (power tools) on the clips. I've also had issues when using the stabilizer. Lowering preview resolution often helped but not always and that's where it's strange; anything higher than 'normal' would hick up, with and without shadow files. File size was certainly not the issue (2 clips for testing: 163MB and 104MB). Ticket into CL.

This post won't help you, except for you to know you're not alone.
Hi,

I've attached the traditional dxdiag (32 & 64). As for mediainfo, I've been working with 137 clips across 4 projects and unfortunately don't remember precisely which clips triggered the issues; the same goes true for screenshots of problems; you know, you just want to move on and finish when you've going at it for hours and hours.

My post was mostly to get feedback from other more involved users.

I'm surprised, disappointed, no one posted similar behaviors. I suspect the casual user may not trigger these issues. I was hoping users that extensively use features (not simply drag to timeline and produce) would chime in as I suspect PD13 gets in trouble when asked to do many things concurrently. But then again, it might be a bad installation on my part or conflicts within my system.

But similar stability issues with other products in the past tells me it's a problem with most if not all function rich products: you race to cram in more functions, the product's logic gets so complicated, not enough time to fully test, no clear strategy for regression testing, deadlines, etc.

I do appreciate your help though and your line-in to CL.
I'm editing a project, mainly clip triming and applying the stabilizer fix. I'm not sure what the pattern is at this time, but over several hours of continuous work, PD13 hangs on me in various scenarios, not always but on a regurlar basis:

1. double clicking on a Title on the timeline

2. hitting 'play' after selecting Movie (from clip)

3. saving a menu template

4. etc.

Other times I'll get a Windows warning about running out of memory on a 16GB system and suggesting I close PD13 before loosing changes. I can see svchost.exe grabbing 4 to 6 GB on top of PD13's 2GB; as soon as I exit PD13, that 4-6GB comes back as available.

I'm at 2907.1 running Ultimate x64. I welcome any ideas as to why I'm seeing this instability. But at this time I'm specially interested in hearing from other users experiencing such behavior.
Quote: ... Some day when the $/GB on SSDs drops low enough, I may upgrade to all SSD for project storage too. I saw a 960 GB SSD for $314 at Fry's today. That's tempting. It's big enough for all my video projects to date.

Short term, go for the NAND SSD, but check the transfer rates: not all SSD's are created equal. But if you can wait for the 3D Xpoint (3D XPoint technology and AnandTech) ...
Quote: SSD will NOT bring any speed improvement. The bottleneck is somewhere else in this software ...

That's a pretty wide statement. SSD brought me tremendous speed improvement versus my previous 3 x ST3500320AS in RAID 5: I've got the benchmarks to prove it.

But you do have a valid point saying "The bottleneck is somewhere else in this software". I don't see outrageous resource usage with PD13 on editing tasks, but it's soooo slow still; it's certainly not IO intensive. PD13 internal architecture must have something to do with this.

When in Create mode on the other hand, I find PD13 uses all 8 of my cores at max, but still limits itself at 1.5-2 GB of memory, with very little disc IO's. I don't use HW assist.
Go to: