Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: SSD will NOT bring any speed improvement. The bottleneck is somewhere else in this software ...

That's a pretty wide statement. SSD brought me tremendous speed improvement versus my previous 3 x ST3500320AS in RAID 5: I've got the benchmarks to prove it.

But you do have a valid point saying "The bottleneck is somewhere else in this software". I don't see outrageous resource usage with PD13 on editing tasks, but it's soooo slow still; it's certainly not IO intensive. PD13 internal architecture must have something to do with this.

When in Create mode on the other hand, I find PD13 uses all 8 of my cores at max, but still limits itself at 1.5-2 GB of memory, with very little disc IO's. I don't use HW assist.
Quote: ... and then sped up to 8x speed. I have one music track that plays throughout it. (It is a timelapse of our son over the past two years)

Recently, the file has started causing me issues when trying to view the preview. When I play the preview, the video will slow down and get choppy for a second, and then skip ahead (by 20-50% of the video length) and freeze. The music continues to play, and when it catches up with where the video is frozen, the video resumes and continues until it happens again ...

Chiming in...

I have a ticket in with CL on an issue pretty similar to yours, speeding up clips (3x and 6x), then choppy, then forward while the audio keeps in sync. CL has acknowledged they were able to reproduce but said they would try to improve performance. Here's my reply:

I did some additional tests. Setting Shadow files Off and Full HD preview would be, I believe, the most performance demanding scenario. None the less, running under those conditions shows that:

1- CPU usage increase is about 3-5% on my system (from a PD13 idle state)

2- Memory usage increase is negligible, with about 10 GB still free

3- A peak of 5MB/s disk transfer, mainly read's (on a Samsung 840 EVO 1GB SSD)

There maybe other resource constraints internal to PD13, but the 3 resources mentioned above are usually the critical ones. It is difficult to envisage a PD13 performance issue in this case; I would tend to focus on a code logic issue.

SInce then, I've been using other enhancements, for example stabilizing, and I found PD13 to react strangely in edit preview mode, similar to the speed up issue.

I have a fairly well built system, so something is definitely weird. In the mean time, I've found that using 'Normal' Preview quality gets me out of trouble so far (don't use shadow files).
Quote: Sure, there is. It will work on your title 1 video. See this link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8383.page . You can choose any part of your title 1 video from begging to end to display in the root thumbnail.

Let us know if this help...

First off, thanks for helping out; I've tried searching the forum, unsuccessfully. I guess it's all in the determination of search key words, at which I'm not at my best.

I think I know what the poster is referring to: an existing title out of which you extract the image you want for the root menu. The post dates back to 2009 and I think PD has evolved since then so that you can select "Set the current frame as the title thumbnail" in Edit mode when in Chapters.

My objective is to use an image at the Create stage not part of any imported projects. There lies the challenge...
Importing several projects in Create mode is really great for filling up a BD with various projects: this approach preserves each project as a separate Title so that, if using menus, each chapter of each title can be selected.

Question

I'm using the Monopoly menu template. It seems that the highest level menus (level 1 and 2) grab the first frame of the first imported project as a thumbnail. A clumsy work around is to import a short video (I chose a geo map) and make it the first title, but that implies that that first title is selectable.

Is there an easier way to do this, that is forcing the template in using another image?

By the way, since you can't import an image in Create, I first produced a video with only an image on the timeline, then imported that video as the firs title. I initially tried a 1 frame video, but CL didn't appreciate that, so I stretched it to a few seconds.
Quote: ... You appear to have three separate project files - right? Why not drag each project file into the Edit workspace? Place the track slider where you want to place each project. ..

I gave it a try, but it didn't achieve what I wanted.

First, I tried File/Insert project. I was able to stich all 3 projects on the timeline, but it appears that inserting projects this way clears all chapters, so in Create I ended up with 1 title containing 1 scene.

Then I tried dragging projects onto the timeline. Worked fine for the first one, but any subsequent drag, even when positioning the slider at the end of the first dragged project, even after positioning on track #2, clears the timeline so I'm left with the last dragged project only.

So I conclude that the approach that meets my objectives is to import projects in Create disc.
Thanks Dafydd & Tomasc,

Q1 - Got it, but I now realize I'm better off be editing the original input project instead

Q2 & Q3 - I figured by experimenting that, as Tomasc said, it is a new and different project, so must delete/re-import
Have the option to automatically calculate and add the chapter duration (mm:ss) at the tail end of the chapter text. Would be useful for output of Creating disc with menus.
So I happily found out that I could import several projects in 'Create disk' mode to cram a few years of vacation video projects on 1 BD. Every new discovery brings new questions... I have 3 projects imported in a combo project:

1- When I hit Edit within that combo project, there's only one project on the time line; is there a way to access the other 2 within that combo project?

2- Will Editing participating project(s) within that combo project be saved in the original participating project?

3- Is there any way to 'update' the combo project when one of the participating projects has been modified outside of the combo project, short of deleting the participating project from the combo project and re-importing it? Deleting/re-importing also deletes the previous customized menu labeling
Quote: Hi CV27,
I've been monitoring your posts and have advised CyberLink of your observations.
Dafydd

Thanks!
Quote: Were you aware that solid state drives have what is called a "write life" This is the amount of times,or cycles, that can be written to it...

My Samsung 840 EVO 1T is rated at 1.5M hours with a 3 year warranty. I'm not remotely worried about running our of write cycles.

I'll probably drop this SSD because of new technologies, beyond M2 PCIe, or greater capacity/$ - long before the 840 EVO dies.
I did tests with chapter text overlapping thumbnail: still competed Create OK.

Then, while I was preparing for a second test, reducing the number of chapters per page, this caught my eye: even though I had initially set the nb of chapters per page at 5, the top righ corner showed 1, but the menu structure was showing 5 chapters under 1 title. I reset the number of chapters to 5, ran the Create and it completed OK.

I'm not sure how I got into this situation, but here's my theory, although I could not reproduce it.

I initially had a 3hr movie which had 14 chapters. I decided to split it in 2 parts. For part 1, I chopped off the tail end, so that apparently went well. But for part 2, I needed to chop the front end and at some point I believe PD13 got confused with reorganizing chapters. I should also mention that I was using specific frames for chapter thumbnails as opposed to the default.

P.S. I'm posting this here as I don't have a 'reply' button on my case# since the last exchange. Hope CL is reading...
Here's an update to my saga.

I did several tests: cut out accelerated clips, use another menu template, uncheck "include root menu" and "include opening menu video", etc. All unsuccessful.

After reading other posts I thought related to my issue, I tried what one of the posters said "worked" for him: specify "no menu".

Doing so, my project successfully completed a Create of an ISO. Having "no menu" defeats the purpose of a 1.5hr Blue Ray with 8 chapters, but at least this test sort of points me to a next step in debugging this issue.

I have long chapter text fields that overlap somewhat the thumbnail (World Monopoly template). So I'll try shorter text not overlapping and fewer chapters per page.

I believe there is a great opportunity for CL to clean up code logic: throughout these numerous tests, I've seen all sorts of strange behaviors. Why loading a project that has not changed a bit now throws CL into a 'not responding' state, while killing the process and reloading the project works perfectly well? Why do I get an error immediately at the start of a Create when that Create goes just fine after restarting CL?

CL has put in a tremendous set of functionality into PD over time. I think it's now time to clean up by coding for the exceptions.

I've often read that corruption in a movie can produce all kinds of strange behaviors. If this is what prevents me from completing my project, then I would recommend (already addressed to CL development)

1- more robust coding so that specifics are provided as to what is corrupted thus facilitating corrections; when PD13 aborts giving a cryptic error code, surely it has specifics as to what it didn't like

2- better yet, even more robust code that circumvents the corruption with a warning and completes the project

3- some utility that scans a project and its time line to detect corruptions
I have to agree with you: even the enhanced stabilizer doesn't produce better video, at leats for me in Edit preview. I haven't actually verified a finished product (Produce or Create disk): testing on a 3 hour video can drive you crazy
Quote: Interesting. I dismantled my 2 850 Pro SSD raid 0 array...

Running PD13 again with a single drive, I'm noticing no reduction in speed when scrubbing through video. Which seems odd. You would think raid 0 would be much faster?

I'm sure you did the typical initial performance tests when you got your SSD's and found that Raid 0 had clear benefits. In real life though, as with PD13 and scrubbing, resource usage in memory and CPU are so intense that disk access becomes less visible. But Raid 0 is still a winner for disk intensive tasks (boot, program load, long copies..).

Quote: ... Also been experimenting with enabling/disabling the Samsung Rapid mode for the single drive, in which up to 2gb of my 32gb of ram is used to supposedly further speed up the system. PD13 actually seems worse, with it on.

My 850 Pro is also set up at 2GB. I was not totally impressed with the performance boost from my initial tests having it On and Off. But I sure wouldn't go back to HDD.
Quote: Any idea why this video gets automatically rotated when imported into PowerDirector?

It views fine everywhere else

It's part of the embedded profile attributes . Run mediaInfo and look for the rotation parameter: 90°. It was encoded like that.
Quote: Trim the video so we don;t have to wiat too long to open it. I have a pretty fast internet and it has been several minutes.
What are the properties of thew video? Right clcik on it in your folder, select properties and then details.

The video is only 55MB: I see it coming at 10KB/sec, reminds me of the good old days of modems. The CL site has been so slow lately, maybe for longer (haven't been on for quite a while).
First off, you have been a great source of information for me, and the community at large I would bet, and this has been going on for many months bordering on years. What I like is that I accumulate more knowledge with each of your replies. So stay still as I try to add precision to my point.

Your mention of 'Render preview' was something I learned new. So I tried it on those 2 accelerated clips. CL visually showed (green bar on top of clips) shortly after that the sum of those 2 clips, 13 seconds, was apparently completed, but then there's a 'rendering' gauge that's been sitting at 0% for the last 15 minutes; Resource Mgr shows CPU usage (14%), no memoty usage variations, 0 disk activity for PD13.

How long can it take to render 13 seconds? Could it be more than (now) 20 minutes? Or could it be what I was referring to as code quality? Finally, I hit 'cancel' and the renderer green bar was still above those clips in Edit and, yes as you said, they now play correctly. Why did I have to hit cancel after (now) 30 minutes?

No, I'm not going to let it go. PD13 is function rich and will behave correctly if one follows a simple line. What I wish is that CL would sharpen up the more complex, non common, paths of its code.

It's not about functionality, it's about stability and quality of the implementation.
Quote: It was just a thought - If I send a PD file wirelessly to my HD player and there is a "-" in the file name. It just stops at 98% with no explanation. Took me ages to discover why

I'll keep that in mind for the next set of problems wink
Quote: I think you may have an illegal character in the file name that's stopping the file being completed. Try changing PD13-1 to PD13_1 and so on.

I hope this works for you

The file names 'PD13..." actually refer to attachments to my bug submission.

I just want to make sure I understand your post though. A dash '-' is a legal character in a file name, even on a volume name, under WIndows. Did I miss your point?
Just throwing this stuff out in case it triggers something from someone...

I did another test last night. Did a Create 'create a folder' as well as a 'save as disc image'.

The Create 'create a folder' completed ok, playable, all fine, with separate .m2ts for movie, intro and menus.

The Create 'save as disc image' terminated again with e80D00002. Like before, a ISO was created, albeit this time sized at 3GB, and when mounted again shows an allocation of 119GB with empty folders throughout.

I had initially thought that CL couldn't (erroneously) find 119GB of available space to write the ISO and that this triggered the error code. But, after looking at other functional ISO's, I realize now that once mounted they all show an allocation of 119GB, with actual size varying according to the movie.

So I've come to the conclusion that the issue is not really available space, there's lots of that. I've created other movie ISO's with CL that were successful, so it would appear not to be an issue with CL logic creating an ISO.

The issue seems to be around a combination of preparing output material for ISO (or burning direct to BD) -and- this particular movie.

Peeking into the created ISO shows that it's populated, but obviously missing some structural elements. I'll try to find a utility that can check the integrity of an ISO.

Any suggestions welcome as to where to investigate next.

P.S. I was thinking of falling back to PD12, but that involves hours of uncertain work.
Quote: In addition to the previous post, I'd ask you to heed this request from that link;
Empty the contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp folder, if you have one. Then empty the Recycle Bin.

Get back to us with your results, please.

Already done. Are you hinting at a lack of space issue when suggesting clearing out TEMP folders, or a conflict with their contents? Look at the issue I've submitted to CL:

I have a movie that I'm trying to create with 'save as disc image', but it aborts at 98% completion with error e80D00002 (or eEB191789 if burning directly to blue ray). See 'PD13-1...' attachment.

The attached file 'pd13-2...' show that an ISO is created sized at around 20GB, which is about right given I did a Produce of it at close to that size.

When I mount that non functional ISO, attachment 'PD13-3... ' shows it has an allocation of 119GB, which exceeds the free space of 80GB on that drive, but all directories are empty.This is repeatable. I have Created several other movies of even greater size with no issue. All were created H.264, 1920x1080x60FPS.Also attached is...
Go to: