Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hello Joachim,
Glad TMT worked out for you.
Maybe more people will read this and decide they had enough problems with PowerDVD and make the switch.
Hopefully Cyberlink will take notice and come out with a bug free stable program that works without patches and countless support tickets.
I'm still am not happy I paid for the retail version of PowerDVD Ultra 8 and can't even get it to work using Windows 7 64 bit OS.
I feel like I have been ripped off.
I am however VERY happy with my purchase of Arcsoft TMT 3 Platinum as a replacement.
It has performed flawlessly!!!
So far the program has played EVERY new blu-ray movie with NO issues, NO crashes, NO patches or updates.
This is certainly more than I can say for any of the PowerDVD Ultra 8-9 versions I tried.
Windows 7 32 bit or 64bit?
Good luck getting PowerDVD 8 to work with Windows7.
Some members claim they have been able to get it to work but after submitting numerous support tickets and No working fixes I gave up.
Was finally able to uninstall the last trial version of PowerDVD Ultra 9 and decided to give it one more try.
Upon a successful installation it fails to open and gave an error message about some file being missing from the library blah blah.
This is the LAST STRAW for me and cyberlink products.
I have stuck with them for the last 5 years and after upgrading my computer to Windows 7 64 bit, I am SICK of ALL the PROBLEMS this has given me.
I can't get my paid version of PowerDVD Ultra 8 to work or the trial version of Ultra 9.
I have been given nothing but canned answers and no working solutions to my problems.
I'M FINISHED!! You have lost another customer.
I have decided to take advantage of the promotional special and purchase Arcsoft TMT Platinum which actually works.
It may not be quite as sophisticated as Ultra9 but it plays blu-ray movies without crashing and without all the other problems I have had with recent PowerDVD programs.
It's to bad Cyberlink can't seem to produce a reliable program that doesn't a require major effort and countless aggregation to get to work properly.
I now can't even remove the PowerDVD9 folder from the program list. It gives me a message that it is being used by another program.
How the heck do I get rid of this horrible program????
I am at the end of my rope with Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 8 & 9.
Ever since I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64 bit, these PowerDVD programs have been nothing but a total nightmare and will not play blu-ray movies at all.
I have unistalled , reinstalled, applied patches and it still won't work.
I'm ready to just write these off as a total loss and go somewhere else.
I was able to remove it from my program list but the program folder is still there and contains about 170mb of data.
Tech support wants me try and find a hidden folder and perform all these registry edits.
How the hell is a novice user suppose to do all this??
This is such BS that you have to go through all this just to get this off your computer.
If I had known I would have to endure all this grief I would have NEVER tried this program.
The program should come with a big warning label, beware user.
Welcome to the club.
This program is a nightmare.
I have NEVER had so many problems with a single program on my computer.
This is turning into the program from hell.
Looking through the FAQ there is advise on how to remove this from XP and Vista, Vista 64bit, but NO Windows 7.
My computer was working fine before I installed this and now I can't even get rid of it.
I am only a novice computer user and don't have the skills to be trying registry edits to get rid of this nightmare.
Now I will probably have to hire somebody to remove this program so my computer doesn't get screwed up.
I wish I could sue this company for all the hell this is putting me through.
Was working for a couple of weeks and now I can't open the program or even uninstall it! I'm using Windows 7 64bit.
Here's open info:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PowerDVD9.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ac4a7d2
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003e831
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4c0d
Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Additional Information 3: 4c0d
Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

When I try to uninstall it it gives me a 1628 error message saying it can't finish installing it.
It keeps trying to install the program instead of uninstalling it.

Please help!!!
Was informed by tech support and my latest support ticket to install the latest 3017 patch for PowerDVD 8.0 Ultra.
This was a complete waste of time as my ultra 8 program still won't play blu-ray movies with Windows 7.
Now when a blu-ray movie is put in the drive the program won't even open.
I just want a working solution so my program will play blu-ray movies.
Next thing they are going to tell me is I need to upgrade to Ultra 9
I am getting tried of getting the run around.
I was finally sent a new username and password that worked.
Unfortunately it was all in vain as the new download version of PowerDVD Ultra 2521 still will NOT play a blu-ray movie using Windows 7.
Upon loading a blu-ray movie it tells you that it needs a periodic update. You click on yes and it tells you the update is complete.
After this the blu-ray movie will not play NO matter what.
If you don't click on the update option the movie still won't play and the update window keeps appearing.
This is SOOOOO frustrating.
I have heard others say PowerDVD Ultra8 is working for them using Windows 7 so what's up?
The only thing I have been able to get to work is the trial version of PowerDVD Ultra9
I was sent a user name and password from my support ticket to the Ultra8 2251 download link. I have tried 20 times using lower case, upper case, exactly how it is spelled, copy and paste and NOTHING will activate the link. I have contacted technical support and they have told me it works for them and try it again. I have tried 15 times more to get it to work using different browsers and everything I can think of. It won't work. I have NEVER had this problem with any other online products I have purchased.
Now I am stuck with NO program and NO replacement.
What am I suppose to do since I can't get this to work??
My build was version: 2521
Here is the response I got from my support ticket.
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

We understand your concern related with Windows Aero mode.

Please note that when you play any Blu-Ray disc, it requires a lot of GPU memory and same is the case with Windows 7 Aero Mode.

Therefore, in order to save GPU memory for smooth playback of Blu-Ray discs, the Aero Mode of Windows 7 is temporarily disabled.

Once you close the PowerDVD software, the Windows 7 Aero Mode is activated automatically.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in this issue or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Thanks and Regards

CyberLink Technical Support
Join the club with nothing but problems with PowerDVD Ultra8 after upgrading to Windows7. I was getting the same messages and then couldn't even get it to play blu-ray movies. Opened a support ticket and was sent a user name and password for the Ultra8 download link. Now I can't get the username or password to work no matter how I enter it. I have not had problems with other products I have purchased, but for some reason this one can't be copied or pasted, and won't activate no matter how it is entered. Now I am stuck with NO program and NO replacement.
Running Windows 7 64 bit as well.
Just tried the trial PowerDVD Ultra 9 and noticed the same thing.
As soon as the blu-ray movie starts a notice comes up telling that aero is disabled and is switched to Windows basic.
The message say's it is not compatible with the player program.
What's up with this?
Tried the trial version of Arcsoft TMT 3 and when the blu-ray movie plays Aero is not disabled.
Will Cyberlink have a fix for this or are we stuck with having to watch with aero disabled?
Since I already own PowerDVD Ultra 8 I would like to only have to pay for the Ultra9 upgrade instead of buying a whole new program like TMT3.
At the same time I want something that works and utilizes my aero capabilities.
Is this asking to much?
What latest update?
Just upgraded from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows 7 64bit.
Now my PowerDVD Ultra 8 program won't play blu-ray movies anymore.
It will play DVD's, but this isn't what I bought this program for.
Every time I put a blu-ray movie in it tells me it needs a periodic upgrade.
I click on yes and it tells me the upgrade is completed.
As soon as I hit play or resume the same upgrade message comes back up.
The blu-ray movie will NOT play no matter what.
I ran the Windows 7 compatibility test and there where no issues reported.
This just totally sucks as all I have now is a worthless program that plays DVD's instead of blu-ray.
Go to: